• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction ⫸Should I Try HEROIN?⫷

I once spoke to a very prominent addictionologist who's been treating heroin addicts for 20 years. His take was the addiction didn't kill but the things an addict can't control frequently did-cuts, contamination, unsterile points etc. he called it "The short cut to hell".

Addiction is only ever an issue if the drug is IV'd. Fact (Simmons & Catterwell, 2012; Matthews & Qin, 2004, Albert et al., 2009). Stick to snorting and/or smoking and you not only avoid addiction, but have a wonderful drug to help you deal with stress, depression a-motivational syndrome and malaise. It really is the panacea of all panaceas.

You can be addicted to heroin if you snort or smoke too. People write different opinions on any subject. And I get that. Other perspectives, different studies, etc. Apart from my own experience and from others, I feel you can't go around that. There's are addicts from heroin who haven't IV''d yet but are physically hooked. As a matter of fact, smoking dope provides a great rush for some, especially in great amounts. Almost as IV'd. Some people prefer a different ROA. That's all.

I can understand how the needle obsession makes it all much more difficult to quit but that doesn't mean one can't get addicted to heroin using other methods. It will take a little longer to get you physically addicted but psychologically addiction is 'installed' already just like love at first sight imho/e.

If you would like to be another cog in the machine, then by all means try heroin.

You can be addicted to heroin if you snort or smoke too. People write different opinions on any subject. And I get that. Other perspectives, different studies, etc. Apart from my own experience and from others, I feel you can't go around that. There's are addicts from heroin who haven't IV''d yet but are physically hooked. As a matter of fact, smoking dope provides a great rush for some, especially in great amounts. Almost as IV'd. Some people prefer a different ROA. That's all.

I can understand how the needle obsession makes it all much more difficult to quit but that doesn't mean one can't get addicted to heroin using other methods. It will take a little longer to get you physically addicted but psychologically addiction is 'installed' already just like love at first sight imho/e.

^^^^ All very correct information! I myself was addicted to H long before I stuck a needle in my arm. I snorted high quality east-coast H for 2years before I picked up the needle... I had a bad addiction to H before the needle, but it also got a lot worse when I did start using a syringe. Now I have 6 felonies, but thankfully I have been H clean for 1 1/2 years due to being on suboxone. Now I am working on getting off the sub... But you CAN get addicted to heroin even if you are just smoking or snorting. Heroin is a terrible drug and will certainly ruin your life quick. Im 28 now and started heroin when I was 23, and in that short of time like I said I now have 6 felonies lost my student aid for college also been dropped out for three years now... It robs you of your life and if you dont stop it, you will eventually die...

Best and smart Idea, please NEVER EVER try heroin if you havent already. If you must try an opiate take a pill but never cross over to H. It will eventually become your worse decision!!

Idk if kids are peer pressuring eachother into using this substance, but if they are id stay away from those kids at all cost. H is not worth your life or anyone, so if you have a friend using try to help. But they have to want to quit. Jail n rehab suck especially jail!

And those are the two places H will bring you too, if not dead or OD.

Heroin is a terrible drug, with horrific consequences!! As said above one way ticket to hell!

Be smart and research every drug before use, so you have the knowledge of the drug and its power. Bluelight is GREAT for information, also wikki is very helpful and has alot of resources.

Peace take care
every one!

Addiction is only ever an issue if the drug is IV'd. Fact (Simmons & Catterwell, 2012; Matthews & Qin, 2004, Albert et al., 2009). Stick to snorting and/or smoking and you not only avoid addiction, but have a wonderful drug to help you deal with stress, depression a-motivational syndrome and malaise. It really is the panacea of all panaceas.

Completely untrue. I'm a little amazed you cited a source as 'evidence' backing your claim. Just because you read anything someplace in an article/journal/book that doesn't make it a fact. And here I'm not trying to be a prick - I'm just telling you you're misinformed. The ROA of addictive drugs doesn't change the addictive quality of the drugs. Just because you don't inject your heroin doesn't mean you can't be addicted. I'm sick of this perpetuating of a stereotype - the strung out needle-using heroin addict who is diseased and close to death. You know what doesn't make sense about this if in fact what you said is true? A lot of those users started doing heroin by smoking or snorting, and it being the very addictive drug it is, they graduated to injection to get the same effect and the rush they experienced in the beginning but can't find anymore.

I hope you haven't told many younger users about this 'fact' because you'd just be inviting them to come test the waters of a highly addictive drug and see how long they can snort/smoke H before they need to start on the needle too. That sounds dangerous to me.

Completely untrue. I'm a little amazed you cited a source as 'evidence' backing your claim. Just because you read anything someplace in an article/journal/book that doesn't make it a fact. And here I'm not trying to be a prick - I'm just telling you you're misinformed. The ROA of addictive drugs doesn't change the addictive quality of the drugs. Just because you don't inject your heroin doesn't mean you can't be addicted. I'm sick of this perpetuating of a stereotype - the strung out needle-using heroin addict who is diseased and close to death. You know what doesn't make sense about this if in fact what you said is true? A lot of those users started doing heroin by smoking or snorting, and it being the very addictive drug it is, they graduated to injection to get the same effect and the rush they experienced in the beginning but can't find anymore.

I hope you haven't told many younger users about this 'fact' because you'd just be inviting them to come test the waters of a highly addictive drug and see how long they can snort/smoke H before they need to start on the needle too. That sounds dangerous to me.

Misinformation has a lot to do with how I started using all the drugs I use. I smoked weed as a teenager, and then I discovered all the lies I had been told about weed all my life. It wasn't such a bad drug, I wasn't instantly addicted and there were no withdrawals.

So, of course, I assumed most everything I heard about all other drugs must be untrue as well. This was a big part in my decision to use harder drugs... If I hadn't been lied to about "the dangers of weed" then I would not have had the reason to doubt the dangers of more dangerous drugs.

Misinformation is damaging. It's a shame it's so rampant, even in today's day and age. Luckily, places like Bluelight exist, but places like this don't reach far enough.

And, no, No one should ever try herion. But the reality is many people will still try herion despite this. All we can do is provide good information; we try to dissuade them from starting in the first place, and if they do start, then we try to offer as much harm reduction through good advice as possible.

Addiction is the same wether the method

Dosnt matter how h,or any drug is used,addiction is addiction, the only difference in each method is the bioavalibilty, for eg,herion smoked only gives 60% bioavalibilty. Sniffing80% and injecting100%. That means with spiking you get the whole of the drug in return the whole effect..that makes iv withdraws a bit more extreme than other methods used.herion is BULLSHIT!! Stay away.and yeh crack is shit too,"spotting" for the leftovers of the drug is just ridiculous..oh and people im starting a 4 day detox sleep therapy,with no withdraws and after 4 days u ok.iv done it before and it works.the only problem was i just never sayed clean,but this time i will,i am!cos my chances are all out and i want to be someone in life and sucseed!iv been using herion now for basicaly 15 yrs,im 30 now.this shits got to stop..any one intristed in the details on the sleep therapy detox.plz send me a message..one luv

Just shoot a huge dose of that sunshine into your vein dude! It's so worth it. ;)

lol no don't do it, it's not worth it. Personally when I tried smoking it I didn't really find it addictive, but you still have to exercise caution. Also, to answer DragonGirl727: "SWIM" is an acronym for "someone who isn't me", and is used to conceal the drug users identity. Kratom is a plant used for recreational purposes; depending on the strain, it could be stimulating, sedating etc.

Last edited:
Kratom does produce opiate feeling, in fact you might as well as stay away from it it just like any opiate due to the fact tolerance developes rather quickly which eventually leads to addiction. This is a substance that should be used with caution in the addiction area. As with many other things only moderate use is advised, also daily use should be avoided, all though I have read before of people using it to slowly withdraw from opiates. All in all opiate addiction is a serious matter and I truely advise not even to bother with this class of drugs. I myself am a former IV heroin addict (now on suboxone) but I started with just plain old codeine then progressed to vicodin then of course oxy codone all forms I could score, and then the ultimate ride H. Ive posted numerous times now in this developing thread, and will continue to do so as long as open... PLEASE IF YOUR READING THIS AND HAVE NOT TRIED HEROIN, PLEASE DO NOT! !!!!!!

I will leave it at that
-bEnZo bUdDyY-

That's true, most of us don't start with heroin but with with weak opiates on weekends or whenever we can. Although I don't really appreciate doctors that avoid prescribing morphine or other stronger opiates when we go through surgeries or during really painful events, the use of these prescribed meds helped me getting addicted, that's why I think one shouldn't try heroin because it's even more "dangerous" (appealing) than most common opiates. More intense and with an address to come back whenever you feel like.

At the end, it's just a matter of time imo/e. No matter how you do it or how often you keep it recreational eventually I believe you may be strongly addicted to this and that's something we don't forget. Not even if we manage to become sober. There will always be that remembrance of how it feels. And some of the cravings can lead you right back to it, especially if you are going through a tough moment. Moments that you are so sad or hurt that you'll think I know how that works, I will just do it once to get some relief and you are right back to the routine. That's how it works.

That's true, most of us don't start with heroin but with with weak opiates on weekends or whenever we can. Although I don't really appreciate doctors that avoid prescribing morphine or other stronger opiates when we go through surgeries or during really painful events, the use of these prescribed meds helped me getting addicted, that's why I think one shouldn't try heroin because it's even more "dangerous" (appealing) than most common opiates. More intense and with an address to come back whenever you feel like.

At the end, it's just a matter of time imo/e. No matter how you do it or how often you keep it recreational eventually I believe you may be strongly addicted to this and that's something we don't forget. Not even if we manage to become sober. There will always be that remembrance of how it feels. And some of the cravings can lead you right back to it, especially if you are going through a tough moment. Moments that you are so sad or hurt that you'll think I know how that works, I will just do it once to get some relief and you are right back to the routine. That's how it works.

Everytime .... Ive had countless relapses where I used that saying O will do it just once... Generally with H there is NO one time, especially if you have previous opiate abuse....

I think everything could be tried with the right information and a good mental health.
I understand the risks of opiates and I have suffered them, though I have always managed to get clean after 3 months or so of addiction.
Nowadays I am an almost no user as I don't get the wonderful feeling and benefits from before., and I get hooked really quickly (physically).
But the "just don't do it" I believe is more harmful than not, as it might add mystery and curiosity to the thing. This have been proved from a long time anti-drug campaign.
I think the percentage of people who ends up deep really hooked from all people who ever tried will be really small. In my experience most first time users don't like it at all.
All that said, we are talking about a difficult horse to ride (for some types might be and impossible one), so be aware.
Be safe and don't panic.

I also see an appeal when we say don't do this. It's human and people are curious. Perhaps we must think of other things that could be more productive. Some people share some of their life situation and that could be a good strategy or simply pointing out to the ugly truth. I believe it's hard to forget when you try. And even harder not to repeat the experience. At some point it will be a matter of time and timing.

Thos may be a waste of time writing this, and possibly in the wrong forum. or I may not articulate it well. but I have come to a realisation. The first time we try anything be it drugs alcohol sex junk food or anything is always the best time we will ever experience it. Most of all drugs. I have spent 15 years experimenting with all sorts of street highs and gotten bored of most/couldnt deal with hangovers, this was until I started to be prescribed painkillers for my arthritis, as someone who has already had the fun with drugs and gotten over it i figured painkillers were nothing more than a strong paracetamol. the doctor told me nothing more. I was prescribed 100 50mg tramadol a month 50 30mg codeine and 12 5mg diazepam to help me sleep. not one word was uttered about any kind of worry. doctor never asked about any history with drugs however it wouldnt have mattered as ive never nbeen ruled by them. it started 6 years ago. I took 2 tramadol and the feeling was unlike anything id felt. Id spent years taking pills/mdma and I know the great feeling but this wasnt that. this was something more natural. this was like suddenly feeling like everything you had been worried about was ok. like youd suddenly realised that the worries you had didnt matter.it was a feeling that couldnt be belittled by drugs as I felt coherant, just happy. plus they were prescription. If i could sell that feeling Id be a millionaire, however, it will always come at a cost. unfortunately, its 4 years later now, and its too late to warn anyone. well thats not true but if Im on this site i think its too late. Im tired now and want to continue, but not sure if anyoen wants to hear the end, if you do, let me know and ill kick myself into it xxxx

I also see an appeal when we say don't do this. It's human and people are curious. Perhaps we must think of other things that could be more productive. Some people share some of their life situation and that could be a good strategy or simply pointing out to the ugly truth. I believe it's hard to forget when you try. And even harder not to repeat the experience. At some point it will be a matter of time and timing.

I think is all about who you are and in which circumstances you are.

We tend to be too self-absorbed to realize how different are all experiences for another conscious person (their qualia). We cannot actually know what they will feel in any moment, we are just guessing with our only experience of consciousness as a reference.

So those of you who got into a deep hole by trying heroin shouldn't start thinking it will be the same for all others, though I understand you can never consider it worth the risks.
And those of us who ''might'' have gotten more benefits than pain shouldn't forget other people won't be so lucky
...And ALL of us shouldn't forget things might change in our own experience.

In the heroin case the only thing we might be able to consider the ultimate truth is that the more pleasure you get in your first times the more of a danger it will be...and we probably we could say that about lots of other pleasurable and risky things (velocity, sex, money come to mind).
Getting into what amount of danger can be dealt with with will power will be getting into the determinism against free-will discussion. And there the deeper I go the more confused I get. So no comment.

I just don't like seeing people demonizing drugs. Neither making apology of them. Though I find myself doing both sometimes. Greeks said drugs were just things. Neither good not bad. It's the use people make of them the moralistic part of the story.

At the end of the day I think we mostly agree, though our past and our own TRUTH make it feel like we are not.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity. I understand that some people in this thread have tried both methamphetamine and heroin and I was wondering which is more psychology addictive in your opinions since I've tried meth and heroin isn't available where I live. I understand opiates have a extreme physical withdrawals and that everyone is going to have different preferences as far as drugs. But I would just like to know some opinions on which one is more psychologically addictive?