Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Anyone else had a codeine addiction?

Eveleivibe

Ex-Bluelighter
THE CODEINE ADDICTION SUPPORT THREAD.

[bWhat is Codeine? [/b]

Codeine is an opiate which is used to treat moderate to severe pain and also can be used for the suppression of dry coughs. It was discovered by Pierre Jean Robiquet in 1832.

When used for pain codeine is often mixed with drugs such as paracetamol, ibuprofen or Aspirin These drugs work well with codeine in alleviating pain but are potentially dangerous when abused. The daily recommended amount for paracetamol is no more than 4 grams in a 24-hour period. ibuprofen no more than 2.4 grams and aspirin no more than 3 grams per day (double check these). Abuse of paracetamol can cause liver damage or even liver failure. ibuprofen in excessive amounts, can bring on stomach ulcers, bleeding in the stomach and kidney damage. Aspirin in excess can cause risk of Gastrointestinal bleeding / haemorrhage, peptic ulcers perforation, abdominal pain and or bowel problems. .

In some countries caffeine is also included in codeine-based medicines aimed at tackling pain. Caffeine, in excess can cause anxiety, insomnia and the heart to beat faster.

Harm Reduction (HR) Advice when using codeine-based products

Codeine addiction is problematic, not only because codeine, similar to other opiates can bring on respiratory depression or even death, when taken in excess, but in combination with the above drugs can be a dangerous concoction when addicted. For this reason it is advised to use a harm reduction (HR) method known as Cold Water Extraction (CWE) to separate the paracetamol or ibuprofen from the codeine as much as possible. Rather than explain the method of CWE I will leave the link to an informative thread produced by monstanoodle, titled; Newcomers - Cold Water Extraction: Method Do's & Don'ts . There are also plenty other threads that explain this technique in various places on BL particularly in sub-forums Basic Drug Discussion or Other Drugs.

When used for pain relief in conjuction with the other aforementioned drugs, it's usually in pill or capsule form. For supression of dry cough codeine is in liquid form know as Codeine Linctus. A prescription is not needed to purchase codeine linctus but it is down to the descretion of the pharmacist whether or not s/he will sell it to the customer. Whether or not codeine, for pain relief, has to be prescribed or can be given over the counter (OTC) is determined by the strength in dose of the codeine. Anything that is 12.8 mg codeine or less can be obtained OTC, but similar to codeine linctus, it all depends on the descretion of the pharmacists. 15 n 30 mg codeine, whether with other drugs or codeine only, cannot be obtained without a prescription in the UK.

Another piece of HR advice is to not use the route of administration (ROA), intravenous (IV) commonly known as injecting for codeine. Doing so could possibly bring on a excessive release of histamine, possibly leading to hypotension, which is otherwise known as low blood pressure. According to Medscape.com it is possible that the myocardial function may become depressed and also report a possible link between IV codeine in children and seizers. Diazepam, a benzodiazepine, and naloxone an opiate antagonist, were administered to a seven year child after having a seizer - and stopped further or continuing seizers. With the mention of naloxone it is important to note that naloxone is also used for opiate-overdose (OD), partially Heroin, where the public are advised to use the ROA, inter-muscle (IM) often advised to use the thigh muscle and through the person's clothing as it's an emergency. Many areas within the UK offer training to addicts and professionals as well as hand out naloxone kits as a HR measure.

It is advisable not to take codeine while breastfeeding a baby - or to stop breastfeeding if put onto codeine. This is because the codeine is metabolized to morphine in the liver n Morphine can go through breastmilk potentially causing harm or even death to the child.

Further advice would be to be careful taking codeine with other depressant substances including other opiates as well as benzos n alcoholsi. This is especially so if the person is abusing / addicted to codeine n thus taking large qualities. Consuming codeine with other depressant substances heightens the possible risk respiratory depression n possibly death.

What is addiction?

Addiction can be a physical or psychological (or both) attachment to the behaviour or substance, often termed drug of choice (DoC). A person has become addicted when they realise they have tried to stop but are unable to - ans when the desire becomes as important - or more so - than eating, drinking or survival in general.

Some definitions of addiction;

"A physical or psychological need for a habit-forming substance, such as a drug or alcohol. In physical addiction, the body adapts to the substance being used and gradually requires increased amounts to reproduce the effects originally produced by smaller doses." Dictionary.com

"Addiction is a persistent, compulsive dependence on a behavior or substance." Medical Dictionary

Evey

Last edited:
I hope note, I've been taking about 300mg a day for a few months, I don't get the feeling of dependence and can go all day on occasion without taking any.

I've been on and off Codeine and morphine for 18 months but I'm still pretty confident I'd suffer noting more than a bit of discomfort and a bout of the shits if I CTd

At the end of the day, opiate addiction is opiate addiction. It's not unheard of for people with codeine habits to be scripted that kind of dose.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it if you can help it. Americans have a huge selection of prescription opioids at their disposal, so they tend to perceive codeine as being extremely weak. Which is obviously true in the grand scheme of things, but that doesn't mean it's not highly addictive.

How long have you been on suboxone, and for how long have you been using codeine, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm addicted to two bottle of codeine linctus per day, alongside Nurofen Plus tablets. Total daily codeine intake of around a gram and a half, sometimes closer to 2 grams. Recent efforts have seen me knock around 300mg off that total but it was damn hard and there's a hell of a long way left go.

It's interesting that you've already worked up the courage to seek help Evey. How much were you taking and what options were offered?

Certainly haven't got an addiction but have a bloody annoying tolerance of about 330mg that diminishes not one little bit no matter how long I leave it between doses. The longest I've left it is probably a couple of weeks. It would be really nice to get off on 180mg again one day - is that ever going to happen? Do I have to stop for 6 months/a year or something to get the tolerance down?

Any answers welcome.

At the end of the day, opiate addiction is opiate addiction. It's not unheard of for people with codeine habits to be scripted that kind of dose.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it if you can help it. Americans have a huge selection of prescription opioids at their disposal, so they tend to perceive codeine as being extremely weak. Which is obviously true in the grand scheme of things, but that doesn't mean it's not highly addictive.

How long have you been on suboxone, and for how long have you been using codeine, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you, Sammy. Been on suboxone since May 23. WAs sti having cravings n started drinking heavy so had my suboxone increased to 12 mg in November n since everything is a lot better. I'm exercising, losing weight, volunteering, on Monday I'll be 34 n I've volunteered to wrap presents for the homeless - I'm actually looking to it n have been contacting the man whos organising it for ages to let me know the day as I'd like to help out.

Evey x

I'm addicted to two bottle of codeine linctus per day, alongside Nurofen Plus tablets. Total daily codeine intake of around a gram and a half, sometimes closer to 2 grams. Recent efforts have seen me knock around 300mg off that total but it was damn hard and there's a hell of a long way left go.

It's interesting that you've already worked up the courage to seek help Evey. How much were you taking and what options were offered?

I was forced to seek help from my parents who live down road from me. They kept raiding my house for codeine etc n I had to go to tbeir house EVERY TIME I needed a dose.
Im on 12 suboxone. I asked for suboxone as a friend who had also been addicted to codeine had been on suboxone n it worked for her.

How much were you taking each day?

SHM, that's really strange. My tolerance has already dropped noticeably since starting my reduction on Sunday. A dose that barely held me Monday morning now gives me the comfy blanket feeling.

I am, however, all too aware that tolerance rises just as quickly as it can drop, if not more so.

Last edited:
Certainly haven't got an addiction but have a bloody annoying tolerance of about 330mg that diminishes not one little bit no matter how long I leave it between doses. The longest I've left it is probably a couple of weeks. It would be really nice to get off on 180mg again one day - is that ever going to happen? Do I have to stop for 6 months/a year or something to get the tolerance down?

Any answers welcome.

Would be interested to know this too, got pretty much the same problem. A normal recreational dose for me is around 600mg if you round up and it never dips below that regardless of if I leave a few days or a few months between using. Tolerance increases; When I was taking it regularly at the beginning of the year I'd go up to 900 but it never seems to decrease past the level I mentioned above, which was pretty much my starting dose.

edit: I mean I worked up incrementally to 600mg before i felt any pronounced effects, not that I just woke up one day and decided to bosh that much with no prior experience.

Hi,

I have been taking codine 30 mg tablets for about a year or so now. I started taking them for pain and started to like the feeling they gave me. I felt confident and had a sense of happiness. However i started taking 150 to 200 mg per day. I new i had a problem. So did my parents and boyfriend. I went cold turkey a few month ago and lasted about 2 weeks however the restless legs and insomnia got the better of me and im now back on them. Ive tappered down to 60 mg per day now and im continuing to go down further. I want to quit and be my old self again. If i go cold turkey now from 60mg will the symptoms be bad? Is there anythting i can do to help the symptoms? Especially the no sleep part? Would love some advice and support from you guys

Thank you

X

I'm not the best of giving advice lol I'm on 12 mg suboxone. They tried putting me on 60 mg a day n I couldn't hack it. Awh it's lovely to be around Brits where we all understand each other xxxx

I agree it is Lovely how suportive everyone is. Sometimes i cant beleive the mess ive got myself in but speaking to others helps. Im going to continue tappering down i know its only a Low does but its still really difficult coming off them. I cant get any medical help as i work in the medical profession myself and would loose my job if i had addict on my record. After christmas im going cold turkey. If you dont mind me asking eve how much were you taking and for what reason? Its nice to know im not alone. :) if any one else has any advice on going ct please help!

X

Hi,

I have been taking codine 30 mg tablets for about a year or so now. I started taking them for pain and started to like the feeling they gave me. I felt confident and had a sense of happiness. However i started taking 150 to 200 mg per day. I new i had a problem. So did my parents and boyfriend. I went cold turkey a few month ago and lasted about 2 weeks however the restless legs and insomnia got the better of me and im now back on them. Ive tappered down to 60 mg per day now and im continuing to go down further. I want to quit and be my old self again. If i go cold turkey now from 60mg will the symptoms be bad? Is there anythting i can do to help the symptoms? Especially the no sleep part? Would love some advice and support from you guys

Thank you

X

You'll still feel withdrawal from 60mg, yes.

Benzos can help a lot with sleep. If you can't get access to diazepam then etizolam (or one of the other legally-available options) will do the job. Bear in mind that they're highly addictive though.

Promethazine and / or diphenhydramine can hep - they're both available OTC. Some people find they're no use during withdrawal, but I find they are, and they don't present the same addiction risks as benzos.

Thanks for all the advice :) i can get a hold of diazepam how many mg do you think would help me sleep?

X

I never knew you could legally got etizolam. Isn't that a benzo? Sorry for my ignorance - I've only heard of the drug on Bluelight xxxx

I never knew you could legally got etizolam. Isn't that a benzo? Sorry for my ignorance - I've only heard of the drug on Bluelight xxxx

It is a thienodiazepine

The etizolam molecule differs from a benzodiazepine in that the benzene ring has been replaced by a thiophene ring, making the drug a thienodiazepine.[2] It possesses amnesic, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, hypnotic, sedative and skeletal muscle relaxant properties.

Yeah, I've had a codeine addiction; started taking Dihydrocodeine young around 14. 60 mgs back then would have me itching my tits off lol. I remember the WD's back then being absolutely unbearable, but in retrospect they were nothing compared to say a morphine or heroin rattle.

The good thing about codeine is how short lasting they are; the withdrawal process doesnt take long at all; after 5 days max i was back to 100%