European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Platform-Independent Technical Gibberings - hardware and "Internet"

knock

Bluelighter
Well this is weird, I have an email address, [email protected], and I've been getting dozens of facebook emails to it, even though I don't use that email for facebook. I've just ignored them until now. I thought maybe I had set it up while fucked or something. Anyway I tried logging in with some of my usual passwords and that didn't work, so I reset the password and got in. On the way in Facebook pops up a message. Paraphrasing:

facebook said:
You've been sending friend requests to people you don't know:

- long list
- of people
- who I
- don't know

Behave yourself! Do you understand? Yes/no

So I clicked yes and got into the account. Got a few chat messages:

chat messages said:
Sorry but who are you? You've added me as a friend...

Who are you?

Hi

Happy birthday

I've got 29 friends, none of whom I recognise. These "Who are you?" messages and the lack of profile details and general activity (I've made no status updates and written on no walls) made me think it's a fake account that's maybe being used as part of a scam. The only details I've completed in my profile are my date of birth (I'm four years younger) and my school: "snip school" which is in Gravesend. I didn't go there. But some of the friends also went to snip school, so either the scammer looked up people who went to snip or it's not a scammer at all.

I didn't do this, and I don't understand how someone could create a facebook account with an email address that I control, how did they confirm their email address when the account was created? It was set up on 1st August and dozens of friend requests were sent out on the same day.

It's like there is another extremely secretive knock in Gravesend who has gone a bit daft on facebook. Anyone else had something similar?

Last edited:
Not had anything like that with Facebook so far.
As this is internet & technical thread, can anyone recommend a good mobile broadband internet dongle.
Not got the money to pay for internet connection at home so thought a dongle would be a cheaper way to go.
Any ideas on which ones are best to buy, not bothered about downloading films but would mainly just need it for email, browsing and downloading some music.
Any help would be great as it's as confusing as sorting out the right phone tariff can be.

Well this is weird, I have an email address, [email protected], and I've been getting dozens of facebook emails to it, even though I don't use that email for facebook......

....I've got 29 friends, none of whom I recognise.

lol, the things Knock get's upto when he's completely off his trolley late at night.

I went for a jog with my MP3 player (which has a few boring, predictable songs on it)... Half the way thru the jog and this insane 1 hour DNB mix comes on and i'm loving it. I must have downloaded it when I was smashed one night and forgotten doing it. What a lovely surprise that was.

EDIT - Knock, all it means is that a facebook user has changed their email address on their own account to your email address. Most likely a scammer; someone making a false account. I do it all the time. Make false facebook accounts so I can add all the pretty girls I knew from school and perve at their pictures.

EDIT x 2... Hang on. It looks like you actually created the facebook account yourself one night?!

Either someones hacked ur password and used the account to add friends and use it as a false account

or you have done all this on a night of too much al-lad and booze

Last edited:
What's weird is that I've just lost control of the account again. I posted a status update asking for anyone who knows this other knock to come forward so I can give him back his account with his own email. No replies, but now I can't log in as the password has been changed :sus:

edit: I can still get in via my email though.

knock is now friends with knock

I have sent myself a message asking me to change the email address associated with my facebook account to one that isn't mine, but rather is controlled by me. But I haven't replied to myself. I think I must be a bit thick, and possibly a bit evil.

It's not just us.

I think this is some sort of hacking attempt :!

edit 2: raas, yeah, I've just been looking through my texts to see what was happening at the time the account was created, which was 1st august. on 29 July I'm texting about getting my wallet back after I lost it. I was on an etizolam fugue the weekend before, but this account was created on the Thursday after that weekend, I wasn't still fucked then.

Last edited:
Uh... I've just been looking through the friends of the "other knock"... how to put this... there are hints and suggestions that these friends might have special educational needs.

I deactivated the account an hour ago. Poor "special knock" must be quite upset :| =D

No wonder the girl I chatted with didn't seem very talkative, just "Hi" and "Yes"...

Yes, the school I went to is a special school! I feel bad now :| I've done a bad thing. Sorry special knock!

Last edited:
Its clearly been hacked then.

Careful when accessing your account from a public place or someone elses comp as they may have a keylogger.you may also have a trojan on board. Im sure that, given your nerdy prowess, you know this anyway, but i'd be a little concerned if somone else has ur password

No it's not been hacked. Read my previous post #6.

The other knock is a special knock. That's why there's been very little communication :)

Not had anything like that with Facebook so far.
As this is internet & technical thread, can anyone recommend a good mobile broadband internet dongle.
Not got the money to pay for internet connection at home so thought a dongle would be a cheaper way to go.
Any ideas on which ones are best to buy, not bothered about downloading films but would mainly just need it for email, browsing and downloading some music.
Any help would be great as it's as confusing as sorting out the right phone tariff can be.

How are you accessing the internet at the moment? Are you using a phone? And do you have a computer that's currently not connected to the internet?

My initial thinking is if you've already got internet on your phone you may well be able to tether a computer to it.

Knock, I'm not sure how they've actually confirmed the account, possibly through a personally designed proggy to fake confirmation, but I do know that a fuckton of the people who use FB for game playing (mafia wars etc etc) all use tons of fake and cloned and made up accounts to rack up free points and shit to use with those games ... there are tons of sites dedicated to auto do this and create as many as possible. Before you deactivated it did you check to see what games it had allowed?

I personally would have reported it to facebook, because they're clamping down on this kinda shit hugely now,due to all the press about fake accounts after it was floated

Anyone using tor should check out tails, it's a livelinux distro that is a complete operating system designed for security and anonymity, built in tor with programs preconfigured to use it and a 'stealth mode' which makes it look and work just like windows XP. You never know what backdoors could be in windows and other closed source programs, with the recent NSA revelations and general crackdown on tor services people should be very careful (not even half of the information Snowdon stole has even been released yet btw).

Put it on a CD and nothing can be saved when you quit/reboot, or a memory stick which can be disguised and you can add an encrypted volume if it's necessary to save things.

And if you're sending your address USE PGP!

If PGP is used properly then even if an illegal marketplace was a honeypot site run by the feds, people would be reasonably safe. The people who used PGP on the SilkRoad are still safe if they kept their coins anonymous and postage discrete.

How are you accessing the internet at the moment? Are you using a phone? And do you have a computer that's currently not connected to the internet?

My initial thinking is if you've already got internet on your phone you may well be able to tether a computer to it.

Yes I'm currently using my phone for internet access but it's quite an old one now and not exactly fast or powerful.
I'm planning on buying a laptop (been planning to for ages) just can't decide on what one to get.
Only gonna spend around £300 as that price it will be ample for what I need from a laptop. I just thought that getting a payg dongle will give me faster access to internet than my phone allows plus there's things I can't do on my phone so really need a laptop for those things.

Yes I'm currently using my phone for internet access but it's quite an old one now and not exactly fast or powerful.
I'm planning on buying a laptop (been planning to for ages) just can't decide on what one to get.
Only gonna spend around £300 as that price it will be ample for what I need from a laptop. I just thought that getting a payg dongle will give me faster access to internet than my phone allows plus there's things I can't do on my phone so really need a laptop for those things.

Any android 2.3 or higher phone has a wifi tether setting. If you have 3G on your phone it'll be just as fast as a dongle unless you pay through the nose for a 4g one.

https://support.google.com/android/answer/168932?rd=1

This laptop ain't bad at all for the price, the i3 is worth the extra £30 though in the long run.

http://www.ebuyer.com/523540-hp-250-g1-laptop-h6e24ea-abu

If you can't quite stretch that far go for something like

http://www.ebuyer.com/544438-toshiba-satellite-pro-c50-a-15l-laptop-pscg6e-069001en

Careful cause some of the cheaper laptops have terrible processors, personally I'd avoid AMD; lower performance for the price and higher power consumption for the same performance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Hx, I know nothing about computers so handy to have those recommendations.
My sister has a Toshiba laptop which I always found very good to use but I will have a look around at them both.

Oh and depending on whether your house insurance covers spills into electronics, a Squaretrade Accident warranty can be worth it. Towards the last couple of months pour a pint of sugared milk into the keyboard whilst turned on, there could be nothing more likely to make them replace them entire thing, housemate did it by accident a few weeks ago and claimed off insurance, the laptop was a complete state cause it went mouldy.

Don't assume dongles are faster than phone tethering, they're the same technology, if you have a reasonably modern phone (let us know your phone model, that can help us understand what your options are).

My ADSL broadband was disconnected on Friday, a "mistake" by a wholesale supplier, apparently. I'm getting online now through BT's Open WiFi* system. I'm also able to use vodafone mobile broadband, by tethering my mobile phone.

The speed of the mobile broadband is really impressive! It's much quicker than than this WiFi connection to a BT line :D And more reliable.

Only problem is it's limited to 500MB per month and after that it's £1/25MB. That can ramp up quick.

*I paid £18 for 5 days service, I'm essentially tapping in to someone's BT broadband service in my street over wireless. This is not a great way to live as it seems BT are filtering and decrypting all SSL connections :!

Last edited:
Here's one that's been bothering me for ages.

Why can my iPod and my laptop see each other when connected to my house wifi but not when connected through an ad-hoc wifi network?

I'll take a guess, I haven't used ad-hoc wifi much, maybe once many years ago... if you connect to your house network the router is responsible for dishing out IP addresses (via DHCP) and will ensure every device gets a good IP address - one on the same network as every one else. So if your home network is 192.168.0.0/24 (that means the allocatable IP address range is 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254, less the address the router has taken) the router will ensure every device gets an IP address in that range. In an ad-hoc network I'm not sure who's responsible for allocating IP addresses, it's probably you, so you might need to make sure the devices have IP addresses on the same network. So if your iPod has IP address 192.168.0.45 and your laptop has IP address 192.168.1.2, they won't be able to talk to each other, because 192.168.1.0/24 is a different network to 192.168.0.0/24. The /24 says "24 bits of the available 32 bits in the address space are used to identify the network". What that means is that the first 3 octets (octet.octet.octet.octet) define the network. That's also known as a "class C" network. In a class C network, only the last octet is used to identify a device on a network. You still have to include the first three octets when you utter a class C address, but they never change.

The four octets in an IPv4 address are called octets because they comprise 8 bits each - so they only go up to 255. In the class C network 192.168.0.0/24, 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.0.255 are reserved addresses that cannot be assigned to actual devices, so don't try it. In binary, the represent an all-zero octet and an all-1 octet respectively - 0 base 10 = 00000000 base 2, and 255 base 10 = 11111111 base 2. In class C, 192.168.0.0 is a network address (not used except to refer to the network itself) and 192.168.0.255 is a broadcast address (all network devices receive packets sent to that address) and they are only used by the systems themselves for special purposes.

If you understand that, well done!

Last edited:
I'll take a guess, I haven't used ad-hoc wifi much, maybe once many years ago... if you connect to your house network the router is responsible for dishing out IP addresses (via DHCP) and will ensure every device gets a good IP address - one on the same network as every one else. So if your home network is 192.168.0.0/24 (that means the allocatable IP address range is 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254, less the address the router has taken) the router will ensure every device gets an IP address in that range. In an ad-hoc network I'm not sure who's responsible for allocating IP addresses, it's probably you, so you might need to make sure the devices have IP addresses on the same network. So if your iPod has IP address 192.168.0.45 and your laptop has IP address 192.168.1.2, they won't be able to talk to each other, because 192.168.1.0/24 is a different network to 192.168.0.0/24. The /24 says "24 bits of the available 32 bits in the address space are used to identify the network". What that means is that the first 3 octets (octet.octet.octet.octet) define the network. That's also known as a "class C" network. In a class C network, only the last octet is used to identify a device on a network. You still have to include the first three octets when you utter a class C address, but they never change.

The four octets in an IPv4 address are called octets because they comprise 8 bits each - so they only go up to 255. In the class C network 192.168.0.0/24, 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.0.255 are reserved addresses that cannot be assigned to actual devices, so don't try it. In binary, the represent an all-zero octet and an all-1 octet respectively - 0 base 10 = 00000000 base 2, and 255 base 10 = 11111111 base 2. In class C, 192.168.0.0 is a network address (not used except to refer to the network itself) and 192.168.0.255 is a broadcast address (all network devices receive packets sent to that address) and they are only used by the systems themselves for special purposes.

If you understand that, well done!

"You will need to set the IP addresses yourself"

Ok, how do I set the IP address on a device while using an ad-hoc network? on OSX.