• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Platform-Independent Technical Gibberings - hardware and "Internet"

So here's the explanation

They are just trying to get through spam filters, they will usually contain a link to an image file that some mail programs will download. When it gets downloaded the request your computer sends confirms your email address to the spammers, so that they know to send more spam! Some spam filters will sometimes remove the image file so you might not actually see it.

The latest ransomware is called CryptoLocker, and it is perhaps the most evil piece of malware yet created. CryptoLocker infects a computer, and secretly encrypts its most precious files and demands a ransom for the data. Like its predecessors, spyware, rogue antivirus software, and the DOJ/FBI viruses, CryptoLocker’s motivations are financial. Unlike it predecessors, once CryptoLocker infects, no security software can undo its harm. This should give us all major pause and force us all to rethink 1) how we are protecting our computers and 2) how we back up our data.

In the last two weeks, there were two new revelations about CryptoLocker. 1) When CryptoLocker infects, there is a 72 hour deadline to pay the ransom for roughly $300. If you don’t pay in the 72 hours, the ransom escalates to $3000. 2) It is possible to remove CryptoLocker using security software, but this ironically is counter productive. Once the software has been removed, you know longer have the ability to pay the ransom and your files are still encrypted. To solve this problem, CryptoLocker created a customer service department to help victims pay ransoms.

The company behind CryptoLocker is rolling in cash and they are building out the infrastructure of a real enterprise.

CryptoLocker is a polymorphic virus meaning that it escapes the detection methods of almost every security product. PC Matic, though its use of a white list, stands alone in its ability to proactively block CryptoLocker and other polymorphic viruses. That said, PC Matic is a small security player, and will do little to impede CryptoLocker’s trajectory.

So what’s in store?

CryptoLocker will become a household name.

The security industry as a whole adapts glacially to new threats such as CryptoLocker. The reality is that polymorphic viruses have been around for half a decade. The difference is that CryptoLocker’s destruction level, and that it escapes remediation. In one year’s time, CryptoLocker will be a household name, and a profit and loss statement that would make Wall Street drool.

CryptoLocker will become more sophisticated.

There is a patch to avoid the current strain of CryptoLocker by not allowing programs to run from certain directories. The problem is that few people will adopt this measure and if they did, CryptoLocker could easily move its execution to a different directory. To be clear, CryptoLocker is a cloud based company that can adapt agilely to changes in its environment.

Today, CryptoLocker encrypts most of the common file types such as Excel, Word, photos, movies and so on. I have learned that it does not encrypt Quickbooks files. I am sure this is a minor over sight on CryptoLocker’s part, and future revisions will target an ever growing list of file extensions.

In its drive for market domination, CryptoLocker will target Apples and Macs. Apple users have lived for decades under the false notion that somehow Macs are more secure than Windows. That bubble will be popped as CryptoLocker continues to wreak havoc throughout 2014.

External hard drive sales will grow.

Two years ago, online back up was the hot topic, and certainly the rave of the investment community. Unfortunately, many of the online back up solutions are little help against CryptoLocker since the encrypted files are copied to the remote server and the originals are lost when using the lower pricing tiers of these companies.

The best protection is manual backups and then disconnect the drive from the computer after the backup is completed.

Conclusion

Prior to CryptoLocker, we had the DOJ/FBI virus. Like CryptoLocker, DOJ/FBI is a polymorphic virus that escapes the detection of virtually every security product. The difference is that it was not difficult to remove DOJ/FBI from the computer without paying the ransom.

2014 will be a banner year for the external hard drive companies and of course CryptoLocker.

You could just stream the whole 5 series on netflix in high quality for free?

its nowhere near the same watching it on a 19'" monitor on a pc desk and desk chair, as watching it laid back on your comfy sofa with a 40" screen and 5.1 sound in HD though is it. I could try and rebuild my new pc for about the 17th fuckin time, and see if it holds out this time, that pc has a hdmi connection, but im sure some fucker put a voodoo curse on it, its been nothing but problems from the word go. It was a fuckin expensive pc, all sorts of exclusions on the warranty, which is out of date by now anyway. The complexity of replacing a hard drive on it is staggering, ten years ago it was a piece of piss, just pull out one connector socket, unscrew the mountings and replace the drive, nowadays theres dozens of wires all over the place. I think the hard drive must be faulty, i cant understand why it keeps fucking up otherwise, its allready had a new motherboard.

its nowhere near the same watching it on a 19'" monitor on a pc desk and desk chair, as watching it laid back on your comfy sofa with a 40" screen and 5.1 sound in HD though is it. I could try and rebuild my new pc for about the 17th fuckin time, and see if it holds out this time, that pc has a hdmi connection, but im sure some fucker put a voodoo curse on it, its been nothing but problems from the word go. It was a fuckin expensive pc, all sorts of exclusions on the warranty, which is out of date by now anyway. The complexity of replacing a hard drive on it is staggering, ten years ago it was a piece of piss, just pull out one connector socket, unscrew the mountings and replace the drive, nowadays theres dozens of wires all over the place. I think the hard drive must be faulty, i cant understand why it keeps fucking up otherwise, its allready had a new motherboard.

IME hard drive replacement has become easier, not harder, and there's still only two cables, one for power and one for data. What make/model is the computer?

It's a Packard Bell something or other, it doesnt have a model number on it that i can see, i'll find all the bumf tomorrow. But theres a very large number of seperate cables coming out of this hard drive, I cant reacall very exaclty how many, but roughly a shit ton.

^That doesn't sound right. As knock said, it'll have a power connector, and either an IDE or SATA connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
MDB here are a couple of hard drives:

The top one is the old fashioned IDE aka PATA and the bottom one is new-fangled SATA. The cable with yellow, black and red wires is the power connector and other one is for the data. Sometimes I've seen SATA hard drives which have the old style power connector, I think there must have been a phase where the manufacturers didn't know exactly what they were doing with the power connectors :D

The cables on SATA drives are sometimes a bit further apart than that but there are only ever two.

A 3.5" hard drive in full frontal glory

Actually these are all 3.5" hard drives, the big ones that go in desktops. Laptops have smaller 2.5" hard drives and usually don't even have a cable, they plug straight into a connector, but very occasionally they are connected by one or sometimes two cables.

A pair of 2.5" inch hard drives

Last edited:
right, cheers for all your help. Ive possibly made a really dumb mistake, and mistook something else for the h/d as i was in a phenazepam fugue last time i tried looking. However, I dont think that is the case this time, I'll take a pic and show you what i mean.

Need some help.

I bought one of those Samsung tablet things. When I connect it to the wifi my flatmates iMac won't load any webpages. Everything connects to the wireless router no bother but nothing will load. It works fine as soon as I disconnect the tablet and he disconnects then reconnects to the wifi. They're using different IP addresses.

What's the score???

Sounds very strange.

Make sure everything is set to connect in Infrastructure mode - I say this because you were setting up an ad-hoc network a while ago. And preferably make sure everything is set to use DHCP.

Everything works absolutely fine normally. Both computers and our phones all connected. It's only when I connect the tablet that the internet on the computers stops working.

Everything works absolutely fine normally. Both computers and our phones all connected. It's only when I connect the tablet that the internet on the computers stops working.

Have you tried "forgetting" the network on the tablet and setting it back up?

I haven't. I'll give it a go.

PT - you're alive! No roflcoptr fell on your crack-heed!

I am, the ghettobird didn't get me. I was only a bit round the road at a party when it happened as well. Pretty mental.

Edit - Still no joy internet wise. It was working ok for a minute there then the internet on the tablet stopped working :?

Last edited:
Aye, good one lol.

Now my laptop can't see my network at all, but it can see about 15 others. Even if I type the name in manually.

Basically, you're an idiot :D

Very difficult to diagnose over t'internet.

What ISP are you with? What is the make and model of the router? What is the configuration of the router? What is the configuration of the computers?

Let me ramble on and see if it helps.

An ADSL router is connected to the telephone master socket via a microfilter. Every device connected to the domestic telephone circuit must be connected through a microfilter.

The router is allocated a public IP address via DHCP, from a pool of addresses which your ISP manages. Some ISPs require the router to be configured with a username and password. If the username and password is wrong, the router will complain. The router will perform NAT for the devices on the home network so that they may reach outside world.

Most routers not only route, but also act as DHCP and DNS servers for devices on the home network. That is, a typical home network should have all computers setup to configure their network connection via DHCP. DHCP will tell the devices on the home network what their IP address is, what DNS server they should use (normally that is the IP address of the router, as it acts as a DNS server) and what gateway to use to get to the internet (that will again be the IP address of the router as it acts as a router).

That's the IP stuff. On the wireless side, each computer must be configured to connect in infrastructure mode using the router's SSID and passphrase.

So, if that's all correct, your surfing.

Last edited:
Talk talk, its a d-link something, the computers are both macs running osx. I'm going to try changing the name of the router tomorrow, see if that makes a difference.