• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Platform-Independent Technical Gibberings - hardware and "Internet"

i have vnc server installed on my desktop in my bedroom. i use it to access my pc when i'm sitting on the sofa with my macbook. lazy? yep... it's all the way upstairs!

for the longest time, i just used a freeware vnc client but i discovered today that osx has a vnc client built in. i never knew that - it's called "screen sharing". cool as :)

alasdair

Linux has had the -X option on ssh since pretty much forever ..... If you ssh -X into another machine on your network and start a GUI program by typing its name, then it runs on the machine you are ssh'ed into, but it displays on the one you are using.

It's nice to see proprietary systems catching up =D

i have vnc server installed on my desktop in my bedroom. i use it to access my pc when i'm sitting on the sofa with my macbook. lazy? yep... it's all the way upstairs!

Heh. I used to do that with a VNC app on my iPhone. The ultimate in laziness, but one of those cool bits of technology that make this a great time to be alive.

I used ConnectBot and some sort of X Server on my old Android phone to connect to a Raspberry Pi.

Observation: Linux users do stuff for shits and giggles, Apple find a way to make it useful for real work, and Microsoft create a slightly-incompatible, broken version.

anyone have a good recipe for setting up a vpn? need to bypass some damn content blocking crap from the work lan... currently using some chrome addon, but it expires in 3 days... so perhaps theres a better solution?

i bought a new mobo (asus m5a78l/usb3), cpu (amd fx-6300) and ram (16gb of ddr3-1600) and installed it all today. fuck me if the pc didn't boot windows first time on restart. pretty impressed. i had to update a bunch of drivers, but all done in less than an hour...

alasdair

I have that same processor but with an ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX

its all about solid state drives imo, 16gb of ram is kind of overkill. I only put a 4GB stick in mine

of course im just a spiteful bastard

Can anyone advise the easiest way I can transfer all my files from my old Windows 7 laptop to my new Windows 10 laptop? Windows 7 had a ulility that made it simple to transfer everything via WiFi. This appears to not be available with Windows 10. Thanks in advance...