• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Seizures & Blackouts on Psychedelics Thread

My mates mate and his gf took a normal dose (3g) of shrooms recently and after the girl had a smoke she collapsed and fainted twice then the guy got so paranoid he called an ambo. They checked everything like blood pressure and all but was fine. Any clue what might of happened? First timers too. That would suck and killed anyones trip.

This is a classic dissociative bad trip. Salvia brings it about most often, and from among the psychedelics it seems that mushrooms are most prone to causing it (they always seemed the most dissociative of psychedelics to me). Myself, I've caught glimpses of it on shrooms and 5-MeO-DMT, even though my personal version of bad trip is a bit different.

People equate what you have experienced with concepts such as block-universe determinism (or their religious counterparts). Myself, I suspect the reason for this kind of trip is that as the psychedelic stimulates your mind, all your thoughts hit the 'ceiling' and become equal in intensity. In normal conditions, there is a hierarchy of reality; the present moment and the external world are the strongest (the most 'real') stimuli and the information from your memory and imagination is the weaker background (that is perceived as less real). When you take high doses of psychedelics, all your thoughts are pushed to the upper limits of intensity and your memory and imagination of the future become as 'real' as the present moment, causing you to see past, present and future simultaneously and equally solid and leading you to believe that the future is as set as the past and present. (I call this the God mind or 4D spacetime perception) This is an illusion, as the future you are seeing is your imagined future, you're not becoming precognitive.

Dissociatives also equalize reality and memory + imagination but at the bottom level rather than at the top.

I've also had similar problems integrating a 5-MeO-DMT trip, with the nausea when I thought about it and everything. The good news is that you can take the blue pill. If you do not take psychedelics again it will fade away from your memory and you will return to traditional reality. Plunging head first into reality and having fun, socializing and drinking alcohol also helps.

But the real benefit is if you can integrate this into your normal frame of reference. This psychedelic revelation seems at first fundamentally different from your previous perspective. But if you manage to integrate them, to find a larger frame of reference into which both fit, you can combine the benefits of both and use the psychedelic revelation to enhance your life. Even though they seem contradictory at first you can have your cake and eat it too.

You should stop seeing them as mutually incompatible realities, let them both into your mind and look for ways in which you can translate them into each other and melt them together. And you may find in the end that they are different perspectives on the same thing.

Also, it might be helpful if you also consider the problem rationally, from a philosophical pov. If you find a rational solution you can use it to facilitate your intuitive and emotional understanding. The rational mind is more controllable and you can use it as leverage on your 'soul'. In my opinion, the definition of free will has little to do with whether the universe is deterministic or not.

I think ultimately the dissociative experience can be very valuable when applied correctly. By showing you the ephemerity of life it may push you to really make the most out of your life and rise above the bullshit with which many people waste it.

Yes I agree with what you are coming to here, with the levels of intensity and the minds ability to visualise and experience that which has yet to manifest in physical reality and while under the influence of psychedelics, confuse the will-to-be with the be-ing. The dissociative experience I have gone through prior (this mushroom trip was after several hundred, believe it or not) and been able to integrate with no issues, but the level of intensity in this situation was so powerful that I cant help but feel my mind cower from even the memory when brought forth from outside my entertainment.
The feeling actually did and does not accompany a belief in precognition (not saying you are suggesting as such), but rather that there is no past, present, or future to experience, only a single occurence in which there is no discrimination outside of mind, and it was as if I was being shown what Im about to do, go backwards, then do it again without being able to stop while being fully aware that I had just watched this occur, if that makes sense. I would give more details, however these time loops where not the basic psychedelic disturbance but instead have to do with actual situations which I am not comfortable sharing for several reasons. Anyway, the detail and feeling of existing simultaneously in 'both' 'times' and watching them dance back and forth was of a breath taking level and I admit that my fear of insanity, which I feel anyone who has been that far can admit to sharing at some point, overpowered the potential for deeper understanding. But it's just one of those thing ya know, when your in it, there is no explanation, when your out of it, if you can even remember it, it explains itself as just another cosmic belly laugh that you can chose to share or ignore.
But trust me when I say there is no blue pill taking for me. I may not eat mushrooms again for awhile out of respect for their power, my need to grow, and for the well being of my new family, but everyday gets weirder and weirder :D I have always managed to come back enough to try and justify my perception! Thou art that, right?
Namaste +

EDIT : Yay Im a bluelighter now :D

there is no past, present, or future to experience, only a single occurence in which there is no discrimination outside of mind, and it was as if I was being shown what Im about to do, go backwards, then do it again without being able to stop while being fully aware that I had just watched this occur, if that makes sense. I would give more details, however these time loops where not the basic psychedelic disturbance but instead have to do with actual situations which I am not comfortable sharing for several reasons. Anyway, the detail and feeling of existing simultaneously in 'both' 'times' and watching them dance back and forth was of a breath taking level and I admit that my fear of insanity, which I feel anyone who has been that far can admit to sharing at some point, overpowered the potential for deeper understanding. But it's just one of those thing ya know, when your in it, there is no explanation, when your out of it, if you can even remember it, it explains itself as just another cosmic belly laugh that you can chose to share or ignore.

That is what I meant. When past, present and future are blotted together, they become one and you feel like an insect trapped in God's sculpture of lives frozen in amber, moving like an automaton on your preset path. Classic dissociative trip. If it does anything for you you should take comfort in that you are not alone in having experienced this and share it with others and learn from others' experiences (although it may not be very helpful).

Myself, I've felt this less intensely on ketamine. I felt like on K I saw myself clearly and saw my mechanisms and my weaknesses that made me do wrong things whereas when I would come down I would forget all of this, it would be buried back in my subconscious and do the very things I had been warned against. I felt as if in my day-to-day life I was trapped behind a veil of blindness and I was only allowed to see for a moment where I was headed only to forget it again. Needless to say, I found that I can remember and that I can change it. The weakness and forgetfulness come from yourself.

What I meant in regards to precognition is that you can easily see rationally that this world view is an illusion, as even if the universe would be block-deterministic, there would be no way for you to see your future and thus be trapped by it. What you see in the future is what you think will happen in the future, and the fact that you see it, far from forcing you on that path, gives you the possibility to change it. If you manage a perspective shift this could seem liberating to you instead of oppressing.

Hmm.. personally, ive never passed out on shrooms but my friend has.

It was his first time and he was having a blast. I was tripping too. We were in my other friends porch smoking bud and cigarettes and just talking. All of a sudden my friend stands up and yells (its 3 30 in the morning by the way) WHERE DO I GO IF I NEED TO PUKE. He then falls and almost knocks a lamp over. We smack him to wake him up and bring him back up and he is continuing to yell. My other friend walks him to the sidewalk and he falls again. We make him sit on the sidewalk. He can tell we were scared for him (his aunt was schizophrenic so we were skeptical if this was a good idea but we couldnt stop him) but he kept reassuring us. His reassuring just made things worse because he was still yelling. He falls back and then starts mumbling weird incoherent things.

Eventually he came too and said he had lost his sense of hearing,sight and self, but "it was fucking sick". After him talking about it I was guessing he had experienced ego death. However, the times I've experienced egodeath I dont think my body could have gotten up and walked if it wanted to.

Hmm.. personally, ive never passed out on shrooms but my friend has.

It was his first time and he was having a blast. I was tripping too. We were in my other friends porch smoking bud and cigarettes and just talking. All of a sudden my friend stands up and yells (its 3 30 in the morning by the way) WHERE DO I GO IF I NEED TO PUKE. He then falls and almost knocks a lamp over. We smack him to wake him up and bring him back up and he is continuing to yell. My other friend walks him to the sidewalk and he falls again. We make him sit on the sidewalk. He can tell we were scared for him (his aunt was schizophrenic so we were skeptical if this was a good idea but we couldnt stop him) but he kept reassuring us. His reassuring just made things worse because he was still yelling. He falls back and then starts mumbling weird incoherent things.

Eventually he came too and said he had lost his sense of hearing,sight and self, but "it was fucking sick". After him talking about it I was guessing he had experienced ego death. However, the times I've experienced egodeath I dont think my body could have gotten up and walked if it wanted to.

yeah how could he walk during ego death? Thats what amazed me too. Some people cant handle shrooms likea few of my friends. Its a shame really cos some of them took a bit more than they should of and are freightened. If im flippin out im just lying down laughin or just goin along with the flow. Most people try to fight the effects and makes it worse and they even pass out.

My first mushroom trip, I was having some INTENSE stomach pains, walked to the toilet and remember thinking before I sat down "it feels like I'm going to pass out" - woke up on the bathroom floor wondering how long I'd been there. Fine ever since. Figured the visuals + pain were just too intense.. probably something to do with standing up quickly from a seated position too!

i passed out about a month or two ago on shrooms. i have taken them dozens of times before that and only twice since then. what i remember is after we got back from a long adventure, we were chilling in my friends room watching star wars, i don't know which one, i'm not really into it, and our trips were beginning to subside, i took 3.5 grams of some dried p. cubensis that had been blessed by a peruvian shaman about 4 hours before. i was smoking my cigarette, and then i started to feel kind of weak in the body and kind of light headed. i took one last drag of my cigarette before putting it out, and then my friend handed me a bong. right after i took the hit, i just lied back feeling very faint and having some insane hallucinations, like from pink floyd the wall, but more intense and more real. then i realized i couldn't sit anymore and had to lie down. my friend was already lying on his bed, so i just told my brother we had to leave, he was driving of course. then, right after i walked out of my friends bedroom door, i just felt very weak and collapsed. i knew exactly what was happening and kind of knew in the back of my head that it was going to happen, but i couldn't help it. i remember seeing this glowing orb, kind of resembling the sun, just right in the middle of my vision, except there were little figures moving around it, seeming to hold it in place. the only thing i could describe to you what the figures looked like were like mayan drawing or hieroglyphics. then i remember seeing my friend and my brother standing over me trying to wake me up and tell me what happened. i told them i knew what happened and that i was fine, but they just told me i should go sit outside for a little bit, so i did. i felt a little cold and sweaty and drained, but i felt fine, although my trip had come back a little bit. we just sat there not saying anything, i was just thinking about what happened and was trying to comprehend it. finally, i told my brother that we should go, so we did. after i got home and was lying in bed, trying to sleep, i was just extremely scared of passing out, since i started to feel weird again once i was lying down. but eventually, i fell asleep and woke up fine the next day. i still have no idea why i passed out or what/why i saw what i did, but i do still think of it as being a good experience.

Yours too sounds like a common faint. The fact that it hit you after you stood up (due to orthostatic hypotension), that you began feeling faint after taking a bong hit (which may decrease BP), that you saw it coming and felt better afterwards, are reminiscent of a 'normal' faint. Also, the fact that you saw a glowing orb in the center of your visual field may be due to tunnel vision which is again characteristic to syncope.

Last edited:
but is fainting "normal?" is it bad?

Do you normally faint?

I don't know, you tell me, when you faint do you think it is a good thing?

Most people do not faint on psychedelics. But unless it is physically a danger to you I would say it is ok, but that does not mean it is a good thing either. I faint a lot, if not everytime I take shrooms and it does not bother me, but I think it is bad. I also do things like sit on a couch until this passes.

I've blacked out on mushrooms once, about 6 years ago. I was still relatively inexperienced with psychs and made the mistake of eating about 6 grams. The come-up started gradually enough but all of a sudden it was like someone flipped a switch, and I just lost my mind. I forgot how to form sentences and even words, and started speaking in gibberish; I staggered into another room and collapsed on the bed where I promptly passed out for what my friends tell me was about an hour.

When I came to, I was face-up on the floor looking at my friends staring down at me. I could see and hear them talking, but I couldn't move any of the muscles in my body. I tried to speak; I wanted to tell them I was ok! But it wasn't happening. I heard one of my friends say "he's dead dude, what should we do with the body?". I'm not sure if that's what he actually said, or if I just imagined it, but after that they moved into another room and I began an introspective nightmare.

While paralyzed, I remember thinking "this is it xxxxx, you've fucking killed yourself. what is your family going to think when they get a call that their son died of a drug overdose in hotel in rochester?". I was hearing voices of many people I knew, all telling me I was worthless and that I deserved to die. I felt hands gripping my shoulders, pulling me into the floor, down to hell. As I sank, I said a quick mental goodbye to all the people that I loved and slipped once again into unconsciousness. A few hours later, I woke up feeling completely refreshed and myself again. At first I couldn't really remember what happened, but over the course of a few days all the memories began flooding back. I woke up a humbler person, and it remains one of the most frightening and significant experiences of my life.

And that's my experience with blacking out on mushrooms :)

If you pass out frequently or without an obvious cause it may be a sign of a latent, possibly serious disorder and you should get checked. But in your case it is pretty clear that it was from the weed (and maybe the shrooms).

I faint in about half the times I get blood taken. Doctors told me not to worry about it.

That is what I meant. When past, present and future are blotted together, they become one and you feel like an insect trapped in God's sculpture of lives frozen in amber, moving like an automaton on your preset path. Classic dissociative trip. If it does anything for you you should take comfort in that you are not alone in having experienced this and share it with others and learn from others' experiences (although it may not be very helpful).

Myself, I've felt this less intensely on ketamine. I felt like on K I saw myself clearly and saw my mechanisms and my weaknesses that made me do wrong things whereas when I would come down I would forget all of this, it would be buried back in my subconscious and do the very things I had been warned against. I felt as if in my day-to-day life I was trapped behind a veil of blindness and I was only allowed to see for a moment where I was headed only to forget it again. Needless to say, I found that I can remember and that I can change it. The weakness and forgetfulness come from yourself.

What I meant in regards to precognition is that you can easily see rationally that this world view is an illusion, as even if the universe would be block-deterministic, there would be no way for you to see your future and thus be trapped by it. What you see in the future is what you think will happen in the future, and the fact that you see it, far from forcing you on that path, gives you the possibility to change it. If you manage a perspective shift this could seem liberating to you instead of oppressing.

It is very helpful, if it weren't for the internet I probably would not have known that others experienced the same expressions in however numerous unique ways. Good point about the illusory nature of such an overwhelming situation, no matter how far removed from understanding a thing is, does not mean one should automatically replace the desire to explore the experience with frozen reverence and mystical nametags which come from what is already known to be illusory. When one gets right down to it, one must admit that they might be paying too much rent for a place with a low ceiling :eek:

epilepsy and psychedelics

No ones probably listening now but I thought I might add that I have pretty bad epilepsy. If I miss a dose of my meds I usually have a grand mal. I am on trileptal, gabapentin and lamictal. I have done mushrooms and LSD a number of times. Each time I have taken the psychedelic in the morning after and only after a good sleep, along with my medications, fish oil and 15mg of valium. If during the trip I start getting an aura I will take more valium. I have never had a problem. So if anyone is worried about having a seizure just take valium with your trip, it will stop most seizures if you don't have a resistance to it and it doesn't take away from a trip, just softens it. Take care.

I've seen a friend twitch his head intensively and making weird noises during a sequence of difficult thoughts and introspection on 4-HO-MET.

After reading this thread, I remembered that there was a definite feedback component to my seizure on mushrooms. I can clearly remember a weird physical sensation 'cycling' in my mind with rapidly increasing frequency and intensity leading to my syncope/seizure.

But I also think other factors had a large contribution, I had smoked a lot of hash and tobacco, I had also taken some MG seeds, I had naturally low BP plus I was hungry and tired.

I know 2ce gives me bad seizure/shake symptoms and body twitches. My bad trips are caused by seizure like feelings where i black out at points doing psychadelics which is usually acid and 2ce that do it.

I've only had them once, and it was on an 1/8 of mushrooms that was more powerful then even 1/4's I've eaten before. This was after well over 100+ experiences with them, and it was absolutley horrifying because I would go from out of seizures into a trance, and back and forth, much like hypnagogic hallucinations only a billion times more painful. Like every nerve in my entire body was being burned.

I've only had them once, and it was on an 1/8 of mushrooms that was more powerful then even 1/4's I've eaten before. This was after well over 100+ experiences with them, and it was absolutley horrifying because I would go from out of seizures into a trance, and back and forth, much like hypnagogic hallucinations only a billion times more painful. Like every nerve in my entire body was being burned.

i had a seizure last time i dosed L. i ate 1 1/2 tabs of blotter and about 3 or 4 hrs into the trip i was hittin whippits and about the 6th whippits i blacked out and woke up like 20sec later with all my friends staring at me freakin out. after that i was still trippin pretty hard but i threw up every 45 minutes until i finally got some opiates and passed out. everytime i threw up i got the craziest visuals.
at first i thought it was cause the acid was like a year old but bluelighters let me know that probalby wasnt the case. IDK, i just took a 6month break and now im down to do it again ;)