Big ass speakers - What's the best?

Folley

Bluelighter
Yup. The title says it all... I need something to pound my neighborhood with enough bass to take the wallpaper off my wall.

Something LOUD, something with BASS OUT THE ASS... but preferably, not too expensive and something that's not going to get blown out in a month or two.

Just bought a new $200 speaker in January, it's already dead. I need something that can play by Hardstyle with the bass cranked all the way up 24/7.... any ideas?

Hopefully this isn't seen as sourcing, it's for the good of all men that we know what goes hard and what has the bass of an iPhone speaker

What's your budget. If I had unlimited cash, I'd get funktion1. Otherwise I'd get some JBLs.

^ that funktion-one stuff looks real nice.

is this for a bedroom? a loft space? a backyard? events?

i used to have a couple of mackie srm450 powered speakers and a couple of matching bass cabs:

MACKIE_SRM450.jpg

sick sound.

alasdair

if you really want true bassy wholesomeness, get a system that has a separate subwoofer.

i've had the same SONY 600 watt 5.1 home-theater system since i was about 16. it still kicks ass. people love to come over and crank it up :)

Jam is on the money.

The reason subs are so big is because they make lots of large, slow movements.
The small speakers just aren't capable of doing that well, just as your subs won't do the fast, small, finicky movements that your tweeters do.
Your classic 2/3 way speaker just isn't going to give you the bass you want, you need a dedicated sub.

You've probably blown your speakers from using (read: clipping) the wrong powered amp.

That's cool except the engineering that goes into building a speaker box is quite advanced

uh, basic carpentry?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2epQ_rElVs

I mean a powered PA system would be great because most good systems won't pop, they'll just shut off

i was just thinking why not get an amazing speaker, save some money, and learn something in the process...

is this for a bedroom? a loft space? a backyard? events?

It's for a rather large sized room, but needs to be loud enough to supply heavy bass for some house parties aha

Can't spend too much on it as I still need to buy several hundred dollars programs.. but something in the $200-300 range would probably be good. I've still got a great sub now, but it's blown out big time and sounds awful now haha..

What do you guys think the best brand would be that wouldn't blow out? I'd likely be willing to spend more if I can be assured they will last

You might have blown up your speaker due to the amplifier not being powerful enough. How many watts per channel is your amplifier and what is the RMS rating of the blown out speaker?

How bout a nice lil' Void Incubus?
1332533949-557611_10150622449733157_73919328156_9406152_1120162624_n.jpg

;)

But seriously, the Mackie powered speakers that Ali posted are great, as are the JBL Eon series.
Definitely get something powered, because you don't want to have to mess with amps, etc

:D

I've always liked JL audio or Memphis audio subs

Funktion One are lovely soundsystems. For bedroom/small house party look for Studio Monitors or if you can afford a little more and more for party go for passive speakers + amps. The studio monitors produce really lovely clear sound. Also, keep in mind blasting your music full blast is the reason your speakers died, you're not supposed to do that. If it isn't doing enough then you either add or upgrade never have it up full blast constantly with stomping bass and shit.

You need to double the amount of speakers you have for a 3db increase e.g
1 speaker 90db
2 speakers 93db
4 speakers 96db
8 speakers 99db
16 speakers 102db
etc

As I said earlier, chances are he clipped an underpowered amp, square waves will fuck your shit up.
I don't know why you'd even specify passive, not to mention active speakers are much more simple and cheaper for the same SQ, if you don't know what you're doing and don't intend to use many different amps with your speakers there isn't any benefit of passive speakers.

You might have blown up your speaker due to the amplifier not being powerful enough. How many watts per channel is your amplifier and what is the RMS rating of the blown out speaker?

This

Also, you need to treat any system you have with care. There is no system out there that will just let you do whatever the fuck you want, everything has limits.

What are some minimums I should look for?

How many watts per channel (wtf is that i dont even..), etc.

I'm positive I blew out my old one due to having the bass cranked to 100%, 100% of the time.. so I'll be sure to treat the next one better. Still though, I need something that can put out enough bass to shake my house. Rolling without music just DOES NOT WORK.

Hardstyle has some HEAVY fucking bass and some very high pitched screeches, so I need something that would be able to handle both. Definitely looking for a dedicated sub, not a boombox lmao.

what kind of amp do you have? when selecting audio components its not a matter of which is the biggest or best, but what you are pairing it with.

if you have an amp that puts out more power than your speakers can handle they are gonna blow

if you have an amp that puts out more power than your speakers can handle they are gonna blow

Wrong. An amp about twice as powerful as your speakers is the perfect match.
An amp that is weaker than your speakers will blow them up, if you drive it into clipping.

100w per channel should do you good. make sure the amp matches....(by match i mean works...i don't know all the technical shit)

also why are you cranking the sub settings up all the way? with a good enough system you won't need to do that, and doing so will just kind of over-power the rest of the music..