Big ass speakers - What's the best?

What are some minimums I should look for?

How many watts per channel (wtf is that i dont even..), etc.

Take the amount of watts your amp has and divide it by the number of speakers you can connect to it. For each channel there is one connection for one speaker. Just look up the specs. Most amplifiers will say something like 100W per channel. If you have a amplifier that supplies 100W per channel, the rule of thumb is to connect speakers that are half the wattage. That way you will minimize the chance of over-driving the amplifier. If you had to put your amplifier at full volume to get enough bass, you probably didn't have a powerful enough amplifier.

this is what I had before:

http://www.klipsch.com/promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

I keep looking at subwoofers, and most of them seem to need a separate speaker system to go with them.. I think I'd rather try and avoid that unless they are included with the woofer like the ones I got, I don't want to be trying to match up separate systems together because I know I'll just fuck up

It says my speaker was "106dB SPL" at maximum volume, but honestly I think the main problem was that it just wasn't nearly loud enough so I had to turn it way the fuck up when I was partying to still be able to feel the bass across the room

I'm borrowing a Logitech Z-2300 right now and it's ALMOST good enough, but still not quite loud enough.

Last edited:
computer speakers are crap.

get a real amp, and a real pair of speakers.

Sounds like you need to do some more research before you spend any more money. Before you setup a real sound system you need to have a basic understanding of all of the components and their purpose unless you are planning on hiring someone. There is a reason people get paid to do this for a living, it’s not extremely difficult to setup a basic system but it does require some research.

you are all bunch of noobs

commercial soundsystems = crap quality .........hi fi tower = crap quality ........

hybrid electrostatic speakers & hi end unconventional bass port monitors are where its at

Geithain FTW

Me_geithain_rl-901k.jpg

also your DAC/Amp/Speaker is only half of the story,horrible accustic enviroment make even best speaker on earth just as horrible as the room its in

Last edited:
It seems I'm going to go with either some Mackie or KRK speakers as they seem the best for my purposes, but would I need to purchase a separate subwoofer for either or are they good as-is?

going to head down to Guitar Center though, they should have both so I can try them out.

Last edited:
would I need to purchase a separate subwoofer for either or are they good as-is?
ask this guy:
Folley said:
...with enough bass to take the wallpaper off my wall.
something with BASS OUT THE ASS
with the bass cranked all the way up 24/7
needs to be loud enough to supply heavy bass for some house parties...
having the bass cranked to 100%, 100% of the time.
something that can put out enough bass to shake my house.
Definitely looking for a dedicated sub
:)

alasdair

Be sure to check out JBL speakers as well. They're on par with Mackies. %)

Come on man. No they're not...JBLs are way better.

Anything you'd get at Guitar Center are going to be lower-end pretty much across the board (except JBL), but if all you care about is bass, then you can probably get away with a lower quality speaker as sound reproduction is much simpler in the bass ranges (just think about the difference between a shitty, harsh, treble, and a quality, clean, treble). For bass you just need the speakers not to rip apart or get blown, pretty much. You might do well to go to a smaller, dedicated, audio store that specializes in speakers and amplifiers, but given your needs a powered speaker rig might suit you fine because the built in amps are already attuned to the speakers, rather than trying to get passive speakers and mix and match gear.

I'd personally love a set of JBLs with a Yamaha mixing board. All passive, but that's still a couple thousand to get everything I'd need. A couple thousand for the entire (decent) rig IS the cost effective way to go by the way. As you've seen, spending $200 isn't going to cut it, and you're literally throwing away your money.

Peavey, Yamaha, QSC, and certainly JBLs all would be great for what you're looking for.

I've seen wedding DJs get good output out of a Beheringer or Mackie rig though. I wouldn't want to brag too much about those though.

I have witnessed JBL, Cerwin Vega, KRK, and more more PA's, rigs and monitors in action at uni, festivals, clubs/pubs and many party's

In all honesty [with unlimited funds] i would choose Genelec 4 monitors and JBL with vega subs.

(but that is just from my experience and opinion of playing lockaway DJ)

FUCK. Are all the monitors purchased one at a time?? I thought the KRK 10-3s would be PERFECT.... but it seems you only get one at a time... for $500. That just about fucked it all up for me :\

The Mackies are the same way, it looks like? The 10-3s seemed like they wouldn't need an additional sub, but with the smaller Rockits or Mackies I would definitely need one.. and that brings it to over 1000, again :\

I've raised my limit from like 200 to 500 or so I guess, but I don't think it's even possible for me to get 1000 just for speakers :(

Dude. honestly for the type of end-user you are, you would be STOKED with something like this, which is well within your price range and you can easily hook up to your ipod/computer with a $10 cable. I guarantee you that 165W Sub is going to shake your house with quality front/center/surround speakers to match with crisp clear sounds for a damn good party. check review on google if you want....or check out the other home theater systems

these things are great for just watching movies too.

folley, i think you're not in the market for big-ass speakers at this stage...

i think jam uh weezy might be right - drop $200 on a solid 5.1 receiver (e.g. yamaha v373), $100 on a powered sub and $200 on speakers and you should be in good shape. i have an older yamaha htr-6230 and it's great.

you talk every day about how you're going to be buying tons of this drug and loads of that drug - put some of your drug money towards your sound?

alasdair

but something in the $200-300 range would probably be good.

Honestly, I don't think that you can get something that sounds good on this budget (other than headphones) (particularly if this price includes your means of amplification).

ebola