Big ass speakers - What's the best?

So I've just about made up my mind that I'm going to go buy the KRK 10-3.. It should be perfect even without a sub, and would be loud enough to suit my needs without blowing it out. Seems to be the perfect speaker for the job.

Only problem is, they are $500 a piece. So I think I'm going to just get one for now and get a second later... The cheapest subwoofers out there are like $800, and those are 10 inch anyway just like the 10-3, and if I can use this without needing to spend near another grand, I'll be a happy man. Don't know if I'll need some kind of mixer or what not to get two of them running together..

Fuck. I didn't know speakers were so confusing

i can't imagine having a party with ONE CHANNEL. O_O

kidding. but yea i hear those are great speakers. enjoy!

ba120de7_KRKRP6G2.jpg

Best in its price range IMO

Agreed. Great speakers

:D

To be honest from reading the posts in this thread I think even the KRKs would be overkill for Folley, just get a nice pair of studio monitors and a subwoofer if you've extra and you'll be fine.

it's hard to get what you need/want when you don't really know what you need/want...

alasdair

To be honest from reading the posts in this thread I think even the KRKs would be overkill for Folley, just get a nice pair of studio monitors and a subwoofer if you've extra and you'll be fine.

It's a pretty big room, 30 feet by 20 feet. Not my bedroom lol. The KRK 10-3 have a 10 inch built in sub, and the cheapest (by KRK) subwoofer is $800 dollars without monitors and that is still only 10 inch. I'm pretty sure these speakers will be the best for this room, and I can still upgrade by adding another channel and even another sub later if I want to burn some money. Doubt that though, lol

it's hard to get what you need/want when you don't really know what you need/want...

alasdair

Yeah.. you're right :( How silly of me for creating a thread asking for help on understanding it!

You don't need a mixing console, you just need an amplifier.

Fucking 'ell. So that's another $200 then? Money, money, money.

Last edited:
Folley, You made the right decision by buying a speaker first and then getting the other one later. In the long run it'll be worth it. :)

It's a pretty big room, 30 feet by 20 feet. Not my bedroom lol. The KRK 10-3 have a 10 inch built in sub, and the cheapest (by KRK) subwoofer is $800 dollars without monitors and that is still only 10 inch. I'm pretty sure these speakers will be the best for this room, and I can still upgrade by adding another channel and even another sub later if I want to burn some money. Doubt that though, lol

Yeah.. you're right :( How silly of me for creating a thread asking for help on understanding it!

if any one else had made this thread you would have closed it by now

edit: if you were able to over in this section that is :)

Last edited:
Is that because they are nicer than yourself. that is some sound logic and I for one cannot argue with it.

Folley, You made the right decision by buying a speaker first and then getting the other one later. In the long run it'll be worth it. :)

Thanks man, yeah I think that is definitely the best option for now. Does anyone know if I will need the amplifier for still just one channel though? I really don't want to spend more money damn it :|

PK Sound CX800 price?

was web surfing and it led me back to something ive been wondering for a while. been wondering how much a PK CX800 sub would cost to get. if someone knew the price of a full set of speakers and shit that would be great too. just hypothetically, being that I likely cannot afford any of them.

these are the speakers used at Excision shows, and I think many other big names as well as festivals use themand if anyone has ever been to an excision show, you know how facemelting the bass is. if it turns out they are relatively affordable, I may try to save up for my own set of these speakers.

http://www.pksound.ca/cx800/

was web surfing and it led me back to something ive been wondering for a while. been wondering how much a PK CX800 sub would cost to get. if someone knew the price of a full set of speakers and shit that would be great too. just hypothetically, being that I likely cannot afford any of them.

these are the speakers used at Excision shows, and I think many other big names as well as festivals use themand if anyone has ever been to an excision show, you know how facemelting the bass is. if it turns out they are relatively affordable, I may try to save up for my own set of these speakers.

http://www.pksound.ca/cx800/

I dunno, but I do know a local club to me have just spent £12,000 on a new sound system, that isn't anywhere near as loud as that. So it's gonna be expensive. Realistically though, what are you gonna use it for? I wouldn't even have a PA system in my house for mixing on cuz it would be too loud. Just get a pair of monitors like every other cunt

not talking about a 100k watt system, just a small little at home thing. maybe id just put the subs in a car or something. I dunno, but I think it would be pretty sweet to have sound that heavy in my home. then again, im sure it sounds a lot different when packed into a smaller room vs. a full scale venue. id probably have to hear them individually im person before I would even consider making a purchase. anyways... its all hypothetical and was just floating around in my head when I posted this.

It sounds like you don't really know what you want.

Most hi-fi subs are decent and cheap. $150? I'm not a fan because if they're not on concrete, like on the 2nd floor of a house or something it'll vibrates everything in the house and tends to sound like crap. Go to a home audio sound store and they'll tell you everything. Obviously not a big box store unless you just want to demo.

This thread has some good advice:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/669401-Big-ass-speakers-What-s-the-best

Obviously there has to be a ton of car audio installation shops in Austin.

Like Dan said, most installed PAs for clubs or portable sound are more in the 30K US market for a mid range PA system. A low end PA with sub will probably cost around 2k-3k US.

I hear that pk is coming out with a much more portable setup.

They alluded to it in a facebook post a while back

^^ thats cool, the cx800 is a bit massive as its 200 lbs of pure sub. I've been in a few venues with a dynacord setup that have been nice. If I ever get my act together I'd probably get something like: Yorkville Sound - Excursion2000 1650-Watt 3-Piece Complete PA System.