• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Help - advice regarding tapering off heroin

I don't wanna pry into your family life, but since the whole situation with the naltrexone obviously isn't working for you, have you thought about just coming clean with your folks about your continued heroin use and looking at other options with them?

I dunno, obviously it's your family and you'd know whether this would work or not, some families just can't talk rationally about drug use, but it's worth thinking about. The need to keep secrets from your family shouldn't get in the way of what's best for you in terms of dealing with your addiction.

well, there are things you can take to ease withdrawal. loperamide is available over the counter, and while it doesn't cross the blood-brain-barrier (doesn't get you high) a lot of people find it manages their withdrawal symptoms.
there are a number of things recommended for easing (not eliminating) the symptoms of WD - benzos and clonidine are said to be pretty useful.
i guess the thing about taking speed is that it makes me crave the calm relaxation of opiates even more; but it takes a lot more to get me there. the last thing you want if you're tapering is to be increasing your opiate tolerance because you're hopped up on meth. you want to be able to stabilise on a smaller dose, right?

everybody's reactions to drugs are different, but i can't imagine meth doing more than exacerbating the symptoms of withdrawal.
i think you'd be much better off with loperamide, but i'm no expert.

When I'm on the naltrexone I'm fine and don't even want to use, it's just that like many ppl I think I can have an occasional play here and there. Obviously that's not true and there is no such thing as a recreational user. Well my plan didn't pan out once again and tomo will be my last and final attempt to use only once, if that fails then I'm going to just have to either fess up or go through wd without ice and just pop Val's.

Crankinit, my family is not one that you can be open with a drug addiction. I am not being racist but my family is from an Asian decent and unlike Caucasians there is no understanding when it comes to drugs. There are no excuses for why I am on drugs... Ppl will tend to say that the reason why they turned to drugs was due to either being sexually assaulted or some other reason, I'm not saying that is not true but when it comes to Asian families, especially the old generation they all seem to think that is am absolute cope out. - so that sit down and open up to my olds is off the table.

Spacejunk - I do get what your saying about ice making you want to have gear to calm down. I have also had that feeling, but that's when I use a pt of ice. The amount that I tend to use of ice is a couple of shards..I would say less then half a pt. that amount doesn't make me really racing. Its enough for me to feel somewhat of a small rush and take the edge off. You know what i mean? The feeling you get when you had nothing and the edgy feeling of wanting something to take that feeling away.

Tapering with heroin itself is very unlikely, that almost always leads to just binging on your remaining stash then running out and buying more.

God, the amount of times I've done that...

Yeah, ive heard people say they've used amphetamine whilst in wd before...and just because it doesnt appeal to me, doesnt mean it cant work for you.
All the best, i hope you can make it through without too much stress.

C_tripper, did you succeed?

Tapering with H? Never.

I kicked two weeks ago, cold turkey, while up in a place called Blackwater. Labouring, civil work, for my dad. It was the absolute worst :'( but now I'm clean, and gotta stay that way. I'm done with the gear, it'll kill me otherwise. It's already ruined so much, I have no self-control.

Ouch I feel you there c, that would have been a rough week. I did cold turkey twice labouring in the mines, never again. Kudos though man, you feeling sweet now?

I too have never tapered on h, ive tried a couple of times but i ended up going crazy and wolfing down what I had as fast as possible so i didnt have time to think about the consequences and going through wd's until I could score again. Polo you could give codeine cwe's or poppy seed tea a go and see how it works for you, I'm still riding out bupe withdrawals and take 40-50 mg of codeine 3 times a day to help with the worst of the withdrawals. It allows me to get through work and sleep, it doesnt make it a walk in the park, the first few days will still suck but it helps me enough to make it worth it. Once i get over the worst of the wd's it's easy to taper off a low dose of codeine without any ill effects at all really. Could be worth a try, being addicted to h is a hell of a life, your circumstances seem to make it even tougher. Once you get a few days into it you'll be on your way man, you'll be sick but you won't have that awful 'delaying the enevitable' feeling you have now. After a week or so you'll be on the downhill slope.

Also be careful with benzo's, I replaced my h habit with a benzo one and it totally sucked, coming off benzo's is as bad as opiates. If you want a crutch you can see a doctor and see if they'll prescribe atenolol or clonodine to help with the anxiety and if you can't sleep go to the pharmacy and get either some snuzaid (diphenhydramine) or restavit (doxylamine) to help you rest. Be careful with them though, they can cause more problems than they're worth. And there is no way I would consider using ice during withdrawals personally, my anxiety would be through the roof and the insomnia would drive me to the verge of sanity. Use the Internet and gather info on what you're about to go through, the little tricks can swing the odds of succeeding in your favour. Goodluck man, wd's suck but theyre probably not as bad as hep, abscesses or going to jail, it'll be over by the start of august if you stick to your guns.

I have seen the dr and they prescribed me valiums, so I have around 25 of Val's and two xannies a friend gave me. I get what your saying bout having ice when goin thru wd, the last thing you want is to be wide awake during the night. Like I said the ice is only for the morning when I wake up hanging, I am going to have the ice around 7.30am and it will be around .03g (less then a pt). Then thru the day if I start goin thru wd, which I will I reckon around 2pm I will pop a Valium. At night I will pop a couple more Val's and a 1/4 to 1/2 a xannies and see how I go thru the night.
I reckon I will just need to get thru the first day/night and then things will get more easier, it's just getting thru day 1

*waits patiently to hear from you day 4*

Best of luck polo79, though I think you might be underestimating how difficult things will be in the next few days. Look around and you will see the crumpled corpses of many failed attempts to break an addiction. My only advice would be, accept you are going to have suffer at some point. No pain no gain as they say. You can't run away from the crash, certainly not with another drug like speed.

So true busty Clare, I am underestimating the wd. But I will def do it by the start of the new week, so this wkend will be my last chance to get my act together.

Try to get your use down a bit before Monday, bro. I know you'll come good. :)

Are you still using a half/daily?

Plenty of time before now and then to prepare and set yourself up for a successful withdrawal. What are your plans at this stage? Still got some benzos handy for the first few days?

Yeah ash I do have some Val's and a couple of benzos. Ash, i was using 1.7g a day with my other mate who is trying to quit aswell. So I guess it was pretty much just over a half per day per person. Today we only use a half btw both of us and tomo I am just going to go cold turkey and have nothing except the Val's and xannies. I hope that it's wont be bad and that I will be ok to go to work on Monday. I can't take a day off on mon cos I fked up at work on fri, I left work at 10am to go get on and didn't get back to work til 12.30-1pm. so my manager wasn't happy and on top of that I fk up some my work duties and my manager had to help fix it up.

I'd suggest using kratom, if available, as a substitute for heroin when you come off it all together rather than going cold turkey. It can be habit forming in itself, but far less so than opiates. It's known to help out heaps with withdrawals. But it can also cause withdrawals if you choose to carry on your kratom use as a replacement for your heroin use. So I suggest using it for the first few days you come off and then only if the withdrawals are too powerful. Once you are over the withdrawal stage you can start using it recreationally if you want; it's nowhere near as addictive as opiates and is quite a gentle herb.

Best of luck mate, hopefully it won't be too rough.

How long have you been using heroin? And such a large amount?

I blew the wend away and couldn't get clean! I'm really at my end of trying to get clean, I just want to just finish my life at the moment. I have reduce my use but not by much and I am very close to just having a big hit n just going to sleep n never waking up, at least that way I don't need to deal with this addiction and the constant pain I'm causing to my folks. I'm just giving them false hopes that one day their son can be a normal person instead of a bloody druggie. I'm so ashamed right now and I don't know if this will end.

I blew the wend away and couldn't get clean! I'm really at my end of trying to get clean, I just want to just finish my life at the moment. I have reduce my use but not by much and I am very close to just having a big hit n just going to sleep n never waking up, at least that way I don't need to deal with this addiction and the constant pain I'm causing to my folks. I'm just giving them false hopes that one day their son can be a normal person instead of a bloody druggie. I'm so ashamed right now and I don't know if this will end.

I've been right there, bro. Don't beat yourself up too hard, few of us beat this trap of addiction on the first attempt. Or the second, etc. Work out a plan, keep your chin up, and keep plugging away at it. If I can do it, so can you champ. I never thought there'd be a day when I wasn't sticking a fit in my arm, crazy! Granted, it's only been a couple months - but it's the only couple months of being "clean" I have had over the last 5 years.

Keep us posted, yeah?

Ash.

^ this
stick with it mate - recovery is a long road, and i'm sure your parents would prefer a recovering druggie son to a dead son.
don't be so hard on yourself, it's not an easy thing you're trying to do.
we're with you man, keep going :)

I have felt terribly about opiate addiction as well and I want to say that being addicted to opiates is not worth ending your life over.

Don't let anyone, not even your own self tell you different.

Opiates are a powerful drug that people use world wide as a cure all for ailments that are both psychological and or physical.

Lots of people get hooked on opiates, the only thing that separates you from a lot of people who aren't currently hooked is that you have a good connection and they don't.

Your only real problem with heroin is it's illegal and you feel forced to get off it before your ready. I know your feeling a lot of shame for getting your self into this position in the first place but opiates are a tricky proposition for even the best of us.

Let it run it's course and you'll be a better person for it. Don't let this shit cost you your future and stop calling your self a junky, who's word is that anyway?

I have felt terribly about opiate addiction as well and I want to say that being addicted to opiates is not worth ending your life over.

Don't let anyone, not even your own self tell you different.

Opiates are a powerful drug that people use world wide as a cure all for ailments that are both psychological and or physical.

Lots of people get hooked on opiates, the only thing that separates you from a lot of people who aren't currently hooked is that you have a good connection and they don't.

Your only real problem with heroin is it's illegal and you feel forced to get off it before your ready. I know your feeling a lot of shame for getting your self into this position in the first place but opiates are a tricky proposition for even the best of us.

Let it run it's course and you'll be a better person for it. Don't let this shit cost you your future and stop calling your self a junky, who's word is that anyway?

Couldn't have said it better myself :) Don't let anyone tell you you're a bad person for which drugs you use and how you use them. And 'junky' is just like any hurtful epithet, a word used by small minded people to reduce others down to a stereotype of something that's one tiny aspect of their personality and consequently deny them their basic humanity.

You're not weak or stupid or worthless because you're addicted to heroin, it's just a drug like any other and addiction is an illness as much as depression or anxiety or bipolar.

Nobody quits on the first try, and usually not the second or third. You just have to keep at it.

Have you thought about consulting drug treatment services? Some support certainly couldn't hurt.