• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Quitting/Tapering Thread.

I'll update tomorrow and let you all know. Please - don't worry .......Sol InvictusI'

Sadly no update from QR and he still hasn't logged in since 23/1. Not lookin good.

Years of addiction, two treatment center, clean for over a year... Then three months of hell! I had to stop! Everything is finally back to normal. This morning I took my last dose and have been on gabapentin all day. I'm going to be a real advocate for this withdrawal. I'd normally would be thrashing around feeling like death, but gabapentin has put 95% of my withdrawal into a deep sleep. Took a nap and a little wobbly. I'm finally Going to start living again! Just a note to you all who are trying! Good luck

Cool, wow some independant validation of what i've been saying earlier on in this thread about TLR4 activation causing dope sickness. This gabapentin looks like it works on the glia where TLR4 is present and is involved in the dispruption of those processes that create the proinflammatory cytokines that make one feel really sick and awful when you've had your last shot of heroin/bupe/whatever.

Will all opiates metabolize into M3G or similar? Even if I was using weekly rather daily is it likely I am going to be building up some of these nasty inflamatory metabolites? I'm talking about opium or codeine. I've noticed no sickness but some anxiety and depression on the days following. I usually have 4 days between doses but not always.

Will all opiates metabolize into M3G or similar? Even if I was using weekly rather daily is it likely I am going to be building up some of these nasty inflamatory metabolites? I'm talking about opium or codeine. I've noticed no sickness but some anxiety and depression on the days following. I usually have 4 days between doses but not always.

Yes most if not all opiates have a xxxx-3-glucuronide metabolite. For example in buprenorphine its called buprenorphine-3-glucuronide.

The build up of the xxxx-3-glucuronide metabolite is a complex issue. Where it builds up, and by how much is something you could read for days on. This article however is quite interesting. abstract explains that in chronic opiate users

7. Following systemic administration, morphine and HMOR are metabolized primarily to the corresponding 3-glucuronide metabolites, morphine-3-glucuronide (M3G) and hydromorphone-3-glucuronide (H3G), which are not only devoid of analgesic activity but evoke a range of dose-dependent excitatory behaviours, including allodynia, myoclonus and seizures, following intracerebroventricular (i.c.v.) administration to rats. 8. Several studies have shown that, following chronic oral or subcutaneous morphine administration to patients with cancer pain, the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) concentrations of M3G exceed those of morphine and morphine-6-glucuronide (analgesically active morphine metabolite) by approximately two- and five-fold, respectively. 9. These findings suggest that when the M3G concentration (or H3G by analogy) in the CSF exceeds the neuroexcitatory threshold, excitatory behaviours will be evoked in patients

Anyway re build up of the Proinflammatory Cytokines (PCs). These are really complex chemicals/factors; IL-1β, IL-6and TNF-α are just some of the cytokines that are produced. Worse, to make it more confusing some of these chemicals are both inflammatory and proinflammatory. This is why there is anecdotal evidence that large doses of vitamins help during dope sickness. Basically they're fighting those cytokine fuckers that are floating around in your blood.

Now there is a drug in trials, ibudilast that apparently combats these cytokines. I don't understand the mechanism in that is it got multiple effects i.e. it suppresses TLR4 activation and or the products of TLR4 activation?

The trials I've read about have the users take the ibudilast after they've stopped using heroin. However from my reading and understanding you'd want to start taking ibudilast whilst you're using, to directly counter the effect of M3G and avoid the build up the PCs. So in that vein I would if I wanted to avoid the build up, apart from simply abstaining, would be to:

1. Up my daily vitamin dose.
2. Really import, eat fresh fruit/vegies. See in a green apple there are thousands of compounds called polyphenols that facilitate the uptake of vitamins into the body. Taking vitamin C without these polyphenols is kinda pointless as only a very small amount of Vit C gets taken up as a result.
3. reduce your last dose. See whenever I used to be naughty I would always take a supermassive last shot. This I have realised is a no no. All that last shot is doing is building up the M3G & PCs. Taking less on your last shot = less M3G & PC to.....
4. Metabolic rate. This is really important. If you're being naughty before a piss test and you're drink lots of water thinking that'll defeat the test and what not, what your actually doing is fucking with your metabolic rate, making it slow down. What you want is a fast metabolic rate. You want energy and b-group vitamins. You want to eat big meals, you want be active, exercising whatever. This will clear the M3G out of your system faster then sitting around moping about will. Now I know that when your in the middle of dope sickness that the last thing you want to do is eat and do shit but trust me the difference between withdrawing for 5 day vs 2-3 days is huge, and the severity is much lower.
5. It appears that different opiates produce different levels of their M3G and that it has different half-lifes. I know that when my heroin has been cut with long life agonists that they're a real fucker to get off. The dope sickness they create is far worse then straight up heroin. So kids don't use Oxy, just use straight up heroin.

I'm going to try and convince my doctor to prescribe ibudilast off-label seeing that it's already used and approved for other conditions. I'm also looking for other drugs that have a similar mechanism.

Fun fact it looks like the people who have MS are basically going through what we go through when you're in the middle of dope sick. It looks like MS is caused by a malfunctioning TLR family which spew out PCs that basically fuck up your body causing immense pain.

Is Ibudilast actually available in Australia at the moment? I'm not sure I'm entirely sold on this theory of withdrawal you're putting forward, but I read some of the studies on the subject and they seem promising, I'd love to give it a shot for tapering from bupe (thinking about trying out gabapentin as well).

No its not available yet although a senior consultant implied that if you went to the US you can get access to it from high end clinics.

The thing is that i think the protocols for ibudilast trials are wrong. What they're doing is giving it to people who are starting the dope sick phase (i.e.just after they take their last dose of heroin). What they should be doing is taking ibudilast over the last two weeks prior to stopping heroin.

The ibudilast tells the brain to stop making the proinflammatory cyotkines - the things that make you sick - the level of these fuckers goes down and thus when you take your last shot you should have little to no discomfort, especially if you keep taking the ibudilast.

and then after 5-10 days after your last shot you can start reducing the ibudilast dose, slowly bring it down as your body is simultaneously metabolising out the M3G that is causing the PC's in the first place.

5. It appears that different opiates produce different levels of their M3G and that it has different half-lifes. I know that when my heroin has been cut with long life agonists that they're a real fucker to get off. The dope sickness they create is far worse then straight up heroin. So kids don't use Oxy, just use straight up heroin..
Seems like words of wisdom.
I'm think you told me in another thread that the same rule applies to opium, pods and pst. Thanks for the info.
I'm pretty sure most of my side effects at the minute are due to not being able to get high anymore. PAWS or whatever they call it. Definitely started getting weird days after instead of the normal afterglow i used to get. Didn't take long at all. Couple of months is it. Glad I don't have access now.

Seems like words of wisdom.
I'm think you told me in another thread that the same rule applies to opium, pods and pst. Thanks for the info.
I'm pretty sure most of my side effects at the minute are due to not being able to get high anymore. PAWS or whatever they call it. Definitely started getting weird days after instead of the normal afterglow i used to get. Didn't take long at all. Couple of months is it. Glad I don't have access now.

Yeah the PAWs "memory" issue with dope sickness is really interesting. I have two theories.

1. Go back to a time before you took any opiate or drug. Its probably early childhood. What i've been saying in my many posts on the subject is that at that point in your life your glia was already deformed, as were several other systems. Not to the level of dysfunction but rather to a level where something appears to be activating TLR4, and or, the other TL receptors, but doing it at a low level. Your brain therefore along with issues caused by the uptake of dopamine (and other neurotransmitters) creates low level depression, anxiety, and other problems. However you're a small kid and you don't know any better.

Of course when you take the opiates later on in your teenage life you start the road to chronic opiate use because for the first time ever your not feeling the discomfort of being basically dope sick. However when you've stopped taking opiates you shouldn't expect that the very mechanism that primed you in early childhood to have stopped ticking over. Basically whatever is fucked up in your brain is still buzzing the TL Receptors and its still causing varying levels of proinflammatory cytokines to be produced. (I wonder if there is a blood test you can take that can tell us the levels of the factors).

2. The Drum [1] just last friday has a english scientist explain that the placebo effect is not just made up and imaginary. In studies on the very effect they've discovered that by taking the sugar pill that you've just be told is a Oxy80, that your brain is releasing actual chemicals that are creating the physiological affect.

Now imagine the placebo effect is just activated by eating a sugar pill. Perhaps memories can do it. For example whenever I drive past cabramatta I get a distinct feeling to vomit, as if I've taken some freshly cooked smack a'la 98, the height of the best heroin this country has ever had. I can still smell the heroin being cooked and when I imagine the times I spent in the carpark, or in the park/placebo, i really feel like i'm high.

Well it works both ways right, those chemicals that my brain made when i recounted those memories have to be broken down and metabolised, perhaps low levels of them in turn are also activating TLR4 and thus contributing to the ongoing feeling of "withdrawing.

Whatever the case I do not believe PAWS is made up and imaginary. I think there is something happening. If you look my other post in this thread I think if you practiced the vitamin thing especially it might help alot with the PAWS.

I recently found with myself that taking large amounts of folic acid has really really helped a lot. But remember its not just a matter of taking these anti-inflammatory agents just once, its a matter of taking them regularly (along with good diet and exercise) that will see your body reduce the level of proinflammatory cytokines in your body.

------

1. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-18/the-drum-friday-march-18/7259818 (at the 8 minute mark)

Has anyone ever found they've had trouble stabilizing on what should be a relatively high suboxone dose during a taper?

I'm (finally!) down to 8mg, but ever since I dropped below 9 it just doesn't hold me for a full 24 hours. If I take my whole dose at once, right after waking, then I'll start feeling uncomfortable about 16 - 18 hours later, either preventing me from sleeping, or more ofteny waking me up in the middle of the night with nasty leg cramps until I redose. Split dosing works a bit better, but it still feels like it wears off extremely fast - I get a definite period of discomfort and craving (first time I've ever felt anything like craving for suboxone) for an hour or two before each dose.

ie. atm I'm doing 4 - 2 - 2, 4mg on waking up, 2mg 6 hours later and another 2mg about 6 hours after that, but I still wake up a few hours early some days and have to take a dose to get back to sleep, which then messes with my dosing schedule for the day. Even if that doesn't happen, I'll start feeling crappy for an hour or two before each dose, and sometimes I find myself frustrated and sore just waiting for the clock to tick over so I can dose again. And it's not even like I feel good when I dose, it just puts me back to more or less normal.

I'm baffled tbh, and so is my doctor, anyone had something similar happen? Or any suggestions (I'm thinking about trying gabapentin to help with the leg cramps)? I've still got another 8mg to taper down, but at this rate it's going to take months, and I just want this shit over with :X

i was actually going to mention about split dosing but youre already doing that so its got me baffled too. maybe your body is still adjusting with the drop in dose, even if it is only 1mg. gabapentin definitely helps me with my RLS as well as the neuropathic pains i suffer so it would definitely be worth a try if your dr is willing to prescribe it.

Are you talking "Lyrica" I was on them for a while and was hallucinating. And if that is the same drug (apologies if not, theres a serious risk for Suicidal Ideation, the drug is soon to be Blackboxed due to millions of Law Suits Pending.
Besides that, there is nothing better for leg cramps, or whats known as "restless leg syndrome" than Magnesium. Its not a drug, its a mineral we have in the body for heart conduction etc. You can use up to 1000mg/day, better yet, it comes in a soluble form, that when combined with water at 5 degrees (fridge cold) youll absorb it 20 X faster than swollowing a pill.

The other "drug" which is commonly Prescribed is Clonidine. Its usually prescribed for high blood pressure. But during Phases in its study, they found a secondary use for the treatment of restless leg syndrome and sweating. They now use clonidine routinely when tapering or coming off. The only problem with clonidine is that if your b.p is not high, well then of course you cant use it.

I used both whilst tapering off Methadone 2.6 mg every 2 weeks. My last dose was on the 28/3/2016. Was admitted for observation and manage withdrawls at Melbourne Clinic. And after 4 days I was discharged home clean to my Husband and Son.

I would love to post more tmo, but for now thank God Im getting tired, because Ive had Insomnia ever since.

Has anyone ever found they've had trouble stabilizing on what should be a relatively high suboxone dose during a taper?

I'm (finally!) down to 8mg, but ever since I dropped below 9 it just doesn't hold me for a full 24 hours. If I take my whole dose at once, right after waking, then I'll start feeling uncomfortable about 16 - 18 hours later, either preventing me from sleeping, or more ofteny waking me up in the middle of the night with nasty leg cramps until I redose. Split dosing works a bit better, but it still feels like it wears off extremely fast - I get a definite period of discomfort and craving (first time I've ever felt anything like craving for suboxone) for an hour or two before each dose.

ie. atm I'm doing 4 - 2 - 2, 4mg on waking up, 2mg 6 hours later and another 2mg about 6 hours after that, but I still wake up a few hours early some days and have to take a dose to get back to sleep, which then messes with my dosing schedule for the day. Even if that doesn't happen, I'll start feeling crappy for an hour or two before each dose, and sometimes I find myself frustrated and sore just waiting for the clock to tick over so I can dose again. And it's not even like I feel good when I dose, it just puts me back to more or less normal.

I'm baffled tbh, and so is my doctor, anyone had something similar happen? Or any suggestions (I'm thinking about trying gabapentin to help with the leg cramps)? I've still got another 8mg to taper down, but at this rate it's going to take months, and I just want this shit over with :X

Dude its a mind over matter thing. Seriously half the symptoms of "withdrawals" aren't actually withdrawals (blah blah - you've seen my posts on this subject). You need to change your mindset because if you're desperate to get off i promise you that every pain and ache and annoyance will become ten times worse then what it really is.

So with bupe tapers. I find that splitting my dose works really well until you get to low levels of bupe i.e. 2mg.

Re your dosing that pattern is exactly what I do for the first 1 week after being naughty. I find myself splitting 24mg over 24 hours, usually 8mg at bed time, 8mg in the morning and the rest in the afternoon. And from there I just cut down slowly. I get a distinct feeling of fatigue when i haven't taken enough bupe. So this is my marker. So just keep splitting and slowly reduce. I think you might have gone down too fast because by the 2nd week I'll be tappered down to 4-8mg and by the 3rd week i'll be down 2-4mg. And even that's considered way tooooo fast. Most of the prescribers i've spoken to want you to drop 2mg every 3 months if you want to stop using bupe.

Anyway re the leg pain try and get some clonidine. I love that shit. I cut over the other week from being naughty and used clonidine. Cut like 90% of all my dope sickness symptoms. Remember only to take a quarter of a tablet every 3 hrs. I find a simple quarter is enough, at around 9h+ since my last shot. At that point i'm not dope sick. The clonidine hits and i don't feel sick at all despite hitting 14-18+h hour (time after my last dose).

I used both whilst tapering off Methadone 2.6 mg every 2 weeks. My last dose was on the 28/3/2016. Was admitted for observation and manage withdrawals at Melbourne Clinic. And after 4 days I was discharged home clean to my Husband and Son. I would love to post more tmo, but for now thank God Im getting tired, because Ive had Insomnia ever since.

yay! bummer about the insomnia. But ain't it nice being back home. :)

What did they treat you with for the methadone withdrawals?

Dude its a mind over matter thing. Seriously half the symptoms of "withdrawals" aren't actually withdrawals (blah blah - you've seen my posts on this subject).

Yeah I have, and while I find your hypothesis interesting, it doesn't make any practical difference to the fact that if you take opioids for a period of time, then cease taking them, you'll experience a certain set of symptoms :p It seems to me that the term withdrawals applies whether you believe it's a result of receptor downregulation, or glial inflammation (or whatever it is - I admit my eyes glaze over at the neuroscience stuff).

I can appreciate the "mind over matter" attitude to an extent, but it's one thing to ignore some aches and a runny nose, another to regularly wake up half way through the night with major leg cramps.

You need to change your mindset because if you're desperate to get off i promise you that every pain and ache and annoyance will become ten times worse then what it really is.

I've found the opposite actually - it's easier to tell myself to suck it up now, whereas when I didn't really care and was happy to linger on bupe year after year, every tiny bit of discomfort was just an excuse to stay on my normal dose. But everyone is different I guess.

So with bupe tapers. I find that splitting my dose works really well until you get to low levels of bupe i.e. 2mg.

Re your dosing that pattern is exactly what I do for the first 1 week after being naughty. I find myself splitting 24mg over 24 hours, usually 8mg at bed time, 8mg in the morning and the rest in the afternoon. And from there I just cut down slowly. I get a distinct feeling of fatigue when i haven't taken enough bupe. So this is my marker. So just keep splitting and slowly reduce. I think you might have gone down too fast because by the 2nd week I'll be tappered down to 4-8mg and by the 3rd week i'll be down 2-4mg. And even that's considered way tooooo fast. Most of the prescribers i've spoken to want you to drop 2mg every 3 months if you want to stop using bupe.

Anyway re the leg pain try and get some clonidine. I love that shit. I cut over the other week from being naughty and used clonidine. Cut like 90% of all my dope sickness symptoms. Remember only to take a quarter of a tablet every 3 hrs. I find a simple quarter is enough, at around 9h+ since my last shot. At that point i'm not dope sick. The clonidine hits and i don't feel sick at all despite hitting 14-18+h hour (time after my last dose).

Sadly clonidine is probably off the table, since my blood pressure is already bordering on too low, definitely going to have a word with my doctor about gapapentin though.

Hi all I'm hoping I can get some help / guidance I'm dependent on codeine which started due to depression I have everything in my life in order now this is the last thing I need to put right.

so I have been tapering down slowly which so far has been successful however I want to kick this permanently , I am happy to do whatever I have too in order to be successful, so I was wondering what my best option would be? Would a GP work with me to taper? Am I best off looking into methadone or similar program?

if I successfully taper will withdrawl be any less? Or should I just go cold turkey and if I do this do I go to a doctor or just take time off and hope for the best?

i am happy to go to counselling, have regular blood tests anything I need to do I just want my life back.

im in Melbourne any help / suggestions are welcome

so I have been tapering down slowly which so far has been successful however I want to kick this permanently , I am happy to do whatever I have too in order to be successful, so I was wondering what my best option would be? Would a GP work with me to taper? Am I best off looking into methadone or similar program?

It depends on how much you're taking and for how long. For example. For example 30mg of codeine is the equivalent of 3mg of morphine whilst 2mg of suboxone equals about 60mg of morphine. Methadone is similar. This means if your codeine use is below say 180mg a day then you would find it really difficult to inducted onto methadone or buprenorphine. You'd basically be going onto these drugs on a permanent/long term basis and you'd be increasing your opiate intake. Basically you'd have to increase your codeine use to upward of 200mg a day in order to induct or else you'd be potentially taking an overdose when you moved over to methadone/buprenorphine.

So if you're taking 200-400mg of codeine every day then you're taking about 20-40mg worth of morphine. At this point you could probably make a pretty good case that you should be on a opiate replacement program subject to how long you've been using. So if you've been using for just 3-6 months, even at the elevated levels then you'd be far better off doing a treatment plan with your doctor on how to manage the discomfort of "withdrawals"

However I would strongly recommend that you consider suboxone (buprenorphine) as opposed to methadone. Methadone is a extremely powerful opiate. It's dangerous drug to transition onto. There have been cases of people dying when inducting, and its withdrawals are far worse then codeine. If you went onto a program I would strongly recommend suboxone/subutex.

if I successfully taper will withdrawal be any less? Or should I just go cold turkey and if I do this do I go to a doctor or just take time off and hope for the best?

A taper is a great idea and you should be doing this. If you want to do it the withdrawals by yourself then consider the following:

- take your last dose of codeine about 3 hours before you go to sleep. On going to sleep you should have a good 11 hours of withdrawals whilst asleep. I find that there is a chemical that your body produces that keeps the withdrawals at bay whilst you sleep.
- on waking up eat green apples and good quality multi-vitamins. Fresh juiced apple/orange
- caffeine is also known to help.
- regular baths and showers. I find showers are extremely good. I sit down and just meditate. I can easily sit in there for an hour. It'll help calm you down and maybe put you in a mood to sleep. Make sure you have all clothes setup. baths are also really good. Hot bath and some cannabis apparently helps though if you're a bit prone to the bad thoughts I would say away from cannabis.
- stay busy. Sitting around doing nothing is the worst thing you can do. Clean the house etc.
- panadol and nurofen at the sametime. Extremely good at helping with the aches and pains
- imodium is a opiate but it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. It however binds to the opiate receptors that are in body, namely your stomach (hence why it gives you constipation). This will help immensely.

Most doctors will consider the withdrawals from a codeine habit to be manageable and not require you going onto a program. IF you had a good and understanding doctor you could talk about a management plan to deal with the withdrawals which could consist of something like the following

- a week off of work
- 5 days (only)of clonidine and valium to deal with the symptoms.
- long term counselling to talk about the issues that lead you down this path.
- discuss things like i.e. baths, diet and fitness to deal with the discomfort. see above

i am happy to go to counselling, have regular blood tests anything I need to do I just want my life back. im in Melbourne any help / suggestions are welcome

If you go onto a program you'll have regular urine test. You do bloods at the start of the program to ensure you don't have hep c, HIV etc

Last edited:
Thank you so so so much you have no idea how much you have helped me!

Your correct I'm probably at 380mgs at the moment and all going well will be reducing down to 320 on Friday I'm doing this really really slowly as its important to me to kick this permanently so I figured if I reduce slowly then the chances of failing maybe less. Now that I understand how the programs work I'm going to try and do it without one since the 2mg dose is equivalent to more than I am taking I really think it's worth giving it my best shot to get through this managing the withdrawals

I'm seeing my GP Saturday and will discuss my options however it seems best to get through it with a withdrawal plan I had planned to get as low as I can (around 150mg) take a week off work and just get it done

I ended up here after being diagnosed with major depression and using coedine to prop me up and now I'm stuck with this habit. I have sorted out every other mess I made this is the last one and now that I've got an understanding of what I'm facing I really believe I can do it with the support of my doctor and then attending counselling

Again I can't thank you enough I so appreciate all the information and advice thank you again x

Apparently there are other options re treating withdrawals including gabapentin and Lyrica. From what I've read people taking Lyrica have reported some pretty awesome results, taking withdrawals to a very manageable level. No idea how one would get them prescribed or such.

Chugs, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your time and effort in your posts.
Now, i have some REAL hope....doing research on this info is mind blowing!
For the very first time I don't think I'm just defected and it's all my fault and nothing can EVER help! Wow. This can change every way ive been believing about my brain and my future. A turrning point. ♡♡♡ forever greatful, kate

Last edited:
Again, your posts rock. Is ther a way to fallow your posts? Past and present?
im no stalker...lol...just get what u r saying and would love more of your posts, not loose wher Ive seen ur posts etc. Any way, thanks man!
♡Kate

I can confirm Lyrica works absolutely amazingly for Codeine withdrawal, having gone through 600mg p/day CT a number of times.

If you can't get benzos, OTC meds like promethazine work well for insomnia. Loperamide is good but don't take more than 8 in 24 hours - you don't need more and you shouldn't risk the constipation. As Chugs said, ibuprofen and paracetamol at the same time work well for the aches and pains.

And Chugs also gives really good advice when he says a good doctor you trust and who trusts you shouldn't hesitate to create a plan similar to the one he mentioned.

Otherwise - and this might sound strange to some - try to enjoy it! You're making a really positive choice for your life, and it's almost like a type of re-birth. Once you get over the initial actue WD's, most people enjoy a wonderful period (sometimes called the pink cloud effect) where being sober is so overwhelmingly wonderful, it's MORE euphoric than the drug they were abusing.