• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Quitting/Tapering Thread.

Doesn't the vodka burn like crazy? I tried sublingually dosing a vodka/"etizolam" solution (the etizolam was bunk) and even under the tongue it was pretty unpleasant.

I can definitely see the appeal of the nasal ROA though - I hate having to let the strips dissolve under my tongue then sitting around with a mouth full of awful tasting goop and saliva. I even considered swapping to methadone for a while just to avoid it, but decided against it.

Hi VC,

Firstly you need to taper down. No one has ever successfully jumped from 8mg of buprenorphine. Its basically 200x the standard dose of morphine - imagine quitting from 2-4 grams of daily heroin! Its just not possible. There is a great website that has a awesome description of how to taper down - http://www.helpmegetoffdrugs.com/taper - from how to cut up your strips to actually calculating your dose every day (and making it into a pdf so you can print it and keep track).

Thousands of people have tapered off of buprenorphine with little to no problems/withdrawals. The long taper and the fact once your down to 0.2mg means that you'll have a tolerance/dosage of a opiate naive individual. That's why jumping from such a low dose is far easier and simpler. People talk about PAWS all the time but its extremely rare. Especially from a clinical point of view. People just don't get it or they jump from a far higher dose of bup and mistake the withdrawals with PAWs.

Anyway I've finally started my taper after the worst hellish insanely fucked up induction last week (stupidly i jumped from 600mg of diamorphine). So in the last 7 days I went from

day 1. 42mg
day 2. 32mg
day 3. 16mg
day 4. 12mg
day 5. 10mg
day 6. 10mg
Month 2 = 8mg - 4mg
Month 3 = 4mg - 0.2mg.

Once you're below 0.2mg its a little tricky but you just cut em up. keep em sealed so they don't get sticky. My last dose in month 3 will be 2mg though. Basically i coast for a week, winding down off of the 2mg which after 3 months means that I won't end up going up re tolerance.

chugs, thanks heaps for the link and for the advice.

I don't know about those numbers though man.

In the opiod equivalence charts I have seen a 0.4mg dose of buprenorphine is equal to 10mg of oral morphine.

I know in low doses bup is way stronger mg for mg than morphine but the ceiling effect would stop the same being true for high doses of bup.

I really don't think 8mg is equal to 2g of smack.

If this were true you would not have to get down to 30mg of methadone before swapping onto sub.

Anyway I am not trying to start an argument, just don't think those numbers are quite right.

Also I am now on 6mg of sub and the drop from 8mg was pretty much unnoticeable.

I will continue to update as I get lower.

8ball a day, wow, you must be a millionaire! ;)
thanks very much for your posting. I'm deep in the thick of it, day 1 of tapering, from a bottle of Absolute (this nice big litre bottles). I've just registered on here now, because I'm in the hopeless, pathetic phase and feeling very sad and lonely. I'm 38, female, been a drinker for a couple years, and of a small frame, so you can imagine the damage I've done to myself. And in my 'baby making years' which is also heartbreaking. My lovely partner has ended it, too much damage done, as I've put him through hell for years now. I went to rehab here in England, at Christmas, but apparently that wasn't my bottom. But I absolutely believe tapering is best. I'm on day one, climbing the walls, really sick. Trying to drink water, but not holding it down. The horror stories I can tell you would shock you. I used to be so beautiful (well that's what I was told, lol) but now I feel and look 1000 years old. Anyway, I somehow managed to make my way to a Drug and Alcohol clinic this am, after downing 1 1/2 absolutes yesterday, and the GM of the hotel we're at, had to call the (ex)partner at work, to say I was found passed out on the wrong floor, after trying to get into a room I thought was mine!? Shocking. Sorry for the long message! I just wanted to ask, could you recommend a taper schedule for me? Today the clinic (I'm lucky, all healthcare/hospitals are free here) but the doctor has given me a sort of outpatient thing for me, and she insisted that I taper, they all did. Today, I'm just hurting, and I'm taking shots of vodka, to keep the shakes at bay. But from tomorrow, I'd like to make a more scheduled taper. Any recommendations? I prefer not switch to beer, as was suggested, but have a proper vodka taper. There's this thing here called SMART Uk recovery, if you wanted to google, but they're all about tapering. These British doctors are way too strict about giving out the good meds, lol! Anyway, thanks again. I promise I'm not usually this long winded! Dire straights I guess. I hope to hear back, from anyone, soon.

Last edited:
Hi Jenny, alcohol was never my doc though I have abused it along with virtually every other substance I have ever used.

I am not the right person to advise you regarding your plan, I will say however that myself and many others here will support you in any way we can.

I wouldn't worry about making long posts, sometimes it helps to get things out.

You will find help and support on bl in general but hopefully you have found the sober living section of the forum.

I wish you all the best Jenny.

Have you spoken to a doctor about a valium prescription? It's generally the go-to drug for alcohol detox, although if you're not doing an inpatient stay then they might be nervous that you'll abuse in in combination with the alcohol.

Otherwise I'd say start by regulating your daily intake of alcohol so it doesn't fluctuate - figure out how much you're drinking each day, then drink exactly that amount every day, spread out as evenly throughout the day as you can manage. Then slowly reduce it by a small amount (5 % or 10% ) every few days, until you feel uncomfortable. Once you feel the discomfort of withdrawal, stop reducing the dose and wait until your body acclimatizes to the lower levels of alcohol in your system.

When you're feeling back to normal on the lower dose, then resume reducing the dose until you feel discomfort again, and then repeat the process. Each time your body will adapt to a lower and lower level of alcohol intake. It's uncomfortable, but much less painful and more likely to succeed than going cold turkey.

That said, I really hope you're at least in regular contact with a doctor during the process - like all GABAergic drugs, alcohol can cause seizures during withdrawal (it sounds like you've already experienced one, from your account of what happened in the clinic), and although it's less likely to happen during a taper, it's still better to be safe.

Good luck!

Hello, I'm new here so idk if this is where this goes... OK, I started using Percocet five years ago.. I have never taken pills any other route but oral and the thought of h makes me sick because of my past... I went from 10mg a day to 400mg-600mg of ms contin daily.. I'm currently down to 90 mg ONCE daily ... If I stop now am I doomed? Sometimes Thanx to a small ice habit I can even go more than 24 hours until I remember that the pills may make me feel not so idk without pills...plz help

You're not doomed, but at the same time jumping from 90mg of morphine daily won't have you feeling to well.

If it were me I would stop the crystal, as from my experience when you are in wd from the morphine it will only make you feel worse.

If you can taper your dose down below 90mg daily that would also help, the lower you can get before jumping the better.

My plan would be.

Pull up on the crystal.

Taper your morphine dose as low as you can and then jump.

The mental aspect is so important so prepare yourself, you will have a few rough days but you can do it if you really want to.

The acute stage of wd from morphine lasts around 5-7 days and there are a number of meds that can help with this.

Clonidine and valium are amung the most effective in my experience.

If you use clonidine it is good to have a blood pressure monitor available and it would be preferable to work with a doctor if possible.

Valium can be addictive if you stay on it to long so only use it for the short term if you choose to use it.

Doesn't the vodka burn like crazy? I tried sublingually dosing a vodka/"etizolam" solution (the etizolam was bunk) and even under the tongue it was pretty unpleasant.

I can definitely see the appeal of the nasal ROA though - I hate having to let the strips dissolve under my tongue then sitting around with a mouth full of awful tasting goop and saliva. I even considered swapping to methadone for a while just to avoid it, but decided against it.
No, the amount of vodka was really really minimal (probably less than 10% of the solution, but it was a few years ago now, so my memory is a little hazy. It was really just to stop the solution being the breeding ground for any nasty bacteria, in theory.

has anyone had any experience about saying quitting suboxone program and then going back to your prescriber to get back on after say 30-40 days being off?

Did they put you on daily dosing? takeways? what was the case?

As long as you terminated the program properly (ie. didn't just stop showing up to the chemist) I can't imagine they'd force you to reset your TA doses, but the only person who'd know for sure is your doctor.

I don't know if anyone else had the same experience, but SWIM was able to quit METH through the use of L-Tyrosine.

SWIM went from weed-ecstacy-cocaine-meth in the span of 3 years. But SWIM was a meth addict for 10 months. SWIM's first 3 months was almost weekly(oral/snorting), until SWIM learned to smoke it, and did it almost every other day until SWIM realized he's been addicted for 10 months. SWIM started using it for exams, projects and papers, until SWIM "needed" it for tiny tests, homeworks, basic studying, and later on SWIM just needed it in general (to get up in the morning). SWIM's brain was f*cked. SWIM wasnt productive anymore like he was at the beginning. Meth was on SWIM's mind EVERY SINGLE DAY. So that was SWIM's addiction. SWIM is very young mind you(19 years old now).

NOTE: Swim had depression even before he started doing drugs.

SWIM is now 3 months sober, and three months feels like three years if you are an addict. SWIM feels like meth is way far behind him, not even looking back. SWIM still remembers how SWIM felt as an addict and couldn't even empathize anymore (like, "ew that was me?"). SWIM may sound overconfident but SWIM can tell you that he looks at meth with disgust now. SWIM isnt "fighting" to stay sober, SWIM is actually embracing and loving soberiety.

One day SWIM discovered L-Tyrosine, at first SWIM used it to try to boost my meth high and learned to use it for comedowns. All of a sudden, SWIM's addiction weakened, and with a little bit(literally not even a lot) of willpower, SWIM was able to quit it all together. NO CRAVING, no nothing. SWIM felt weird shifting from an addict to suddenly not even wanting to do meth anymore. SWIM didn't even have to go through withdrawal or anything.

SWIM takes 1500mg of L-tyrosine(its SWIM's tested perfect dose for SWIM) daily first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. This is because if their are any other amino acids in your blood, it can bond with them and not be able to cross the so called "blood brain barrier" and become dopamine(do your own research on that). But with all that dopamine produced, u need something to RELEASE it (in my experience), so SWIM started drinking coffee and tea, SWIM also still smokes cigarettes. Tyrosine makes SWIM feel content (happy) like meth does (on a lower scale of course), but without the palpitations and vasoconstriction and dehydration that meth gives SWIM. Basically, for SWIM, tyrosine is kinda like meth that doesn't destroy your body. It keeps your dopamine receptors at bay SWIM guesses (to keep you from looking for drugs).

Tyrosine gives SWIM the will to do other things besides drugs, like to socialize, study, read, meditate, work out, and do other recreational activities. When SWIM was doing meth, the only thing on SWIM's mind was trying to physically survive (eat, sleep, manage finances, do meth). SWIM was in a horrible place and didn't even feel it because of meth's euphoria. Only when SWIM was sober did he realize where he was, and that meth was gonna bring SWIM down very soon (was losing money, failing subjects, losing friends). Im a student in one of the top universities in my country, so I had A LOT to lose.

After 2-3 weeks sober, SWIM knew he had to start doing normal people sh*t, or else SWIM would have no ladder to climb and could potentially look back to drugs. So SWIM started forcing himself to talk to people and make new friends(not easy as a former meth addict). SWIM was having severe social anxiety and was noticeably awkward around people. But SWIM had the will to improve his life and kept trying despite the difficulty. Now SWIM feels like he is on the right path again. Body is back to recovering, so as his social life, finances, and interest in this world.

Not sure if SWIM is sober, or just shifted his addiction to L-tyrosine.

STRESS IS NORMAL, it keeps you doing what you have to do. Living without stress takes away the excitement in life. Normal people feel depressed, anxious, and stressed, not just you. You must embrace these negative emotions the same way you embrace positive ones. Every time you feel stressed, just think, at least im not doing meth anymore. When bad sh*t happens in life, you have to take it. When you fail, go get sad! You can't be happy all the time, thats ignorance. When you feel like sh*t because your'e not on drugs, shift it to feeling like shit because of life problems. Don't fix it with drugs, just FIX IT.

L-TYROSINE WORKS!

I typed this sober, technically.

TLDR' SWIM was addicted to meth for 10 months and L-TYROSINE became his alternative. Technically, SWIM is sober. AND SO CAN YOU!

Blahblihblue, I am glad that you have managed to get off the meth. We don't do the SWIM thing around here, its pointless really as everyone knows you are talking about yourself.

SWIM takes 1500mg of L-tyrosine(its SWIM's tested perfect dose for SWIM) daily first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. This is because if their are any other amino acids in your blood, it can bond with them and not be able to cross the so called "blood brain barrier" and become dopamine(do your own research on that). But with all that dopamine produced, u need something to RELEASE it (in my experience), so SWIM started drinking coffee and tea, SWIM also still smokes cigarettes. Tyrosine makes SWIM feel content (happy) like meth does (on a lower scale of course), but without the palpitations and vasoconstriction and dehydration that meth gives SWIM. Basically, for SWIM, tyrosine is kinda like meth that doesn't destroy your body. It keeps your dopamine receptors at bay SWIM guesses (to keep you from looking for drugs). /QUOTE]

Interestingly it would appear that L-Tyrosine, an amino acid actually plays a significant role in, yup you gussed it, TLR2 and TLR4 signalling. This would explain the common factor meth and opiate addictions have with each other.

Interesting that taking l-tyrosine helps. hmmmm. Also there is a quite a few hits on people using Tyrosine to help reduce withdrawal symptoms. Welll, whatttda know.

Ok, so I have a question, and I cant seem to find it when i UTFSE. see, I have been maintaining on subs, but trying to quit, (and i could, if I can get a steady supply of subs to maintain on) but I've been addicted for 6 years, tried to quit for 5, and have already gotten VERY VERY close to death with an OD. so I'm pretty much ready to just replace it for now in order to get my life back on track. My question is, How low would one's dose of bupe have to be in order to have virtually no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever? I'm a pussy, and I can justify it medically, but frankly, I don't feel the need to. ;)

Wait, so how much sub are you currently taking, and how long have you been taking it? Your post is a bit vague.

Interestingly it would appear that L-Tyrosine, an amino acid actually plays a significant role in, yup you gussed it, TLR2 and TLR4 signalling. This would explain the common factor meth and opiate addictions have with each other.

Interesting and useful info, chugs. Nice one.

I've been addicted for 6 years, tried to quit for 5

Damn. that's rough. I'm similar in terms of length of us, but it's more like using for 7-8years and trying to quit for two. (I mean really trying. It's damn hard work being in the middle, with numerous failed attempts at tapering and CTing.) At least I had a good few years of really enjoying myself before the spiral of self-hate began8( (love me some emoticons during serious discussions)

Employment related drug test coming soon, so it's d-day. Of course I'm going to leave it until the last possible minute to actually jump off. It's stressful but it's ultimately a relief to have an enforced deadline because there's no way I'm going to do it by will power alone. I passed that point long ago.

I just started my clonazepam taper iv been on it for 3 years. .5mg a day,i have 65 .5mg pills so it should go smoothly I'm thinking a 3-4 month taper is what ima do.better than the cold turkey in jail I about got but my court date got continued till December

I can't think of anything worse than cold turkeying clonazepam in jail. After three years on that one you'd want to go as steady as you are able with the taper. Do your best to be as consistent as possible with what you have. Slow and steady wins the benzo taper race. All the best with it, neozanoro.

Ok, so I have a question, and I cant seem to find it when i UTFSE. see, I have been maintaining on subs, but trying to quit, (and i could, if I can get a steady supply of subs to maintain on) but I've been addicted for 6 years, tried to quit for 5, and have already gotten VERY VERY close to death with an OD. so I'm pretty much ready to just replace it for now in order to get my life back on track. My question is, How low would one's dose of bupe have to be in order to have virtually no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever? I'm a pussy, and I can justify it medically, but frankly, I don't feel the need to. ;)

Ok so suboxone is purely for addiction so its like almost 99.9% unlikely you're getting subs for pain relief. No doctor in their right mind would prescribe subs to someone for any other purpose. In my state NSW Health would fuck your shit up good. Hell a single complaint got my prescriber fucked up, under supervision and in big trouble. And all he did was give slightly (and i mean very slightly) a patient extra takeways.

Anyway about your problem. Suboxone is 4 X as powerful as morphine. So for example 0.4mg of bupe = 20 mg of morphine.

So imagine a shot of heroin that gets you fucked up (about 20-30mg - probably a point in street terms). Well times that by 4 and thats a single dose of bupe. The shit is strong and it lasts for 3 day. I remember before i got into smack full time, taking about 0.2mg of subutex. I was fucked to the high heavens for literally 2 days. The third day i was still pretty high but able to stop vomiting.

So back to the problem. I imagine you've gotten yourself down to 2mg several times and decided to jump/cold turkey from that point. Well that's still like 8-10 times the equivalent dose of morphine. Imagine having 8-10 shots a day of heroin/morphine and trying to go cold turkey on that. It is fucked up (incidentally this is what I did awhile ago. I jumped from a stupidly high dose of heroin onto suboxone. Worse cut over ever. i mean if you took all my nightmares, and the worst things that have ever happened and bottled them up and forced me to drink it, i would still rather that then the 15 never ending hours of cut over hell.

So what you need to do is learn how to cut up your 2mg strips so you taper down even further.

There is a small problem with this. There is no guarrentee that the strips have a even coating. See Reckitt Benckiser were goddamn fucking assholes when they developed subutex, and later suboxone, and then suboxone films. See when they were losing their ten year exclusivity period with subutex/suboxone tablets, they came out with bullshit research that supposedly children (won't someone think of the children) were dying from eating their parents subutex/subuxone tablets. So in response to this made up problem they created the suboxone strips. They aren't allowed to renew the patent on buprenorphine but what they were able to do is get an exclusive never expiring patent on the strip technology itself. Its medical DRM.

So with the pretend problem in hand their account managers marketed heavily to the public and private addiction clinics/centres/hospitals that people were abusing subutex/suboxone tablets. They were shooting them up etc. Of course there was the threat of cheap generics but despite knowing from day one that people were shooting up their subutex tablets, they all of a sudden made it a big deal.

Now i don't know if you realise but the vast majority of medical professionals fucking hate addicts. Their disdain knows no bounds. They abhor us. Pity and for the most part loath us. Especially male addicts. The idea that we could be getting high is such an abomination to everything they hold dear (even though they're hypocrites to the tenth degree) that when Reckitt offered them a supposedly abuse resistant drug they jumped on like a $2 dollar hooker. Despite the fact that strips can be shot up, despite the fact that if you wanted to you can get high from bupe. We all know it. There are ways to potentiate it. Hell just cut back for a while and take a big dose. That's what I end up doing when I have extreme pain. Its not like I can go out and pop some panadeine forte.

So Reckitt basically made a drug delivered on a "technology" that stops at 2mg. There are no protocols, no trials no clinical process to actually taper down from 2mg. The formal line is that the patient simply continue their script, taking the 2mg over a greater period of time. i.e. 2mg every second day and so on.

But that's just silly. So go to this website, there is a calculator, a very detailed description on how to cut up your 2mg strips and alllllloottta help on creating a taper plan.

Also there is a lot of help on how to induct. In the event you end up using and need to go back onto your suboxone. Good luclk

I can't think of anything worse than cold turkeying clonazepam in jail. After three years on that one you'd want to go as steady as you are able with the taper. Do your best to be as consistent as possible with what you have. Slow and steady wins the benzo taper race. All the best with it, neozanoro.

oh man....i'm getting cold sweats.

But Neozanoro. You really don't want to have any habit if/when you end up in prison. Not because its awful withdrawing in a cell. No that's not the problem at all. In fact you probably won't withdraw. Why because there are more drugs inside prison then there are outside. Literally if you give away you're addicted to benzo you'll be setup with a line of credit. These people will ensure that you literally hooked and you and your family will be on the line for any debt you rack up.

And prison drug prices are like 3-4X what they are outside, at least.

I'm not suggesting you change your taper plan. Firstly you should find a doctor. Admit/come clean. Get a proper taper plan. Secondly stay busy. The worst thing i've found with my tapering is when I'm not working/doing something.

Almost straight away my mind starts to wander, i get a few cold sweats, anxiety comes a knocking (which is strange because you'd think that fuck would be too anxious to knock on a door) and I instantly start thinking about cheating on the plan.

But like Halif said, slow and steady wins the race with benzo's You know how people like to cock size when it comes to drugs. "oh man i took like 8 tabs of acid" or "yeah last night I got fucked up on a gram of ice"....whatever right. Even with tappering we boast. Hell i was going to shit on about going from 40mg to 6mg a day in like 30 days. But you know what. The hardest thing, that would actually be boastful, is being able to say that you stuck to your taper plan and didn't waive/break.

But yeah. find some help, get some help. Not because you need it this second. But maybe when things get harder, and close to the date of impeding doom that things might even worse then.

I'm new to this site and wondering who may have an idea how much black tar you would have to use for Suboxone to not have an effect. Would a two gram a day habit be too much to get relief from Suboxone? And if so would it send you into precipitated withdrawals?