• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Benzo's and opiates - Really that dangerous?

So it seems like if you should be alright if you keep both at low doses?

Quick question, because I'm very tolerant to benzos, but not that tolerant to opiates, and I combine the two a few times a week.
I'm tapering off Valium, and I'm down to a pretty low dose (4mg), and I combine it with as little Hydrocodone as I can so I'm not developing a tolerance to opiates (around 20-25mg at once). This seems like WAY lower doses that what some people are saying they're taking, but just wanted to double-check and see if what I'm doing is reasonable. Thanks

So it seems like if you should be alright if you keep both at low doses?

Quick question, because I'm very tolerant to benzos, but not that tolerant to opiates, and I combine the two a few times a week.
I'm tapering off Valium, and I'm down to a pretty low dose (4mg), and I combine it with as little Hydrocodone as I can so I'm not developing a tolerance to opiates (around 20-25mg at once). This seems like WAY lower doses that what some people are saying they're taking, but just wanted to double-check and see if what I'm doing is reasonable. Thanks

Did you even read the 20 posts saying it's dangerous? Dear god...Knock yourself out bro. I wouldn't do it again...that's for sure.

@@daftpunk you do realize this whole post answered that qwuestion 20 times already?

Somehow you only heard that it is safe when clearly it is not, everyone warned against it.

this thread has got me thinking. ive mixed benzos & opiates many times. usually valium & codeine which i guess is fairly safe cuz codeine is so weak or valium & valium which im seriously reconsidering ever doing again.
although benzos & opiates are dangerous I think alcohol & benzos is even more dangerous unless ya talking about IV opiate use that is where its about the same.
never take benzos after u have been drinking. i was falling asleep when I mixed xanax with alcohol one time & it was only beer. If u MUST try this combo. dose the benzos, wait till they kick in & then start drinking. that way u'll pass out before ya OD

but yeah i often mix codeine & valium kinda the weak opiate & weak benzo. a but different from xanax & heroin.

I guarantee you if you came with me to lay flowers on their graves, you would see the gravity of this combination. You are playing with fire at an oil refinery.

Well said tricomb. I lost my best friend in the world to this combination (well oxys, black tar, and most likely some xanax (knowing him, he loved getting barred out...). The list gets longer every year as I see my friends OD'ing because they mixed the two. Be fucking careful and dont underestimate your body's reaction despite how euphoric you might feel. Euphoria is never an indication of physical safety, it is easy to cross that line into danger.

Regarding which drug is more dangerous when combined with benzodiapines, I don't really consider one worse than the other. Caution needs to be excersized when combining depressants(downers). You need to remind your self that when you overdose on a CNS depressant, especially when you start combining 2 or 3, you basically slip away. Chances are you will not get any warning signs in time for you to save your self/call for help.. you'll either be brought back to life with narcan and open your eyes in severe withdrawals in the ICU. Or you will float up to heaven's gates high for all eternity.

One thing you mentioned was the order in which you are taking these drugs. Aside from taking lower doses than you would take if you were only going to be on a single cns depressant, the order you consume these drugs in can also help you to exercise caution. For instance, alcohol intoxication is a slow process which requires you do drink multiple drinks over the course of the night. Rather than be drunk as a skunk and decide to take a benzo or some dope, take the longer acting cns depressant first. For example, if you take a xanax bar and wait for it to hit you, then move onto alcohol, you can guage your level of intoxication better. The other way around is more risky. Unlike alcohol, the xanax/benzo is taken in one dose. You have to estimate what size dose will be small enough to be safe but large enough to intoxicate. If you overshoot that's it. Finito. Had you taken the xanax first, even if your level of intoxication is higher than you planned, you would be ablet o adjust accordingly as you drink more alcohol.

The same thing goes with a shot of dope.. there is no going back once the dose is in you. You can't say oops I am way too high let me take some dope out of my system before I od.

The handful of people I know directly or indirectly who were dope addicts and OD'd were combing alcohol benzos and opiates. You might get away with it all the time but one day your friend convinces you to do a fwe more shots than usual.. and in your drunkin state your like i dunno if 1 bag of dope will fuck me up I better not take a chance.. i'll just shoot the whole bundle.

this thread has got me thinking. ive mixed benzos & opiates many times. usually valium & codeine which i guess is fairly safe cuz codeine is so weak or valium & valium which im seriously reconsidering ever doing again.
although benzos & opiates are dangerous I think alcohol & benzos is even more dangerous unless ya talking about IV opiate use that is where its about the same.
never take benzos after u have been drinking. i was falling asleep when I mixed xanax with alcohol one time & it was only beer. If u MUST try this combo. dose the benzos, wait till they kick in & then start drinking. that way u'll pass out before ya OD

but yeah i often mix codeine & valium kinda the weak opiate & weak benzo. a but different from xanax & heroin.

Yes, but your risk for toxicity rises when you drink alcohol on top of benzos, just to be fair - it's essentially the same: both drugs enter your body, metabolize at the same place, and heighten the same effect on GABA (please BL tweakers dont quote me here). Either way you are increasing sedation, but I will admit - valium and codeine aren't that bad on their own, it's just when used in excess, and together, that people get into trouble.

And codeine's a shit drug to buy every day just because you can. The high wears off within a day or so and then the above happens. Dihydrocodeine is what I started asking for after I found out both were offered at B***'S my last time overseas

Listen..speaking medically, yes it's MORE dangerous on alcohol. You never gain a tolerance towards alcohol, but some of you seem to be missing the point here. I guess people hear what they want. Or read in this case.

I personally think alcohol is pointless to combine with benzos. I would much rather just take a benzo. Any time I have seen someone who is drunk take some benzos they seriously act like a fool.

Opiates on the other hand I might be down to combine alcohol once in a while.

DJ Screw, Pimp C and Big Moe will be very happy to hear that codeine is weak. So will a lot of other Houston "sizzurp sippers" who died of codeine overdoses. (More precisely, a mix of codeine and the antihistamine promethazine, more often than not combined with alcohol, benzos, PCP or various other recreational chemicals).

Alcohol and benzos are also a dangerous combination, no doubt about it. As far as "more dangerous" there's a saying among people who keep 'hot' reptiles: the most venomous snake in the world is the one that just bit you. Dead from a valium and codeine overdose is just as dead as dead from Jack Daniels and xanax, or dead from IV heroin and klonopin.

And what happens if you take some benzos and start drinking after they kick in, only to fall into a "benzo blackout" where you are still moving but no longer in control of yourself? That's happened to quite a few people who wound up gobbling even more benzos and swilling down more booze, then waking up three days later in different states.

People have told me about friends dying on Xanax + Heroin but I was always fine doing it.

On NYE I took 2mg Xanax, started drinking a lot of beer then started smoking Heroin and took another 2mg Xanax and kept drinking and smoking. Ended up smoking crack later on as well and apart from memory loss I was OK. I do have a tolerance to all of it and am used to combining these sort of things but maybe i was lucky and stupid. I used to always combine Diazepam + Heroin + Ketamine + Alcohol.

Most people who are long term (lets say 3 yrs or more) users of opiates (and probably have a longer hx of use of drugs in general as most I'm guessing don't start with opiates) have probably also used benzo's and probably at one time or another have, or will use both in combination. Most of those don't drop dead on their first combo of an opiate and a benzo, I would guess.

However, 'Opiate' overdoses, whether or not they result in death, are not in fact 'opiate' od's, strictly speaking as the user will more often than not have one or more drugs in their system at the time.

Opiates are depressants- the risk is respiratory depression, and ultimately respiratory arrest.
Benzo's, alcohol, and barbituates are also depressants.

You have probably heard before that when one drug is combined with another they amplify the effects of each. while never studying the science behind this, or the details, I assume it to be true.

So you take 10mg of an opiate and get effect 'O'
OR you take 10mg of a benzo and get effect 'B'

When you take 10mg of an opiate and 10mg of a benzo you don't simply get effect O+B, the effects, as I understand them are amplified, so that you get effect Ox some additional effect and effect Bx some additional effect, making it like you took more than simply 10mg of each.

Now when high people will sometimes loose track of how many pills of something they took. So they take some oxy and pop a klonopin or 2. And then they are more high, at some point many people will simply be wasted and forget how many benzo's (or oxy's or whatever) they took and take more not realizing what the hell they are doing.

I'm sure you have heard of people doing dumb shit when high and not remembering what exactly they did. If it was saying some stupid shit, well, life goes on. If it was taking 6 pills and forgetting and taking another 5....... maybe life doesn't go on.

Lot's of people (including me) will take benzo's to amplify the effects of an opiate taken. This is more risky than saying, doing funnel's of beer when drunk rather than contining to take beer by sips or gupls through the can/bottle. With beer people pass out and wake up (almost always, rare exceptioins are new users like young kids drinking hard liquor).

I'm personally not a pill popper so am not at high risk of taking several benzo pills (what would be more than my typical tolerance). Others are at higher risk than me with this particular form of drug consumption.

You may take opiates and benzo's in combo for decades and never OD. But just about every 'opiate' OD seen in the ER (or morgue) is from taking opiate along with benzo's. Or opiate plus barbituates except that barb's are less common so less available, hense are less likely to be the 2nd drug take with an opiate. There are other reasons for opiate OD's but they almost always are actually a combo of another depressant, which also exaserbates respiratory depression.

I have not read this thread, just posted in response to the OP and am guessing that others have said similar shit.

Be aware that people OD and die from opiate and benzo combo's. Every time I hear someone tell me (and I have heard it a LOT) about how they 'od'ed' on heroin I ask if they took some ammt of benzo with it. I have never heard "NO". I hear "yeah, but only ....bla bla ammt, or yeah...I took x ammt or in convo hear their confirmation that they did in fact loose track of the ammt of benzo's they took. These are the lucky one's as they are having the convo with me post OD. There are lots of ppl on slabs and in the dirt not having that convo with anyone...but they didn't go in the ground with only an opiate in their blood stream (RARE exceptions).

It's better to be safe than sorry is one motto I try to live by, and therefore preach. If you have an opiate tolerance and are a 'responsible' opiate user (defined by me here for the sake of simplicity as someone who has never OD'ed or had an abulance called on them b/c they were so out of it another called 911 on them) and you have experience using benzo's and only use small ammt's (defined by me as no more than would be prescribed in a day by a dr) you are probably not at HIGH risk of OD so long as you don't use more than your normal ammt of opiate, and so long as your tolerance stays the same (another risk factor is someone who gets clean and then goes back to using ammts they used to use pre tolerance).

But to the degree your reckless (defined here by me as someone who can not say within a mg or 2 of how much benzo's they took every day within the past month or two- not necessarilly like "I took 3mg of xanax last wed, 4mg of klonopin last Thursday- but someone who can't say with certaintly they take between like .5mg of xanax or klonopin and 4-5mg of klonopin- or maybe they took 10mg one day or can't remember or don't really know if they took 10mg of klonopin or 14-16mg of klonopin on any given day......) your at increased risk of OD and subsequently, death.

Death is no joke. Hence the reason people talk of the dangers of mixing drugs that when taken together amplify respiratory depression.

My question is, why is this combination so terrifying to people? I understand there is significant danger if you take a lot of opiates, a lot of benzos and at the same time. But in situations such as these, I don't see why people would typically say definitely not. Any thoughts?

When people are high their judgement is impaired. They are more likely to take more than originally planned once they get some of one or both in their system. This is something that can NOT be controlled with absolute certainty. This is why guys get chicks drunk. They make decisions they woudln't when straight.

So your original plan of taking x ammt of drug A and x ammt of drug B might change once your judgement is impaired, it's in your brain, the brain chemistry and the way it impacts judgement and decision making. And that's not even getting into memory impairment, etc where you take x ammt of drug A, take x ammt of drug B, but then forget whether or not you took x ammt of drug B so you take x ammt of drug B TWICE. And if you do this and are still conscious... the complications re: judgement, memory, etc are further compounded.

My guess is that most ppl who wind up dead from an OD or wind up in the ER b/c of OD did not intend for that to happen before ingesting any drugs that day...... can we agree on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
@@daftpunk you do realize this whole post answered that qwuestion 20 times already?

Somehow you only heard that it is safe when clearly it is not, everyone warned against it.

I was asking based off this quote:
"So if you want to combine a benzo with an opioid, you should at least have some experience with both drug groups and be familiar with the side effects. I mean it is no big deal to mix 0.5 or 1 mg alprazolam or clonazepam with 20-30 mg of hydrocodone or oxycodone, I'm sure death will not be the end result. But higher benzo doses and stronger IV opioids like morphine/heroin, hydromorphone, etc should be taken a little more seriously and with more caution."

If 0.5mg Xanax = 10mg Valium, then I'm taking roughly 0.2mg Xanax a day (4mg Valium). I'd way rather not take any Valium when I do take Hydrocodone, but I'm dependent/tapering off so I don't really have that option.

Some of the other posts were talking about even really low doses not being safe so that's why I asked about my dose. I'd imagine the long half-life of Valium probably makes it even more dangerous, I'll probably stop just to play it safe. Thanks.

Thanks for finally seeing the light :)

Trust me, it's Russian roulette everytime.

I'm very glad I saw this thread because before reading it I honestly didn't think what I've been doing was that dangerous.

Before becoming dependent on benzos, I would take 25-30mg Hydrocodone by itself and that would do it. Now that I'm tapering off Valium, I take 1 dose of 20mg Hydrocodone and feel really good, never redose and certainly never take more benzos. And I've done this same combo probably 100 times over the last year and half. I've never really experienced anything negative except for feeling a little more nausea sometimes.

I guess I'm wondering if I know my limits can I expect the same outcome, or should I be thankful that I'm still alive and stop until my benzo taper is done? Just curious because I've done this so many times, and like I said, I had no idea what I was doing was so dangerous. Thanks :)

Yeah honestly I'm surprised you did as well. You just kept onl istening to the few people who haven't OD'd or know people who have instead of the majority who does. Be safe! And don't do again :)

Sorry for the OT, but do you think it would be dangerous to take opiates on top of taking 300 mg clozapine daily?

My personal opinion is that it's not particularly dangerous as long as you're respecting your dosage. Where the danger would lie with me was being prone to accidents while high. I used to mix klonopin and oxy's, which would make me nod like crazy. It's a miracle I never got fired from my job - I'd nod off at my desk, nod off at the coffee pot, nod off at the copier... On a dangerous level, and yes I know I'm a piece of shit - I would have to fight to stay awake driving, or riding my bike. Must have had an angel on my shoulders... for real. Lost count how many times I almost crashed.

Sure glad I gave up the lifestyle.

i've experienced an OD on the two drugs and let me tell you it isn't pleasant in the slightest and is extremely frightening.

having already taken a huge amount of amphetamines during the day, i realized my normal oc80 dose (that would get me pretty fucked up, that was the upper end of my tolerance boundaries as anything above that would make me too sleepy) alongside with 2mg of xanax was doing absolutely nothing, oh my was that a mistake to. i then topped it up to 140mg of oxy overall with 1 more mg of xanax.

it was possibly one of the most frightening experiences of my life, i realised my pulse was extremely low as the amps wore off (50bpm) and it was decreasing more and more, i found it difficult to breathe or do anything, i was stuck on couch begging for it to end. luckily my heart rate came back up from a low of 41 gradually, mainly i think becuase i forced myself to stay awake and breathe deeply and heavily for at least a good hour (which felt like a year had passed frankly). if i hadn't of i probably wouldn't be here today to tell this wonderful story. know your limits and be careful, together they can be super euphoric but super dangerous at the same time. you have to assess tolerance to the drugs you are taking and if you're on an upper the posibility is that the drugs effects will be much weaker hence making you want more and more when in reality you're oding harshly.

another time during an oxy binge i realized i'd taken way too much and my heart rate was low again, that coupled with about 100mg of valium. i took a shitload of d-amph in order to get my heart rate back up and help my breathing, which in turn probably saved me again but i've heard its dangerous as it puts a lot of strain on the heart. i've been extremely lucky, but i know someone who OD'd on xanax and morphine, was her first time to try morphine and had a long standing anxiety problem. she took 80mg of morphine along with the xanax (i think it was 2mg) and passed out, died in her sleep. r.i.p.

I want to thank those of you who have taken the time to add thoughtful (not to mention accurate ;) )I information on this subject. It's actually not something Ive thought much about ....but I will be cautious from now on.
To a certain friend....thanks. You know who you are. Having problems with my PM! GRRR...