• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Ketamine Subthread] Intramuscular Injection (IM)

I read somewhere that it's good to practice injections on an orange or grapefruit, so i gave it a try. I was incredibly surprised by how easily the needle went in, and my question is, is this an accurate example of how tough it will be for the needle to break my skin when performing an IM injection on my thigh? do i really need to use minimal force, as when i pierced the orange peel with the needle?

morninggloryseed said:
Glut= Ass. That is my prefered injection site for ketamine and DPT. It hurts in the leg, and for some reason it scares me to inject into my arm muscle.

DO NOT USE 25Gx5/8! Yikes. A 25 gague needle is THICK. They are scary. When I go to my local pharmacist to get needles, I always say..."I need x amount of 1 CC, 1/2 needle, 27 gague or higher please." I usually get the 28s as that is what they stock. I once saw a 25 gague needle someone accidently bought, and it scared it shitless. We were soon back in the car to go get new needles.

You do need to filter it if you want to be safe.

http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/alcoholanddrugs/info/filters.html#outlet

Here is a good link on how to use filters. You should have the common sense to look at the picture and read the info. Then type what kind of filters they are into google so you can buy them on-line. I've found them for less than $2 USD each.

As far as where to shoot into the glutes, you want to consult a medical site to see where. There are a few places I've seen that give step by step instructions on giving IM injections. They show specific places you want to inject.

I just inject "where I feel it's right." Don't do what I do!. Done it many times (maybe far too many), never had a problem but that's my choice. Don't take my layman's advice. Find a medical site that gives step by step instructions.

25 Guage IS NOT thick at all. 18 and 19 G are thick, 21-23 are the most common and avg thickness, 25-28 are actually the thinnest of all.

AS far as glute shots, you got to divide your cheek, left or right into four. Then u want to inject in the upper outer portion of the four.

I IM'd yesterday (1ml) and my lateralis is sore as hell today... is that normal? does it go away quickly?

yes, coming from a nurse I know, if you're fairly fat, then you might be giving yourself an IF injection instead of an IM injection

(IF = intra-fat injection ;) )

www.nursing-standard.co.uk/archives/ns/vol13-39/v13w39p4753.pdf

Read IM section (hell... why not read the entire thing, information is information :p). Length of needle necessary all depends on how much adipose you have. I also highly recommend the "Z-track technique" to at least get closer to muscle if your not sure or using a 1/2 inch. I've been doing IM/SQ injections since i was about 10 (a vial of epinephrine and syringe are literally quite over 100x cheaper for my anaphylaxis from peanuts, and my best friend had juvenile diabetes). I would most recommend for convenience using the mid-outer thigh region (look at the pdf file, it's got some great pics for IM sites), just feel w/ your hands before swabbing and and make sure your at a good site for distance of muscle from the surfaceis to the surface. If it hurts, your probably not in the right place, you've hit a nerve or your injection too quicky. I also highly recommend terumo's or another syringe that is lubricated and/or sharper than the lubeless BD's.

It's better to inject into the glutes because --

You don't have to look if you've got a needle phobia.

My technique was to spray the whole cheek with isopropanol* (electronic grade - comes in aerosol), quick wipe, get it to about the right place, look away, push it in and slowly inject. That gives you plenty of time to get comfortable on the bed (my preferred place), or under the sheets if it's a bit cold, set music going and get comfortable.

With not smoking cigarettes, I prefer to eat a small amount of cannabis about an hour before administering the ketamine, rather than smoking (sets off coughing sometimes). When I have used this method, a standard 1ml diabetic needle/syringe in one has always worked perfectly well.

* Be sure not to let any spray get to your scrotum, or it will not be fun at all!

i am using inch and a half or so 23 guage needles...maybe I went to deep, then? I'm underweight and the needle went in a little over an inch or so I think

converting powder K to liquid for IM

I have powdered ketamine and would like to convert it to liquid for IM injection. I'm not clear on how much water to use, and also if I can just dissolve the K in room temp water or if I need to apply heat.

The only relevant info I could find here is:

COOK it in the spoon to steralize and maintain proper technique as if you were shooting smack

As I have no experience with cooking anything, more specific guidance would be appreciated.

Also I have 28g syringes. Is this a good size for IM?

Thanks - S/M

Choose you dose of K, for examples sake lets say 100mg.
Crush it and disolve it in x amount of sterile liquid (for this example i will say 1/2 cc).
Put a filter (preferably a wheel filter but a small piece of cotton would work fine too) in your spoon holding your ket solution.
Then suck up the solution through the filter.

and the last step is injecting it.
Make sure to use proper injecting techniques.
Here's a thread that may help with that:
Intravenous and Intramuscular Injection

Thanks Delsyd. Do I need to apply heat to the spoon?

Also how important is a filter, presuming the K has just been dried from liquid and has minimal adulterants?

If I do use a cotton filter, I'm confused where I put it. Does it go into the syringe?

Thanks -s/m

Thanks Delsyd. Do I need to apply heat to the spoon?

Also how important is a filter, presuming the K has just been dried from liquid and has minimal adulterants?

If I do use a cotton filter, I'm confused where I put it. Does it go into the syringe?

Thanks -s/m

Heating the spoon and boiling the liquid will sterilize the solution, the K will eventually dissolve without heat as some do... But others are impatient!

I used a filter even when using 99.8% pure ketamine, it's just a last step harm reduction method to make sure you don't inject some dust or fibers that contaminated the K while handling/preparing it.

You put the cotton in the spoon, and draw up the fluid making sure not to bash the sharp against the metal spoon. Juicing the rest of the cotton is a science that you'll get better at as you advance in junkie school ;) Speaking of which, lesson one: push down the plunger. Part two: lay back and let those distant helicopters come in, as Shambles might say.

Thanks GP. So I just put the needle into the middle of the cotton and draw the fluid up? Will this get all the fluid? And what to you mean by "juicing the rest of the cotton"?

Yeah that's what you do, there's usually a few units of fluid lost, but it's a negligible amount. That's what I meant by juicing the cotton, getting that last little bit in the rig. I usually take the sterile cap that comes with the syringe and mash the cotton while carefully drawing up the rest of the solution that comes out. Sometimes it's not worth it though, and you can always compensate by just adding a little more K to your solution and anticipating the loss. Also make sure that you wipe off any visible cotton fibers that get stuck to the sharp... Really IM-ing is a pretty straightforward process and you'll quickly develop your own technique. Good luck and happy trails :)

best place to IM has got to be shoulder, because theres less fat there.

But would injecting ketamine into your muscle, eat away at your muscle?

Could you drink a protein shake to counter its catabolic effects?

Should I use the short insulin syringe 8x0.3 or the long one 12x0.3 to IM ketamine?

Im wondering if the short one is long enough to IM (butt injection)

Thanks!

does the 8 mean mm? if so I think you should be fine, I use .5 inch insulin sharps and I have had no problems

I use standard (in the UK) 29G 0.33 x 12.7mm insulin syringes for IM ket and have never had a problem with them.

yes, its mm. im guessing a 8mm long wouldn't be long enough to IM, right?

i'll use the 12mm then, as our friend Shambles.

Can I use a 30G insulin syringe to I.M. ketamine? I asked the pharmacist for 28G but he gave me 30 for some reason. I just got some vials of ketamine and have no injection experience.

^^^ That works fine, but depending on body fat and the amount of skin you might wanna go shoulder instead of your ass. Those insulin syringes have a .5" needle, which is kinda short and also quite fragile, and you will have an easier time going for the shoulder. EnjoY!\

Cheers