• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome Support Thread

On your 3 hospital visit, did you tell them that the first 2? Did you tell them it was from weed? It seems hard for me to believe that when you go to the hospital the second time, and explain to them exactly what they did the first time, that they'd do exactly the same thing and send you on your way... but I wouldn't be shocked if they did. I am genuinely shocked that you went to them a 3rd time, told them what they did the first 2 times, and they did the same stuff again. When this is over, you should really look into a medical malpractice lawsuit. I usually never say you should, but goddamn...

First of all, just to let you know, it is anti-nausea or anti-emetic not denauseation medications.Next I am trying to figure out what drug you mean when you say Prochlorper pills. I have been a nurse for 20 years and am just not familiar with that..maybe check spelling? One of the best meds for nause and vomiting is Zofran (ondansetron) and they frequently use that for chemo patients that have a lot of nausea (and pregnant women and other conditions). I'm also not sure what pink stuff you were referring to.

Please do not give her a benzo or anything else that will make her conk out. If someone is having intense vomiting the last thing you would want is for them to have a decrease in consciousness at all..if she vomits in that condition it could very well kill her.

Secondly, you keep comparing it to heroin withdrawal (and trust me I have been there with the worst of that) but there are many, many things that can cause that type of severe and intense nausea and vomiting other than withdrawals...I mean lots of things...I doubt it has anything to do with anything like that. As far as the other symproms, the sweating and all..those frequently go along with nausea and vomiting regardless of the cause of it.

When someone is actively vomiting I would suggest to not try to force ice or liquids or anything else on them..it will only aggravate it more and your digestive system needs to "rest". And yes, the liver enzymes will be off when someone is dehydrated, but it is only temporary and will get better when she does. So I guess it comes down to this..when she gets over it this time...tell her not to smoke any more weed. Why in the world would she put herself through this over and over again? If all the tests ruled out everything else out then I am sure it is the weed..who knows why it only happens sometimes? But the solution would be to stop!

As far as a lawsuit goes, if they don't find anything else wrong, they gave her meds (whether it helped or not) and re hydrated her with IV fluids then they have done what is necessary. They know what is causing it so what else can they do if you keep on doing the thing that it is causing it? Its like if someone comes in and says everytime I eat chocolate ice cream I vomit violently...then they come in again with same deal, and again with same deal..well nothing else is wrong physically, just don't eat damn chocolate ice cream!

I would try ginger before anything like that. But really the girl (or whoever it is) may need to accept the fact that she needs to stop smoking. I mean there's no point in forever persisting in smoking if it's going to make you feel awful. It's mean to be a pleasant experience so if whatever you try doesn't work, perhaps weed just isn't a drug for her.

Did this appear after she stopped smoking weed? If so it's a classical cannabinoid withdrawal syndrome. I never get it from smoking weed, but I have gotten the exact symptoms from high dose synthetic cannabinoids. There is only one thing that truly helps, as with all withdrawals, and that is to smoke more weed/cannabinoids. Just taper the dose and this will not happen. Don't stop smoking suddenly if you have been smoking for several months/years without breaks.

Some anticholinergics may help. Benzos definitely will not.

Another option is to just wait it out, it won't last more than a few days.

When it comes to any health issue during or after substance ingestion, it's almost all user's only thought that it's got to be the drugs. Many times it is, and it should be, the first thought. It definitely should not be the only thought. When it is not a known adverse reaction, it's very important to consider everything.

This is important to consider with cannabis because it's shockingly benign. Most likely something else or a dangerous combo. I still don't understand why the hospital doesn't look at your chart when you come back

Wait... is it a synthetic?

Very, very, odd case in my opinion, have never heard of all of this happening from only taking weed and weed alone, although I'm not saying it's not impossible, it definitely could be, and likely very much is possible from the account of the OP.

Would just be interested in her stats, how old she is, what's her weight, does she have any known medical problems, such as problems with the heart or liver, which shouldn't be directly associated with use of cannabis, and also if she just has a naturally fragile disposition, all of which might exacerbate any health situation.

Obviously, though, clearly, she just needs to stop smoking weed. I'd say for her to try edibles, but, well, after 3 hospital visits, I think that's a green light to go cold turkey for life, sadly.

Hmm. I think she needs to be as frank as possible about her medical history to the doctors. There may be some underlying condition causing this besides weed, but you would expect the doctors to be clued up enough to anticipate that and investifate accordingly.
Hope she sees some improvement. Fluids and food are obviously essential but I realise that is no easy thing under the circumstances.
Good luck - Pipp

Ok to answer some questions, im sorry i was frantic and didn't get any everything i meant to say or respond because she gets so ILL. Now, She's a 20 year old Female, 121 pounds, 5foot 6inches. She has no pyshical medical problems and isnt allergic to any medications. She's does have mental illness (s). She was Told from a Dr she was Bi-Polar at one point, was medicated and she doesn't believe she is ( shes extreamly impulsive, minute to minute, Angry for about 2 hours after waking, depressed, or overly happy, Highs and lows, all Bi-polar symtoms) so i wouldnt doubt her being so. Now, The Cannabis she was smoking was Very HiGH end THC high dose Cannabis, then times she'd go with low end stativa's ( in philly most of the time known as " regs" ) when she was low on money. Now She smoked alot of Blunt Wraps which are bad for you as is and Dutch Masters, but for the most part she smoked Her Glass Bowl And Dominantly Wraps i tried telling her to smoke it maybe filtered with a water bong or bubbler to possibly filter out negative alkaloids or such. i thought about vaporizors for her but that would just burn it up just like a lighter but without the negative lung effects I haven't smoked in years so i honestly forget alot about it but when we took her to the hospital for this numerous times, they tried calling it a hang over the first time...Bullshit, Second Time, NO actual Diagnosis,but she was told her LIVER was puting out enzymes but that she shouldnt be worried about them because it's normal because of her dehydration. Her Family home DR, Gave her a full medical examination, She told him the complete truth that she doesnt mess around with any other chemicals,drugs,psychedelics,opioids,opiates which is true, but did Admit To the use of cannabis HEAVILY. And that she does drink from time to time. Me and her are still you know basically dating so im around her all the time so i know shes not lying about doing other substances other than Pot And Alcohol. Now she'll drink maybe a 6pack, or a couple 22ouncers ( not a big drinker but because she's weirdly un tolorant to it so low amounts of alcohol will have her very drunk) They Diagnosed her this disorder and what i was trying to type was the one ZOFRAM and The Other brand for Promethazine... for Nausea, just under another Generic name, to be honest i cannot remember, but it was promethazine and Zofram is what we ended up getting for her. We Used the Zofram Not the Promethozine syrup. Sorry to people who read it when i wrote it, i was typing frantically because, after her being like this 3 times and how violent it was can be quite scary and i've NEVER EVER saw anything like this from Any form of Cannabis, it honestly reminded me of Opiate/Opioid Withdrawls but she didn't ever consume ANY opiate/oid. Now, She's Doing good, and not smoking any more cannabis but that's whats got me waiting to see if this happens AGAIN and if so it was a misdiagnosis. Them Dr's just kept trying to give her different IV denausaters in the hospital, would walk away for HOURS come back and check on her, i forgot along with IV fluids because of how Dehydrated she was then come back and when she wasnt better never actually gave her a diagnosis, and the first one trying to call it a hang over was complete bullshit i've NEVER saw someone that sick 2 days AFTER drinking no matter how much they drank. She would vomit every time she attempted to put anything in her stomach which as soon as a single baby sip of water, bang VIOLENTLY Heaving. She was only discharged from the hospital because she was starting to feel a little better after sleeping and said ok, the medications must have worked and she did look much better, but when she got home, the next morning same thing. Only thing that made her feel better was laying in the bathtub with the shower on. Which actually makes sense about the Family Dr's Diagnosis as rare as it is, i think we found the 99th case. I'll Report back and let yous know what ends up happening at the end of this month WITHOUT cannabis. Thank yous for trying to help, and sorry for not getting back to you guys until now and how frantic i was i didnt type everything i needed to be said.
We'll See what happens i guess...

- B

And yeah it really is a very very very ODD case, i've never heard of anything like it, i honestly believed the Family Dr was just saying this Diagnosis because she said she Heavily smoked Cannabis, but all the symtoms add up and all, weird weird. The Dr did tell her it was both Pysical and Mental. So i think her being all hyped and scared was making it worse and worse. :? but im not 100% on that because she's the same way everytime, and theirs times where she isnt all freaked or anything like that, just tired of throwing up every couple minutes so she wasnt like more than just frustrated.

Last edited:
Ok to answer some questions, im sorry i was frantic and didn't get any everything i meant to say or respond because she gets so ILL. Now, She's a 20 year old Female, 121 pounds, 5foot 6inches. She has no pyshical medical problems and isnt allergic to any medications. She's does have mental illness (s). She was Told from a Dr she was Bi-Polar at one point, was medicated and she doesn't believe she is ( shes extreamly impulsive, minute to minute, Angry for about 2 hours after waking, depressed, or overly happy, Highs and lows, all Bi-polar symtoms) so i wouldnt doubt her being so. Now, The Cannabis she was smoking was Very HiGH end THC high dose Cannabis, then times she'd go with low end stativa's ( in philly most of the time known as " regs" ) when she was low on money. Now She smoked alot of Blunt Wraps which are bad for you as is and Dutch Masters, but for the most part she smoked Her Glass Bowl And Dominantly Wraps i tried telling her to smoke it maybe filtered with a water bong or bubbler to possibly filter out negative alkaloids or such. i thought about vaporizors for her but that would just burn it up just like a lighter but without the negative lung effects I haven't smoked in years so i honestly forget alot about it but when we took her to the hospital for this numerous times, they tried calling it a hang over the first time...Bullshit, Second Time, NO actual Diagnosis,but she was told her LIVER was puting out enzymes but that she shouldnt be worried about them because it's normal because of her dehydration. Her Family home DR, Gave her a full medical examination, She told him the complete truth that she doesnt mess around with any other chemicals,drugs,psychedelics,opioids,opiates which is true, but did Admit To the use of cannabis HEAVILY. And that she does drink from time to time. Me and her are still you know basically dating so im around her all the time so i know shes not lying about doing other substances other than Pot And Alcohol. Now she'll drink maybe a 6pack, or a couple 22ouncers ( not a big drinker but because she's weirdly un tolorant to it so low amounts of alcohol will have her very drunk) They Diagnosed her this disorder and what i was trying to type was the one ZOFRAM and The Other brand for Promethazine... for Nausea, just under another Generic name, to be honest i cannot remember, but it was promethazine and Zofram is what we ended up getting for her. We Used the Zofram Not the Promethozine syrup. Sorry to people who read it when i wrote it, i was typing frantically because, after her being like this 3 times and how violent it was can be quite scary and i've NEVER EVER saw anything like this from Any form of Cannabis, it honestly reminded me of Opiate/Opioid Withdrawls but she didn't ever consume ANY opiate/oid. Now, She's Doing good, and not smoking any more cannabis but that's whats got me waiting to see if this happens AGAIN and if so it was a misdiagnosis. Them Dr's just kept trying to give her different IV denausaters in the hospital, would walk away for HOURS come back and check on her, i forgot along with IV fluids because of how Dehydrated she was then come back and when she wasnt better never actually gave her a diagnosis, and the first one trying to call it a hang over was complete bullshit i've NEVER saw someone that sick 2 days AFTER drinking no matter how much they drank. She would vomit every time she attempted to put anything in her stomach which as soon as a single baby sip of water, bang VIOLENTLY Heaving. She was only discharged from the hospital because she was starting to feel a little better after sleeping and said ok, the medications must have worked and she did look much better, but when she got home, the next morning same thing. Only thing that made her feel better was laying in the bathtub with the shower on. Which actually makes sense about the Family Dr's Diagnosis as rare as it is, i think we found the 99th case. I'll Report back and let yous know what ends up happening at the end of this month WITHOUT cannabis. Thank yous for trying to help, and sorry for not getting back to you guys until now and how frantic i was i didnt type everything i needed to be said.
We'll See what happens i guess...

- B
Just tell her to stop smoking weed...
I know she won't want to here that, but seriously as the person who compared it to chocolate ice cream and just keeps eating it even when you know what will happen..,It's ridiculous

I'm speaking from experience I have border line personality disorder and am 5 days shy of 26 and after smoking since I was 13(2-4 grams a day stupid I know) I have had to quit for mental health reasons. If she is bi polar smoking weed stupid and is more then enough reason in itself to quit. It makes the condition 1000000 times worse. I would know due to my borderline which is sort of similar.

I have dealt with this. I spoke to many doctors in the two weeks of non stop vomiting and hospitalzation. Some had no idea what cannabis hyperemesis syndrome was but somehow agreed that I had it. I spoke to one doctor who told me that the phenomenon or as he called it... A lie! Was simply an easy way out for a diagnosis. He told me he does not believe this is a real illness.

The pink/red thing she drank was what they call a 'pink lady' pepto and lidocaine. Made to help her probably raw... Maybe bleeding throat feel better.

Piping hot showers and zofran were the only things that help. I took two weeks off and started smoking again slowly. Havent had a problem in the last year...

She just keeps taking these boiling showers one after another like she wont go more than 30 mins without one... And Zofran did help her when she could hold it down. This month she was supposed to stop smoking, i expained about her mental condition and how it's basically like if i were to go back to H, if i shot my shit for 2-3 days and then got withdrawals would you sit here pampering me? she said it's not the same. Yeah drastic difference but when you think about it, if she smokes this happens its basically like a withdrawal without running out of cannabis it happens right before she gets her period every month. She started getting sick from it yesterday awesome another up to 2 weeks of this shit because she just doesnt want to stop smoking weed. it seriously with her makes her mentally all over the place and so sick it reminds me of opiate/opioid withdrawal its like sweetheart dont keep doing this to yourself, she said she wouldn't but did anyway so until she wants to stop smoking not much we can do... Thanks to everyone who tried to help but i can't help her if she wont help her self ya know. It's like throwing an addict into rehab that doesnt want to get clean, they will ama out of hab or stay to shut people up and go back, she needs to want to stop i guess. Thanks again,
-B

hey army i had a good friend come down with this. she didnt believe it either but she kept getting sick for months same you describe. as far as i know the only thing that helped her was taking hot baths or hot showers. as hot as she can stand, i mean dont scald her or cause burns but make sure the water is good and hot. anti nausea medicine will help a bit if she can keep it down but usually thats impossible. also she CAN NOT SMOKE POT, NONE, not any, not a single toke, she cant try to eat it, you cant blow it in her ear like you would a dog, nothing. to only thing that will make these symptoms go away is totally quitting pot.

i mean if she was injected with something that fought the nausea that could help but that would be something a doctor would do or something like that. i imagine if she doesnt want to take drugs she is not going to let you inject her with something anyway.

this thing really sux hard man. my friend was a huge pothead. she smoked grams of good bud everyday. she fought it for a long time refusing to quit until finally she got diagnosed with hyperemesis. even after that she still didnt want to believe it but the only thing that helped was quitting and hot baths/showers.

hope this is helpful.

Yeah man i told her she's gotta stop after it didn't work, now she just gave me the you're a fucking asshole and moved outa her house into here, then after months of this my parents had enough of her basically laying in the shower for hours and didn't believe it was from pot to begin with since myself included all 3 of my mothers sons were Heroin addicts ( let me re-word this, My oldest brother passed away CLEAN, but from heart conditons after a very bad OD where odds were stacked against him due to his heart being really messed up from it, Then i got clean from H and all opioids other than my mat which is being tapered every couple months meaning yes im still in recovery but not an active user and have been away from it for over 3 years now, just gotta drop this sub (which is RX'd) and am very excited actually about it that its comming soon. Then my middle brother got clean then ended his H run had a Son and has been doing great for about 2 years now) back to the story and They told her she could live here but she had to stop smoking one over the fact they didnt like the idea of someone smoking pot all day around ex H addicts and With a baby in the house, so she'd smoke outside and come back home all stoned so then it became a problem with the water bills... it's weird if people have been in that situation the first couple hours when WD sets in a hot shower does kinda help, but with this it completely gets rid of it for her but without the showers it's really really VIOLENT, i couldn't believe it at first now after all of this time and it happening every month right before her period BANG. It's to the point where my water bills are out of control because like i said the second she steps out of the shower, she'll run in and lay down just in a towel, i'll try and wrap her up in a blanket ( it's gotten cold really early in philly this year) and she'd guilt me to death can i please PLEASE get back in the shower,(which is heartbreaking seeing someone like that especially someone you care about..) if i said you gotta wait til 7:30am(parents leave for work at 7:30 and it was 715, she'd puke start crying then go anyway. Boiling hot showers make me sit in there with her to the point my paints pealing off my ceiling and walls. I have no idea how my hotwater stays hot that was a mystery in itself. Anyway yeah the girl straight refuses to stop smoking weed, she actually tried smoking it during the actual situation and swore it worked yet she was still pukin her brains out and just seemed to be loosing it mentally. I moved back home and am with my parents that are like what the fuck?! and having a baby in the house doesnt help. She's just to impulsive and straight pissy to listen to anyone but herself which im not even going to go into what she thinks is " Not a big deal" well it is when you lay in a boiling shower for weeks and dont pay for it and treat people like shit that are trying to help you. So yeah, i guess in conclusion and to make this post Help in the form of harm reduction, if you are having these symptoms STOP SMOKING,EATING,VAPORIZING anything with CANNABIS. Sucks but ya gotta stop smokin... I was really suprised it wasn't more common or heard of since Cannabis is such a commonly recreationally used drug and used commonly by most who do use it, weird weird syndrome. Thanks for the help and input, lets hope she listens sooner than later...
Be safe out there,
-B

Last edited:
I experienced identical symptoms after maintaining a diet consisting primarily of bread from a small local bakery. I was not smoking cannabis at the time and had not smoked cannabis in over a year at the time of onset. Make sure to keep a close eye on her blood work. I would pay close attention to her liver panel and look for signs of renal insufficiency. Find a experienced doctor she can trust and continue to be completely honest.

I am not qualified to give further advice and can't ethically do so without having direct contact with the patient. I will say this is a very real physiological condition that can be dangerous without proper medical intervention. These situations are complex and if handled ignorantly can precipitate complications that can take years to resolve.

What can happen--especially if she smokes a lot and potent stuff--is she may have hit her hedonic set point too much. When this happens, the body has climbed to a pleasant place enough times to where it shuts you off, and makes getting high hard or impossible. Her symptoms sound like her body trying to stop her from smoking any more.

Random13646
She SWEARS she hasn't smoked in 2-3 weeks, yet this month has ignored me completely and invited me over for thanksgiving dinner and she had to leave as she was going through it AGAIN, but if she quit 2-3 weeks ago she still has it in her. IM HOPING she's being honest about not doing it in anyway anymore and that this time next month it's gone, but im going to take her to a different hospital if they'll let me so i can get her over this, it is dangerous... It's so violent and crazy, you can see its both mental and physical but the physical is so brutal and then it makes her other mental issues flare... Lets just hope shes being honest and that these Dr's can get a good medical deal for her to go about this and end it if simply stopping cannabis doesn't... but before then again this did just start happening out of the blue and she's been smoking for a good bit..
Thank you for trying to help and giving me an option to try to help her,
Sincerely
- B