• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

Reading again the The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown.
It´s an interesting theory I wonder where he´s gotta all that insight full ideas.

I'm reading:

Barrel Fever by David Sedaris
&
Diary by Chuck Palahniuk

It´s an interesting theory I wonder where he´s gotta all that insight full ideas.

The majority of the ideas in the Da Vinci Code were not original.
It is a well researched (albeit, bad) novel, but it doesn't credit it's sources.

Dan Brown is the Michael Bay of modern literature, IMO.

I'm on chapter 61. %)

It's nice being able to read a few chapters here and there in my spare time. I was more accustomed to plowing through reading materials as soon as I could. :D

Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five.

I've made it a goal this summer to read nothing but classic novels that I should have already read by now. Up next: For Whom the Bell Tolls.

I tried (and failed) to force myself to read the classics so many times.
In the end, I guess I just prefer contemporary literature.
People writing today are just as brilliant.

Up next: For Whom the Bell Tolls.
The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls (a Nintendo RPG released only in Japan), is also good... ;)

I finished The Count of Monte Cristo :D

utterly amazing read; I have some favorite passages %)

I tried (and failed) to force myself to read the classics so many times.
In the end, I guess I just prefer contemporary literature.
People writing today are just as brilliant.

I think it's the evolutionary thing that I find interesting. Today was built upon yesterday, I find it to be much like listening to music. By listening to the music of previous generations, you might see where the building blocks and inspirations for modern music came from, and maybe even appreciate contemporary music a little more as a result.

The bulk of my non-fiction reading is from recent years. It almost has to be, given the ever changing nature of my particular interests. But fiction-wise, there are so many gems buried under the decades and centuries, it's hard for me to not be excited when I dig them up.

The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls (a Nintendo RPG released only in Japan), is also good... ;)

Is it like a World of Civil Warcraft kind of deal?

Yeah, I get that about classic literature. I'm just very picky about what I read.
Classic lit (I've read a lot of it) tends to be too dense. There is too much fluff, IMO.
I've read too many books in my life to read another visual description of an inanimate object.
I want every sentence to be justified in the context; I'd rather read 5 pages, than 500.

I'm generalizing, of course.
And, I'm sure there are a lot of gems that I'm missing out on.
But - like decades old cinema - they are far and few between.
There are very few pre-1950s films, TV shows or novels that I enjoy (as much as contemporary stuff).

I felt academic/peer/intellectual pressure to read the classics.
But, in the end, it was more about a sense of accomplishment.
Like some sort of intellectual trophy, proving that I understand complex lit and have good (read: academically approved) taste.

A lot of young people, these days, aren't interested in reading.
If we taught more contemporary stuff in schools, this wouldn't be the case.
For most of us, Shakespeare is inaccessible; Dostoevsky, too.

630x.jpg

^Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (AKA, The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls).

Is it like a World of Civil Warcraft kind of deal?

No, it's about: a magical kingdom; a kidnapped princess; and, heroes turning into frogs.

:)

I finished The Count of Monte Cristo; utterly amazing read.

I then picked up (and am already 70% of the way through with) The Gambler by Dostoevsky.

You mentioned that you were reading Monte Cristo like fifty times in this thread.
It's one of those books - as Dostoevsky is one of those writers - that people wear like trophies.
Monte Cristo is impossibly long, so I get that you're excited and proud of yourself.
But - and, no offense - I don't really care what chapter you're on... :\

"On Killing : The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society" by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
...and the current issue of Bust Magazine.

I like choices.

Finished The Gambler; was a rather good psychological novel.

Am now on Brave New World by Huxley.

It's okay. I've read better trip reports on here.
He doesn't have much insight into psychs, IMO.

Doors of Perception is the pretentious academic ramblings of an inexperienced psych user presuming to know more about the experience than he actually does. It sounds like the experiences of your typical intellectual during their first psych experience. I find it amusing, for that reason.

I think it's an extremely over-rated book, mainly due to the fact that there aren't many (mainstream) published trip reports.

I've tried reading a bunch of his other novels and short stories.
My ex-wife left me with over half a dozen Huxley books.
But, they're awful. I can't get more than 3 pages in.

Last edited:
Just finished Crime and Punishment. It was great, but I'm going to have to read it again. I just started Wuthering Heights, and am enjoying it so far.

Decided to save my book about war and killing to read while I'm waiting around for jury duty.

Instead read "Not that kind of girl" by Lena Dunham. What a self involved, whiny, "look, I'm edgy!", over priveleged twat.

Stolen directly from In God's Name by David Yallop. If you enjoyed the theories, definitely worth a read.

If you like the more exotic theories about Rosicrucians and Kinghts Templar, read Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

First one's non-fiction, second one fiction. Both written well, unlike Dan Brown's travesty.