• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Ultimate Opiate Potentiation Thread v2.0

The problem with this question is, what potentiation is one really looking for?

I ask because you could be asking: what combinations potentiate the palliative effects of opiates?
Or: what combinations potentiate the euphoric effects of opiates?
Or: what combinations potentiate the depressant/intoxicating effects of opiates?

The answers are mostly different for each question...
I'm not going to get into the palliative enhancement, because we're not on this site for that.
In terms of the euphoric effects of opiates, I would say hands down, you are looking at strong stimulants (cocaine, amphetamines, etc). There is a shit load of research that shows how the two (opiates and stimulants) are extremely synergistic, and produce far more dopamine (DA) release than either one by itself.
There really is not any other drug combination that produces more DA release than that of strong opiates and either cocaine or an amphetamine.
I guess the only thing to add on top of that is nicotine, which would even further the potentiation of the euphoric (and thus addictive) properties.
NOTE: Never combine cocaine AND amphetamine, only one or the other (and in terms of absolute DA release, cocaine--while its working--is the strongest, esp if you're using it IV or smoking). Cocaine and amphetamine actually work against each other (amphetamine needs to be taken up by the autotransporter (the reuptake receptor) which cocaine is occupying, thus adding the two is not only ineffective, but reduces absolute DA release overall).

Lastly, pretty much what everyone else has suggested is how to potentiate the depressant effects: benzos, barbituates, alcohol, antihistamines, etc.
However, SWIM honestly hate doing this. SWIM used to take H and benzos ALL the time. Thought it was nice, but that was before SWIM realized, that he could be MUCH higher and enjoy the opiate high more because he wouldn't be so tired and nodding out the whole time, which was especially the case when benzos, alcohol, or whatever was added. THEN swim learned in various college classes that in fact, these other depressant drugs actually DECREASE the amount of DA released! Yes, your are more fucked up, but you aren't as "euphorically high". This is because opiates work (in one way) by blocking GABA receptors and prevent release of GABA onto postsynaptic DA neurons (GABA release onto DA neurons acts to inhibit release). So when you take a drug that enhances the function of GABAergic neurons (alcohol, benzos, barbs, antihistamines, etc) you aren't letting the opiate do its job as well, so less DA is released.

Anyway, long story short, the question needs to be more specific. However, in SWIM's opinion, there is absolutely nothing like IV heroin + cocaine, with a cigarette afterwards for the cherry on top. (With that being said, that combo is literally the most addictive thing you could ever do. Unfortunately, it's lead to my demise time and time again, so please be careful out there guys and gals).

^epic first post, exactly what I was thinking all along but I never bothered to put the words together.

So short and sweet. I am a CCP with around the clock meds. I take Morphine ER and Percocet 10/325 every day. As far as potentiators, I'm under the impression that those that will work best with morphine may not work so much for the percs because of the whole opiate/opioid or pure/semi synthetic component. Are there any potientiators that will work with both of these medications at the same time? Also, so far my habit has been to take my first dose of morphine and percocet before I even get out of bed due to high pain levels. Should I take a potentiator then wait to take my meds? Am I okay to take the meds, then the "booster" then my next dose later? Take potentiators before bed to help my morning dose? Currently the only thing I take with my pain meds is Xanax. I would really like to be able to make my scripts last the whole month and not be running out days early because of taking extra meds on high pain days. If potentiators can keep me at my prescribed dose, that would be great!

Anyone here on Palexia (tapentadol) or are they just an irish/ uk opiate based painkiller?

Hi Rybee, good to here from you, im on it for pain but have started to abuse it, im on the 150mg extended release ones but i break them so that they act quicker! Love the relaxed, sleepy feeling from them, what about you? Xxx

I currently take 2x100mg of the ER version of Palexia, (though Palexia actually call it SR for slow release) but come to think of it, I've never heard of it being available in an IR version as I have to use IR Oxycodone for breakthrough pain.

What kinda pain do you take it for? I take it for neuropathic pain in the lower back, caused by sciatica. I've not actually heard of anyone taking it for anything other than back pain.

How do you break the time release? As said, mine are Palexia's, quite large oblong yellow things, can't find a good picture on Google though.

It took me a while to adjust from warm and fuzzy sedated feeling of Morphine to the energetic and stimulating effects of Tapentadol but I love it now. It's a lot like Tramadol and I find it really perks me up when I'm tired.

How do you find it works for your actual pain relief - or have you stopped using it for that? I actually find Oxycodone/Fentanyl to be better for the pain, but I do love the feeling of it!

Hi again Rybee, i just seem to have the strength in my hands to break them in half, just took 4 x 150mgs now and 2 X 50mg instant release ones a while ago, im also on codeing (kapake or tylex) and take a few of them as well, aswell as neurofen plus when im trying to take a break from such high amounts of codeine.
i was originally prescribed them for chronic shoulder pain but they led to addiction, along with benzos, all my own fault, well ive been abusing them for years, how many mgs of palexia are you on and what other meds? Thanks, Rachel from Ireland xxx

Except for the 50mg ones, id love to give vicodin a go but it seems to be illegal over here for potential to abuse lolol! ?

I find that a couple of cigarettes boost my high. I can only take Soma when I'm using because Soma alone gives me wicked side effects. I'm afraid of taking grapefruit juice because I'm on an antidepressant and the last thing I need are more med interactions. I'd have to look up my meds and the effects of grapefruit juice.
Sorry if already posted..
KC

Last edited:
I find, while ativan is sort of like the methadone of benzos, slow onset, but long acting, to be the perfect potentiator. When my heroin tolerance got to ten caps (1 gram) per shot, 3 times a day, I refused to shoot above 10 caps. So, I started eating 4 - 8 .5mg ativan (the equivilant to a football (4) or xanax bar (8)) every morning. They keep you sedated all day, and I was having to do less than 10 caps per shot and the high lasted much longer. That's my best advice. If you eat 8 though that equivils an entire xanax bar (though lasts twice as long) i'd suggest mixing a cap of girl with your shot of boy to make sure you stay awake to feel the effects. Though I haven't tried a lot of other potentiators, that one works the best for me.

Oh, before someone does something stupid, the reason I say it's the "best" potentiator, is because it's the strongest, but i have an extreme opioid tolerance and a mild benzo tolerance already, so needless to say, this is probably the most DANGEROUS potentiator as well, and only recommended in cases like mine, where it seems that no amount of heroin is getting you high, and WITH caution, always. had to make sure i added this disclaimer

I find, while ativan is sort of like the methadone of benzos, slow onset, but long acting, to be the perfect potentiator. When my heroin tolerance got to ten caps (1 gram) per shot, 3 times a day, I refused to shoot above 10 caps. So, I started eating 4 - 8 .5mg ativan (the equivilant to a football (4) or xanax bar (8)) every morning. They keep you sedated all day, and I was having to do less than 10 caps per shot and the high lasted much longer. That's my best advice. If you eat 8 though that equivils an entire xanax bar (though lasts twice as long) i'd suggest mixing a cap of girl with your shot of boy to make sure you stay awake to feel the effects. Though I haven't tried a lot of other potentiators, that one works the best for me.

Could work with any benzo that works like this (there's others), but you're overcomplicating things here since there 1mg and 2mg Ativans exist, in fact I never saw Ativans under 1mg. Seen tons of sublingual 1mg and these don't last as long but are 1-2 knockout punches if you have a couple. 2mg Ativans too obviously. So you could just have gone with the number of mg you go with in total.

As for myself, Hydroxyzine and Valium. Unless you have major tolerance, I do not recommend the Valium though, at least, depending on what opiate and in what way you are taking it. If you got a 5mg Hycodan or a 10mg OxyIR, sure, you can add benzos. But please don't take benzos without a tolerance if shooting up H, Dilaudid etc!

Last edited:
IMHO the absolute best potenator i have found is soma or GKA "generically known as "carprisodol or however its spelled to me there is no better potenator it works better than anything i have ever found just my .02$

Here are my favorite potentiators for opiates in ORDER, Heroin NOT included...
My favorite opiates I've tried, are -

OXYCODONE

HYDROCODONE

DILAUDID

METHADONE

I find these opiates VERY euphoric with the following potentiators -

1. Benzodiazapines (Schedule 4 Substances, RX only)

This is a no brainer here for it to be the BEST choice to enhance your opiates. BUT of course it comes with very negative consequences if abused rapidly. The Withdrawal can be worse then opiates themselves.
My favorite Benzo's to combine with opiates are Alprazolam (Xanax), Clonazepam (Klonopin), Diazepam (Valium), and Lorazepam (Ativan)....of course these choices are obvious, as they are the most abused Benzo's on the planet, lol.

2. Promethazine (RX only)

This is my all time favorite, adds so much to the sedation, takes the negative side effects such as nausea, itchiness, etc. and KEEPS the positive effects such as Euphoria, etc.

3. Hydroxyzine (RX only)

Very similar to Promethazine, the sedation is not as strong as Promethazine gives, but still puts a very good kick to the opiates I take.

4. Gabapentin (RX only)

I actually JUST got this prescribed to me a couple days ago, I'm still currently on Methadone, and take other opiates on the side at times to get high, and I was REALLY surprised how much Gabapentin potentiatetes my high. Great choice here.

5. Cimetidine (OTC, and RX)

I used to think this was a GREAT choice to enhance my opiate highs, the first few times I tried it was ok, but it's kind of over rated by some people who say WOW this is a great potentiator, its just 'ok' for me....can't compare to the ones I listed above.

Having used carisoprodol and promethazine regularly, have neither at the moment; found some 50mg diphenhydramine HCl tabs in the cupboard and just ate with a 5mg diazepam and a 1mg alprazolam; 15 mins later have snorted two 40mg OCs and have to say that the diphenhydramine works just fine. Could have done with a Listaflex (best brand of carisoprodol on the planet for sure) as well, but feeling more like I have railed 160mg rather than only 80mg OC...
And as to the above post, promethazine and hydroxyzine are both OTC, not Rx only. I haven't heard of any where that these common antihistamines are Rx only drugs. Brands Phenergan and Atarax are available in any chemist shop I know of without need for prescription, own brands are like a quarter of the cost. Like my diphenhydramine! It feels a lot like cyclizine...

Hi, I'm new here. I've been taking 15mg of Oxycodone roughly 4 times per day for some time. I was thinking of trying grapefruit juice to get the most out of my pills. I've read comments that people who were taking the same dosage as me (i.e. 15mg), dropped the dosage to 10mg when they added grapefruit into the mix. My question is: is the fact that I've been taking the above dosage every day for the past 60 days or so affect anything? Or will the grapefruit juice only affect the oxy that I take after I consume the grapefruit juice (i.e. I'd assume oxy has sort of built up in my bloodstream over the past 60 days of using it chronically, so would it be unsafe to add grapefruit into the mix or am I good)? Any help would be much appreciated. It'd be sweet if I could get the same effects from 10mg as I do with 15mg by adding in grapefruit juice, but I don't want to do anything that could be harmful to me/cause an overdose. Thanks!

CYP3A4 is the major enzyme involved in noroxycodone formation (OxyContin® [oxycodone hydrochloride controlled-release tablets], 2014). Coadministration of xycodone (10 mg single dose) and the CYP3A4 inhibitor ketoconazole (200 mg twice daily [bid]) increased oxycodone AUC and Cmax by 170% and 100%, respectively.
Numerous interactions between oxycodone and CYP3A inhibitors and inducers have been reported (Overholser, Foster, 2011). In controlled trials with healthy volunteers, the CYP3A inhibitors telithromycin, itraconazole, ketoconazole, miconazole, voriconazole, ritonavir, lopinavir, and grapefruit juice all substantially increased oxycodone exposure, generally resulting in increased opioid effects.