• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Ultimate Opiate Potentiation Thread v2.0

Prozac potentiates opiates for me more than anything else. I know it blunts the effects for some people, but it doubles my intake of opies due to the more intense/pleasurable high. It has the same effect on Benzedrex. Bennies are like a different drug when I'm on antidepressants.

To SKR. I was on Zoloft for a long time snd it worked well and I fully understand suicide cause I made a hell of an attemt in Feb. shouldn't have lived thru but friend found me and got me to ER. That's when they diagnosed my with bipolar I. Now in on Latuda and lithium and Kolonopin and Trazadone for sleep and hydroxizine after today. Just remember your not alone. My prob is I feel alone and that can feed a depressive thing in me. I haven't been manic in awhile but when I am I see and hear things so I'm on a high dose of Latuda. About 2 months ago I started getting really depressed and told my dr and she put me on lithium and it was amazing. Took a week and half and uping my dose but it wiped the depression away. I try to get out and interact and don't isolate. I know this is different than your post but you're right, you don't need to survive a trauma to be mentally ill. I think Zoloft is a wonderful med for uni depression. Just wanted to thank you for your post. I wish you well.

I just wrote a long post here and it erased it, again. Tried to read help faq and it said hit remember me and I did and still doesn't work. Anyway I'll sum it up. I tried hydroxizine and that shit put me to sleep. I like hyper kinda energetic buzzes off my opiates. That's why I take ephedrine. As SKR mentioned, panic attacks are no joke. I'm prone to nasty ones so I prob shouldn't take Epherdrine but I always take a Kolonopin so I'm good. Can anyone help me boost my opiates? Of course I want a buzz but really want pain help. My pain clinic is awesome but treat me very careful cause I'm in hospital system as an alcohol abuser. They can't call you an alcoholic. For Gods sake I just had my colon ripped out. I guess I'm lucky they treat me at all. So if you have ideas just assume I don't know anything, cause I don't and tell me what the med is and where to get it, dr or such. I'd really like some Soma but don't think I can get any. Anyway ANY help would be appreciated. I tried the Tagamet grapefruit shit and nothing. So, please help and y'all stay safe!

Nigella Sativa Black Seed Oil actually has mu-opioid activity. many people swear by it for both potentiation & avoiding withdrawal. tonight is my 1st experiment with it. Surprisingly, the guy at The Vitamin Shoppe told me it was an opiate agonist. how much, i don't know. I want to see if i can relieve my pain & feel effects while taking 1/2 of the dose of my normal meds. So far, I downed 1 tablespoon full. Stomach a bit uneasy, but to be honest, i think i do feel a little opiated. Will report back. I just hope this stuff doesn't get too much attention or as we all know...it will be off the shelves. Mixing Myrrh Gum supplement capsules is supposed to potentiate it even more, as myrrh has delta opioid activity. wasn't able to afford that today, but will order on amazon very soon.

There's a lot of... Anecdotal evidence and misinformation here. I'll just toss on a quick reply to clear a few things up. Some of you don't fully understand what potetiation is. Lol its anything that increases or prolongs the effects of a substance administered to alter the chemistry of one's body. That being said I am only talking about those potentiatiors one can purchase at a local pharmacy and really only those that are readily available.
HOWEVER the information here pertains to ALL potentiatiors whether they be otc, legal, illegal or just plain silly.
There are a lot of great posts in this thread already about the use of certain types of drugs used to potentiate others already. I see a lot of replies saying "I took grapefruit juice and it made this last longer than usual" or, "I took it and nothing happened". I don't want this to be lengthy, but it likely will be. I'm an RN, my fiance is as well. This is the Internet so take that or leave it. Diet is the most important factor when ingesting any substance. If your, "codine lasted longer when you drank gfj" you might have just not had anything to eat that day and the gfj had nothing to do with it. If you eat a full meal and take your meds then no amount of gfj is gonna make much of a difference. Here's what does work as evidenced by warning labels and studies and first hand accounts (not mine of course) . Grape fruit juice DOES have an enzyme that can effect the receptors responsible for opiate uptake, serotonin response and what not. It effects the liver and how it metabolizes the opiates. We all know what enzymes do, how they act as catalysts so I won't bore you with that.
Tagament also has known drug interactions with a myriad of different drugs. From opiates to benzos to stimulants. This is also why many pharmacies do not stock tagament on store shelves. They either keep it behind the counter or not at all. Tums (calcium carbonate) can help reduce stomach acids and should ALWAYS be take with grapefruit juice as gfj is highly acidic and can contribute to the faster break down of the meds.
Quinine has been said to be a potentiator, I have found no conclusive proof wether it's placebo or not, but there is no problem drinking tonic water and it's said to help with upset stomachs. To get ANY of these to help with potentiation it is best to have not eaten for 8 hours prior to taking medication. The digestive process starts as soon as you smell food and put it in your mouth, it takes 6-8 hours to complete depending on metabolism and body type. WHEN you take the potential potentiators is also a factor. I have a very high metabolism, if I were to take these with the hope of potentiation (which of course I never ever do) I would have to condense the time frame whereas someone with a higher bmi (body mass index) and/or slower metabolism might like to eat a grapefruit 2 hours before ingesting meds. And yes, I said not to eat but in the case of grapefruit you get far more c2 enzyme from the rinds and stringy bits than the actual juice. Blending a grapefruit and letting it sit after, (blending makes a lot of bubbles, gets really aerated) and drinking that would be your best bet.
Nyquil or a generic brand has dextromethorphan HBr (dxm) in it, it's been noted to work as a potentiatior as people have gotten high of just the dxm content itself. The nighttime version has 30mg whereas the daytime has only 10mg.this is typical with name brand and generic. The liquid form are of course the fastest acting as your body doesn't have to waste time breaking down the pills. It's worth mentioning that some people with low stomach pH or too high have trouble breaking down specifically coated pills/tablets. The tums can sometimes make it harder to digest pills in general. I've seen elder patients void out entire tablets of undigested medication. Dxm again will absolutely work as a potentiatior, most things that have effects you can feel on their own will have a greater effect when taken in conjunction with other medication.
I can not stress however that everyone's body is different, some people take opiates and if they drink alcohol the opiate effect is completely negated, what's worse is that combining them if you're not used to it can make one very, very sick. Trust me, not that I would know as I've never done such a thing.
If you don't think you're getting anything from your potentiators you need to look at several factors. One, when did you last eat? Fasting for 8-12 hours is always a good idea and is a standard precaution in hospitals for many meds/operations/procedures in fact for a colonoscopy (for all you who like to plug) they say don't eat for 24 hours and they make you drink something that tastes like bitter Gatorade that acts like a cleanse and a laxative all in one. A clean colon equals FAR better absorption, and a much better view for the cameras! Yay. Let it be understood that plugging is the WORST way to administer meds unless you follow the aforementioned cleanse and fast procedure. A clogged/dirty colon or even one you think is empty because you just voided (taken a dump) can prevent absorption of meds anywhere from 70-90%. Poop, really does get in the way, when plugging you want your intestinal wall clear of debris. During normal digestion your intestines are responsible for removing liquids and nutrients from processed food and fecal matter. You're "tummy growling" is actually your intestines during normal digestion. The less you have in there and the cleaner it is, the better the absorption of anything you put in there. This is info I've never seen anywhere else on a drug forum and is THE most important thing to know.... Outside of how to administer the meds of course.
Second, how fast your metabolism is greatly affects what potentiators will work and when they will work best.
And of course, most importantly, your ROA (route of administration). There is no point in taking Tums if you're going to plug or iv. With insuffilation Tums might help because you do end up getting some meds into your digestive tract via your throat/nasal passages.
Almost done now kids. You should know there is no such thing as over potentiation. You can ingest grapefruit juice with quinine (tonic water) and take Tums all at the same time. I would actually recommend the Tums as I stated before no matter what you take to potentiate. The tagament however, I would be careful with. Read up on the drug interactions. If this is recreational then do whatever you want, I'm not responsible for your choices and no one should abuse drugs. However if you are a recreational drug user yet you are also a diabetic or on BP meds, please pay some serious attention to the drug interactions.
In closing, gfj does work. It's a fact, it affects the liver, the liver processes everything. If anyone says different don't listen to them as they prolly only possess an "internet degree" and are spewing nonsense. An actual grapefruit; juiced or blended, or even pureed is the best you can do. Don't bother with even the 100% no preservative bullshit you find on the shelves. Just get a grapefruit and do it yourself. I mean you supposedly have the drugs right? Why skimp on anything that might help? Get your monies worth people! Because illegally or legally (especially legally, damn big pharma!) they are expensive!
As usual, moderation is key. Don't abuse drugs, stay safe stay legal blah blah blah.

Last edited:
My post at the bottom of this page/right above this reply should help you a lot. It's full of ways to boost the meds and are not going to affect your pain management doctor as far as them thinking you're an, "addict". Ever since this "Dr. Feelgood" bullshit pain management doctors are all pieces of shit. Nazis. Most aren't even real doctors, just nurse practitioners and physicians assissitants. It's a joke. Regardless, my post should help. If you have more questions please. Feel free to pm me or just post a reply on my post. I'd recommend the pm tho. This thread is already bloated with anecdotal and just plain wrong information.

Lope really must work very well for w/d, the amount of times it get's mentioned.

Has anyone tried it, not for w/ds, but for boosting other opis?

For example boshing 3-5 Lopes before your Opi of your choice? Would the Lopes cling to the Opi recptors in your gut, possibly meaning that more of what you really wanted from your DOC would be 'free to something else?

As you can tell i have not studied very much Physiology or chemistry to even be able to use all the proper terms. Nevertheless i hope the basic idea makes sense.

Also when taking Lope, can you take bupe at the same time or not, or would each substance most likely block the beneficial effects of the other. I cant recall seeing Bupe and Lope mentioned in the same sentence on here?

My earlier post seems to have disappeared so I'm going to try this again. ?

So, I suspect that the newest addition to my laundry list of prescription medications is having an extremely negative impact on the efficacy of my oxymorphone IR. I recently started a 10-day course of Flagyl for a dental/sinus infection added on to my current long term courses of medium-high dose amoxicillin and an average dose of erythromycin. Since then either my pain levels have drastically increased, which is unlikely, or the Flagyl has drastically decreased the effectiveness of my oxymorphone. I normally have to take 10 milligrams every 4 to 5 hours to keep my pain under control, but I am currently taking nearly twice that and my pain levels are still above average. This is really eating into my backup supply, which has taken me years to accumulate, and with the current war on chronic pain patients I can't afford to use up too much of that supply. Since it's only a 10-day course I don't see the point in getting into a huge fight with my pain management doctor about temporarily increasing my dosage, so I'm looking for my best option for a potentiator to make up the difference until I finish this course and see if my pain levels return to normal.

Challenges include my inability to consume solid food in any useful amount and my inability to insufflate due to severe sinus issues. Medications readily available to me include:

Cyclobenzaprine
Promethazine (small amount)
Benadryl
Levocetirizine
Zolpidem
Gabapentin
Clonazepam

I also have access to any over-the-counter medications available in the United States. I'm asking here about oxymorphone specifically because I'm not sure which potentiator would be the most effective for increasing pain relief while still keeping to my dosage schedule of every 4 to 5 hours, although lengthening the time needed between doses would certainly be a bonus. If there's any further info that would help to determine my best option just let me know, I'm happy to provide any information that could possibly help. I'm a little bit desperate here as my pain levels are reaching the eight to nine out of ten range every evening and it's bad enough to prevent me from typing this up even on my touch screen keyboard, so if there are any really weird seeming typos please just chalk those up to my voice-to-text app.

Also, if anyone happens to have experience with flagyl or any combination of the above medications having a negative impact on the efficacy of oxymorphone or any other opiates I would certainly be interested in hearing about it.

I'm looking at drug interactions right now for the prescribing information for opana and it says Cimitidine has been reported to increase CNS depressant effects (which I assume means that it potentiates oxymorphone too), It also mentions an increase in constipation and urinary retention with anticholinergics which I'm taking to mean as potentiation as well, as those are both side effects of opiates.

MAO inhibitors it says extremely potentiate oxymorphone, I wouldn't fuck with those though.

Ugh, my posts keep getting deleted. I don't have the energy to rewrite the whole thing so I'll just stick with the basic idea. I'll pick some up and see what happens. Thanks for looking into that, it's hard to research when in excruciating pain. ?

-BAKING SODA: Take 1tsp baking soda mixed with 1/2-1 cup water 20-45mins before taking any ORAL opioid

-*PURE* WHITE 100% GRAPEFRUIT JUICE: Drink approx 12-16oz. Grapefruit juice about 90 mins before taking any oral opioids (exception is for methadone which I've found to be best to drink the GFJ 60 mins AFTER taking the methadone). It's got a 3 hour time to peak and I believe drinking GFJ before dosing it delays that further diminishing fast onset which contributes to intensity. With all other opiods, this should not be a factor. Will work for any ROA.

-BENZODIAZEPINES: All benzo work, Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, Ativan are the most popular. Depending on how long it takes for the variety of benzos to peak, I've found it best to calculate so your benzo peaks about 10-15 mins after your opioid. I don't like my unique opioid induced euphoria being tainted and taken over by a different substance with a totally different effect, the goal is to potentiate the opioid, not just get all around hammered by whatever. I won't even touch weed with my opiates, it takes it over totally ruining my nice Pure opiatic feeling.

-CLONIDINE: This is a blood pressure med that is Centrally active as a CNS depressant . It works to lower adrenaline (Epinephrine/ Norepinephrine) activity in the body dilating blood vessels, relaxing the body. It is often given by conservative doctors for opiate withdrawal. I won't get into its effectiveness there but for the purpose of potentiators, works great. Take 0.1-0.3mgs right along with your dose of opioids. If you aren't using opiate orally, take the clonidine 30-45 mins prior. Use caution with this stuff if you never use it, over 0.3 and even there it can cause orthostatic hypotension (head rushes when you stand up) if this happens, stand up slowly and if you get severely light headed, kinda crouch down till it swiftly passes. Clonidine is a great potentiators.

-SIMPLE ACETAMINOPHEN & OR IBUPROFEN: I have always noticed in my 20 year experience with opiates, is this phenomenon where I used to get Vicodin (Lortab, Norco) and Percocet alot at varying dosage forms. The former is essentially Hydrocodone and acetaminophen combo, the later oxycodone/ acetaminophen combo. They both come in 5/325mgs, 7.5/325mgs, & 10/325mgs. 1st # being hydro or oxy strength, 2nd # being acetaminophen strength (they also come in the same 3 hydro/oxy strengths except with 500 or 650mgs acetaminophen for example Percocet 7.5/650 or Vicodin (Lortab) 10/500, etc. (Theres also a drug called vicoprofen which is 7.5 hydrocodone and 200mgs IBU). Now we know that oxycodone also comes in a format by itself i.e. the roxi's or oxycodone IR. in 5, 10, 15, &30mgs, same thing as percocet just without the acetaminophen. Here's what's weird. I've taken ALOT of these for a LONG time and when we're talking oral ingestion, somehow 3 percocet 10's, with any variety of acetaminophen hits me much better than if I were to take a roxy 30mg pill. SAME amount of oxycodone but for some reason the 3 percocet 10's hitting me harder without question. AND a percocet 10/650 will hit me harder than a Percocet 10/325. It's true, I've tried it over and over. I've always had the notion that some IR pills are so small Thier surface area makes for extremely poor absorption and bioavailability. And no matter what ANYONE says, there IS a difference in ALL pills from one manufacturer to another. I'm very in tune with my body and know what what does to me. I'd think I'd be able to be given meds blind and almost be able to identify at least quantity and substance. So anyway, my conclusion from this was that the acetaminophen, probably compared with a larger surface area, make opiates hit harder. I would not recommend taking extra tylenol with an already acetaminophen containing opioid. But with pure opioid contains substances, I think adding some IBU or acetaminophen potentiate evidenced above.

For anyone insulfflating or injecting acetaminophen containing products are a weaker nightmare, BUT, using non acetaminophen containing opioids in any ROA could be potentiate however slight by following with a few tylenol or ibuprofen. I take 2 of each say with a 60mg roxi shot.

Last edited:
You know how itchy you get if you take codeine or DHC. If you inject this, it does the same to the inside of your veins and can cause a hell of a lot of damage. I would imagine it would be a grubby hit any how.

Bloodspell, if you've got clonazepam on hand those are great potentiators, say 2mgs 30mins before oxymorph. Also try the baking soda and GFJ I listed above. Just tried the baking soda for the 1st time today with my daily 120mg methadone dose, (and I've been using GFJuice for years, daily). It rocked me! Like I'd taken twice my dose!

Does anyone know if PEA is safe to take with Tramadol? Would they potentiate each other? I'm a little worried about the SSRI effects in Tramadol being a bad combo with phenethylamine. Anyone ever take this combo?

Does anyone know if PEA is safe to take with Tramadol? Would they potentiate each other? I'm a little worried about the SSRI effects in Tramadol being a bad combo with phenethylamine. Anyone ever take this combo?

Sorry never tried this but as pea is a naturally occurring chemical in the body I could not see ethier of these working as potentiators each other....however maybe a sort of speedball effect would happen a mix of and 2 drugs working in separate ways can be more dangerous than just adding a antihistamine + opiod or benzo + opiod

so Im STILL confused here...Would taking cimetidine be beneficial to potentiate oxycodone or not?

I understand it inhibits a wide range of CYP enzymes. One, which inhibits it from being processed into noroxycodone which is inactive, so that would be a good thing, increasing average half-life and peak levels in the blood.

BUT, cimetidine also inhibits the enzyme which is responsible for metabolizing it into oxymorphone- a drug which is far more potent.

I see many people claim tagamet/cimetidine works, and Ive tried it a few times with morphine and enjoyed it.

Now, I DONT want to lose any oxymorphone metabolization, but at the same time, I hear conflicting reports of just how MUCH is metabolized into oxymorphone.

Would the increase in oxycodone in the blood but decrease of oxymorphone equal itself out? Would it negatively effect the potential euphoria from the experience?

Or is the oxymorphone amount negligible to the point that inhibiting both those enzymes would still lead to a greater effect due to more oxycodone?

I see a lot of conflicting sides. Many people claim it works for oxycodone.

May I ask anyone who is knowledgeable about this, and possibly have personally experimented? I'd really like to know asap...I dont want to waste this last oxycodone by eating tagamet..but then again Im so low on it that Id really like to potentiate it if possible.

I've never found anything that potentiate's opioids & opiates, not in the true sense. Yes if you have a lil or big opi tolerance but you've never taken Lyrica for example......you will feel more 'fucked up' but did anymore of the opioid metabolize in your body? Nope not to my knowledge, same with cannabis. One thing I'll say about Clonidine - that will increase your potential to nod if it works on you like it does to me.......I can nod off into dream land on Clonidine if all I've had is cannabis even at 75mcg I will 'fall asleep' or nod on that amount and the dreams are so real that I continue the conversation with my wife when I come back and she's like wtf have you taken?!

But does it make more oxy bio available - no I don't think so, it's more a case of two effects on top of one another and I don't call that a potentiation.

I use Clonidine to knock myself out before bed in the evenings 1 tablet (150mcg) will nod me right out!

But does it make more oxy bio available - no I don't think so, it's more a case of two effects on top of one another and I don't call that a potentiation.

Some of these do increase BA. For example, taking sodium bicarbonate or tums, basically anything to increase the pH of your stomach and GI *does* increase BA % according to the clinical studies that have been done.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2458208 (this is from a SL study showing specific opioids and the percentage change of BA when the environment was raised in pH)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3990131/ - "Oral loperamide absorption can be increased by raising the pH in the gut."

Also, I dont have the time to cite these next sources now, but things like the CYP inhibitors (wgfj, cimetidine) inhibits certain CYP enzymes that metabolize opioids. For most opioids/opiates, that is a good thing. Not so much with codeine. Debatable with hydro and oxy due to some of their beneficial (and not so beneficial) metabolites.

But if you look it up, or Im sure its cited on one of the previous pages (Ive seen sources on this everywhere), there are plenty of clinical studies that have been done showing how inhibiting certain enzymes causes the peak AUC (or blood plasma levels) to be higher. (due to less of it getting metabolized first pass, hence more of it reaching your bloodstream.)

Last edited:
Ok sorry about this moderaters and bluelighters, but im on mobile and trying to figure out posting new threads got me confused, it wont let me. But I need advice from users who have experince with Tapentadol/cucynta.

I just acquired 8 100MG Nucytna tabs and this is one opiate ive never heard or nor used before. I have a very low habit , I consumed 12 50MG tramadol about 5-6 days ago and used .1 of good quality heroin did about an 1/8 of it and almost got sick, thats how low my tolerance is at this point, little to nothing (use to be a huge heroin user but got 90% clean, using maybe once or twice every couple weeks now probably not even that much). Both were used on the same days. Now since ive never had experience with this opiate, I was wondering what a good dosage would be to get close to the nod stage. Or atleast feel pretty good. Thanks!

Last edited:
Tonight I realised that potentiation techniques (before) either hardly make much noticeable difference, or even none at all. I've tried all the potentiation techniques out there!!!!

Yesterday I drank 600mg Codeine Phosphate comparative dose an empty stomach and had one of the best, longest Codeine buzz' I can recall in a long time. Absolutely no potentiators used apart from Benzos and weed but these substances were not used until many hours after consuming the Codeine Linctus.

Felt great for hours.... :)

Last edited: