• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Sarpa Salpa (Alleged Dream Fish)

Morninggloryseed

Bluelight Crew
We have all heard of the dream fish, but I've not heard the term associated with the Sarpa Salpa (you can google it). But I've seen various claims that there are DMT-like indoles present. I'm at work, so I can't hit the references but I thought it might be nice to post and share what I've just discovered.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=911

And I've seen thiis...

For more details on the hallucinatory fish poisonings see the paper: de Haro L, Pommier P (2006) - Hallucinatory fish poisoning (ichthyoallyeinotoxism): two case reports from the Western Mediterranean and literature review. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2006;44(2):185-8

So there is an actual journal article on the incident.

Can that stuff kill you? if it can I don't see it being worth eating a poisonus fish when you can just go eat some deadly mushrooms.

I suspect marine life will harvest the most weirdest psychedelics known to humankind in the future.

Well, according to the article whatever made these two men trip for 36 hours is probably in Sarpa Salpa or the species of algae those fish eat. If the fish was consumed for recreational purposes by the drunken, orgy-havin Romans it can't be all that unpleasant. Still, a suspected indole that causes hospital-worthy stomach distress and makes people trip for that long--maybe the fish have 5-MeO-aMT in their brains!

Could it be one of those 5-halo-tryptamines that have been discovered in certain marine organisms? Like 5-bromo-DMT? Unfortunately this one sounds pretty nasty, with a lot of MAOI potential. Of course, no simple substituted DMT could last 36 hours. In fact, the only psychedelics known to mankind that do last that long are the unsaturated "dragonfly" compounds...entirely synthetic compounds.

If certain eatable, non-toxic fish did, in fact, produce psychedelic compounds, then wouldn't they already be known to humans? I would guess that this must be a pretty bad trip, otherwise the fish would already have a little notoriety and would probably be illegal.

Last edited:
Cetacean's psychedelic. Im willing to bet that these psychedelics are use by our oceans marine mammals.

Flipper has a wild side!!

I would highly doubt that dolphins are knowledgeably and willfully tripping. Do the higher apes willfully seek out psychedelic compounds? If not, then there is no way in hell that dolphins would be.

Higher apes have a fondness for fermented fruit. :).

But that's not really psychedelic :(.

Other animals eat psychedlic compounds - like reindeer eating fly agaric :).

But they are not higher apes :(.

Either way, dolphins don't have much access to ketamine without external assistance. Willing or not.

Last edited:
Riemann Zeta said:
I would highly doubt that dolphins are knowledgeably and willfully tripping. Do the higher apes willfully seek out psychedelic compounds? If not, then there is no way in hell that dolphins would be.
one, dolphins are smarted then apes.

two, yes there are a slew of animals who intentionally seek out altered consciousness.

third, the higher apes do seek out and even create psychedelics compounds.

I have read of gorillas digging out the roots of Alchornea Floribunda, a plant from africa, said to be used as an iboga analog of sorts by humans, and going, for want of a better term, ape=D

Not had much luck with it myself though, low doses of an extract just proved a strong stimulant, and I don't like stimulants so I didn't take it further.

Limpet_Chicken said:
I have read of gorillas digging out the roots of Alchornea Floribunda, a plant from africa, said to be used as an iboga analog of sorts by humans, and going, for want of a better term, ape=D

Not had much luck with it myself though, low doses of an extract just proved a strong stimulant, and I don't like stimulants so I didn't take it further.
the paradigm in which humans are the most intelligent beings needs to be squashed. We are just the most wasteful. Iv always thought this

Ah but what we lack in intelligence we make up for in cuteness (& overwhelming firepower). It's an irrisistable heady mix!

Sarpa salpa

Doesn't that look to you like they were going for one of those unimaginitive latin names like Bufo bufo (common toad) where they just repeat the genus name as the species name (I mean you get to name a species of animal and all you can be bothered with is repeating the genus name, ffs), but in this case somebody was pissed and slipped while writing it down so an 'r' becomes an 'l'. Some species have names that look like someone ate a whole bag of Scrabble letter tiles then vomited up a name (or at least an anagram of the letters brought back up).

I mean how else could you explain 'Pan troglodytes' ? (it's the name for the common chimpanzee) =D

Last edited:
I think it's arguable whether or not dolphins are "smarted than apes", although I will agree that some hominids (and I'm not naming names) are something considerably less than intellectual giants.

Most of the "dolphins are geniuses" crowd had finally given up by the late seventies. It had been such a neat, Disney-esque idea - "Dolphins Smarter Than Man?" - that for some, it wasn't easy to give up. However, over several decades research, the evidence has pointed very firmly towards: "Smarter than fish, sure, but dumb enough to constantly get caught in tuna and shrimping nets". Try to imagine a chimp walking directly into a completely unconcealed trap of mesh netting. It would have to be one messed-up ape.

Speaking of which, LordKrishna, can you link us to any peer-reviewed documents regarding these gorilla chemists of whom you speak? Respectfully, I think it's very important to draw from as large a pool of resources and, where possible, from actual field work, when studying the habits of animals (or anything else, in fact). These days, it seems almost anyone can have published a book or article - regardless of the sort of unverifiable nonsense he or she may be promoting.

Peacelove,
Aldousage

LordKrishna, did you just link to Sasha Shulgin's Erowid vault? that was seemingly random... am I missing something?

This sounds like the job of a qualified, and lucky, natural products chemist!