• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What is your Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)?

MazDan said:
Well I got an ENFJ.

Apparently that means I am a teacher and after reading the stuff I would tend to agree, however like horoscopes..........I suspect if I read the others that i could fit there as well.
heh, i said the same kinda thing to ali in a PM earlier.

i reckon, like horoscopes, we pick out the good stuff and go 'oh wow! that is like, totally me!!!11!' and gloss over the 'irrelevant' stuff.

where about in the whole MBTI world is the definition of someone like this:

'I'M SORRY, BUT YOU ARE A COMPLETELY WORTHLESS SACK OF SHIT WITH NO REDEEMING FEATURES AND SHOULD GO AND DIE IN A FIRE, NOW PLEASE, AND DON'T EVEN THINK OF PROCREATING'???

oh wait, natas is banned now. forgive my little off-topic outburst there. ;)

my MBTI rating changes depending on what drugs i'm on and whether i'm in a good mood or not.

but hey, i'm sure someone somewhere is making millions out of the whole deal, right? :D

yes TLB, tonight i'm gonna be a bit of STFU with an added helping of WTF and LOL.

i think one of the main problems with this discussion is that we've all administered the tests to ourselves. as such, the types indicated don't accurately reflect ourselves, rather our vision of ourselves - obviously two quite different things.

look at a question like this: "You readily help people while asking nothing in return"

i wonder how many people answer yes to that when they should be answering no. that said, the test is designed to seek consistency - if you're paying attention you can see examples of questions asked from different answers where a yes in one and a no in the other are consistent.

when i'm answering the questions, i try to think of real world examples which exemplify my responses. further, i find it helps to think about some of them like "if i asked my friends this, what would they say my answer should be".

maz, i don't plan any life or death decisions based on this kind of thing. i believe that self-knowledge is an important thing in life. i'm 40 and sometimes i think i have no idea who i am. less so no than 20 years ago but i still surprise myself sometimes. i see a load of issues and questions in slr which seem to be caused by the fact that the op has no idea who he or she is or what he or she wants.

the unexamined life is not worth living? i answer that with a resounding yes.

in terms of the comparison with astrology, i think you're way off. to me, astrology attempts to explain why we are the way we are (based on the most tenuous - to some - data about where the stars were when we were born ).

i don't think mbti tries to explain why we are the way we are. to me, it tries to explain how the way we are affects our actions.

alasdair

psyly said:
Communication gets better also when you have an idea of others types. A lot of miscommunication comes from the assumption that everybody is processing and expressing in the same way.

Good point.

I lolled quite loudly at felix........lol

alasdairm said:
i think one of the main problems with this discussion is that we've all administered the tests to ourselves. as such, the types indicated don't accurately reflect ourselves, rather our vision of ourselves - obviously two quite different things.

look at a question like this: "You readily help people while asking nothing in return"

i wonder how many people answer yes to that when they should be answering no. that said, the test is designed to seek consistency - if you're paying attention you can see examples of questions asked from different answers where a yes in one and a no in the other are consistent.

when i'm answering the questions, i try to think of real world examples which exemplify my responses. further, i find it helps to think about some of them like "if i asked my friends this, what would they say my answer should be".

maz, i don't plan any life or death decisions based on this kind of thing. i believe that self-knowledge is an important thing in life. i'm 40 and sometimes i think i have no idea who i am. less so no than 20 years ago but i still surprise myself sometimes. i see a load of issues and questions in slr which seem to be caused by the fact that the op has no idea who he or she is or what he or she wants.

the unexamined life is not worth living? i answer that with a resounding yes.

in terms of the comparison with astrology, i think you're way off. to me, astrology attempts to explain why we are the way we are (based on the most tenuous - to some - data about where the stars were when we were born ).

i don't think mbti tries to explain why we are the way we are. to me, it tries to explain how the way we are affects our actions.

alasdair

I find it particularly interesting that you have made those observations as they were pretty much identical to mine.

The readily help people asking nbothing etc was one I quickly answered yes to............and yet I had this thought pop up tyhat even though I dont ask..........I still gain and know that I will gain (via feeling good from making someone else happy) before I readil;y help..........sooooooooo............was i honest?

I noticed that there were many questions that seemed similar and yet I answered opposite which annoyed me because I felt I wasnt being consistent and yet I knew that I was because for me the slight change of wording made it a different answer.

ie do I read technical textbooks or some such............hell no I hate them..........a later question was something similar but not requiring reading a textbook and the answer was yes.

I came away feeling rather confused that i found thew damn thing so difficult and its the reason i want to do it again in a few weeks just to see if there is some consistency.

I found it particularly interesting that you also am struggl;ing to know who you are...........I am the same...........and yet, I am happy being the me that doesnt know who he is. Its probably why I prefer to get feedback from others...........I also think its probably more accurate than as you so rightly point out..........what we may perceive or want to perceive of ourselves.

Its an interesting concept and like i said, I will be very keen to see if the results are replicated.

MazDan said:
I found it particularly interesting that you also am struggl;ing to know who you are...........I am the same...........and yet, I am happy being the me that doesnt know who he is. Its probably why I prefer to get feedback from others...........I also think its probably more accurate than as you so rightly point out..........what we may perceive or want to perceive of ourselves.
i don't think i made my point here very clearly. i feel that who we are and who we think we are (who we pretend to be to ourselves, if you like) are, to a greater extent in some and lesser in others, two very different things.

i only mentioned thinking about it from the perspective of an outsider looking in only as a tool to help break way from our 'default perspective (inside looking out).

other people's opinions of who i am are irrelevant to me and should not be taken personally. i'll admit that's easier said than done sometimes.

alasdair

felix said:
my MBTI rating changes depending on what drugs i'm on and whether i'm in a good mood or not.

Your behaviour changes. But personality traits are enduring, patterns of behaviour. They are dispositions.

Your personality type does not change from day to day, else it wouldn't be fitting the definition of personality. I would say that your behaviour changes while under the influence.

alasdairm said:
i'm 40 and sometimes i think i have no idea who i am. less so no than 20 years ago but i still surprise myself sometimes.

That is what I was referring to? Did I read it wrong?

Your Type is
INFJ
Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging
Strength of the preferences %
11 50 38 33

INFJ type description by D.Keirsey
INFJ Identify Your Career with Jung Career Indicator™ INFJ Famous Personalities
INFJ type description by J. Butt and M.M. Heiss

Qualitative analysis of your type formula

You are:

* slightly expressed introvert
* moderately expressed intuitive personality
* moderately expressed feeling personality
* moderately expressed judging personality

alasdairm said:

Nothing tenuous or non-measurable (provided humans can, in fact, do simple mathematics) about the placement of the stars and planets at a given moment.

As with anything, perspective is everything in astrology. :)

OT:
The anti-astrology standpoint, I think, argues not that the raw data of astrology (the motion of the planets and stars) is tenuous. Rather, the contention is that the connection between these celestial bodies and our personalities and future behavior is tenuous.

To specify, the critique would hold that astrology's conclusions (about us, not the stars) are not easily disconfirmable (or rather, there are no systematic criteria for their disconfirmation). Thus, astrology cannot hold as a body of scientific theory.

heh...ironically, I would say that the Meyers-Briggs is just as bad in this respect.

ebola

can i just clarify that my comparison with astrology was nothing to do with the (pseudo)science behind either of them, i was simply referring to the way that we pick and choose the things that appeal to us.

i'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how MBTI would describe someone who is a complete and utter cunt. :D

(and no, not an ISTJ :p)

I constantly test as an ENFP.

It really does fit me... but as with all things one must take it with a grain of salt. I doubt any single test could totally judge and assess an individual. I'm a Sociology major and one of the things you will learn very quickly is that when it comes to human beings and their behavior ... an exception to the rule will always exist.

One thing that interests me alot about these test was its ability to realize that while I really enjoy social interaction and being in groups I also require alot of "me" time to recharge. Thats why I'm looking at one bedrooms right now. I can have friends and family over or go out but at the end of the day I can be by myself

Last edited:
Mariposa said:
Nothing tenuous or non-measurable (provided humans can, in fact, do simple mathematics) about the placement of the stars and planets at a given moment.
i know that. what is tenuous - to some - is that this data somehow controls who we are as people. (on rereading, what andy said... :) )

you know i'm not a complete skeptic when it comes to astrology j. however, i'm not a complete believer either. it's interesting to me.

alasdair

>>i'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how MBTI would describe someone who is a complete and utter cunt. >>

Cunthood is orthogonal to type - in all personalities, cunts abound. :)

>>i'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how MBTI would describe someone who is a complete and utter cunt. >>

In many cases, complete skepticism in one domain entails a complete lack thereof in another.

ebola

Johnny1 said:
Is there a way to take this test online at no charge?

Just do a google search for "myers briggs test" or something like that

I am ENTP

The ENTP, like the ENTJ, is charismatic, outgoing, and intelligent. ENTPs are often quickwitted, clever, and genial; they typically display a highly organized, rational cognitive ability which makes them natural scientists and inventors.

ENTPs are creative, complex people who seek to improve their understanding of the natural world, usually by building armored fifty-story-tall robotic monsters with iron jaws and death-ray eyes, or by creating genetically mutated plagues that spread unstoppably across the land, turning all who are contaminated into mindless zombie drones. They are less likely to want to conquer the world than to destroy it utterly, reducing it to nothing but slag and rubble--though this is often merely a side-effect of their pursuit of knowledge.

RECREATION: ENTPs enjoy recreational activities which challenge them physically and intellectually, such as water skiing and porting Linux to their iPods. They are also fond of collecting gadgets like combination cellpone/PDAs and orbiting arsenals of brain lasers, which they may port Linux to as well.

COMPATIBILITY: ENTPs and ENTJs make natural companions, as the one's unspeakable hunger for power complements the other's unspeakable hunger for knowledge. They do not generally build successful relationships with ESFJs, as ENTPs they are prone to behaving in inconveniently erratic ways, which pisses ESFJs off to no end; and because ENTPs simply do not know how to dress appropriately for formal occasions.

Famous ENTPs include Spencer Silver (the inventor of Post-It Notes), Robert Oppenheimer, and Dr. Jeckyll.