• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What is your Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)?

INXX.

I've always tested solidly Introverted and Intuitive. But I test F only slightly more often than T, and P only slightly more often than J, meaning that I'm INFP, INTP, or INFJ depending what mood I'm in when I take the test.

I don't think the Myers-Briggs test is wholly without merit, and I don't understand why it's such a popular target among hardcore skeptics. (I think it has to do with the fact that Carl Jung is invoked in a lot of the MBTI's literature, and skeptics consider him as much if not worse of a crank than Freud, if only for his positive attitudes toward religion.) Many of these same skeptics fully endorse the Big Five / OCEAN test as far more scientific, although the only difference I see is accounting for one other factor: neuroticism.

I decided to fill it in at work ( I did it at home this morning) to see if there were any differences - & hey presto I am now ESFP.

My reasons for retesting were that I felt that it was possible I may have a different mindset at work as opposed to not at work.

Explain why that could be to me please - assuming you know what you're on about that is. :)

This is rather interesting, relationships between types...

So, if I'm an ISFP...

B9, you are my "counterpart" (edit- or, at work, you're a "pal" :))

Jammy, we'd make good suite-mates!

alaisdair, we're tribesmen, "shar[ing] a sense of culture, but with different interests and abilities"

chicpoena, we are "mutually drawn into experiential escapades" 8o ;)

Last edited:
If you couldn't infer, I am a near-paradigmatic INTP.

>>remember that there are only 16 types so it's highly likely you'll meet like types - certainly more often than you'll meet somebody with the same birthday, for example.>>

It's a tad more complicated than this. The frequencies of the different types in the general population are not equal. For the rarer types (eg, INTP, INTJ, INFJ), you're looking at ~1 percent of the population. Furthermore, some types tend to cluster in particular social settings, eg INTPs sitting at home on the computer, or working as computer programmers and "scientists". ;)

re: birthdays:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem ;)

>>Many of these same skeptics fully endorse the Big Five / OCEAN test as far more scientific, although the only difference I see is accounting for one other factor: neuroticism.>>

Even though the Big Five holds greater empirical and statistical validation than the MBTI, I find the Big Five's descriptions "thinner" than the MBTI's. The scores that one receives along the Big Five's dimensions do not suggest any characteristics or behaviors not contained "directly" within those dimensions. The MBTI, on the other hand, points to an array of preferences for types of thinking, depending on your particular type.

ebola

Banquo said:
ditto.

i like the list of fictional characters...

Cassius (Julius Caesar)
Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice)
Gandalf the Grey (J. R. R. Tolkein's Middle Earth books)
Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs)
Professor Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes' nemesis
Ensign Ro (Star Trek--the Next Generation)
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern (Hamlet)
George Smiley, John le Carre's master spy
Clarice Starling (Silence of the Lambs)

...good ol Ensign Ro

Wow. Gandalf, Lecter, Starling and Ms. Ro. INTJ FTW!

Ebola?-- Is that 1% for each of the types that you mentioned or for all three combined?

>>
Ebola?-- Is that 1% for each of the types that you mentioned or for all three combined?>>

For each. To put things in perspective, if each of the types presented with equal frequency in the population, we would expect each type to account for 6.25 percent of the population.

I looked up some stuff, and apparently I was a bit off. It's more like 1 to 3 percent for each (given the relevant confidence intervals). The most common type, the ESFJ, accounts for ~12 percent of the population.

>>The Enneagram is probably the least verified and least scientifically useful of the common typing systems but it to has some richness and depth that you don't get in the other ones. But MBTI is my favorite because the Enneagram has a lot of moralism and tendency to regard people in a more pathological way. I am a five in the Enneagram model.>>

Perhaps ironically, the Big Five too is highly evaluative. Does anyone want to be closed to experience, disagreeable, unconscienscious, and neurotic? :)

ebola

ebola? said:
Perhaps ironically, the Big Five too is highly evaluative. Does anyone want to be closed to experience, disagreeable, unconscienscious, and neurotic? :)

ebola

Just took the big 5 and I completely agree. It was full of bullshit. I may have some negative traits but it makes such sweeping generalizations. MB seems more open to interpretation and I like that.

INTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this test changed my life forever. I <3 it.

"The Thinker."

chicpoena said:
How prophetic ;) :)

I think I might know what your good news is =D

be on AIM/phone moar and maybe you can find out directly ;)
hard girl to get in touch with :p

<3

i've tested out to 'be' a few different ones.. INFP seems most common, but the last one was ISFP.

ENTP - The Visionary

The description describes me pretty well, aside from a few deviations. Surprisingly a lot of physicians test xNTP.

^ Your result doesn't suprise me, wizekrak. I've read a fair few of your posts (esp in SLR) and thought how similar your attitudes are to mine (ENTP also). I think MBTI has a fair amount of merit, as far as these things go :)

ebola and Onœ, my fiancee is an INTP -- a very underappreciated type. She keeps my flights of fancy from flying too high, and puts up one hell of a challenge in any intellectual wrestling match.

The other thing I like about INTPs is that they are content to be fairly serious people. The ones I've known are either never snarky or sarcastic, or very VERY obviously snarky and sarcastic when they're trying to be.

Didn't see it in this thread, so from the older thread's original post
aladsairm said:
hello
are you familiar with the Myers-Briggs personality typology? i've found it to be an interesting self-learning tool and it seems - to me - to be pretty accurate.
a description of the 16 types can be found here:
http://www.typelogic.com/
and you can take the test here:
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm
what type are you? after reading the description of your type, how accurate do you think the analysis is?
namaste
alasdair (i'm an ESTJ)

...there's a link to take the online version if anyone wishes.

Myself? Just took it and came back:
ISTP
Introverted 21
Sensing 1
Thinking 12
Perceiving 11