• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

NCAA Football 2006 Thread

smotpoker

Bluelighter
As we saw from last year American football is suprisingly popular on BL.

So I thought it's never to early to start the NCAA thread!

Not really much to talk about yet, but I don't know if we can top last year, what a great football season, all capped off with an instant classic Rose Bowl between Texas and SC.

Anyone else picked up a preseason mag yet? I've only seen Lindy's, and there preseason top 3 is :

1. Notre Dame
2. Ohio State
3. West Virginia

I would have to disagree with the top pick. Notre Dame? The team they are ranked higher then killed them in the Fiesta Bowl. That would be a great rematch for the title.

And West Virginia is iffy. I know they made a good run last year, and that Pat White and Steve Slaton are both back (both sophomores, scary thought), but they BARELY got by Louisville, and they weren't really even competitive against V Tech. Still, they do play in the Big Lea...I mean East conference, so it shouldn't be too hard for them to run the table.

Ohio State, on the other hand, has 3 possible top 10 matchups all just by the middle of October. Texas, Penn State, and Iowa are all dangerous games, with UT and Iowa both on the road and at night.

Now I know Brady Quinn is back, and ND has Weiss as their coach, and they had the top recruiting class of 06, but Brady Quinn as the leading Heisman Candidate? Who was the big dog in the Fiesta Bowl? Troy Smith.

Long story short it's only June, I'm pumped, and September 2nd is only less than 3 months away!

As usual, when June comes around, Buckeye fever starts to build. The offense is going to be potent as hell, and you know Jim Tressel will always have a defense! It could be their year if they can get through the first half unscathed.

And we're going to dish out some revenge in Austin this year, and I'm going to be there to root on my Buckeyes. Any OSU fans down there better be ready to give an IO when I give my OH.

OH - IO

Go Bucks :)

I haven't picked up any analysis yet, but SEC football fever has been coarsing through my veins for several months now. This is going to be a rebuilding year for my beloved dawgs. We're stuck with that useless jackass Joe Terashinski until this supposed phenomenom can play. Georgia has a weak scheduel, which is a dissapointment. I'd rather see them lose to 3 or 4 heavyweight programs than eek by with wins over the likes of Boise State.

Go Dawgs, death to Steve Spurrier, the Vols, and the Gators. =D

Damn Rollen how the hell did you get tickets to that? I heard the student ticket office was having a random "lottery" to give out tickets. I'm not a student there myself, but I still might go down with a group of peeps in an RV hopefully. Do you have any idea what the tailgaiting scene is like down there. Or are there any Texas students on here that could let me know?

But yeah June is the time for Buckeye fans to start getting excited.That's when the preseason mags come out. O-H!

I-O!

campus is crawling with "the fever" right now. Notre Dame being picked as number one is ridiculous. Troy Smith outplayed Quinn last year and through the Fiesta Bowl, and he will continue to do so this year. Weiss is an outstanding coach, but Quinn simply doesn't have the God-given athletic talent as Smith.

the Buckeyes will be a championship caliber team if two things happen:

1) they can escape the helluva first half of their season.

2) Ted Ginn steps up. seriously, this guy is a pre-season all-American and his last year's performance was not as good as he should have been.

that being said... is it football season yet??

I agree, Axel. If they can get through Mid-October undefeated they should be in the clear. One game that really scares me is at Michigan State. I know the Spartans are average at best, but they always play the Big 10 season tough. They'll prolly have 2 or 3 losses at that point (msu not us) and they'll be hungry for a win. I hope the Buckeyes don't overlook them.

Michigan should be no problem, NIU might score quickly in the opening game but the D will mature real quick.

Now let's hope that the offense gets it going early and often. They will be our strength this year. And yes, revenge in Austin will be nice!

Michigan State has played the Buckeyes tough since they had that Smoker guy at QB. I shudder to think of the MSU VS OSU game and how close it was last year. they will have a real solid running game for a couple years, I forget their backs name but they got him out of Ohio and I think he is only a sophomore this year. his name was real celebrated and whatnot, coming from the talent producer that is Ohio high school football.

AxL BLaZe said:
Michigan State has played the Buckeyes tough since they had that Smoker guy at QB.

*shudders* i refer to that game as "the incident" ugh, i still think thats the best buckeye team (98) i've ever seen.

smotpoker~ i think we finally agree on something! exciting!

cravnbeets, I think it's best we don't mention that..."incident". I have had a couple nightmares in my time after that.

Thought I'd just remind everyone that's there is LESS than a MONTH until opening kickoff.

Oh yeah and Buckeyes #1 in coaches poll :)

i think notre dame will be stronger this year due to the players having more time to fully understand and implement charlie weis's system and for him to recruit more players who fit the mold of what he is trying to implement. it is great to see notre dame returning to a pre-eminent position in collegiate football again.

it'll be interesting to see the trojans this season. how will they handle the disappointment of last year's rose bowl loss (one of the most amazing games i've seen in my life)? how will they rebuild the program after losing their QB and top two RBs (among others)? how will texas replace the irreplacable vince young?

and will syracuse play like they fucking mean it? please? pretty please?

JerryBlunted said:
it'll be interesting to see the trojans this season. how will they handle the disappointment of last year's rose bowl loss (one of the most amazing games i've seen in my life)? how will they rebuild the program after losing their QB and top two RBs (among others)?

i think this will actually be the least compelling story in college football this season. either usc will reload like a stellar progam or they'll tank like a bunch of no talent tossers... either way not so much w/ the story...the story tends to follow those who perform well. on that note.... OH

;)

I've got my tickets to the UConn opening game against URI in a few weeks. UConn might make it into a bowl, but they won't be a championship team, really. I don't care though, it's a season filled with tailgating, drunken excess and good times.

cravNbeets said:
on that note.... OH

I-O!!

Man, I can't wait for football. Enough of this silly baseball and crap like that. College football is where it's at. Did Michigan even get a mention in any of the coaches polls? =D

OSU got their championship out of him, now I wish he would just vanish into the side streets of the ghetto.

Blue Adonis:OSU got their championship out of him, now I wish he would just vanish into the side streets of the ghetto.

My thoughts exactly!

Ohio States starting TE suspended for year:

Oh Well. I think TE is the least important, check that, the easiest position to replace on the offense. It sucks he's suspended, but at least it's not Troy Smith or Ginn, or Pittman. And their TE's haven't been good lately anyways. Fuckhead-Hamby cost OSU a few games last year. Everyone talks about Zwicks fumble against Texas and Smith's safety, but Hamby dropped a wide open catch that would've been 6 points. I hated Hamby. This really has nothing to do with the current situation, but I thought it was as good as place as any to vent off steam about how much Hamby sucked.