• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Dealing with OPIATE RELATED CONSTIPATION ~ Mega Thread

hey i havnt posted in a long ass time if ever but ifeel as if ive gotten so much from this forum over the years so when i googled this topic and saw this forum and some threads on this topic i had t sign in and give my experiences. im currently using about .7- 1.0g of heroin a day and i have constipation in the form rock hard number 2 seshion that ive learned to deal with through a series of push pause push shift thenweight of my seating position push etc nothing to special lol what ive noticed is mo matter how accustmwd my bottom gets to a certain size and hardness level it can physically output my stomache jusy increases the payload causing intense pain. i find myself injecting a shot of heroin/crystal meth mix of .07h and .15 meth so the pain is bearable. ive never been sexually assualted thank god and its no joking matter. if i ever took part in rough anal sex on the recieving end i imagine the physical pain to be somewhat similiar though obviously not even close to the same as being assaulted/against ones will(im not trying to be a smartass so please dont interprete my comparision that way) i see alot of people on here who r reporting horrible constipatikn from suboxone and oh my god can i confirm that. last year when my doctor was getting me off a large heroin habbit my dose of ssuboxone reached 24mg which im pretty sure is the max dose seeing as when he tried to raise me again the pharmacist called him and told him that i had capped off at the limit. this is no bragging right at all, i was constantly sick as fucking hell from late doses, sweatinf perfusely,sleeping way too long and using copious ammounts of crystal meth to compensate. worst of all oni only was able to have 1 bowel a week on avg the worst gap being abit over 2 weeks. luckily with the crystal i hadnt been eating much at all but the dehydratiom and lack of fluids together with being awake for 4-6 days (i was new to the drug and had no idea how bad that was for me) made the constipation worse so all in all the crystal was deffjnitly not helping. i took every laxative available nd they all did jack shit. theonly thing thay helped was missing doses consequetivly and then when doomsday arrived praying to god i got through it. no joke or lol i wanted to die it hurt so bad. fast foward to now. im using again and i dont mind itvery much seing as i was abusing alot of drugs that ifind worse than heroin in larger ammounts than i deem survivable for me not that any drugs i inject r healthy i just knowthat some r alot worse then others for me. faced with the constipation issue again i now try and eat more regularly drink any fluids referablt not carbonates and most importantly i try to miss a couple doses as to force abit of sickness and get my bowels moving everyday or two so as not to be a week without a movement causing extreme pain that was otherwise unavoidablw. i dont know if my post helped anyone or was just vulgar due to my fairly graphic descriptiln although if it and u want to ask me skme questions please dont hessitate and ask away/ lemme know what ir thoughs r

Lol, doomsday... That's exactly how I feel. It's like once you're on the toilet and everything is started there is no turning back. I find myself literally praying to God that I get through it it's so bad. I come out of the bathroom feeling like I just had a vigorous work out. The constipation aspect of opioids really sucks ass (pun intended), we should get a medal for getting through it each time.

For me personally coffee enema's have been absolutely amazing! Not only do they help with constipation, but they also seemed to cut tolerance down significantly. It can play a critical role in helping anyone get off the shit. I've seen threads on here where people say otherwise, and I would bet none of them have ever done a coffee enema. There are various treatments for serious disease that include coffee enemas. They have a powerful ability to detoxify the liver and help clear the colon, which is exactly what an opiate user needs. Couple this with some really good diet choices and you can turn it around much quicker then someone normally would. Even someone that is in a lot of pain and using a pain management program as directed, can find serious help using coffee enema's. Are they fun? no... Are they safe, absolutely enema's have been used by humans for a long time to help fight illness.

hey i havnt posted in a long ass time if ever but ifeel as if ive gotten so much from this forum over the years so when i googled this topic and saw this forum and some threads on this topic i had t sign in and give my experiences. im currently using about .7- 1.0g of heroin a day and i have constipation in the form rock hard number 2 seshion that ive learned to deal with through a series of push pause push shift thenweight of my seating position push etc nothing to special lol what ive noticed is mo matter how accustmwd my bottom gets to a certain size and hardness level it can physically output my stomache jusy increases the payload causing intense pain. i find myself injecting a shot of heroin/crystal meth mix of .07h and .15 meth so the pain is bearable. ive never been sexually assualted thank god and its no joking matter. if i ever took part in rough anal sex on the recieving end i imagine the physical pain to be somewhat similiar though obviously not even close to the same as being assaulted/against ones will(im not trying to be a smartass so please dont interprete my comparision that way) i see alot of people on here who r reporting horrible constipatikn from suboxone and oh my god can i confirm that. last year when my doctor was getting me off a large heroin habbit my dose of ssuboxone reached 24mg which im pretty sure is the max dose seeing as when he tried to raise me again the pharmacist called him and told him that i had capped off at the limit. this is no bragging right at all, i was constantly sick as fucking hell from late doses, sweatinf perfusely,sleeping way too long and using copious ammounts of crystal meth to compensate. worst of all oni only was able to have 1 bowel a week on avg the worst gap being abit over 2 weeks. luckily with the crystal i hadnt been eating much at all but the dehydratiom and lack of fluids together with being awake for 4-6 days (i was new to the drug and had no idea how bad that was for me) made the constipation worse so all in all the crystal was deffjnitly not helping. i took every laxative available nd they all did jack shit. theonly thing thay helped was missing doses consequetivly and then when doomsday arrived praying to god i got through it. no joke or lol i wanted to die it hurt so bad. fast foward to now. im using again and i dont mind itvery much seing as i was abusing alot of drugs that ifind worse than heroin in larger ammounts than i deem survivable for me not that any drugs i inject r healthy i just knowthat some r alot worse then others for me. faced with the constipation issue again i now try and eat more regularly drink any fluids referablt not carbonates and most importantly i try to miss a couple doses as to force abit of sickness and get my bowels moving everyday or two so as not to be a week without a movement causing extreme pain that was otherwise unavoidablw. i dont know if my post helped anyone or was just vulgar due to my fairly graphic descriptiln although if it and u want to ask me skme questions please dont hessitate and ask away/ lemme know what ir thoughs r

Posts like this one are frustrating, not so much for their content, but for their format. Think about writing your posts in a way that's easy for anybody to read. This means breaking up the post into several paragraphs. Your post discusses many things, but one long paragraph makes it look like it's only about one thing. Also it will help if you work on your spelling. Other bluelighters will take you more seriously if they can understand you.

Hope this helps you the next time you make a post.

Methadone Constipation

I would have the same problem as you but I take Milk of Magnesia every single day, I take more than it says too because I'm on 100mg of methadone a day. That's the only thing I know that will make me have the urge to go, when I started on methadone, my stools became huge and painful to pass, then eventually I lost the urge to even go to the bathroom at all, and haven't gotten it back yet, only way I can get a urge is by Milk of magnesia or prescription Lactulose and it's straight watery with pellets mixed in, sorry so graphic. I've been searching for another alternative, but no one seems to have one. So only thing I've learned so far is take "MOM" every day or possibly every other day, that way it keeps your bowels moving and the stool doesn't have time to move slow and become hard and majorly stopped up, if you keep them moving preferably with a laxative that brings water in the colon... you should feel much better, it's just very irritating to me because it's not just 1 toilet sitting, it's multiple trips back and forth.. till its all the way gone , but usually it wears off on me before I'm able to get all of it out of me. That sucks because I need something to take that will give me the urge to go and everything come out in 1 toilet sitting. Lactulose works great but they both give you gas aND bloating and make your stomach growl and gurgle all the time until it's empty. But you won't have any pain or cramps, both are cramp free. Does anyone know any methadone users that are taking something for constipation relief???

Yes, I've seen multiple people take it daily with 0 pain or problems. Cramp free. It basically just brings water into the intestines to soften the waste and/or turn into water for it to slide out. Be sure to drink plenty fluid with electrolytes because it's draining water from your body to bring it to your intestinfes, the more water you drink the better, you will actually feel it flushing you out as you chug the water.

Popester
The only OTC remedy for opiate induxed constipation is Milk of Magnesia, and Miralax (restoralax in Canada , generic peg)
MOM is stronger and works better if you haven't gone in awhile, but PEG would probably be optimal for daily ongoing use, though you'd need to experiment to find the right dose to make your BMs how they used to be... You'll need a greater dose than up to the rim like directions say as that dose works for children (who aren't on 100mg methadone)... It's a powder that doesn't have a flavour you can dissolve in juice.
However MOM is also safe for daily use, it's just magnesium, and if cost is an issue, mom would beat PEG hands down.

I'm taking a generic combination of Docusate sodium and Sennosides (Senna) for my constipation while on buprenorphine. Sometimes it takes me more than a few days to even get close but I figured out how I can get myself to the bathroom - I took four of the tablets last night around 10 pm (Tablets are 50mg docusate/8.6mg senna). Then around 2 am or 3 am I took two more tablets. This morning at 8 am I ran to the toilet and finally felt relief.

Thanks Bliss26, another thing I was wondering .. I no longer get the urge to go to the bathroom, matter of fact if I don't force myself to go with the MOM my stomach will hurt real bad all over towards bottom of gut and sometimes knock me to my knees. That usually tells me I am backed up and doesn't take long for that to happen either, hell now it seems my stomach hurts constantly all the time UNLESS I use MOM every evening or every other day. That way i,don't have any pain but if I could get my urge to go to the bathroom back.. I think I could totally handle my methadone constipation issue.

Y'all are so lucky! I've got paralytic illeus and I have to take castor oil! I used to be able to go after drinking a bottle of magnesium citrate, but no more!!

I've waited as long as 30 days but I never can get the process started.

After years of problems from opiates involving constipation I learned to try and only dose long acting opiates one time each day after going to the bathroom. With short acting opiates I always make sure there is over 16 hours elapsing between my last evening dose. So I would make sure no to take any short acting opiates after 5 PM. If you go to the bathroom in the PM then you can try and only dose after doing so. Waking up and taking opiates before going to the bathroom was extremely bad for my health and never worked in the long run.

Keeping your dose low while on MAT is also a great way to reduce side effects. After getting below 2 mg of bupe things really started changing with my constipation. Thankfully the 1.5 mg of bupe held me for over 24 hours. With suboxone I have read extra norbupe does not cross the BBB but it does attach to your gut receptors. Maybe spitting out the dose after it absorbs could cut down on the amount of extra bupe converted to norbupe.

Last edited:
I went 7 days once. It was fucking horrifying. The delivery took two fucking days and my ring-piece was dilated by about 3ft...

opiate constipation? welcome to opiate addiction, lol. seriously one of the worst parts of the addiction. ezp. once you TRY and get clean/sober and you are BACKKKKED THE FUCK UP!

some people, even once making a switch to Suboxone or Methadone, you will still have problems; they were NOT AS BAD as the dope/opiates itself was but still caused major back-up problems but generic CVS branded constipation pills helped. I've tried everything and then some but just generic CVS branded pills helped me get through a 10+ year addiction to heroin/opiates. before you know it, and I was down to 4MG Suboxone, I was shitting every other day and not having to worry like I once did. who would have thought, right? well, things are finally going in my direction and I plan on getting off Suboxone totally over the next few months and look forward to having NO WORRIES when it comes to dropppppppppping a nice deuceeeeeeeeeeeee, baby!

So, I feel a little strange admitting this, but I actually welcome having the runs during withdrawal. Severe constipation has got to be the only drawback with opiates, I mean, besides the fact that addiction can cause a major life setback. But yeah, it's sooo awful when going about living becomes contingent upon bowel movements or lack thereof. With bupe, which has actually caused worse constipation than methadone, I've noticed that my natural bowel habits have begun improving, that wasn't until I was at 1mg though. Sadly, prune juice mixed up with miralax (and occasionally topped off with some senna) has found a special place in my heart.

In my personal opinion...LACTULOSE is better than Milk Of Magnesia. I find that lactulose is easier on the gut and you won't have liquid trapped in your gut from getting constipated before the med had time to get out of you. Lactulose is prescription, but is cheap and works great, works within 4 hours on me, take your dose and immediately start drinking water, water helps by flushing your bowels. If you are severely constipated like me... you will try this.. I lost my normal urge to use bathroom a long time ago so all I get is the pain from not going for awhile, so taking something is the only way to get the urge to go and it's liquid but it's progress I'm on 100mg methadone daily btw. Plan on going down soon to see if I can find a dose that let's me regain my urge to go again. The lactose will pull all the water you drink (the more the better) into your colon to soften the stool or much less start turning it into liquid for it to flow out .

Anybody else have aNY advice on what to take for opiate induced constipation? What is your daily routine? Many people come to this forum looking for relief on,constipation because it puts a damper on your daily life, so what do you take? Also anything for methadone 100mg a day constipation?

Kombucha!!! I can't get enough of the stuff, and I definitely notice that it helps my digestion in general. Tea helps me with opiate constipation, due to the caffeine content, so it could just be that but nothing is really going to stop me from drinking my kombucha. I feel like the human race as a whole would benefit from the consumption of more kombucha, and less booze for recreational purposes. Think of all the livers that would be saved.

In a sense there is no real way of avoiding it (please correct me if I am wrong) - but I think it is a side effect of the drugs especially with daily use. I drink a lot of water, eat foods with high fiber content, and drink kombucha and a lot of green tea. I used to be constipated to the point that it was very painful at times, but now I just feel like my digestive system is really slowed down a lot.

Oh. How could I forget. What is wrong with me: dabs!!! Marijuana dabs will help with these digestion problems from opiates. I often wind up getting er done shortly after a large dab of some nice oil.