• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Dealing with OPIATE RELATED CONSTIPATION ~ Mega Thread

its true, I am trying to take shits, stay sober, and do well w life IMTryingggggg.

Phew. Laughing uncontrollable with your iPad is the best way to get people asking what is so funny and you can't just share your bluelight moments to everyone :p

Why everything poop related is so fun?

Is macrogol good stool softener? I have been using laxatives but as the dose gets going smaller I don't need them anymore but instead a stool softener would be better.

Lmao..sorry but i just have to laugh at some of the comments..
i have been on methadone for over four years & i am happy to be planning to get the hell off of it. I have done just about every opiate out there and nothing, i mean nothing has made me SO fricking miserable, bloated & backed up as methadone!!
I have gained like 35lbs., and i swear that 5lbs or so is literally crap in my colon.
I take miralax almost daily & then i have still gone for a week or week & a half without going & i have taking all sorts of laxatives to try to go!!
Finally i have to resort to the dreaded enema-which is awful at best & still doesn't help me to feel anywhere near normal or cleaned out, so to speak.
It is SO MISERABLE!!
The best thing to do is what someone else mentioned and take a daily stool softener, that & drink alot of water so you can go at least every two days..thats my best experience anyway.
yep, welcome to feeling like crap literally while on methadone...the stuff is poison.

Yeah I was like that while on methadone. Plus when you do eventually go it's like passing an overweight hedgehog.

The very worst is of you develop diahorria further up in your colon while still blocked up with a "plug' of harder matter further down.

Too much info maybe but the pain is like nothing else.....

Holy SHIT! God a good giggle session out of this one....LMFAO @ 'mudbeast' but I am allowed as I have shit out a 24oz barrel cactus once or twice, so...I feel ya.

Sorry guys. I am in a very good place in my fight right now and it always causes me to look back at the fucking ridiculous lives I have led and laugh. It's all so fucking hilarious....

Anyway. Go to your local herbal store or wherever and look into Swiss Kriss. It's all natural, herbal remedy been around for 1000 years. I use them if I go 2+ days. Better believe it.

Eat more fruit. Like every day as much as you can stand.

Drink a shitload more water.

No reason to turn the colon and intestinal walls into swiss cheese. Now you are talking Diverticulitis...can you say colostomy bag?

When SWIM drinks PPT as well as morph and oxy...it would take fucking dynamite to unplug that situation if he didn't employ all the things he just suggested.

Good luck

go to the ER RIGHT NOW dude. ZI guarantee you are septic and poisoning your body as we speak. Your organs can become irreversibly affected.

Dude....anything over 2 days is BAD. I am not judging but..lordy....

Natalie I laugh histerically at these posts, especially when I am on the wagon because it is just shockingly funny how fucking stupid I can be at times.

plus there is ALWAYS the giggle+ factor when it comes to poopin'. No idea what that's about....

And as far as Methadone. When I was on 240 a day as maintenace it was the lowest point in my life. And concerning our topic at hand....I did not have a normal run 'o the mill bowel movement for 2 goddamned months after ingesting that nazi poison for a year. Methadone should have been pulled out of the pain management/recovery play book a long long time ago.

Good luck and God Bless, everyone!

Last edited:
Holy SHIT! God a good giggle session out of this one....LMFAO @ 'mudbeast' but I am allowed as I have shit out a 24oz barrel cactus once or twice, so...I feel ya.

Sorry guys. I am in a very good place in my fight right now and it always causes me to look back at the fucking ridiculous lives I have led and laugh. It's all so fucking hilarious....

Anyway. Go to your local herbal store or wherever and look into Swiss Kriss. It's all natural, herbal remedy been around for 1000 years. I use them if I go 2+ days. Better believe it.

Eat more fruit. Like every day as much as you can stand.

Drink a shitload more water.

No reason to turn the colon and intestinal walls into swiss cheese. Now you are talking Diverticulitis...can you say colostomy bag?

When SWIM drinks PPT as well as morph and oxy...it would take fucking dynamite to unplug that situation if he didn't employ all the things he just suggested.

Good luck

THANKS Topherx221...those posts above had me crying I was laughing so hard!!!!
And i REALLY needed that right now!!!
I posted in a methadone forum about my WONDERFRICKINFUL methadone w/d's right now...asking & begging for advice to make my hell at least a little bit bearable!!
Methadone w/d's should be banned...they are truly unGodly! And I've quit from the lot..but NOTHING compares to this.

But hey, at least i am no longer constipated!!! YAY, no more bricks here 8o

go to the ER RIGHT NOW dude. ZI guarantee you are septic and poisoning your body as we speak. Your organs can become irreversibly affected.

Dude....anything over 2 days is BAD. I am not judging but..lordy....
anything over 2 days you should to go ER? you nuts? I would have been an ER regular if that were the case and if am absolutely fine. I would go a week+ at times and still be OK. sure, who the fuck nows what happening on the insides but I can tell you its been a while and I never had any problems besides NOT shitting often; other than that all has been good. and now on 4MG bupe I am back to shitting every other day almost.

Why is this 12 pages?
Most laxatives do not work for opiate induced constipation.
Things like fiber, psyllium, all bran just make opiate induxed constipation worse.
2 things that DO work
1. Milk of magnesia - comes in flavours, start at 1tbsp and crank it up every 6 h with no result

2. Miralax- but you need to use lots to have it work. Once you produce you can use a cap a day preventatively for maintenance .

As for me I only get constipation w codeine sulphate , I could be on monster oxy or dilly dose and not be constipated. Maybe rabbit pellets but no real 12 day constipation like the codeine causeed

constipation from morphine

This is really pissing me off, and it can't be healthy either. So I enjoy recreational use of morphine. And usually only do it about once a week. Oral dose of 120mg is good for me. Which usually causes me to go 5 days without a bowel movement. Well I've done it a few times in the past week and I'm at 9 days without going #2 and it's starting to feel uncomfortable. I've been drinking alot of water, avoiding foods that make it hard to go, tooken chocolate laxatives the past 2 days, had a couple table spoons of olive oil and nothing has worked! Other opiates don't make it this bad but morphine is the worst. Any ideas? I'm limited on funds so any advice would help alot. Thanks

This is really pissing me off, and it can't be healthy either. So I enjoy recreational use of morphine. And usually only do it about once a week. Oral dose of 120mg is good for me. Which usually causes me to go 5 days without a bowel movement. Well I've done it a few times in the past week and I'm at 9 days without going #2 and it's starting to feel uncomfortable. I've been drinking alot of water, avoiding foods that make it hard to go, tooken chocolate laxatives the past 2 days, had a couple table spoons of olive oil and nothing has worked! Other opiates don't make it this bad but morphine is the worst. Any ideas? I'm limited on funds so any advice would help alot. Thanks

Phillips milk of magnesia. Cherry flavored (even tastes good). This works great even on methadone which is known for producing rock hard impossible to pass feces lol.

Seriously. It works great. Generic is like $3 if that.

The easiest and most basic way to avoid going through HELL is to take a stool softener TWICE a day, everyday.

Eat plenty of salads and try to consciously drink more water. I got to the point that I stole actual stool softeners if need be, BEFORE I took my Oxy. I swear I nearly had to go to ER several times, after not having a bowel movement for 10+ days! And it's NOT cute when a 5 feet tall blonde girl clogs the toliet on the regular. ;0

But back to the post - I buy the Equate brand (WalMart brand) - works JUST as good as the $10 stuff.

I concur w crazy diamond .
As I said upthread, milk of magnesia and miralax are the only things that work well for opiate constipation.
Milk of magnesia is way cheaper and works faster. Miralax would be better to take daily as a preventative . Miralax dissolves in liquid and has no taste. As for mOM lol I buy cherry. Start at 2 tbsp and take another 2T every couple hours until u go.
This WILL work. Stay close to the potty!

Take As Many Laxatives As You Need To In Order To Take A Shit!!!!

I let it get away from me again for the second time in my life, and could have easily died.

-A couple weeks went by without the urge to go. Not too big a deal. But I tried to go and couldn't.
-I was busy with life and such, so just ignored it for a couple more weeks.
-By the time I realized how long it had been, 4 weeks had gone by. (being a junkie I only eat 1 meal per day)
-Now scared of the horrible pain that awaits me, so actively try to put it off longer
-Further reduce meal intake and keep suppressing urges
-6 weeks without going, starting to get uncomfortable and keep fighting urges, because I'm now fairly sure I'm going to have to go to the hospital to get this handled and don't want to
-Trying to decide on when to go to hospital after 7 weeks but I can't get enough dope together for the few days it might take; scared w/d will result in fatal perforation. only eating 1 very small meal every 3 days to avoid perforating. start getting overflow leakage.
-All but completely stop eating; spending every waking moment trying to fight off the urge to go until i can get enough dope and get to the hospital
-Never wind up going to hospital and after 9 weeks even large shots of dope on top of holding it fails. basically against my will my bowels start contracting harder than peak cold turkey withdrawal power. Screaming, having chest pains, blood gushing out of my nose, on the verge of passing out as disgustingly oversized fecal obstruction is forced out of me that feels like crapping a football covered in sand paper and razor blades.
-Somehow get it out but this happens 3 more times in the next 12 hours as large obstructions that were further up in my colon come down. child birth? pfft you girls have it easy.

It is an absolute miracle that I didn't get a tear in my intestines. Every stool was dry, hard as a rock, thicker and longer than my forarm, ..and the two 7-8 trains of ball-shaped sand paper each bigger than a billiard ball. I couldn't find any medical reference at all for 60-70 days of not shitting without requiring surgical intervention. So incredibly lucky to not only be alive, but to not have needed surgery. On the upside, after all the starvation and after it was all finally out, those 60-70 days my weight dropped 70lbs from 300 to 230.

So, as this post started: Heavy opiate users, take as much laxatives as it takes to not wind up like me!
Yes I know this post is gross but the point needed to be made.

Last edited: