What great band have you just discovered?

not a band...but within the past year i've started listening to a lot of joni mitchell. wow is she amazing! i never really gave her a fair chance b/c my parents always used to listen to her, so of course, it wasnt cool! %)
still, i guess its something i only put on when im in a certain mood. check out the album "blue".

I just recently stumbled into The Shins, their cd "Chutes and Ladders". They remind me of a modern day Kinks. Very cool stuff, I can't stop repeat playing the whole disc.

heh the first shins album was what I first tripped on my first acid trip... its was crazy

CatfishRivers said:
I just recently stumbled into The Shins, their cd "Chutes and Ladders". They remind me of a modern day Kinks. Very cool stuff, I can't stop repeat playing the whole disc.

I saw them supporting Belle & Sebastian over the summer, they blew me away :)

Uncle Tupelo are probably my 'find' of this year, it was Jeff Tweedy from Wilco's band before Wilco. I can't stop listening to the 'Best Of'.

!!! (chk chk chk) were the complete mutts nuts at the Astoria in London 2 nights ago - if you get chance to see em don't pass it up. That's the best band I've seen since the Happy Mondays in their prime (who they remind me of a bit) and I can't give higher praise than that. Their latest album Louden Up Now is great but I'd heard that you need to see them live to realise how good they are, and now I have done I know what they mean - like, fucking brilliant!

karmacoma said:
!!! (chk chk chk) were the complete mutts nuts at the Astoria in London 2 nights ago - if you get chance to see em don't pass it up. That's the best band I've seen since the Happy Mondays in their prime (who they remind me of a bit) and I can't give higher praise than that. Their latest album Louden Up Now is great but I'd heard that you need to see them live to realise how good they are, and now I have done I know what they mean - like, fucking brilliant!

Yeah, I dig !!!

Originally posted by atlas The soft boys

damn right.

I haven't really discovered any 'new' bands recently, but I have been discovering amazing albums by bands I was already familiar with or had written off:

XTC
Morissey
Bolt Thrower
Amebix

Oh, I forgot! I finally listened to The Coral. They're really good, they take all sorts of 60s influences and weave them together fairly well. Give 'em a listen.

i am fuckin in love with Glasgow band MOGWAI
ole-490.jpg
----thanks to Sparky (who knows EXACTLY my taste in music) and told me all about this fantastic group . <3

They can be described as thus (and i quote) : Their music is the sum of the previous forty years — the primeval rhythms of rock ’n’ roll; the raw viscera of the Velvets; the naked passion of Joy Division; the heart and soul of the holy trinity of Spaceman 3, Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine; and the brooding beats of the dance floor. All this from a primarily instrumental band.

i rarely like newer bands...... but this time im floored.

Mogwai are amazing...their best cds (IMHO) are "Come on Die Young" and the e.p. that followed that cd (forget the title at the moment). Their remix cd is mega rad too. Perfect for dxm experiences. If you like them, then please do check out the band Sigur Ros, and possibly Low as well. And Tortoise, the kings of indie-instrumental.

BTW-Mogwai aren't really that new...they've been around for a few years at least...but I am glad you dig 'em.

karmacoma said:

I was actually just about to start a thread asking if they were any good, because i saw the CD in Sam Goody yesterday and i thought about getting it, but i didn't know anything about them, i only recognized the record label that they were on...

So would you reccomend the purchasing of the CD regardless of having seen them live???

faithfully dangerous said:
bloc party, apartment, ratatat

and any reccomendations from you i will definitely have to look into..:D

I bought the "!!! (chk chk chk)" CD last night and i have to say that it is quite impressive...

I can go ahead and say that touch and go records is the best going right now...

with TV on the Radio, Polvo, Red Stars Theory, June of 44, CocoRosie, Pinback, !!!(chk chk chk), and a few others I can't think to mention...