Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Adrenochrome Thread

/\
|
|
|
|
I dont think he's in jail or on the moon or in the moon jail. During the fall, he wrote a weekly column about football/gambling for Espn.com's Page Two. It was called "Hey Rube". Maybe he wrote it from jail...

The bullshit rumor about HST in my drug/literary circle is that he lives on a large, wooded estate in Kentucky and he fires a shotgun at anybody who tries to talk to him.
I liked the nazi's and the moon one more.

of the adrenachrome, in fear and loathing he was reccomended to take just a teeny tiny taste, but ended up doing lots of drops, and they drining from the bottle, which could explain the fucked up reaction, as opposed to the book mentioned above where he said it was minimal.
HST, lives, lived at woody creek, which was (what i read anyway) to be a big farm/fortress type thing and is true, he has been known to shot at people there tho, and is a bit of a gun nut so...
Fear and loathing was susposed to be an exercise in Gonzo journalism, the idea was to use a tape recorder, notepad, get fucked up, make random notes, record random stuff, hand the tapes and notes to the publisher for publishing, the ultimate in gonzo journalism. HST admits that he failed on what he intended, as the book (fear and loathing) was turned into a story.
HST was arrested and jailed for a bit for sexual assault which was tweaking someones nipple ( thinking a stripper but may be wrong) she didn't want to press changes but the whole thing was blown up. Got released anyway shortly, before starting to shoot at the crowd who had gathered to celebrate his freedom.

Plague Bearer--
Adrenochrome is produced during the natural oxidation of epinephrine in the body. If you had some epinephrine, you could oxidize it to adrenochrome in a variety of ways. I think Silver Oxide has been used in the past.
However, you can also buy the stuff directly from a chemical supplier, as it is not generally considered to have recreational value. I considered getting some a while back, but I was discouraged by several people. While I love Thompson, I think he may be guilty of embellishment at times. When you consider that the adrenochrome trip in FLILV was part of a massive drug binge, it's not hard to understand why he may have had a more psychedelic experience then adrenochrome is generally regarded as being capable of producing. PhreeX said a while back that part of the difficulty is due to adrenochrome's inability to pass the blood brain barrier.
That being said, I still think we need someone here to do some experimenting with this stuff. Look for organic chemical or veterinary suppliers.

Unfortunately, this discussion will continue to pop up now and then...mainly because a lot of people want to know the effects but apparently noone has had the balls or opportunity to try it.
A few years back a I got a bit of the adrenochrome semicarbazone. But, since noone was able to offer me any real advice regarding it, I decided against ingesting any....I'll be damned if I'm going to be a guinea pig.

I could probably have a friend who works in a lab obtain some for me....if so, how would I administer it and what dosage do you think I would start at?

Originally posted by Summoner:
Erowid has some limited info, but I havent been able to find much info. Anyone ever tried this stuff?
dum de dum de dum
from erowid:Adrenochrome is an oxidation product of adrenaline (ephinephrine, norepinephrine). It is somewhat of a myth -- boosted by H.S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas -- that it is a deliberately-ingested psychoactive. Adrenochrome monosemicarbazone, a derivative of adrenochrome, is marketed in some countries for the prevention of certain types of bleeding.
sometimes limited information is all you need.

Originally posted by michael:

sometimes limited information is all you need.

I was looking for something a little longer than the paragraph erowid had to offer. Maybe a trip report or anything I havent read yet. At least this guy tells you a little of what it feels like.
"In the book 'Legal Highs' (Adam Gottlieb) I found this monograph concerning Adrenochrome Semicarbazone:
Usage: 100 mg is thoroughly dissolved in just enough alcohol, melted fat (butter), or vegetable oil and ingested. Because of its poor solubility in water these must be used to aid absorption.
Effects: Physical stimulation, feeling of well-being, slight reduction of thought processes.
Contraindications: None noted. Act as a systemic hemostatic preventing capilary bleeding during injury. Adrenochrome causes chemicaly induced schizophrenia. Its semicarbazone does not..."

i was referring to the 'somewhat of a myth...that it is a deliberately-ingested' portion of the paragraph.

i found a site that offers this stuff. i was thinking about getting it and trying it out but theres not much written on it. does anyone have an idea of how much is supposed to be taken or even just a threshold dose. if anyone wants the url to check it out post me back. peace
bobby

The Main Adrenochrome Thread

i did a search, next to zero information available, erowid included.

i ask because i watched fear and loathing today for the first time in a while, and he has the most powerful trip ever. drinks too much obviously, but still.

i know it's a real thing, but has anyone tried it? what are the effects?

yeah most of what i read didn't sound nearly as epic and psychedelic as thompson in fear and loathing's experience.

Adrenochrome and cancer

i don't feel the need to start a new thread on this but if it is interesting enough for one split my post from the original thread and make it a new one (i don't want to sound like you're my bitches mods, but just wanted to mention it;))

since my friends and i rented fear and loathing this weekend, we got a bit curious as what adrenochrome really is like, we knew it couldn't do what johnny made it look like, so one of my friends did a google search and came up with a lot of info.

after a while he stumbled upon an interesting study. it said something about schizophrenics and not getting cancer because of adrenochrome. adrenochrome or adrenolutin, one of the two, was supposed to be toxic to cancer cells. forgive me if i'm wrong here, i'm not sure if this is even true, i mean, it could be a cure for cancer if i'm/they're right (but i'm not sure of that either)..

now i can't be bothered to look i up right now and i can't remember all of what was in that study (currently... i'm on a g binge..:)). so if someone could provide me with some more info it would be highly appreciated.

thanks you guys !!

Adrenochrome is an indolic compound, and thus has the same chemical backbone as the psychedelic tryptamines, harmala alkaloids, iboga alkaloids, ergoline alkaloids (which include LSD-25, LAD-52, what is in morning glory seeds, plus many more psychedelic chemicals), and yohimbine (which is mildly psychedelic.)

Adrenochrome is most notable because for a time, it was thought to be a possible organic cause for schizophrenia. That theory has since been dismissed.

I am currently working on a FAQ on adrenochrome. It should clear up some misconceptions about this molecule. It will include excerpts from the only real trip reports I could find on it...that of Hoffer (early psychedelic pioneer) who twice took adrenochrome by IM injection in 1952 and made reports of his experiences.

The movie/book "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" does not accurately portray what this drug does (if you go by Hoffer's two experiences) and it can probably be dismissed as complete fiction.

But adrenochrome is indeed psychoactive. Whether or not it is psychedelic is open for debate. But adrenochrome did alter Hoffer's perceptions and thought process, but he was very clear that the state it induced was in no way like mescaline or LSD. But Hoffer's two trip reports are about all I can find as far as the actual psychoactive effects of this drug in humans. They are really not enough to draw conclusions from.

There is also some mention in a journal I found about patients who were given adrenalin with a pinkish discoloration (indicating the breakdown of adrenalin into adrenochrome) and subsequently experienced what was labeled as "schizophrenic-like" effects. Sadly, there were real no details given, nor any quotations from those patients about what they experienced. I'd say we will really never know what adrenochrome does to the human mind until more people try it and write about it.

Any volunteers? It can be produced by exposing pharmacuetical solutions of adrenalin to air or pure oxygen. The adrenalin solution will turn pink over time indicating some has degraded into adrenochrome. But I don't know if this will produce pure adrenochrome. It has been suggested in a good book I have on psychoactive drugs with a short chapter on adrenochrome that "pink adrenalin" (old, outdated adrenalin that has turned pinkish) may contain other breakdown-byproducts besides adrenochrome including adrenolutin (another indole) that contribute to its psychoactive effect. It's nothing I'd try.

Pure adrenochrome is out there from some commercial chemical suppliers if you know where to look, but it's ungodly expensive (don't ask me where, PM me about it, etc because I will simply ignore you.) If only I were rich.

Hopefully someday, someone will have enough interest to look into this intriguing compound and find out more about what it really does.

Last edited:
Yeah my boy the Professor just got 5 grams of adrenochrome, its like a red powder, Cant wait to test some out, a kid I know blew some of it and said didnt get much of anythign but red piss... More Info?

I`d be willing to try it, if someone could first show me that I won`t die or get anything permanent from it.

morninggloryseed said:
Adrenochrome is an indolic compound, and thus has the same chemical backbone as the psychedelic tryptamines, harmala alkaloids, iboga alkaloids, ergoline alkaloids (which include LSD-25, LAD-52, what is in morning glory seeds, plus many more psychedelic chemicals), and yohimbine (which is mildly psychedelic.)

Adrenochrome is most notable because for a time, it was thought to be a possible organic cause for schizophrenia. That theory has since been dismissed.

I am currently working on a FAQ on adrenochrome. It should clear up some misconceptions about this molecule. It will include excerpts from the only real trip reports I could find on it...that of Hoffer (early psychedelic pioneer) who twice took adrenochrome by IM injection in 1952 and made reports of his experiences.

The movie/book "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" does not accurately portray what this drug does (if you go by Osmond's two experiences) and it can probably be dismissed as complete fiction.

But adrenochrome is indeed psychoactive. Whether or not it is psychedelic is open for debate. But adrenochrome did alter Hoffer's perceptions and thought process, but he was very clear that the state it induced was in no way like mescaline or LSD. But Osmond's two trip reports are about all I can find as far as the actual psychoactive effects of this drug in humans. They are really not enough to draw conclusions from.

There is also some mention in a journal I found about patients who were given adrenalin with a pinkish discoloration (indicating the breakdown of adrenalin into adrenochrome) and subsequently experienced what was labeled as "schizophrenic-like" effects. Sadly, there were real no details given, nor any quotations from those patients about what they experienced. I'd say we will really never know what adrenochrome does to the human mind until more people try it and write about it.

Any volunteers? It can be produced by exposing pharmacuetical solutions of adrenalin to air or pure oxygen. The adrenalin solution will turn pink over time indicating some has degraded into adrenochrome. But I don't know if this will produce pure adrenochrome. It has been suggested in a good book I have on psychoactive drugs with a short chapter on adrenochrome that "pink adrenalin" (old, outdated adrenalin that has turned pinkish) may contain other breakdown-byproducts besides adrenochrome including adrenolutin (another indole) that contribute to its psychoactive effect. It's nothing I'd try.

Pure adrenochrome is out there from some commercial chemical suppliers if you know where to look, but it's ungodly expensive (don't ask me where, PM me about it, etc because I will simply ignore you.) If only I were rich.

Hopefully someday, someone will have enough interest to look into this intriguing compound and find out more about what it really does.

i knew you were making a faq out of it, hence why i asked this question. haven't you found a single bit of info on adrenochrome reducing cancer cells? it was really interesting, i can't remember most of it, but i thought maybe someone else had some info on it. so has anyone?

i don't think adrenochrome is something worth buying if you are after psychoactive effects, it is not something all too pleasant i reckon. it sounds more like a delerium instead of something psychedelic. let other (reliable) people take it and make something out of those findings. :)

Blowmonkey said:
i knew you were making a faq out of it, hence why i asked this question. haven't you found a single bit of info on adrenochrome reducing cancer cells?)

Yes, but I am focusing on its psychoactive effects.

(V)enthol. said:
Yeah my boy the Professor just got 5 grams of adrenochrome, its like a red powder, Cant wait to test some out, a kid I know blew some of it and said didnt get much of anythign but red piss... More Info?

I imagine you mean "Adrenochrome semicarbazone".

Entry in Adam Gottlieb's Legal Highs (1973):
ADRENOCHROME SEMICARBAZONE -- 3-hydroxy-1-methyl-5,6-indolinedione semicarbazone.
Material: Oxidized epinephrine (adrenaline) with semicarbazide.
Usage: 100 mg is thoroughly dissolved in just enough alcohol, melted fat (butter), or vegetable oil and ingested. Because of its poor solubility in water these must be used to aid absorption.
Effects: Physical stimulating, feeling of well-being, slight reduction of thought processes.
Contraindications: None noted.
Acts as a systemic hemostatic preventing capillary bleeding during injury. Adrenochrome causes chemically induced schizophrenia. Its semicarbazone does not.

Good luck with that FAQ.