Mental Health Social Anxiety tips

LearntYoung

Bluelighter
Hi there Bluelight,

I am thinking I have social anxiety, because I have always been great at reading emotions and seeing what people actually mean, yet I have trouble interacting.
Lately I have abused etizolam and alcohol and I think the reason for that is that it made me capable of interacting without any fears.
Now that I seem to have figured that out, I was wondering:
What can I do against it, without using any drugs or medication, because that's ruining me...
I do not really feel like going to a shrink or something like that, for I am already really busy with school, but I would like some handlebars.
Handlebars to ease the anxiety and make life easy without medication.

Hope you guys can assist me with this!

-LearntYoung

things that have worked for me personally

- stop masturbating for 30 days
- meditate for 15 minutes every day
- cardio exercise for 30 minutes, 5 days a week
- read books/ listen to audiobooks instead of watching tv shows and movies
- get outside
- significantly reduce time spent on the internet
- go for long walks in the park without listening to music
- stop listening to music when riding your bike somewhere / walking somewhere, learn to enjoy silence or the birds singing
- reduce intake of gluten/eat whole foods and lots of fruit and veg
- supplement with magnesium and fish oil
- set yourself some goals, and commit to following through with them.
- take only cold showers for a week

btw, life is not easy, if life is becoming easy, make it harder for yourself, challenge promotes character

things that have worked for me personally

- stop masturbating for 30 days
- meditate for 15 minutes every day
- cardio exercise for 30 minutes, 5 days a week
- read books/ listen to audiobooks instead of watching tv shows and movies
- get outside
- significantly reduce time spent on the internet
- go for long walks in the park without listening to music
- stop listening to music when riding your bike somewhere / walking somewhere, learn to enjoy silence or the birds singing
- take only cold showers for a week

btw, life is not easy, if life is becoming easy, make it harder for yourself, challenge promotes character

Dayum, that's a difficult list for me!
Life isn't easy at all for me by the way, so that's not applicable in my situation.
The weird thing is that I used to be a nerdy and insecure guy, then I got confident was able to easily socialize, pick up girls and what not.
Also, my outer personality became more tough and then... My outer personality stayed the same, but I was anxious.
How this happened, I don't know, but it did happen.

I shall work out more and eat healthier, try to fap less :s shower cold and meditate!

Something that will help is to just stop thinking and start acting.......Just throw yourself in a situation without fully thinking about it.... you'll start to become better socially

That is a lot easier said than done... I am always thrown in social situations where I have to improvise, but there's always doubts and what not. With alcohol those doubts are gone, I just do.
Alcohol makes me the no-brainer I'd like to be.

This is true....I've noticed recently that when I start to feel anxious I just throw myself into a conversation. It is easier said than done but the best thing is experience itself. I have noticed that it seems that if you can carry on a conversation for at least a minute or two with someone/ even if its someone random....most of the awkwardness will go away. I know that getting a job where you are constantly seeing a new person will help your social skills.

The good news is that if it is painful to be social, you are growing! Just think about how hard a lot of life's tasks are at a young age, and its always the growing that makes it beautiful. You always find out later that it was never as hard as your mind will trick you into believing it was!

I have weird social anxieties too...so I have to remind myself to keep my head up and make eye contact. Be dominant . Small talk is the worst, so when someone behind the cash register asks me "how I'm doing" or they say whatever the corp. tells them to say to customers, I'm completely honest with em. Example ...starbucks... i hate it but I love it because of the convenience yet it gets crowded and I feel so awkward . The lady behind the counter is all cheery and fowers and rainbows n shit. "How ya doooin" ... me: I fell asleep on my porch last night and I'm hungover. She loved it. It was real. Keep it real and you may find some rewarding feedback from people instead of that awkward forced interaction. Some people might not appreciate it but you know what? Fuckem

I always find it helps to remember that they're human too.. anxiety and fear is familiar to everyone, and the difficulty in interaction more common than you first realize. We may speak the same language but words have a different meaning to everyone, throw in cultural differences too, even within your own generation, and it's easy to see why it can be confusing and daunting.

The points listed by mysterie are good. The no masturbation one works really well, and exercise.

When I was younger I used to feel intimidated by adults, that they had something I didn't, knew something I had not yet learned. Now that I'm approaching thirty I realize that outward appearance means nothing. Many adults are still children inside, many are still afraid.

The only thing holding you back, is you. We project on to people so much and don't realize it. This includes the fear/anxiety. Pay attention to your thought process next time you interact. When you have a moment of doubt or anxiety, question it. Is there a real reason for feeling it in that moment.. or are you projecting past trauma or experience on to the person?

Hold eye contact. I always found this difficult. But now that I do it I notice people looking away more than myself. And strangely I feel differently when looking into different eyes.. honest to god I swear some people are 'empty', like there's nothing in there. Weird shit.

You mentioned substances. Sobriety is the best handle bar you could ask for. When you brain juices level out you'll be sharper and more zesty, and interaction will come easier.

I used to have social anxiety really bad.. now I could likely give a speech to a stadium in my undies.

neversickanymore said:
In order to work through this we need to identify and accept our morals and values. By morals I mean how do YOU need to act for YOU. By values I just mean what do YOU value. This ends up coming down to identifying and accepting the correct way for YOU to behave based of what YOU believe and finding what YOU value. The answers to these questions can be found by searching your heart for these answers and then realizing that only you know how you need to act and whats important to you. Its not what your parents said, what your religion says, what your teachers said was the correct way to behave and what was important and good. Your own morals and values can be similar or contain aspects of all these sources, but they really come from a deep place in you. You will need to identify how YOU need to act and what YOU value. Then you will need to accept these as the absolute correct way you need to behave and the values that you want and need to strive for, search out and promote in your life.

When loose of fail to develop our morals and values we end up placing the morals and values of others over our own. This causes us to place the opinions of others above our own. Because of this we experience social anxiety, shyness, feeling we are constantly being judged, awkwardness, trouble moving fluidly or conversing well with people especially strangers and people we really respect.

The reason for all this is that since we have placed what other people think above what we think is we now need their approval and acceptance to tell us we are behaving correctly and we determine if what we value has value based on if others value it or not. So the reason we are shy and worry about talking or engaging with others is that we dont know if they will approve of the way we act or who we are. We can be hesitant to tell other people about what we do or what we love as we are not sure what they will think of it.

This can make relationships very difficult because we can have a very hard time approaching people as if they would reject us, then since we determine our value of what they think we would feal that we are rejects. Also since we base our worth and determine the value of the life we are living of the opinions of others we can require and seek out constant praise and be utterly devastated by any forum or criticism. The criticism can be absolutely devastating especially if its from someone we respect or admire.

The reason strangers can be so difficult for us to deal with is we don't know if they will like or approve of us. We need them to approve of us so we can approve of ourselves.

The reason movements and interaction can be so hard and awkward and feel that all eyes are on us and every word and movement is being judged is because we are judging our every movement and word on the reaction of other people. This is why picking out something to ware to a social event can be so nerve racking, because instead of picking something we like, we try and ware something we think the people there will like.

So what you need to do is determine what is the corect way for YOU to act for YOU and accept this as the right way for YOU to act.
You also need to identify and determine what YOU value.

When we identify the correct way for us to act and act this way then we no longer need the approval of others to indicate we are behaving in the correct way. If we no longer need the approval of others what they think or say about the way we behave looses all power and just becomes what it was all along, their opinion. We are no longer shy as we dont really care what the fuck they think. When we identify and cultivate whats important to us then we no longer care what other people think or say about what we know is important to us. Their opinions no longer have any power over us. The thought of other people no liking us or not thinking what we think is cool is cool no longer causes us any anxiety.

Follow your heart it knows who you are, how you need to act, whats important to you, where you need to go. Fuck what other people think and say. Everybodys always spouting off that they know exactly whats important and how we should act... thats nonsense, they don't even know who we are, where we need to go, or how we need to get there.

I hope this helps and sheds some light on whats going on.

Last edited:
Sometimes when I get like that, I like to read sociology and paychology books. I know it sounds odd, but it has opened my eyes to why something trigger my reaction one way, and others that way.. Plus, it'll help u understand others more. It helped me see triggers in others, some of the same ones I had, and I was able to approach them in a non threatening way. I made some of my best friends that way. We are each other's shoulder when they need a cry, rally when we need cheered on and an idiot when we wanna be goofy.
It's nice cuz u will have weaknesses and strength that may be opposite to them.
Just an idea. I went to a shrink when I was younger due to bring abused and it made me feel shittier.
Started reading when I was a teen and learning, and I am a more patient, understanding and in my soul, caring person.
Good luck to you friend!!

I rationalize with why i would be anxious in the given social setting...like right there on the spot.. then i reaffirm that i don't care what anyone thinks regardless of how i conduct myself. Then i think something extreme like "ok, the worst that could happen is [whoever in the social setting] will fight me because I'm socially awkward or watever. I don't care.".. then i realize that nothing matters, reverting back to my original apathetic disposition.

The no masturbation one works really well, and exercise.

Im really curious if this actually is true,and if it is then why?

I got no clue to why avoiding masturbation would make communication/interaction with people easier but its a fact that the release masturbation gives you has a calming effect for your mind/body(masturbation or sex before sleep is the best tranquilizer).
Also,athletes like football or basketball players are sometimes known to be given orders by their coaches not to have that "release"(either masturbation or sex) before an important match in order to stay sharp and alert.

Could this be the case,that avoiding masturbation will make you more alert in conversations and general interactions as well?

I am masturbating and eating a loaf of bread as we speak, and I have a shitload of friends! Boom goes the dynamite!

I have found that not caring about what others think of you makes interacting with strangers a lot less stressful.

That took some practice over the course of many years.

Your mileage may vary.

Okay so there's some pretty good advice some common sense and then straight shenanigans. But then again everyone can solve the world's problems while their problems keep a crushing weight baring down on them.

-stop masturbating for 30 days (? shenanigans right off the bat)
- meditate for 15 minutes every day (? A-Okay advice there's to many tense stressed people)
- cardio exercise for 30 minutes, 5 days a week (? mostly good for over all health)
- read books/ listen to audiobooks instead of watching tv shows and movies(? its good to zone out to a show or movie and not think just don't use it as a reason to stay home)
- get outside (?fixing social issues means fresh air)
- significantly reduce time spent on the internet (?digital world makes a digital era)
- go for long walks in the park without listening to music(? silence is not always golden)
- take only cold showers for a week(? nope I'll keep my hot ones that relax my muscles)

I see it as like riding a bike.

One wouldn't take drugs to go bike riding (unless you are Lance Armstrong, of course :) )

Setting some goals and doing things differently, especially if it's not working out for you, would be the best advice, I think.