• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

NCAA football preseason Top 25

axl blaze

Bluelighter
now with most of us having attended our university of choice's spring game... let's talk NCAA football! my Buckeyes are sitting rather pretty - hey! at least we can win first place on the internet.

1. Ohio State Buckeyes
Raise your hand if you want to see the Buckeyes back in the BCS title game … didn't think so. But with an extraordinary number of juniors and seniors returning, Ohio State seems poised to become the first team in the 112-year history of the Big Ten to win three straight outright league titles. Even if the Buckeyes lose at USC on Sept. 13, they might end up playing in the BCS title game in Miami on Jan. 8.

2. Georgia Bulldogs
Georgia might be more explosive and talented than Ohio State, but the Bulldogs' schedule is much tougher. The Bulldogs play consecutive road games at South Carolina and Arizona State, then play at LSU and against Florida in Jacksonville. Throw in back-to-back home games against Alabama and Tennessee and a road game at Auburn, and it might be the toughest schedule in the country. If Georgia can navigate its way through the schedule with only one loss (or maybe two), Ohio State could be waiting for the Bulldogs in Miami.

3. Oklahoma Sooners
It's all about what's up front for the Sooners. Oklahoma has the country's top offensive line, led by Duke Robinson and Phil Loadholt, and one of the better defensive lines in the Big 12. With coach Bob Stoops switching to a no-huddle offense, the Sooners could be even more explosive than last season, when they led Division I-A with 80 touchdowns. Oklahoma doesn't have to play Missouri and gets Kansas and Texas Tech at home.

4. USC Trojans
Even after losing 10 players to the NFL draft, the Trojans still have future draft picks stacked up like cordwood. Quarterback Mark Sanchez might be better than the departed John David Booty, and Arkansas transfer Damian Williams will become a big-play threat at wide receiver. Trojans coaches believe Allen Bradford has a chance to become the next great USC tailback. The Trojans will be even better on defense than they were last season.

5. Florida Gators
Last year's 9-4 record was pretty humbling for the Gators, especially after they won the BCS title in coach Urban Meyer's second season in 2006. Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Tim Tebow won't be the only Gator running the football in 2008. USC transfer Emmanuel Moody and speedy freshman Chris Rainey will help alleviate some of the pressure on Tebow. Eight starters are back from what was a very young defense last season, and end Carlos Dunlap looks like a premier pass-rusher. The Gators play only one really tough road game: at Tennessee on Sept. 20.

6. Missouri Tigers
With quarterback Chase Daniel and speedy kick returner/receiver Jeremy Maclin back, the Tigers should be explosive again on offense. New starters at left tackle and center must play well. Missouri also returns 10 starters from a very underrated defense, but linebacker is a concern after injuries and defections depleted the unit during the spring. Missouri doesn't play Oklahoma, Texas A&M or Texas Tech.

7. Clemson Tigers
The Tigers appear to be the best team in the ACC, but how many times have we heard that during coach Tommy Bowden's tenure? The Tigers haven't won an ACC title since 1991, but this might be their best chance in a long, long time. Quarterback Cullen Harper, tailbacks James Davis and C.J. Spiller, and receiver Aaron Kelly lead what could be a very good offense -- if four new starters play well on the line. Replacing three starting linebackers also is a big concern. Clemson plays four of its first five games at home, but the opener against Alabama in the Georgia Dome will decide how the season goes.

8. Texas Longhorns
Coach Mack Brown continues to haul in top-five recruiting classes each year, but bringing in defensive coordinator Will Muschamp from Auburn might have been his biggest addition in 2008. Muschamp wants the Longhorns to be meaner and more aggressive this season after they allowed 371.2 yards per game in 2007. On offense, Texas still hasn't settled on a starting tailback to replace Jamaal Charles, who led the Big 12 in rushing before bolting for the NFL draft.

9. West Virginia Mountaineers
The Mountaineers appear to be the team to beat in the Big East, especially with Rutgers and South Florida each having big holes to fill. Quarterback Pat White and tailback Noel Devine give the Mountaineers the potential to have an explosive offense, and new coach Bill Stewart is very excited about his team's fast linebackers.

10. Auburn Tigers
LSU has dismissed quarterback Ryan Perrilloux, which might open the door for Auburn in the SEC West. New offensive coordinator Tony Franklin still hasn't settled on a starting quarterback for his spread offense, but the Tigers will still be able to run the football. The Tigers will play Tennessee, LSU and Georgia at Jordan-Hare Stadium, and Florida rotates off the SEC schedule.

11. Texas Tech Red Raiders
The Red Raiders bring back record-setting quarterback Graham Harrell and receiver Michael Crabtree, but coach Mike Leach is most excited about his team's improved defense. Texas Tech is deeper and bigger up front on defense and the addition of a few key juco transfers makes it a big sleeper in the Big 12.

12. LSU Tigers
Even without Perrilloux, the Tigers are still good enough on the offensive line and in the backfield to contend for an SEC title. Redshirt freshman Jarrett Lee doesn't have to make a lot of big plays at quarterback; he just can't make too many mistakes. LSU's defense is still going to be very good, even without All-America tackle Glenn Dorsey and coordinator Bo Pelini, who left for Nebraska.

13. Arizona State Sun Devils
The Sun Devils aren't standing pat after last year's surprising 10-3 record. Coach Dennis Erickson has installed more four- and five-receiver sets on offense and a lot more blitzes on defense. Erickson is counting on a few juco transfers to help his offensive line, which struggled to protect quarterback Rudy Carpenter and gave up a school-record 55 sacks last season.

14. BYU Cougars
The Cougars look like the best bet from a non-BCS conference to crash the big boys' party this coming season. BYU returns 10 starters from an offense that averaged 442.8 yards and 30.1 points per game. Quarterback Max Hall is surrounded by a myriad of playmakers and should be better in his second full season under center. The defense must replace three of four starting linebackers, but the Cougars will easily be the class of the Mountain West Conference (and might even finish unbeaten).

15. Tennessee Volunteers
Coach Phillip Fulmer overhauled much of his coaching staff and brought in Richmond's Dave Clawson to install a spread offense. New quarterback Jonathan Crompton looked good running the attack this spring, but he underwent elbow surgery shortly after practices ended. Safeties Eric Berry and Demetrice Morley are star players in the secondary, but replacing linebacker Jerod Mayo won't be easy. The Volunteers might be third-best in the SEC East behind Georgia and Florida.

16. Illinois Fighting Illini
The Illini are going to really miss tailback Rashard Mendenhall, who left school after his junior season to enter the NFL draft. Quarterback Juice Williams will have to become more of a passing threat and receiver Arrelious Benn will have to become more involved on offense. Coach Ron Zook has signed three straight nationally ranked recruiting classes, so the Illini's talent continues to get better and better.

17. Kansas Jayhawks
The Jayhawks lost several of the key pieces -- tailback Brandon McAnderson, receiver Marcus Henry, offensive tackle Anthony Collins and cornerback Aqib Talib -- from last year's remarkable 12-1 season. But quarterback Todd Reesing returns to lead what should be another good offense, and new defensive coordinator Clint Bowen inherits nine returning starters. The schedule is much tougher than a year ago, including road games at South Florida and Oklahoma and home games against Texas and Texas Tech.

18. Wisconsin Badgers
Neither Allan Evridge nor Dustin Sherer played well enough to win the quarterback job, so coach Bret Bielema will wait until preseason camp to name a starter. Regardless of who starts, the Badgers will rely heavily on a quartet of running backs, led by Zach Brown and P.J. Hill. A defense that has a lot to prove under new coordinator Dave Doeren really needs to have top defensive end Matt Shaughnessy, who broke his right leg during spring practice.

19. Pittsburgh Panthers
Bill Stull, who injured his thumb in the 2007 opener and missed the rest of the season, moved ahead in the battle for the starting quarterback job. Stull came back with a stronger arm and better mobility. If the Panthers can establish a passing game to balance LeSean McCoy's running, the offense could be pretty explosive. Linebacker Scott McKillop, the top tackler in Division I-A in 2007, leads a defense budding with confidence after upsetting West Virginia 13-9 in last season's finale.

20. Virginia Tech Hokies
The Hokies were able to rely heavily on Bud Foster's defense last year and still win the ACC and play in the Orange Bowl. But without defensive end Chris Ellis, linebackers Xavier Adibi and Vince Hall, and cornerback Brandon Flowers, it won't be as easy for Virginia Tech this season. Coach Frank Beamer still hasn't decided how to use quarterbacks Sean Glennon and Tyrod Taylor, and top tailback Branden Ore was kicked off the team.

21. Fresno State Bulldogs
The Bulldogs bring back 10 starters on offense, including quarterback Tom Brandstater and tailback Ryan Mathews. Coach Pat Hill will have to replace 2007 WAC Defensive Player of the Year Marcus Riley. The Bulldogs play a typically tough nonconference schedule with games against Rutgers, Wisconsin and UCLA, so there won't be much room for error.

22. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Can Jim Grobe do it again? Wake Forest again seems as strong as any team in the ACC, where Florida State and Miami continue rebuilding. The Demon Deacons return 14 starters, including quarterback Riley Skinner and tailback Josh Adams. Replacing All-America center Steve Justice and wide receiver Kenneth Moore are top priorities. Wake Forest gets ACC foes Boston College and Clemson at home.

23. Oregon Ducks
The Ducks won't fall off the map after losing tailback Jonathan Stewart and quarterback Dennis Dixon. Sun Bowl hero Justin Roper and three other quarterbacks are battling for the starting job, and juco transfer LeGarrette Blount eased the Ducks' concerns about replacing Stewart. The running game might be really good again if Jeremiah Johnson recovers from a knee injury. The schedule might be pretty difficult with road games at Purdue, USC, Arizona State, California and Oregon State.

24. Michigan State Spartans
The Spartans were very close to accomplishing really big things in coach Mark Dantonio's first season, losing five games by six points or less. If Michigan State can rebuild both of its lines and replace top receivers Devin Thomas and Kellen Davis, they might win those close games in 2008. The Spartans open the season at California and play Michigan and Penn State on the road, but Notre Dame, Iowa, Ohio State and Wisconsin each go to East Lansing, Mich.

25. Penn State Nittany Lions
Penn State suffered a big blow during spring practice when All-America candidate Sean Lee tore the ACL in his right knee, but 16 other starters are expected back. Quarterback Daryll Clark should be more mobile than departed starter Anthony Morelli and there's a boatload of talented receivers coming back. Road games at Ohio State and Wisconsin are tough tests.

link = http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3388100

Wow, first time I can remember MSU being on there without Michigan being on there. No surprise though; with all the shakeup going on at U of M, it could be a rough year for the Wolverines. New coach, no quarterback to speak of, few returning upperclassmen.

huntmich said:
...with all the shakeup going on at U of M, it could be a rough year for the Wolverines. New coach, no quarterback to speak of, few returning upperclassmen.

2 of those 3 factors should actually be listed as reasons that michigan is on the rise ;)

good point cravn. actually, I was a little perplexed as to why Michigan was not mentioned at all. they have a start-up head coach who should instigate a far better offense (despite him being an asshole in every sense of the word). they ended last season on a high note defeating UF. sure they have a lot of young blood but at least you will not have to go through another year of Chad Henne.

Michigan State has been getting better and better though. I am impressed with their new coach, Dantoni, mostly because I got to see what he could do watching him at Ohio State.

Rodriguez is having difficulties implementing his spread, according to espn, so maybe that's it.

OSU's schedule is soft as hell, as per usual. UGA's is as hard as it always is, I don't hear many fans upset about being number 2. We aren't accustomed to the pressure of a number 1 ranking. We'll be on pins and nedles all season, frankly.

I'm surprised LSU is as high as they are, given periloux's dismissal.

Pander Bear said:
Rodriguez is having difficulties implementing his spread, according to espn, so maybe that's it.

OSU's schedule is soft as hell, as per usual. UGA's is as hard as it always is, I don't hear many fans upset about being number 2. We aren't accustomed to the pressure of a number 1 ranking. We'll be on pins and nedles all season, frankly.

I'm surprised LSU is as high as they are, given periloux's dismissal.

weak as hell? OSU is playing 5 ranked opponents, you should count 6 because Michigan will be ranked when we play them, and one team in the top 5. this may be above-average or average in terms of schedule toughness... but weak as hell? I think you have to explain yourself more, and by explaining yourself I mean expressing opinions as to why OSU's schedule is weak and not just play the SEC card per usual.

Georgia is surely not used to being ranked second-best. hell, are you sure they are even used to being ranked in the Top 5?

^^
now is as good a time as any ;)

August 30 - Youngstown State
September 6 - Ohio University
September 13 - USC
September 20 - Troy University
September 27 - Minnesota
October 4 - Wisconsin
October 11 - Purdue
October 18- Michigan State
October 25 - Penn State
November 8 - Northwestern
November 15 - Illinois
November 22 - Michigan

where exactly are the teams that present much of a problem-- the teams that are going to be in the top 15 at year's end? USC on the road, for sure. But a rebuilding Michigan at home, or Penn at home? :-\ Living in Boston... you need to work on getting some perspective on this. You don't have to drink the kool-ade any more. The big 10 is populated by some pretty luke-warm teams. Illinois might have something to say. I don't know if I'm a believer yet.

The dawgs have to play the same god-awful schedule they do every year. Teams that actually won their bowl games (with the exception of Tennessee, which if you're familiar with SEC football, is our retarded half-brother who isnt in the family pictures).

Bottom line, cutting through all the good old-fashioned hate we love so much... if OSU makes the NCS this year, it'll be for the same reason they made it last year-- a considerably easier road to the BCS. They'll get their asses turned out once again by a team that has to work for their wins. ;)

As much as I don't care (not hate, just don't care) for OSU, I would have no qualms about them losing the NC to UGA this year. :)

I'll agree the Big10+1 is still a 3-5th place conference, and there really shouldn't be much trouble for OSU to make the NC (win OR lose the USC game early on). But I don't want to hear them crying a river about 'dont blame us our schedule sucks' - they've got quality players and would have a good showing this year in any conference, IMO. They may or may not be a 'top team' but their schedule will help them be mentioned in the NC again (and there will be a collective groan from the rest of the country ;) ).

UGA....probably does have a harder road, and a damn good team this year. But despite my SEC homerism, I'll have to point out to pander-bear how UF also lost it's bowl game....to a big 10+1 team.. :\, and you'll still have Vandy on the schedule (say, why don't you post UGA's along with OSU's?). *IF* anyone can survive the SEC east it would be UGA, and *IF* they do so, they will have earned NC consideration, not backed into it like so many teams have done in recent years (again, a forlorn look in my Gators direction).

How's the PAC-10 looking this year? I don't expect the BigEast to be as strong as it has been (meaning I expect a drop from 3 upper deck teams down to 1-2), and I have absolutely no grasp of the Big12. ACC can have summer league basketball ;)

Aug. 30, 2008 Georgia So. TBA
Sept. 6, 2008 Central Michigan TBA
Sept. 13, 2008 at South Carolina (CBS) TBA
Sept. 20, 2008 at Arizona State (ABC) 8:00 pm ET
Sept. 27, 2008 Alabama (ESPN) TBA
Oct. 11, 2008 Tennessee (CBS) TBA
Oct. 18, 2008 Vanderbilt TBA
Oct. 25, 2008 at LSU (CBS) TBA
Nov. 1, 2008 Florida (CBS) TBA
Nov. 8, 2008 at Kentucky TBA
Nov. 15, 2008 at Auburn (CBS) TBA
Nov. 29, 2008 Georgia Tech (CBS)

at florida, at auburn, at lsu,

as for vandy... id rather play youngstown ;)

college football conferences come and go in terms of schedule strength and weakness. as a college football fan overall, who has a deep passion for the game and all of the teams and conferences, I would be a whack job to admit that the Big 10 has not been as good as it has been throughout my life (I remember every year when the last Big 10 game, OSU VS Michigan would determine who would go to the National Championship every year).

however, I have to agree with TLB that OSU has SO many starters returning that it would be insane to rule them out of the NC. they would be tough in any conference, correct. all the Buckeyes can do this year is win every game they are suppossed to (which is every game, maybe not USC) by a lot of points. the author of this article said that they can lose against USC and still be in the NC title hunt... but I respectfully disagree. the voters are going to be looking for EVERY REASON to get OSU out of the NC hunt (despite the fact that OSU brings the most people to any place which equals most revenue).

anyways, I didn't just want to talk about OSU through this thread because I wanted to avoid being a Homer Simpson.

does anybody have any predictions for the National Title game, this early? I have to say my top four candidates are USC, UGA, OU, and OSU - not to pick the easy road because they are in the Top 5, but I would be hard pressed to see any other school on the big stage at this point in the ass-early preseason.

and does anybody think that a playoff scenario is coming? I skimmed over an article where some big shot from FSU says with certainty that a playoff system is coming due to more revenue.

because we all know, like mainstream rappers, that the NCAA colleges first care about cash flow.

Yo, bear...you and I both know that @Florida is not @Florida ;) 50-50 is the stadium, and the alcohol. But damn, I forgot ya'll have to play at Ariz State - don't know how much of a challenge the team will be, but at least you get a few warm ups before the Nat'l Spotlight jitters have a chance to set in. Would be cool to see UGA@Aub end the season and become a rematch for the SEC Championship, though...and it would be possible :)

*IF* the Aub offense gets ramped up under the new coordinator, I could see them making the SEC championship, and being a darkhorse for the NC. But for now I'd lean towards the faves of OSU vs UGA. USC and OU might get there by a lack of competition (who knows, maybe it's another Pac-10 unknown that will trip up USC this time), and despite my homerism, it is concievable for UF to back into the NC again - if they can get past UGA (really, their only other strong challenge should be from
Aug. 30 Hawaii
Sept. 06 Miami (Fla.)
Sept. 20 @ Tennessee
Sept. 27 Mississippi
Oct. 04 @ Arkansas
Oct. 11 LSU
Oct. 25 Kentucky
Nov. 01 @ Georgia
Nov. 08 @ Vanderbilt
Nov. 15 South Carolina
Nov. 22 Citadel
Nov. 29 @ Florida State
Um....Citadel? It's nice name recognition to see Hawaii and Miami on the schedule, but they should be on par with our usual season openers (yawn). Okay, now I see strength of schedule holding us back, but that might be what we need for this year (really, we don't have much for seniors, so I'll start now with the 'wait until next year' chant ;) ). This should be OSU's year based on their upper classmen, UF will need be fortunate to get thru that schedule unscathed, but should be in very good shape for next year (Tebow will not go pro early, I'm not sure he'll make the pro's at all...probably go on a missionary journey after graduating :| ).

But yeah, we could back into the NC, just beat UGA and whomever in the SEC Championship.

Who else might back into it? Mehbeh Clemson? Mehbeh Mizzou? Really, I only see a few teams that could get there and not start out favored to win their conference. If anyone unseats OSU as the Big10+1 conference champ, I don't think they'd have the gravitas to get into the NC :\

Oh, and just for the record, I hope ND gets one less win this year.

TheLoveBandit said:
Oh, and just for the record, I hope ND gets one less win this year.

finally something we can all agree on!

also, I think I will be treating myself to L. A. for the OSU VS USC game on September 13th... because it falls on my birthday.

^^
NOT if their loss is going to be a predictable failure to bring it to USC. I think everybody but LD can get with me on that. ;)

TLB:

50-50, huh ;) gas is like 4.00 bucks a gallon here. I predict a crowd replete with jean shorts, missing teeth, and gators hats this Halloween. ;)

Buckeyes will be in the N.C again. So much returning talent on both sides it's scary. Plus we got Terrelle.

The SEC is the elite conference, without a doubt. But I always think it's funny when SEC fans say things like the Big 10 is so weak, etc.

Michigan, who everyone made fun of a ton for losing to Appy State, beat the defending NC Florida, on Florida'a home turf.

If the SEC is so great, then why the hell does a team who supposidly has no business even being on the same field as an SEC beat them down at home? Appy state obviously could be competitive in the SEC and the Big 10. Michigan would beat most teams in the SEC, beating Florida proves my point. OSU was SUPPOSED to lose to LSU, and they had a bad roughing the kicker call that might have cost them the game.
Or why does Arkansas, who had a good year last year, get mowed down two years straight by a USC team who also lost to Stanford in the same season?

The SEC is great, but The Big 10 and every other conference is hot on their tail.
Things change, and the SEC's reign won't last forever.

Big 10 bashing is nothing more than some folks new favorite past time. All BCS conferences have great years and not so great years, no exceptions, SEC has just been a tiny bit better the last couple.

And I don't care I'm saying it, go Buckeyes.

Damn I wish it was September!

smotpoker said:
Buckeyes will be in the N.C again. So much returning talent on both sides it's scary. Plus we got Terrelle.

.... Michigan would beat most teams in the SEC, beating Florida proves my point. OSU was SUPPOSED to lose to LSU, and they had a bad roughing the kicker call that might have cost them the game.
Or why does Arkansas, who had a good year last year, get mowed down two years straight by a USC team who also lost to Stanford in the same season?

Opinions, I would think, are meant to be shared. Thanks for yours, but I'll have to correct a misconception on your part. MI beating FL proves that they'd beat most teams in the SEC? I think not. Where did FL finish in it's conference? Sixth...in the middle - so yeah, you *might* beat half the conference. NC from the year before? If we wish to pull on 'previous performance' how about our cellar dweller of Vandy taking MI to the ropes in the Big House the year before? Sorry, I just can't accept anyone who builds a case for MI based on losing at home to ASU and then pinning it on a mediocre FL team in the bowl game.

OSU was supposed to lose to LSU? Lemme see something from last year's thread:

smotpoker said:
Geaux O-H-I-O.
Louisiana is going to get crushed again, this time by HURRICANE BUCKEYES BABY!!!!

smotpoker said:
LSU's gonna be in for a rude awakining on January 7th when the boys from Columbus take over the SuperDome.

Seems not everyone agreed with that view ;).

I will say, however, that I missed you, potsmoker. And I'm glad we'll have another fun year of ribbing. Btw, I'm moving from OHIO to PA next month and will become a bit of a Penn State fan in order to survive. I don't have much in the way of expectations of them (quite frankly, I think they suck and JoePa should have left years ago), but if they manage to beat OSU or MICH...rest assured I'll jump on that bandwagon for the week <3

Love Bandit, OSU was supposed to lose. I think most OSU fans were hoping they'd win, just like me.

The point spread said differently.

But wait a second, you live in Ohio and you hate OSU? What's wrong wit you boy? Not calling you a name directly, but I have a couple friends who go to Ohio U, and they have some kind of inferiority complex. They get angry when they tell outta towners they go to OU and people reply "Oh, the Buckeyes". I know people in Ohio who simply hate OSU cause they are OSU. You seem much more intelligent than that, so why do you hate/dislike them? Not trying to start a big fued just curious:) I've always been raised to root for your hometown teams, so it just seems odd to me when someone hates the team they grew up around. But to each his own

I always figured you were from Florida...

Ok maybe Michigan wouldn't beat most of the SEC teams, but half isn't bad. And you have to admit OSU would be one of the top dogs in any conference...

Middle of the pack or not, Florida WAS the defending N.C and did have the Heisman winner. SO would you agree with me that a team with that resume should have blown out a team that loses to a Div 2 opponent?

My point is that while the SEC the best conference right now, college football is a crazy sport. And for so many people to just assume that the SEC is the king and the Big 10 is dirt is unfair. UM beating Florida proves anything can happen.

Minnesota could beat LSU on a weird enough day and Vanderbilt could beat tOSU on any weird day.

Last edited: