PDA

View Full Version : Smoking weed with a head cold and cough?

Pages : [1] 2

Dead_Head
14-11-2007, 08:52
Of course i am aware of the fact that any type of smoke can and will irritate the lungs, but i was wondering how many of you guys smoke when you are ill or sick? Does it help you, do you get as high as your normally would, will you get even more ill from the smoke?

Thanks.

panic in paradise
14-11-2007, 09:14
I always do, and it always depends, some times smoking makes me feel worse, sometimes it makes me feel a bit better, but I always wind up pissed I didnt save what I had 'till I was over it.

Dead_Head
14-11-2007, 09:21
Ha, that's exactly what i was thinking. I use pot as my sleep medicine, that would probably be the only reason i would smoke or if i was offered a free smoke by a buddy or something.

recidivism
14-11-2007, 12:58
i never really liked smoking with a sickness of any kind, it alway irritated my thoat and made me feel way shittier

LuGoJ
14-11-2007, 14:01
I can't smoke anything when I am sick, I am prone to bronchitis so I can't risk it.

elfdancer
14-11-2007, 14:16
Eh. I figure it's probably bad for me when I have a sore throat. I try to lighten up on it.

... on the other hand, it usually makes my throat feel better. Sometimes I'll take just a couple easy hits for that reason.

Student
15-11-2007, 23:00
Strange replies, i love to smoke when i get sick. I live in north america where the winters are fuckin freezing! So naturally i and everyone around gets a cold or two ever winter. And the first thing i do when i feel it is smoke. Congested? Smoke a fat bong rip and clear that shit out! Feel tired but cant sleep? Smoke an indica and enjoy some nice dreams. achy body and head? Smoke a fatty! Just feeling like shit? Tear up that bong! etc. I mean, it is not going to cure your sickness but it will relieve some symptoms just as well, if not better than otc medication. Surely if you dont agree with anything else you have to admit when you wake up in the morning and cant breath a huge rip will clear that shit out temporarily. Definitely keep in mind that heat and tar are not good for your lungs at any time, so try to stick to bongs and vapes if possible and smoke only what you need to relieve symptoms or you will be a lot more sick for a lot longer.

Shit i forgot to mention about that dry cough thing, if you have serious fits of unproductive coughing while sick do not smoke much at all, if any weed. You will be coughing no matter what but when you have been coughing for a long time it starts to become painful and so coughing harder for a while because of that sweet ganja really hurts and the smoke/tar/heat irritates the lungs/throat more. I have chronic fits of unproductive cough every time i get a cold! It sucks, i cough forever, i can hardly stop long enough to eat and sleep at night is not an option for me or anyone living with me while im sick. Luckily opiates are the one and only thing that can do anything about this, so i get some purple drank from my doctor (codeine cough syrup) and before you know it im leanin like im in a mud puddle and i can finally stop coughing. Any opiate/opioid will be effective for this though, but man its hard to smoke opium when you cannot stop coughing. And once you have the cough under controll your cool to smoke ganj as needed.

peace and good health

PsyGhost
16-11-2007, 00:37
I find it helps with the symptoms very well and puts you in a nice mood!

PriestTheyCalledHim
16-11-2007, 00:41
When I used to smoke I wouldn't if I was sick with a cold/flu since I'd feel worse and cough more. ;-\

When I smoked daily I had allergies and that wasn't a problem.

rulerofthecosmos
16-11-2007, 00:56
i used to smoke all the time. sick or not. but if you are sick and want to consume marijuana, why not try using a method that isnt so harsh on your throat and lungs??maybe use a vaporiser or hot knives(spots)!!!!!
if you use knives that are slightly cooler than red hot it gives a similar effect to using a vaporiser e.g it just heats the outside crystalls etc of the bud but doesnt burn all the rest,resulting in less actual smoke!!!!

amor fati
16-11-2007, 02:00
when I'm congested it only makes me way more congested.

Pshaaw
16-11-2007, 02:03
I used to have a boyfriend that said smoking pot stimulates ur T cells.. and that it helps you get well..
never read up on it.. sometimes it sounded like bullshit.. just so he could smoke my weed.. lol

serotoninstorm
16-11-2007, 02:20
Cook with the weed you've got?
That way you get all the benefits of the cure-all cannabis, without the throat/lung irritation!

Student
16-11-2007, 04:48
^true you wouldn't get the throat/lung irritation, but you would also loose the benefit of cannabis being an expectorant of sorts

soundthecymbals
16-11-2007, 05:21
I used to have a boyfriend that said smoking pot stimulates ur T cells.. and that it helps you get well..
never read up on it.. sometimes it sounded like bullshit.. just so he could smoke my weed.. lol
...your "T cells?"

nealcassady
16-11-2007, 05:55
whenever i'm sick i never feel like eating, and surely weed is right there to help me get over that.. and out of bed in a better mood

JamieTO
16-11-2007, 06:03
Of course its no good for your lungs.. but pot does help the healing process.. anyways.. if you smoke pot.. why the fuck are you asking this question? just smoke the pot that you want... your cold or whatever will go away anyway...

ra3g
04-02-2009, 00:48
I got sick last night and was freaking out cause I hate being sick. I woke up ths morning fuuuucked up chills, sweats, phlegm, stuffy nose, head ache, sore throat and zero appetite. I kept taking robutussion but that stuff doesnt work compared to nyquil but thats all i had.. I was looking here to see if smoking weed was bad for when your sick but i took a hit out of a bong and i feel soo much better. My headache is gone, im hungry and the feeling of being cold and hot are gone. Weed really does help you FEEL better but doesnt get you better. Get rest and get lots of fluids... Oh yeah a bong hoot! :D

ColinGibs
16-02-2009, 16:28
I too just had a really shitty cold with a fever and all come upon me and i smoked an entire quarter of headies to my face, via a nice bong.

Im not sure if I regret it or not because throughout the last 36 hours, the it varied from helping to making it worse. I actually coughed so bad i hacked up some phlegm or something and then gagged and threw up in the sink.

I don't think it cures it but shit it made me feel so much better. And today I woke up and im 80% better than I felt yesterday! I think i tricked my mind into thinking it wasn't sick, or could fight it off better, like a placebo of health, and it made my immune system kick its ass.

and made it much more enjoyable to watch 16 episodes of south park

double ewe
16-02-2009, 18:49
There are a few situations where I won't, but in general I find that smoking really makes an illness much more bearable.

If I have a bad chest cold, I try to vaporize, and avoid smoking before my workout (I run/workout regardless of illness), as otherwise it really raises the chances of bronchitis.

However, in all other instances, I really have no problem with smoking. Being high is a nice way to spend a lazy day laying around the house recuperating, and I've found there's something about it that almost makes me forget that I'm sick. It's like there's this general crappy, down feeling I get no matter what kind of illness I have . . it's not even really a symptom, just a sense that my body isn't quite right. Pot seems to almost universally make this feeling subside so that I feel more normal.

Blazin_Ridim
16-02-2009, 19:52
i smoke all the time even if im sick and it doesn't both me 1 bit. i cough more if anything but i styll get sjut as high and makes me notice my sickness less.

me0307
17-02-2009, 02:54
i actualy did this last friday night.

had (still kinda have...) the flu and vaporized. it actually helped my coughing a bit - which surprised me. idk, made me feel pretty good for a couple of hours and helped me go to sleep

ikkyu
17-02-2009, 03:26
I did this last Friday night as well. At the time I'd had a slight head cold and a nagging cough for the past couple of days. The night went fine but the next day my throat was extremely dry and sore and I had developed a fever to boot. I'll know better not to do this next time.

zukobro
08-02-2011, 17:56
A veteran smoker recently told me to try smoking through a bong with hot water in it instead of cold, and it supposedly is way better on the throat. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm about to in three minutes here, cause my head/throat is a freakin mess...and neck

jamesmartin
09-02-2011, 18:43
SMOKING weed isn't the greatest thing for ur immune system ;)

5aday
09-02-2011, 23:26
I have currently have a head cold. I've been smoking even though I have a cold, because most of the time it makes me feel better, and lessens my painful sore throat.

shishigami
10-02-2011, 00:05
I find that smoking weed with any sort of head discomfort leads to intense and painful headaches, plus sensations of skydiving or vertigo with eyes closed.

arthunter888
17-10-2011, 14:47
I think weed may make me feel better for a short period after smoking, but this comes at the expense of feeling even worse than originally after the come-down. And that's not even the worst of it. The worst is waking up and tasting a mixture of weed smoke, blood, and mucous throughout my throat that's dry as a desert, and sore as shit.

It should be pretty obvious that smoking ANYTHING while sick is a bad idea, simply because the smoke contains toxins that are directly contacting the areas affected by the 'bug' (throat, lungs, sinuses), which just adds to the inflammation and the overall 'battle'. However, it is my belief that even if 'smoke' were avoided by eating the weed or vaping it, it's still not a good idea: There is evidence that Cannabinoids inherently suppress the immune system, regardless of how they are consumed.

laCster
17-10-2011, 16:01
DXM is your friend!

psychomimetic
17-10-2011, 20:40
Had a sore throat and cough a few days ago. I smoked weed and it seemed to make my throat feel a bit better.

I always smoke weed though, rain hail sleet or snow, I'm like the post office and the ganja is a package of happiness that needs to get delivered to my brain.

Never seems to make me feel worse, although I'm sure it's not healthy to be hitting the herb with a sore throat.

attempt4
17-10-2011, 20:45
Not only does the feeling of being stoned add a whole new "light-hearted" edge to the sickness where it feels like it's a lot more handleable, but consuming Cannabis orally helps my body get over the illness due to it's myriad of health benefits. It is a herb, after all.

Smoking obviously ain't the best idea, but you should simmer a dose in some rapeseed oil and consume that in a yoghurt or however you wish.

Axed
17-10-2011, 20:47
I enjoy smoking while sick, but that's probably just because I'm pretty much a daily smoker. However, all the hits were much harsher, just ripping up my throat. But it was worth it, because the high was soothing to all the aches and pains I felt.

ErgicMergic
20-10-2011, 22:10
It took me a few trial/errors before I realized that every time I smoked weed with a simple cold, it turned into bronchitis. Even the hot air from vaporizers irritate the throat.

Eat edibles. :)

Weemanio
21-10-2011, 00:16
When i toke when sick i never seem to get as high as i would without a cold!

papasomni
21-10-2011, 00:40
nothing is the same when you're sick. The high, the taste of food, nothing......

Chainer
21-10-2011, 02:17
im smoking and sick now and it totally slows my throat from healing. oh well, i'd rather be high.

laCster
23-10-2011, 02:05
how many times do i have to say this lmao....take 30-60 mgs DXM and smoke some weed. you will feel amazing.

grafittibob
24-10-2011, 05:48
I still smoke weed while I'm sick.
Nothing like a good toke with some warm tea.
It helps with the head congestion and body ache.

Although it does make me cough more when I smoke it obviously.
Also be careful of dry mouth, it will make your throat hurt even worse.

Chainer
24-10-2011, 20:18
how many times do i have to say this lmao....take 30-60 mgs DXM and smoke some weed. you will feel amazing.

man im drinking like 5 theraflus a day lol, im getting plenty of dextro and diph, it's not like DXM actually cures being sick as hell. i mean it helps but smoking is slowing down my congestion and irritation from healing by a whollleee lot.

laCster
24-10-2011, 20:51
theraflul hahaha. i know how it is man, i've had this cough for nearly 3 months now. never seems to go away.. even though DXM does not act as a local anesthetic like ketamine, dextromethorphan raises the coughing threshold in the CNS

McStoni
25-10-2011, 09:28
I like smoking while I'm sick. It helps me to sleep and makes me feel a little bit better if I don't have any medicine. If you have a sore throat and the weed is too harsh I suggest using a bong with iced water. Its soothing. :) I hate when I'm sick and I can't hold my hit in for very long without coughing it all out. That's the only thing that peeves me about smoking with a cold.

This is sort of off topic but you know what I've noticed about sick stoners? Most people never refuse the pipe even when someone says that they're sick so if one person in your group is sick, a few weeks later, every one is.

iskalla
28-10-2011, 21:19
i found that when i have a cold, and i continue smoking like i normally do (up to three joints a day), the time i stay sick is prolonged. sometimeit takes nearly a month for me to get better. consuming weed weakens your immune system, at least thats what the director of the institute of immunology at our uni said. as far as symptoms go, sometimes i do feel it can clear up my nose and throat, but this effect is of short duration. i recently changed my smoking habits and apart from smoking a lot less in general i dont smoke when i have a cold. my recovery period shortened dramatically.

weekend addiction
28-10-2011, 22:22
This is sort of off topic but you know what I've noticed about sick stoners? Most people never refuse the pipe even when someone says that they're sick so if one person in your group is sick, a few weeks later, every one is.

Hell yah I've noticed it. People will be sick as fuck but for some reason its considered rude to leave them out. If your sick bring your own weed and bowl or don't smoke.

And to the OP I always smoke when sick. I would rather get high and take a nap than sit there and be miserable. If I feel I need to cough then I buy some OC and that'll clear me up good.

Chainer
28-10-2011, 23:34
Just thought I'd let people know I'm finally not sick - I'd guess (and have zero science, but pure experience) that smoking at a slightly slower pace did greatly slow my congestion healing. It had been about 4 days of not being sick, but still being extremely congested. I finally woke up today after taking a full break and I woke up and coughed up a whole lotta PND and congestion... promptly smoked a blunt without coughing at all, so the break obviously helped ;P Just thought I'd provide the update since I've been bitching about it earlier, and advise taking a small break after the peak of your being sick to avoid something awful like extended congestion. Common sense prevails again.

As to leaving people out when they are sick on blunts: why do you think I get sick so often? If any of my housemates is sick, they are in on my blunt unless they are kind enough to strongly suggest I don't let them.

PhencyclidineDream
29-10-2011, 00:03
make some cookies!
or weed tea, yeah!

badfish45
30-10-2011, 19:14
I always smoke when I'm sick. When I first come down, it KILLS me, because cannabis lowers your immune system. But then the next day I usually feel a lot better. I guess its all a matter of the sickness and opinion. If you feel like getting high, go ahead.

CombatWombat
30-10-2011, 20:28
Use a vape. You don't get any carbon dioxide/nasty ash particles this way. It's incredibly smooth, like a sauna of marijuana smoke, turns marijuana into the best cold medicine ever

badfish45
02-11-2011, 04:08
You wouldn't get resick, but you could get somebody else sick.

OTGee
02-11-2011, 04:45
I have heard that thc opens your synuses or something like that (could just be a rumour) but personally I wouldn't smoke large amounts constantly while unwell as it does lower your immune system a lot but it is a great painkiller and will probably put you in a generally happier mood :)

DaDankyDank
08-11-2011, 01:05
Right now I have a sore throat from coughing so much, and a cold.
I have been smoking everyday even though I'm sick, it usually irritates my throat more and I cough a lot, but I usually feel better once the episode is over.
I Also feel bad for the people I've smoked with in the past few days, I hope I didn't get them sick lol, always somthing to keep in mind ;).
I find it helps me sleep better at night when I'm sick too. A bowl before bed with nyquil allows me to sleep good all night and not wake up till morning.
I personally think it's worth it, but everyone's different.