• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Smoking weed with a head cold and cough?

SMOKING weed isn't the greatest thing for ur immune system ;)

When you're ill already no it's not - it doesn't significantly lower it though... it's not called the sacred herb for no reason - it's good for a lot of things.

BUT you're right, it lowers your immune system, so if you have a cold, you might as well stop smoking it for a few days - it would be great for your tolerance, and help you get over the cold a LOT quicker!

I personally don't smoke when I have a cold anymore, but I used to - it used to be a long time for my colds to disappear. Silliness, really.

If weed was that bad for your immune system I don't think HIV and AIDs patients i.e. people who are sick because their immune systems are failing, would get away with smoking it so much. As we all know, weed is one of the most useful drugs these people can use since it destroys the nausea associated with antiretroviral drugs edit: and stimulates their faltering appetites. Weed does have some affect on the immune system but it's just not enough to affect the recovery from a cold virus. edit: I'd actually go so far as to say cannabis consumed under normal circumstances has no significant adverse effect on the immune system whatsoever.

If you want a great way to deal with a cold, get Vicks First Defense. If used with 36 hours of the very first signs of a head cold it can prevent you from getting it completely, or if not, reduce the severity of the symptoms and the duration. You have to be quick though. Leave it too late and it doesn't work.

I've got a bunged up nose at the moment and it's hell getting up in the morning.

Last edited:
Well ive not had a cold since ive been a stoner,
so ill let you's know lol,

I vaporize my weed. I personally have found squeezing half a lemon into a lemsip drink , drinking that morning and evening helps a hell of a lot though. Really kicks that colds arse lol

when i had swine flu, i smoked straigbht threw it and it helped ease the symptoms, i dont get much sick now anymore, only sick i get is from puking caused by drugs other then marijuana

sounds like i am getting a cold coming on, funny that, its honestly been since april 2011 that ive had one,
used to get like 2 a month before i used any drugs.

That swine flu, arghh i got that when it was about moreso, Knocked me for two.
So cold, and shivery ive never been that cold in my life.

This really sucks. I just took a 2 week break from weed for a drug test, and planned on toking again after the piss test. Well, the very day of the piss test, I got a sinus cold for the first time in about a year.

Now I have to wait even longer, because I'm afraid smoking will delay healing, and make the sinus pressure worse. Fuck!!

I'm so glad my nose cold only lasted about 3 days! I'm pretty sure it's because I managed to use this new antiviral nose spray that deactivates the cold virus at the top of the nose which is pretty similar to the Vicks First Defence I mentioned.

I'm definitely going to start using it continuously even when I don't have any signs of a cold like it suggests you can, so that hopefully it'll prevent me from getting a head cold in the first place.

I'm so glad my nose cold only lasted about 3 days! I'm pretty sure it's because I managed to use this new antiviral nose spray that deactivates the cold virus at the top of the nose which is pretty similar to the Vicks First Defence I mentioned.

I'm definitely going to start using it continuously even when I don't have any signs of a cold like it suggests you can, so that hopefully it'll prevent me from getting a head cold in the first place.

A spray that works against viruses?? You've got to tell us what that shit is my man...

Depending on what ills me, I will smoke. If I have a hang-over or am feeling kinda cruddy, then I'll smoke away! However, if I have a sore throat(I have done it in the past), I usually avoid the herbage.

For the most part, though, cannabis usually cures what ails me.

PS - Eating it fucks me up. Mmmm, marijuana stir-fry....

A spray that works against viruses?? You've got to tell us what that shit is my man...

Here's an article:

New breakthrough in fighting the common cold is found

18/04/2007 -
In the lead up to the cold and flu season, medical experts are welcoming the arrival in Australia of the first treatment clinically proven to reduce the chance of developing a full-blown cold, and cut the severity and shorten the duration of cold symptoms .
click here

Innovative Vicks First Defence - a drug-free nasal spray - is being hailed as one of the most exciting advancements in the cold industry for years.

Until now, cold treatments have fallen into two categories; products reputed to boost the immune system such as Vitamin C and Echinacea, or products that relieve the symptoms of the infection, such as decongestants.

The introduction of Vicks First Defence means there is now a cold intervention product that is scientifically proven to attack colds at their source before they have a chance to develop1.

Vicks First Defence attacks the cold by physical rather than pharmacological means, supplementing the body's natural ability to disarm and remove the cold virus before it takes a strong hold in the nose and throat. When sprayed into the back of the nasal passage, the viscous gel coats the virus so it can't dock to the body's cells, disarms it by creating an environment in which it cannot flourish and then flushes out the viruses, aided by mucus secretions.

Leading UK cold expert Professor Ron Eccles, spokesperson for the Common Cold Centre of Cardiff University, said that the new treatment was an exciting advancement in the cold industry.

"A new type of treatment that attacks respiratory viruses before they take hold, and is backed by sound clinical data, is significant to both patients and physicians," Professor Eccles of the Common Cold Centre said. "Clinical trials show that when used at the earliest signs of a cold the treatment should stop you getting a cold, or reduce its severity."

With upper respiratory tract infection remaining the second most common ailment managed in general practice in Australia , Professor Eccles said Vicks First Defence could also help to reduce the number of patients presenting to their GP with cold related complaints.

"This new treatment option also fits with a key long term strategy of health professionals around the world to combat the unnecessary use of antibiotics for treating coughs, colds and flu-like symptoms."

The cold is the most common illness suffered by humans. By the age of 70, most of us will have suffered an average of 200 colds and spent three years of our lives coughing and sneezing.

Professor Eccles3 said he expected Vicks First Defence to reduce the discomfort and inconvenience caused to millions of cold sufferers each year.

"Many millions of days are lost in every country as a result of loss from work, loss from school, and low productivity," Professor Eccles3 said. "I would expect this product to have a considerable impact on the treatment of the common cold because it can be used at the very first signs of a cold."

Vicks First Defence was successfully launched in the United Kingdom in 2005. A survey of patients who had tried the treatment there reported that, after using it, 88 per cent claimed they did not catch a cold or their cold was less severe than usual .

The average incubation period for a common cold is usually around two days. Research shows this incubation period offers an opportunity to inhibit the virus before it takes hold. As a result, Vicks First Defence is most effective when used at the early signs of a cold - a tickly sore throat and sneezing are the most common.

For optimum results, Vicks First Defence should continue to be used for two days after the symptoms have subsided. It can also be taken when there is an increased risk of catching a cold, for example on public transport, in the office or when a partner or family member already has a cold.

Notes to Editor:

* Professor Eccles is the Spokesman for, and Director of, the Common Cold Centre of Cardiff University. The Centre was established in 1998 and is the world's only centre dedicated to researching and testing new medicines for treatment of the symptoms of flu and the common cold. Further information about the Common Cold Centre can be accessed at http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/biosi/associates/cold/index.html
* Vicks First Defence, $16.99, 15ml, available over the counter at pharmacies or in supermarkets
* Registered as a medical device; can be used by adults, and children aged 12 years and older.

For further information, please contact:

Jen Stevenson
02 9956 8000 or0422 805 006

Jean Perkins
02 9956 8000 or0438 886 954

1 If taken promptly at the first signs of symptoms; P&G Clinical study 2000149, Dr. J. Gwaltney, University of Virginia, 2001, and P&G Clinical study 2002158, U.S.
2 Britt H et al 2007. General practice activity in Australia 2005-06. General practice series no. 19. AIHW cat. no. GEP 19. Canberra: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.
3 Professor Ron Eccles is the spokesperson of the Common Cold Centre of Cardiff University
4 P&G UK Usage and Attitude Study. March 2006

SOURCE: Procter & Gamble

Last edited:
All I'll say about this is once I smoked one cone too many with the flu.
It caused me to cough extremely violently and painfully and ended with me actually throwing up mucus all over the floor, that I had swallowed while sleeping.

Based on this experience I recommend against.

In my personal experience weed didn't really help for colds. Sure it cleared out my sinuses but im trying to keep a low tolerance and too poor to smoke pure grass haha so I normally smoke bongs with a bit of tobacco in them. A cold can make you feel a lot better and increase the level stone a little bit id even say but once your down it is a lot worse and cold symptomsstay while high just you dont care about them as much really. Might effect some people differenetly

For me Marijuana has always helped while having a Cold/Flu, especially when having a temperature or unable to sleep. Its always given me a sense of relief, even if it's only for a couple hours.

Though one thing to keep in mind is that Marijuana does suppress the immune system which can effect your bodies ability to fight off the Cold/Flu.

THC does inhibit immune system cytokines to an extent but I've found hash oil to make an amazing decongestant, and on top of that, it sometimes makes me forget I'm sick.

Personally,
I do smoke when I am sick with a cold/ irritated sinus etc.. For me, it really helps me sleep and usually helps relieve other symptoms. The only downside (which is pretty obvious and has been said already) is smoke irritates the lungs so if you have a bad cough it is going to be uncomfortable smoking and will probably make the cough last longer I know from personal experience that if you are a cigarette smoker when you get a cold it lasts longer, IMHO. Feel better!!

Thats my wonder too...
When I have a cold -I dont think that the cannabis works as well.
Do you?

And does anyone know the "medical" reason to that?
Spoke to some people who notitced the same...

Sorry for the languange and spelling, Im swedish ;)