• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

opiate users: why don't you grow poppies and make opium?

burn out

Bluelighter
i always read the opiate users on this board talk about one of the biggest drawbacks of their habit is the expense.

well, considering the fact that the opium poppy doesn't look all that different from the california poppy or any other legal variety, and the police really only go out looking for marijuana and not poppies, why not just grow poppies either at home or outdoors?

it would seem quite easy to go to some secluded areas and plant a bunch of poppies. even in your own garden, you could probably get away with it. my neighbor has been growing opium poppies (as well as many other varieties) for years and no one has ever bothered him about it. he doesn't use them to get high, he just grows them because they are beautiful.

Because you'd need a large area to get all the poppies you'd need to support your habit until next crop, I'm willing to bet a lot of bluelighters also don't own their own property, thus inhibiting them from growing. On top of all that, maybe a small poppy garden wouldn't go unnoticed, but the size you'd need to support a good habit wouldn't be very..inconspicuous

you need a bunch of plants, picking it would be difficult (each seed), you have to grow the plant first, and i think if you had your own garden the yeild would be tiny and not worth the effort at all. THe time you would put into a project like that wouldnt be worth it ... it would be easier to work and pay for it.

Time constraints, space constraints, privacy constraints, legal concerns, preference of Opioids over Opiates. There's quite a few reasons someone might not want to grow their own.

GM is spot on.

As for the extraction. The morphine part is quite easy and it involves chemicals that are readily available. The heroin synthesis is a different matter. It's not hard to do, but some of the needed chemicals aren't easy to get.

For some reason I just can't get the fuckers to grow, at least not past seedlings.

But yeah, there's no way anyone with a substantial habit could support it by growing their own crop.

thanks for the answers. for everyone talking abou chemical synthesis, i want to remind you that i said make "opium". not extract morphine and concert it to diacetylmorphine.

how practical would it be for someone to grow enough poppies to make opium/morphine if they weren't supporting a habit? Like, for a once in a while good time kind of thing? Would it still be too much effort to grow a small amount and process it? Cause I've considered using a place I have to make a 6x6 foot or so plot for poppies for smokable opium or something. You know, just for shits and giggles during the right growing season (where I live I guess there's two growing seasons for poppies).

GenericMind said:
Time constraints, space constraints, privacy constraints, legal concerns, preference of Opioids over Opiates. There's quite a few reasons someone might not want to grow their own.

Exactly! This holds true for me. Also, lack of chemistry knowledge and lab equipment is also a factor.

sonic said:
Exactly! This holds true for me. Also, lack of chemistry knowledge and lab equipment is also a factor.

making opium isn't rocket science. i think raw opium can be taken straight from the pods.

anyone have a good recipe for making opium they want to share?

I think sonic was referring to the know-how and lab equipment to process the Opium into something he'd enjoy more more.

i know but im saying isnt smoking opium still enjoyable so that it would still be worth having even if you couldn't process it into heroin?

Most recreational drugs ( except psychedelics ) are all about a quick fix to something inside you.

If you have all this energy available to grow poppies, take care of them, harvest, get the opium...take time to program schedules on when to plant to keep them coming for supporting a habit...

you wouldn't be doing drugs in the first place.

Yes, I was referring to making a semi-synthetic drug. I know making opium isn't rocket science, especially if you wish to take it orally!

burn out said:
it would seem quite easy to go to some secluded areas and plant a bunch of poppies. even in your own garden, you could probably get away with it. my neighbor has been growing opium poppies (as well as many other varieties) for years and no one has ever bothered him about it. he doesn't use them to get high, he just grows them because they are beautiful.

The yield of opium per hectare (10,000 square meters or 2.47 acres = kenaz) is a very difficult question, depending on many factors: the nature of the soil, the climate and annual rainfall, the state of the seed, etc. That is why statistics show a variation of 1 to 6 between one year and another (with the same soil and "race") and of 1 to 15 between different countries. The yield in Turkey averages about 10 kilogrammes of opium per hectare. The yield of Indian opium seems to be much higher, but it must be noted that in Turkey only one incision is usually made in each capsule, whereas in India incisions are repeated until all the latex has exuded, with the result that the quantitative yield is much higher.

Let's say someone were able to dedicate a 10m x 10m plot to poppies. That is .01 hectare, or 1 percent of a hectare. Now let's say that person were able to get the same yield as an experienced poppy farmer in Turkey -- a generous estimate, but work with me here. Let's also say that you have no neighbors who will notice that you've suddenly dedicated a large part of your yard to poppy farming, and that you have 100 square meters of land which is suitable for poppy growing.

If 10,000 square meters will get you 10,000 grams of opium (10kg), then with 100 square meters, exceptional luck, and a whole lot of tedious pod-slicing work you could expect a yield of approximately 100g of opium. That would make for some nice smoking, but it's an awful lot of effort and resources -- far more than most of us would be willing to expend.

so all those dried poppy pods being sold on ebay and stuff, where are they grown?

burn out said:
so all those dried poppy pods being sold on ebay and stuff, where are they grown?

"In the United States, opium is listed as a Schedule II controlled substance by the Drug Enforcement Administration. In addition, "Opium poppy and poppy straw" are also prohibited.[3] However, this is not typically enforced for poppies grown or sold for ornamental or food purposes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_poppy#Legality

so where are they grown and by whom?

the people selling them on ebay know most people that are buying them are using them as drugs, so who are these online drug dealers? i know this is kind of an odd question.