• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

opiate users: why don't you grow poppies and make opium?

I have opium seeds a couple feet from me right now and I'm planting them late fall in the garden I have already dug out.

They are not as easy you think to grow. I got some to grow from known good pods and I never even used them because they were so small. Biggest one was the size of a quarter, but they were pretty flowers. haha. It took me months of time and lots of watering, shelter, and work to get them to grow. Granted I had no idea what the correct conditions were, but you have to thin out the plants. Not give them too much or too little water and make sure it's not too cold or too hot.

Kenaz said:
The yield of opium per hectare (10,000 square meters or 2.47 acres = kenaz) is a very difficult question, depending on many factors: the nature of the soil, the climate and annual rainfall, the state of the seed, etc. That is why statistics show a variation of 1 to 6 between one year and another (with the same soil and "race") and of 1 to 15 between different countries. The yield in Turkey averages about 10 kilogrammes of opium per hectare. The yield of Indian opium seems to be much higher, but it must be noted that in Turkey only one incision is usually made in each capsule, whereas in India incisions are repeated until all the latex has exuded, with the result that the quantitative yield is much higher.

Let's say someone were able to dedicate a 10m x 10m plot to poppies. That is .01 hectare, or 1 percent of a hectare. Now let's say that person were able to get the same yield as an experienced poppy farmer in Turkey -- a generous estimate, but work with me here. Let's also say that you have no neighbors who will notice that you've suddenly dedicated a large part of your yard to poppy farming, and that you have 100 square meters of land which is suitable for poppy growing.

If 10,000 square meters will get you 10,000 grams of opium (10kg), then with 100 square meters, exceptional luck, and a whole lot of tedious pod-slicing work you could expect a yield of approximately 100g of opium. That would make for some nice smoking, but it's an awful lot of effort and resources -- far more than most of us would be willing to expend.

How much morphine would that yield? What if converted to diamorphine?

wait a second, talk about bringing back the dead... guess I don't need to tell my story twice.

Last edited:
mikemikemike said:
How much morphine would that yield? What if converted to diamorphine?
I've heard that regular opium, not cooked opium, is typically around 10-15% morphine. That's on the high side as well.

If you're working with a small garden, you should keep in mind that you'll have pods left over that you could make tea out of. Regardless, unless you're doing at least an acre, it's not worth the hassle imo. Especially if you can get 100mg of heroin for $10 in a minute or so. :|

^ agreed.

though, again, theoretically, if one were to have access to public land, lots of poppy seeds and a little spare time, you could have a huge area growing in the middle of nowhere.

much easier than growing the same acreage in cannabis, and less time consuming.

once you get them going (in my experience) you'll have them coming back year after year.

Even if you were joking, you cannot plan illegal activities on this board, nor solicit others help

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I smell LEOs???

edit: just kidding, the LEOs would spell acres correctly ;)

edit: or would they?

Because the amount of poppies you'd need to grow to sustain a large habit would require like 10 acres and a lot of hard labor. Scraping poppies for opium is a bitch

Believe me, if I had the time and resources to do so, it would be done.

The pods that are sold on ebay are dried, right? Meaning that any opium that is/was in the pod is no longer viable, correct? I imagine the pod you get would be hard and dry, so anything inside would no longer drip out as it would with live poppy pods. Aslo, someone else asked, but didn't get an answer yet. How much opium would one have to smoke to get a decent high? Say this person used .3-.5 grams of H IV to get good and high. What would the equivalent be in smoking opium? Or for the other guy, the equivalent of 120 mgs of oxy?

burn out said:
i always read the opiate users on this board talk about one of the biggest drawbacks of their habit is the expense.

well, considering the fact that the opium poppy doesn't look all that different from the california poppy or any other legal variety, and the police really only go out looking for marijuana and not poppies, why not just grow poppies either at home or outdoors?

it would seem quite easy to go to some secluded areas and plant a bunch of poppies. even in your own garden, you could probably get away with it. my neighbor has been growing opium poppies (as well as many other varieties) for years and no one has ever bothered him about it. he doesn't use them to get high, he just grows them because they are beautiful.

growing poppies ain't easy. i've tried several times and they grow into tiny little sprouts, dozens or hundreds of them, then they invariably die. i can't even get them to the 'lettuce' stage. apparently they require a lot of constant care, a very controlled environment (humidity, temperature, light) and a good dose of luck too. i've heard that they're virtually impossible to grow in Texas, where i live, and i can attest to that because i've tried.

Kenaz said:
If you ask most of those eBay dealers questions about morphine content, suitability of their product for making tea, etc. they'll either ignore you, refuse to sell to you, or send a "go fuck yourself, Mister Law Enforcement Entrapment Guy" response. So far as they know, you're buying for decoration use only -- and is there any reason they should think otherwise?

Funny, because some pods on eBay are described as being sold with only the first 5 inches of the stem attached. Incidentally, the first 5 inches of the stem usually contain about 1/3 the alkaloids as the pod, with the rest of the stem being practically worthless. Also, a lot of the time I see pods on eBay described as 'broken or in pieces', and I've actually received pods that were 'broken or in pieces', but were not described that way. Not exactly primo pods for flower arrangements, but these eBay vendors know what most of their customers want and that as long as they know they're getting their content, it doesn't make a fuck if they're 'broken or in pieces'.

bulldog8b said:
The pods that are sold on ebay are dried, right? Meaning that any opium that is/was in the pod is no longer viable, correct? I imagine the pod you get would be hard and dry, so anything inside would no longer drip out as it would with live poppy pods. Aslo, someone else asked, but didn't get an answer yet. How much opium would one have to smoke to get a decent high? Say this person used .3-.5 grams of H IV to get good and high. What would the equivalent be in smoking opium? Or for the other guy, the equivalent of 120 mgs of oxy?

Yes, the pods sold on eBay are dried, but that doesn't mean the opium isn't viable... if by that you mean potent. I don't know if it would be possible to actually extract and process it as you would the latex from a fresh pod though. Is that what you meant by viable?

malfunkshun said:
Yes, the pods sold on eBay are dried, but that doesn't mean the opium isn't viable... if by that you mean potent. I don't know if it would be possible to actually extract and process it as you would the latex from a fresh pod though. Is that what you meant by viable?

I'm pretty sure by viable he was referring to being able to extract the opium latex from the pods.

Which, of course, isn't going to happen with dried pods. The opium latex is within the pods, but it's dried within the walls of the pod itself when the pod is dried. The best way to make use of the opium within a dried pod is to make tea.

I've tried growing opium poppies several times, and in all honesty, it'd be just too much of a hassle to grow the amount needed to get a decent sized yield of opium. You'd be surprised as to how little opium latex the pods can yield.

burn out, to answer your question, dried poppy pods can come from a number of sources. Some are domestically grown, while others are imported, it's somewhat variable, really.

Does anyone know the average amount of opium extracted from a poppy head?

I'm interested in trying this out, don't have an opiate habit or tolerance and would only want to partake occasionally so a small garden might work out for me.

i was planning on growing california poppies, weed, mushies, dmt plants, and lsa plants once i have my own place...

If you are a complete opiate virgin even one large fresh pod eaten should get you high, the amount of opium you can milk from a single pod is very small and depends on growing conditions, the plant itself, size, time of cutting, and bleeding technique.