• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Hallucinogenic drug in the clinic

Ximot

Bluelighter
The use of LSD (d-lysergic acid diethylamide) in psychotherapy is to be studied for the first time in 35 years.

A trial to determine whether patients with anxiety relating to advanced-stage illnesses can be safely given LSD-assisted psychotherapy and whether it improves their anxiety symptoms has been approved by a Swiss ethics committee.

The trial will be a randomised, active placebo controlled double-blind dose-response, Phase II pilot study with 12 subjects, conducted in Switzerland by Peter Gasser, psychiatrist, psychotherapist and president of the Swiss Medical Association for Psycholytic Therapy.

LSD to polish up its trippy 1970s reputation

The Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (Maps) in the US is sponsoring the study as part of its goal for LSD to be available for prescription use by trained and licensed psychiatrists and psychotherapists in regulated clinics. The organisation is donating at least $50 000 of the estimated $150 000 cost and plans to raise the remainder.

Gasser hopes to start the trial by the end of the year and anticipates it will last about two years. Before he can begin, approval is also needed from SwissMedic, the Swiss drug regulation authority. 'We have had informal conversations with officials within SwissMedic,' said Rick Doblin, president of Maps, 'and believe that SwissMedic will approve a study that has already obtained approval from a Swiss ethics committee.' He expects to get approval before the end of the summer.

The trial will restart research that was stopped by regulatory agencies around the world in the early 1970s, mainly because of political concerns and in response to large-scale use and abuse of LSD at the time.

LSD is classified as a psychedelic drug or hallucinogen. It produces sometimes intense changes in perception, cognition and emotion that last for up to 12 hours. Previous clinical research and anecdotal reports suggest it could be used to treat psychiatric conditions that emerge after a life-threatening illness is diagnosed. Reports cite changes in perceptions of the self and the world, including ego dissolution, feelings of transcendence or transformation, and decreased distress that may help people grappling with physical deterioration and impending death. While LSD can produce both negative and positive emotions, the researchers hypothesise that the combination of LSD within a therapeutic setting will reduce anxiety afterwards.

Karen Harries-Rees

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hallucinogenic drug in the clinic
16 July 2007

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2007/July/16070702.asp

MOD EDIT : MOVED TO FRONT PAGE

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Leary did work with prisoners using psilocin with some good results. Isn't LSD a bit long-lived? I would have chosen psilocin, but what do I know (nothing).

^^^ I'm not sure about what is cheapest, LSD or pscilocybin, but I think in the end it would really be which costs less to manufacture.

haribo1 said:
I know Leary did work with prisoners using psilocin with some good results. Isn't LSD a bit long-lived? I would have chosen psilocin, but what do I know (nothing).

Leary fudged the results by screwing with the recidivism rate. He compared the two year (approximately) recidivism rate with the lifetime recidivism rate to come up with the results he wanted.

But either way, this is a great study to be had. I know psychedelics have helped me immensely, and I am excited to see what they can do on a large scale with proper therapists. I just hope that they defy conventional psychotherapy for this study and give the patients a setting much more conducive to tripping than a cramped therapists office or hospital.

Edvard Munch said:
^^^ I'm not sure about what is cheapest, LSD or pscilocybin, but I think in the end it would really be which costs less to manufacture.
no way in hell. There's only 12 test subjects, the costs of the actual psychedelic chosen is so small in the scope of this trial as to be completely insignificant.

This is very good news, but I kinda wish they'd choose a different drug to LSD, perhaps ayahuasca....

bingalpaws said:
no way in hell. There's only 12 test subjects, the costs of the actual psychedelic chosen is so small in the scope of this trial as to be completely insignificant.

Actually the companies licensed to sell schedule 1 drugs to researchers charge many times the street price, a single dose can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars.

I hope all goes well with the legal processing, and eventual testing. It's going to be a great read when it's all over.

> The trial will be a randomised, active placebo controlled double-blind dose-response,

I know it's the scientific method and all... But WTFH is the point with a placebo group when the drug you're working with is LSD?!?!?

I've taken fake acid before. I believed (at first) that it was real acid. I WANTED it to be real acid. I expected and hoped for it to be real acid. But when you're not tripping, it's pretty damn obvious that it's NOT acid.

Anyone who's not a complete dolt is going to realize, about an hour into the study, wether they're part of the test group or control group. So doesn't that kind of defeat the point of the placebo in the first place?

cya,
john

They're being given an active placebo like a stimulant or something, so that they'll definitely have effects of some sort with the substance that isn't LSD.

For instance in the psilocybin mystical experience experiment, the subjects were given either psilocybin mushrooms or methylphenidate.

sigma aldrich.

and I think this is great news. and why nto sue LSD? its a great analytical tool, and caries a safety profile liek no other. not to mentio it is teh prototypical psychedelic in almost everyones eyes.

I agree that this is great news. I believe the work of Stanislav Grof should be enough to convince anyone that this drug has potential, not just for people with a life-threatening illness.

SvnLyrBrto said:
I know it's the scientific method and all... But WTFH is the point with a placebo group when the drug you're working with is LSD?!?!?
LSD can produce a large range of effects including no effect at all. This was reported by Grof anyway. I believe it depends largely on the mental health of the subject.

Say this is successful and they get the results that they want. Would pharmaceuticals begin to produce this drug? I know it would be under great security and all, but any idea of the form it might come in if/when pharmaceutical companies begin to create it for patients?