• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Ever Been In Prison?

anon1980

Greenlighter
I've got to back to court next month - over some stupid stuff I got involved in - not drugs related- and am looking at maybe 3-5 years. I was all hyper about it but I'm getting my head around it now.

Just wondering if people on here have been and how bad it was or not. Getting different stuff from different people but most is probably bullshit. What are the best things to do to get ready for it.

Things that are stressing me are about my girl and will she stick with me, staying clean and not getting into any hassle. I'm 26 and have been in trouble before but not in prison.

Looking for any advice.

Well... I've never been to prison, but I know a couple people that have been down, so here it goes.....

-the races do not associate with each other. If you're white, you only talk with white people. (fucked up, but true)
-when your new, everyone will be trying to hustle you. don't trade anything with anyone, no matter how sweet the deal sounds. no exceptions to this rule.
-if anyone talks shit and pushes you around, you have to stand up for yourself. even if you get your ass kicked, you will be respected. (this one is a cliche, but its true)

anyone else want to add anything?

do a search (im totally not trying to be a dick) there was a really good thread about prisons and stuff in SO (i think it was, not positive though). there are a decent amount of blers whove been in (out of respect i wont say who, ill leave it up to them to say).

and actually, it was in the lounge i think and it was about a television program dealing with the Aryan Brotherhood, but it digressed into a basic FAQ about jail and prison.

leave this thread open though, im sure many other people will add insight.

Ive been incarcerated for a week on two occasions. Mind you im a 5'7" skinny little white kid from long island. It really wasn't too bad. Everyone, suprisngly was very kind, offering me food and such, making sure i wasnt having any problems. As far as not talking to people of other races, I, in my very limited penitentary experience have seen no evidence of that. I was in a medium sec. facility, and I'm sure things are different in max, but i talked with people of all races and religions. People mostly mind their own business. People where I was just wanted to do their time and be done with it. I never saw any serious altercation.

The food is TERRIBLE and is not nearly sufficient. If you do go in, i suggest books, and LOTS of them.

I hope all goes well for you. Have you spoken to your legal counsel? Do you have legal counsel? I'm assuming you do, but if you don't , get some IMMEDIATELY, even if its just a public defender.

If you dont mind me asking, what are your chages? Just because you are 'facing' 3-5 does not at all mean you will serve jailtime. There are a myriad of factors involved here including the judge, your record, your lawyer, and the nature of the crime. Good luck man.

^^ jail is different from prison though. I've been to county jail a couple of times, and judging from what some old heads have told me, prison and jail are two different worlds. yeah its true, everyone in county just wants to do their time and get out, but the penetentiary is different.

I've heard some horror stories. This one dude told me that they use kool aid powder to make red lipstick for prison bitches, and they wash and bleach the orange shirts over and over again to give it a sort of pink color! The last time I was in jail, it was for a month, and some of the older guys kept on insisting that I better stop fucking up, and they said they were only trying to "school me" by telling me those horror stories. I think it worked too.

The only advice I would add is smuggle something in that you can trade with. Cellphones are rife so if you can get someone to send in those numbers that top them up, then you have a salable item. US prisons suck, UK less so, Dutch... a doddle...

Scandinavian prisons for the win!

I've been in the back of a police car - does that count? :D

Dutch, Scandinavian... both much nicer places to exist than US places... or UK places (Wandsworth, Brixton and so on)

there was a good thread about this somewhere else....

ive been to LA county jail. as far as people, no one really fucked with me and im a skinny white guy. the worse people in there were the guards...

do not look anyone directly in the eye unless its a friendly convo

do not stare at people

if someone steps to you no matter how bad the situation is fight to the death if necessary, death before dishonor , and if you back down from someone you will be a punk the whole time your there

if someone has a conflict with you handle immediatley

do not give up anything thats yours or let anyone hustle you

do not fear anything or back down from anyone, this is your one life to live

my cousin has been in and out for the past 15 years, hes now doing 25 he told me that it doesnt matter who you are or what size you are if someone steps to you or hustles you or is plotting on you, you have to take care of it the very first second possible

i have only been in county very briefly and yes thats a joke compared to prison, (camden county so i know most county cant be bad)

my friends brother just got 4 life sentences for his third strike stabbing, (attempted murder), most people dont realize life is only 25 years unless you get life without parole etc etc , so hes up against 50-100, you should be fine if you get 3-5 youll be out in a year and a half or two

As someone whos served over 2 years consecutively in a federal institution I can tell you now that its impossible for you to learn all the rules before you go in. Each region of the country has different rules, espically regareding what words are acceptable ie: goof, rat, screw,racist comment,boss, skinner,diddler,rape hound, piece of shit these words will get you killed. Try and find out early from an old timer whatever weird rules there might be, in my case whistleing was banned? In respect to your girl I'm going to tell you right now. Althought I acknowlege I know nothing about the strength of your relationship.It almost never works out, and the only ones that do are the guys who don't ask don't tell. Most girls will cheat on you, sad fact. And nothing is worse then when the boys have to listen to someone fight with there girl on the phone on the range. Cause it makes everyone else sick in the head, resent you, and make you a target. You don't always have to stand up for your self. You gotta know when to take it dry. Now if your doing a life bit thats a different storey. But if someone tries to fuck around who you think doesn't have the Jam fuck him up. I made it through with all my teeth, no stab wounds, white guy with no friends in there . Keep to your self, don't but in line, don't reach over someone's food in line, ask to sit at a seat if it your first day. And don't ask to many questions. NEVER RAT theres no fate worse then that. otherwise you'll be tortured relentlessly everyday to the point where you segregate yourself permently. If you get throught the first 6 months you'll be fine. Don't get in debt! Don't lend anything! If, you don't smoke and don't do drugs you won't be worth anybodys time anyways. Good luck bro, be smart.

kittenlittle said:
As someone whos served over 2 years consecutively in a federal institution I can tell you now that its impossible for you to learn all the rules before you go in. Each region of the country has different rules, espically regareding what words are acceptable ie: goof, rat, screw,racist comment,boss, skinner,diddler,rape hound, piece of shit these words will get you killed. Try and find out early from an old timer whatever weird rules there might be, in my case whistleing was banned? In respect to your girl I'm going to tell you right now. Althought I acknowlege I know nothing about the strength of your relationship.It almost never works out, and the only ones that do are the guys who don't ask don't tell. Most girls will cheat on you, sad fact. And nothing is worse then when the boys have to listen to someone fight with there girl on the phone on the range. Cause it makes everyone else sick in the head, resent you, and make you a target. You don't always have to stand up for your self. You gotta know when to take it dry. Now if your doing a life bit thats a different storey. But if someone tries to fuck around who you think doesn't have the Jam fuck him up. I made it through with all my teeth, no stab wounds, white guy with no friends in there . Keep to your self, don't but in line, don't reach over someone's food in line, ask to sit at a seat if it your first day. And don't ask to many questions. NEVER RAT theres no fate worse then that. otherwise you'll be tortured relentlessly everyday to the point where you segregate yourself permently. If you get throught the first 6 months you'll be fine. Don't get in debt! Don't lend anything! If, you don't smoke and don't do drugs you won't be worth anybodys time anyways. Good luck bro, be smart.

Prison sounds like an unfun place from what you say...

kittenlittle's description sounds the most like what ive heard before.

Side point. Biggest misconception is that rape is common place, its not. There are too many willing participants. Leads to hilarious drama at times.

kittenlittle said:
Side point. Biggest misconception is that rape is common place, its not. There are too many willing participants. Leads to hilarious drama at times.

From what I understand, it really depends what prison you go to. The segregation policy at a prison really makes a huge difference, in just how far they keep violent prisoners away from non-violent prisoners. It also depends on how closely the administration watches the guards. The guards really are worse than the inmates if their powers go completely unchecked.

subopm420 said:
dude are you an ex bler reincarnate?

jw i dont care

No I've been coming on here for a year but I seldom post.

3 said:
From what I understand, it really depends what prison you go to. The segregation policy at a prison really makes a huge difference, in just how far they keep violent prisoners away from non-violent prisoners. It also depends on how closely the administration watches the guards. The guards really are worse than the inmates if their powers go completely unchecked.

Segregation is mostly for people who are afraid for their lives, or someone who's recently commited a viloent act or is considered a "threat to the institution". Where I was they could segregate you for up to 120 Days without reason as a "precautionary" measure. From A Minimum to Maximimum offenders with convictions for murder, rape or even fraud live together. White collar criminals usually get rushed to a Minimum Jail but even there they will have to live with murders or rapist's because thats that process they try to implement for reintegration. Maximum security jails do have a higher incidence for violence but it is in no way exclusive to them.

I'm not saying Rape doesn't happen, just that the likely hood of it happening is very slim. It's usually one rape-o going after another rape-o. Solid guys don't have to worry so much because skinner's fear reprisal on a daily basis. Homosexuality is so common place in there, there is a term for it "institutionally adjusted"

As for the adminstraion watching the guards thats a joke. They have a 1-800 to call where you leave a message if you've been done wrong. Which is a 100% guarentee thats they screws are going to abuse there powers ie: plant dope or a shank on you, assault you, charge you with baseless charges, put you in segragation, prevent you from getting medicine you need (methadone)or worse tell the meansest mother fucker in there that you rated him out.

At the start you fear the inmates but after about 9 months I learned the rules got along fine with the inmates. It was the screws constant abuse of power that really frustrated me, and made my behaviour worse. I had 13 different parole officers in 26 months, each time they would switch before a upcoming parole hearing then say they didn't know me well enough to support me. In the end I went for parole without their support and won. The parole board told me they would have let me out a year sooner had a I applied but I listened to the advice of my PO. Thinking I had to have his support to get out. When in reality he knew I'd get out and giving me the run around was the best way to guarentee I did as long as possible.

Last edited: