• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Ever Been In Prison?

^ i think you ment to quote someone else, i didnt write that.

you just sound allot like an ex bler, same outtake on the whole thing. thats why i asked.

so your saying that the only way to really cutrail the abuse of guards is some shit 1-800 number? that blows, like thats gonna do anything.

sucks about your POs why did they keep switching? bureaucracy or to actually fuck you?

The best thing would be to avoid doing anything that could lead you to prison... mind if I ask the ones who did end up there how they did?

I served 2 years in a state prison in New York. I was at Wendy State for a while and then went to a camp up north. I had served a few weeks in county, and talked to a lot of people, and they had all told me the same thing: it's not that bad. Don't act like a fool. Don't play around. Just be yourself, and stand straight. There are plenty of gay guys to cover everybody, and generally nobody is raped. I was never raped. I was never asked. I stood up for myself, and I never fucked around. In some areas, the races were divided, but most of the time it was only the racist groups that fought. Aryans against Afrikans, Muslims and Israeli Knights, and a few others. Different places are of course different, so find out what goes on near you. Just do your time, speak up but be quiet, don't slouch but don't go walking like you're king. And it helps to make yourself valuable. I'm well read and rather intelligent, people turned to me for help on things as simple as school work, and as such I gained their protection. Just don't go to jail next time.

Thanks for the info - especially from those of you who've been there.

The charges are from a serious enough assault - don't want to go into it but have been told that 3-5 is likely. I have previous for drugs and one for robbery from when I was younger but had put that behind me until this happened.

I just find it hard to imagine being locked up for any length of time - overnighters before have wrecked my head and I just don't handle being confined easily. I have a bit of a big mouth as well and know that isn't so good - it got me into all this.

I'm not on any heavy drugs and am trying to steer clear of all that - I'm pretty much just do a bit of weed - along with regular smoking and drink of course.

Big thing for me is thinking about the first few days - getting there, what happens, how you're treated by the guards, meeting up with the other inmates. I'm just hoping not to do something stupid and make myself stand out or anything like that.

subopm420 said:
^ i think you ment to quote someone else, i didnt write that.

you just sound allot like an ex bler, same outtake on the whole thing. thats why i asked.

so your saying that the only way to really cutrail the abuse of guards is some shit 1-800 number? that blows, like thats gonna do anything.

sucks about your POs why did they keep switching? bureaucracy or to actually fuck you?

Sorry about the misquote. It's impossible to curtail the guards abuse entirely some are just pricks that like to inflict misery. But in my case I earned their attention, young and stupid. The 1 800 number was for whats called a "correctional investigator" a person who's suppose to be independant; but thats not the case. The last one we had in Canada spent over a full year living in his remote Northern Ontairo Cottage void of any communications devices, while on the job. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/03/26/stewart-committee.html?ref=rss

And yes the PO thing is purposely done. As a way to keep people in the system as long as possible. More inmates = more clients. More clients = more $. The Prison system is like a machine, it pays for a large part of its self through inmate labour. I worked in an upholstry shop 7 hours a day 5 days a week for 5.60$ a day. They then use the goods in goverment projects. Like in my case upholstrying chairs for offices. These are services that otherwise would have to be out sourced to a real company at 100x the cost. The company is called CORCAN and its in every federal jail in Canada. They work everythign from landscapeing, textiles, you name.

To the OP. Your big mouth will get you in more trouble more then anything. One little word can have big consequences. Do your time, don't EVER rat (the guards are not your friends despite what they tell you), and if you can try and stay out of the dope game. I know its hard, its the only thing that takes you out of that place. But if your gonna get in game stay out of debt. Don't front(lend) someone your not prepared to beat up.

You say your coming in on a violent beef? Provided it's not related to sexual violence thats a good thing. It means that people are going to be less likely to hassle you cause they worry about reprisal. Talk to someone in your community, about the local scene. Ask your lawyer if he knows anyone who can help you out. I sure he'd know a few solid guys.

Peace

Last edited:
kittenlittle said:
To the OP. Your big mouth will get you in more trouble more then anything. One little word can have big consequences. Do your time, don't EVER rat (the guards are not your friends despite what they tell you), and if you can try and stay out of the dope game. I know its hard, its the only thing that takes you out of that place. But if your gonna get in game stay out of debt. Don't front(lend) someone your not prepared to beat up.

You say your coming in on a violent beef? Provided it's not related to sexual violence thats a good thing. It means that people are going to be less likely to hassle you cause they worry about reprisal. Talk to someone in your community, about the local scene. Ask your lawyer if he knows anyone who can help you out. I sure he'd know a few solid guys.

Peace

I mean big mouth in the sense of backchat and saying what I think. I would never rat on anybody especially in prison. I know I could get by without dope OK but if it's there and things are tough - well it would be hard not to but I don't want any more shit than I already have. As I said I would miss just regular smoking more at this stage.

I know I can look after myself so I'm not too worried about that. I'm not normally into fights or that but this time was different.

I'm hearing what you say and thanks for posting it.

Just remember than not everything someone says will apply to your jail, many of the procedural things will be different. For example, Phreex couldn't wear his own shoes, in Burlington County, NJ they let you - hell, noone even checked the pocket of my Roo's (and once I started w/d'ing, I was KICKING myself for not thinking of that spot earlier....).

I just re-read your OP and your going to prison, not jail, so Phreex's post doesn't apply nearly as much. A lot depends on the prison, some are better than others. My uncle was in jail for ~8 years for statatury (a form of RAPE), and had no problems from people... Just go with the flow, know when to stick up for yourself, etc. Hopefully you can 'read' people decently.

Don't try to make friends. Don't look soft. People will take advantage of you. You don't have to look "hard" though, either.

Don't be nosey. If you see a few people huddling around whispering and looking around, if you can go back to your cell.

I was just released from Jackson State Penitentiary in Georgia nearly 3 months ago now and have been in and out of county several times. It's definitely not a good time or anything, but if you hold yourself right then things will be ok. A lot of people will sit back and tell you prison is a cakewalk and it ain't shit. Well, that's not the way I saw it. I guess it all depends on where you go, but where I was at, I realized that most of the people saying that were either lying, they had been there so long that they were scared to leave and would rather be there with no responsibilities being taken care of by the state, or they valued life a lot less than I did. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world. Just be respectful, don't put too much trust in anyone, don't get involved in any drama that's unnecessary, mind your buisness, don't come in showing any weakness, and don't come in trying to be Billy badass. What state are you in, what does your criminal background consist of, and what are the current charges? All of those factors will play into how much time you end up serving. At 26, if you don't have any violent felonies or an extensive list of felonies in general, chances are you'll get a sweet grid and not do much of anything on 3 - 5 years. Might even get released following diagnostics. It all depends on the state and exact circumstance. PM me if you need anything.

Key issue here:

I was in a County Jail (in Florida) ... things are even differnt in other county jails - LA county jail for instance DOES have prison gangs, where I was, there was none of that ...

One thing that seems to be true, and havingtalked to friends that have done time in REAL prison - respect is the key issue .. bump into someone? Apologize! Someone bump into you? Apologize ANYWAY!

Stick to yourself is about the best advice I can give ... as for "making friends" - gotta be carefull as the friends you make may come with a price ..

//p

can you please tell me how often men get raped in jail and under what grounds would they be raped and what would make them a target???

Yeah I've been there

As someone with over five years under my belt I can tell you a little bit. I did 2 1/2 years in a federal prison in South Carolina, and 2 1/2 years in various Texas state prisons.As most have said, do not get into debt-- you can be seriously hurt over this. If you smoke, I would give it up NOW--so you don't get into debt over the squares. I saw my cellie give up every bit of his commissary every week over squares--then he would be bummin off of everyone around for the whole week--a sad sight to see. I wouldn't get messed up in gangs--there's nothing but trouble awaiting you if you do. I thought I would have it rough while there because I am gay, but I never had any touble--actually its not hard to make "friends". I don't know where you're going to prison and how their classification system works, but here in Texas, you get sent to various prisons depending upon your crime--mine drug poss & dist--so I was sent to minimum custody places--yeah there were the occassional fight, but not really that bad--the summers were bad--imagine living in a metal building in the El Paso Desert--116 degrees F outside approximately 124 degrees F inside--it was miserable. I tell you it but some act right into my ass--wont ever touch anything ever again--plus im on parole for the next three years.

Like someone said--if you make it through the first six months--which if you have a head on your shoulders, you will--its rather funny--we as mammles have an instinct for adaptation and survival--you will have to adapt and survive in this new environment. Its not hard--just have to suck it up and get over it--I know its easier said than done, but I have been there--I know.

To tell you the truth, the hard part is starting your life over new on the outside--like getting an apartment, getting a job, etc--felonies are not looked upon very highly--I have been blessed by God to be in the situation that I am in now--was able to get into a prisoner reintegration program here in Dallas that put me into job training and I was hired a week after the class at a major optical retailer--working in their lab--excellent career. You have to be determined to do the right thing when you get out though--especially if you are on parole--change your playgrounds, playmates, and playthings--you will have time to do a lot of soul searching and a LOT of time to get to know yourself--so make the right decisions for yourself--I tell you once you are in the system, it is easier for the Man to put you back into it than it was ever before--it is usually an endless cycle for most felons.

Good luck my brother.

8)

I went to juvinile when I was 15yo for some pretty serios charges. Though its not prison, I'm sure they operate in much the same way. Namely law of the jungle.
Don't associate with those at the bottom of the pecking order, always speak confidently even if its garbage, don't smile too much. There are probably some good novels about people who have spent a long time in prison, you should seek them out and have a read.
And if u are going away for that long, make sure you make something of yourself in there (ie edcation) but don't let others know.
Best of luck mate