Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

is homosexuality a choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesmdow

Bluelighter
i searched the forum for this and didnt find anything?!8o

anyway... im writing a paper for psychology about it. i dont know any gay people in real life, so i ask you here: is it a choice you made, or were you born that way?

a gay person may know for themselves, but not for everyone.

Did you make the choice to be straight? Were you born that way?

I think there are various origins for sexual preference and orientation....

Political feminism was prevalent for a bit, I think it depends on how you are defining gay....do people make a choice every time they engage in a sexual act with another person, hopefully!
Do physical interactions alone comprise sexual identity? I don't think so

I wonder what the hell kind of proffessor you have....there was no literature associated with this question, they expect you to answer this by asking gay people if they chose to be gay? very interesting.

You are either born straight or gay, no argument about it really. It's a genetic condition. That's why you get gay animals

sboogie said:
they expect you to answer this by asking gay people if they chose to be gay?

doubtful. the OP just likes to start a bunch of gay threads for some reason.

i wonder if it's a choice or if he was born that way?

8)

ok ive been reading about it and ive refined my question:

for those who consider themselves "gay," how/when/why did it happen?

i intentionally left my opinion out of the thread mostly because i feel its irrelevant, since im not gay. ive known this since i can remember~

but i can ONLY speak for me.

another question i wonder how gays feel about: are gays a minority group?

@lterEgo said:
doubtful. the OP just likes to start a bunch of gay threads for some reason.

i wonder if it's a choice or if he was born that way?

8)
im not using this forum for references, lol8)

i just wonder how people feel about it, like i said, i have no one to ask--only papers on the subject, which present data but arent very insightful. im asking here to gain a bit of understanding on the subject on a personal level. figured this would be an appropriate place.

...i guess not.8)

and yea, i ask about what im curious about. whats wrong with that? i also make lots of posts about benzos, cutting, mental disorders, etc... yes, it IS my choice.;)

maybe not everyone "gets" homosexuality the way you do, @lterego.

EDIT: wording.

Last edited:
Is being straight a choice? Did you choose to be straight? Think about it for a second. Slightly off topic but I'm annoyed with straight people who think they're superior cause of sexuality, pisses me off since they had nothing to do with choosing who they're attracted to.

wesmdow said:
for those who consider themselves "gay," how/when/why did it happen?
Why did it happen? Seriously?

wesmdow said:
another question i wonder how gays feel about: are gays a minority group?

I really think you need to try again on these questions. The questions you are asking are extremely naive and narrowminded. You talk about THE GAYS (which is an absurd term IMO) like they're some collective group. Are you refering to gay men? Lesbians? What about people who are bi? Pansexual? If you're talking about the queer community in general, then yes, I'd say that they are a minority.

I'm not gay... but do see myself as bi. So im not sure if that really counts...

Was it a choice? No. From a young age my family always thought I was a lesbian. And at times... I wonder if I really am meant to be with a girl (I try to date guys only) but I did not choose to like girls, I just do.

No I don't think it's a choice however I do think many more people than like to admit are bisexual but just repress their homosexual side, which is entirely possibly to choose to do.

The majority of girls I know accept a homosexual side but very few men do. I think the spectrum of sexuality for the male and female population looks prety similar but there's unfortunately more pressure on men to supress their gay side.

Also as regards to the choice thing I read about a very interesting study in newscientist about weather homosexuality is nature or nurture. They found that the more older sisters a boy has the higher the chances of them being gay are which indicates an influence from the mothers hormones during pregnancy. They canceled out the possibility that just growing up with girls could make you gay by taking into account boys that grew up with step sisters from a different mother.

Unfortunately I don't have a link but I think that this is pretty convincing evidence that sexuality is at least part nature.

Last edited:
AuraithX said:
You are either born straight or gay, no argument about it really. It's a genetic condition. That's why you get gay animals

I think its a lot more involved than that.

So at 46 years of age I finally had a "gay" experience.

It probably raised even more questions for me than it solved.

The idea of me having sex with a guy never was even considered until a few years ago really..........its certainly not something I dreamed about at all.

But then I was never an overly sexual being anyways.

If I look back to my childhood there were no situations at all that would suggest i may have preferred cock.

I am fairly confident that in my case it was a choice.

I tend to be a logical thinker and rationalise stuff out. So my thinking is that there is absolutely no reason other than those imposed by society, why I, or any human for that matter should be restricted to being able to love someone of the same sex just as deeply as i might love someone from the opposite sex.

And regards the sexual side of things........sex is for two things only........pleasure or procreate.

If I want to procreate then i must find a woman...........pure and simple.

But if i want to have pleasure then whats the difference between enjoying it with a guy or a woman?............absolutely nothing at all. Of course society will tell you different but thats societies problem.

But to completely answer the question......... I am not convinced that I wasnt born gay either............because maybe society did such a good job on me at an early age that it was just never a consideration?

Or is it possible that there is a gene in me that most others dont have that allows me to be truly honest and open with myself and due to that gene I am able to accept men or women.

My conclusion is that its way to complicated and I am also of the opinion that life experiences early on can have a huge bearing as well. so there is no absolute answer.

Now that was all written based on looking at the question from one angle.

But now lets look at it from another angle...........

Yes homosexuality IS a choice.............everyone can choose it if they wish.

for gods sake why is everyone so defensive about this?

since when is "gay" a derogatory term? i certainly didnt mean it that way... i clarified later that im asking anyone who considers themselves "gay."

why would anyone think i feel SUPERIOUR because of my sexuality? ffs it has nothing to do with superiority or inferiority... i consider myself straight but why seriously what makes you think ive got anything against gays?

is it because i didnt PREFACE my post saying that im actually incredibly liberal, support peoples right to do w/e they want so long as it doesnt harm others?

i think maybe some of you who are so defensive are acting so out of habit, having to defend yourself or something~either way, im asking a legitimate question. yes it is naive, but if i dont ask that only leaves me with ASSUMPTIONS, and would you like that people who dont understand you just GO WITH THEIR ASSUMPTIONS?

christ... im not trying to be hostile at all so dont treat me as such. this is ridiculous.

If this is christian right inspired go bless yourself.
If you are sincere, no it is not a choice. It is how one is. I am bisexual and being forced into a straight role made me very unhappy for much of my life. Finally in late middle age and with the aid of mdma I've been able to openly acknowledge my bisexuality.
It's too late in many ways to do much about it (read enjoy it). I wish I'd been able to embrace it at a much younger age.
The whole so-called choice thing is so much c++p, it's unbelievable. Do you really imagine that people would put themselves through so much hell out of choice????

MazDan said:
truly, but everyone can CHOOSE to do pretty much anything. or at least try.

myself as an example, i COULD choose to be in a relationship with a guy, however i really doubt that itd be as fulfilling as one with a female.

hence my orientation sexually doesnt really seem to ME like a choice.

but experiences like yours are EXACTLY why i made this thread, thank you.

MazDan said:

I would prefer to say..it can be a choice, but to some its a real battle to accept being gay, you know you are but don't want to accept it...i would hardly call that a choice.

wesmdow said:
for gods sake why is everyone so defensive about this?

is it because i didnt PREFACE my post saying that im actually incredibly liberal, support peoples right to do w/e they want so long as it doesnt harm others?

christ... im not trying to be hostile at all so dont treat me as such. this is ridiculous.

I'm not being defensive. It really is a shit-stirring question

If you're so liberal, how come you don't know any gays.

The hostility arises because this question arouses the same level of feeling as if you had denied the holocaust or said that African Americans came voluntarily to work in America.

augustaB said:
Do you really imagine that people would put themselves through so much hell out of choice????

to that i say: im a drug addict, (also debatably a choice), and do you think id put myself through that hell voluntarily?!?!?

_I CERTAINLY SEEM TO_

and yes, as i said already, my question is innocent. DEFINITELY not right-inspired=D

well, some people do chose (obvious example of political lesbianism)

if you are serious about this um, "research" there is a ton out there about this

AuraithX- what are you talking about? Where have you seen/heard that sexual preference is a "genetic condition" ....nowhere, because there is no such thing beyond conjecture

equating animal behavior to human behavior doesn't get you very far, think about how different gender and sex are between ethno-cultural placements- you want to jump species now??

sheesh

thanks mo...i had no idea... ( i think this guy is calling you uber-gay....no one gets gay the way you do baby)

Status
Not open for further replies.