Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Raver dies after taking ecstasy

E-llusion

Bluelight Crew
Raver dies after taking ecstasy

Jun 2 2006
By Ben Ashford

A RAVER died after taking ecstasy at South London's top music venue.

The 26-year-old and his pals took the class-A drug at the Brixton Academy on Saturday night as it hosted a trance and hard-house event.

He became ill in the early hours and went to a medical room inside the venue before being taken to hospital where he died at 4.30am on Sunday.

Police seized a number of ecstasy pills similar to those he had swallowed but said there was "nothing unusual" about the batch.

The 26-year-old - who has not been named by police - was thought to have been fit and healthy before attending the award-winning venue in Stockwell Park Road, which was hosting the Supernova rave event.

Eight people fell ill in April after taking ecstasy at the Factory nightclub in Goding Street, Vauxhall, but all recovered.

Police say Saturday's tragedy highlights the dangerous link between clubbing and illegal drug taking. It comes just weeks after officers swooped on suspected drug dealers at Brixton's Fridge nightclub and closed the venue for more than a month.

Similar closures were promised across the borough if nightclub bosses failed to take action to keep their clubs free of drugs.

Superintendent Stewart Low,in charge of policing Brixton, described the death as the "unnecessary loss of a young man's life".

He said: "The links between clubbing events and drugs must be broken. Lambeth police work in partnership with clubs towards this objective.

"Our recent raid at The Fridge nightclub highlights how strongly we feel on this point."

None of the dead man's friends, who travelled to the club together from Brighton and all took ecstasy,were harmed.

A post-mortem has been carried out and an inquest opened and adjourned. No arrests have been made.

A Met spokesman said: "Lambeth CID continue to make enquiries as to the full circumstances of the incident, including the source of the drugs."

Academy spokeswoman Louise Kovacs said: "We are liaising with the police over their inquiry and would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the friends and family of the deceased."

http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0400lambeth/tm_objectid=17166796&method=full&siteid=50100&headline=raver-dies-after-taking-ecstasy-name_page.html

I know this isn't a funny story, but the title made me chuckle. Not sure why though...

I am curious as to what pills they are also....altough it doesn't look like it matters....appearently he is the only one who fell ill.....could have had a medical condition and reacted to the drug.....who knows.....will they release the autopsy to the media???

Dublin said:
I am curious as to what pills they are also....altough it doesn't look like it matters....appearently he is the only one who fell ill.....could have had a medical condition and reacted to the drug.....who knows.....will they release the autopsy to the media???

Yea, possibility he was on MAOIs.

sharks? + probably other shit (base + booze + xxx). watch out for the dodge pills.

"Police say Saturday's tragedy highlights the dangerous link between clubbing and illegal drug taking."

Ah yes, because just this one death means everyone is at risk. If deaths are such an issue with drugs being illegal, then ffs ban Ciggerates and alcohol. I can't say it enough.

Having said that though, it does make me slightly concerned about the pills going around as i'm from London, but not that part. It's just the hypocrisy of these drug laws that gets me everytime.

SmC said:
Ah yes, because just this one death means everyone is at risk. If deaths are such an issue with drugs being illegal, then ffs ban Ciggerates and alcohol. I can't say it enough.

I fully agree, its sooooo contradicting. Hundreds more ppl die of alcohol and tocacco related illnesses or accidents! I think the problem is that if they were made illegal, it could never be enforced. So the government tries to make as much as they can illegal, especially after they've seen the harmful effects of alcohol and tobacco, they don't want another drug to ever cause the same consequences.

*cloud9baby* said:
I fully agree, its sooooo contradicting. Hundreds more ppl die of alcohol and tocacco related illnesses or accidents! I think the problem is that if they were made illegal, it could never be enforced. So the government tries to make as much as they can illegal, especially after they've seen the harmful effects of alcohol and tobacco, they don't want another drug to ever cause the same consequences.

The problem is that alcohol and ciggerates make too much money for pubs/companies, if they made those drugs illegal pubs would go out of business and lots of jobs/business would be lost. The ironic thing is that they're the bad drugs. What a funny world we live in!:)

the people collapsing at The Factory had taken Diamonds.. i remember seeing posters up in the club warning people about them.
The dodgy Shark pills were going around at that time too.

"None of the dead man's friends, who travelled to the club together from Brighton and all took ecstasy,were harmed."

So obviously it's the drug's fault, not some kind of specific physical or allergic reaction the one person had. Because obviously the solution is to enforce laws that make it impossible to have any kind of quality standard or find out what pills are cut with to avoid reactions and interactions. Yeah, that's smart.

This isn't a death from ecstacy, this is a death from drug policy. Were ecstasy legal, I guarantee this death could have been prevented by quality control and substance-interaction testing.

^Exactly!
I find it funny that whenever most Bluelighters read someting relating mdma to someone's death, they claim it as bullshit and propaganda.
Well, just thought I'd let you know, some people are sensitive to MDMA and can easily die from a physical reaction. It's not completely harmless like most of you would like to think. Though, a death from overdose is rare.

Diacetylus said:
^Exactly!
I find it funny that whenever most Bluelighters read someting relating mdma to someone's death, they claim it as bullshit and propaganda.
Well, just thought I'd let you know, some people are sensitive to MDMA and can easily die from a physical reaction. It's not completely harmless like most of you would like to think. Though, a death from overdose is rare.

Um...

not some kind of specific physical or allergic reaction the one person had.

Did you not read that part of his post? He's saying that yes some people are sensitive to MDMA, but had this person who died known about this and been more educated, then he would've been more responsible.

SmC said:
Um...

not some kind of specific physical or allergic reaction the one person had.

Did you not read that part of his post? He's saying that yes some people are sensitive to MDMA, but had this person who died known about this and been more educated, then he would've been more responsible.

It a sad world ... depressing infact! imho i highly doubt that would of made any difference

androoo said:
the people collapsing at The Factory had taken Diamonds.. i remember seeing posters up in the club warning people about them.
The dodgy Shark pills were going around at that time too.

Well the diamonds are mainly amphetamine, probably some other crap aswell.

The sharks i'm assuming are the mCPP ones? It could have been that the raver in this article took them, although we'll probably never know due to the press not actually giving a shit.

Look I'm not saying MDMA doesn't have the potential to cause harmful or fatal reactions in some people. Hell I've got so many weird allergies and intolerances (alcohol, coffee, tobacco, something in marijuana besides THC, citric acid, vitamin E, the acid in red and green peppers, the list goes on...) I know that better than most people.

When I first tried MDMA I took a tiny sliver of it at home, during the day with friends around, and waited an hour for any bad reaction. After that, I took 1/4 and waited half an hour, then 1/2 and half an hour. It didn't do much. It was 2 or 3 months later before I got up to trying 2 pills and got the right dosage for my body weight.

My point is, if this stuff was controlled and monitored instead of prohibited, there would be quality control. There would likely be better education, bigger studies, and contraindications would be known. People could get samples and try them under supervision of a doctor the first time to check for reactions, etc.

Whenever I try a new drug I ALWAYS try way way below the effective dosage because I've had so many problems just with regular foods. I once spent a night cramped on the bathroom floor because I ate a few meatballs that turned out to be made of soy, and I'm allergic to it.

Maybe the guy would still have dropped whatever he did. Maybe it really was pure MDMA (doubt it). Maybe he'd used that amount before and it was just a freak interaction with his lunch. Lots of maybes, but I'd put a lot of money on the bet that if this had been a legal, pure, certified pill, and he'd had the opportunity to try it out in a better environment first, he wouldn't have died. Say what you want, but I'll stand by that assertion.

i don't see how anyone would be on here condoning MDMA use over alcohol or tobacco when we all know that taking E turns you into a retarded shell of a person.