• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Okay losers, post here! v. The Weight Loss thread

Strawberry_lovemuffin

Bluelighter
Rightio.

I've just started Weight Watchers again, and I'm sure I'm not the only one in this forum who's currently on a weight loss regime.

I thought to myself: let's have a thread where we can post what we're doing to try to drop some kilos.

Let's post our sucesses and failures, swap hints and tips, and support each other!

So who's a loser and how are you going with it? Please include something you've done you're proud of at the end of your post (or, alternatively, admit something you did you're not proud of!).

My success today: my work just put on a footy grand final lunch - pies, sausage rolls, focaccia... and I sat there and watched them eat it while eating my own lunch I bought (soup & a sandwich). Embarrassing and socially redundant, yes, but it can be done!

Good work. That sort of willpower is all you need to achieve your goal.

SLM - I have heard of and seen great results from Low GI lifestyle changes.

^ yes I think WW includes "Low GI" in many of their meal plans ie. swapping white rice for basmati, potatoes for sweet potato, that kind of thing.

The GI thing is funny though... it doesn't follow normal rules of nutrition... chocolate and icecream are lower GI than some fruits and vegies... very strange. It's probably not what I'd entirely base my stategy on for that reason, but some of the swaps are obviously beneficial.

skavenger said:
Good work. That sort of willpower is all you need to achieve your goal.

^I'm the Willpower Queen in the first few weeks. It's after I start seeing results that I struggle (strangely enough). Does anyone else get this? You start feeling good, and thin, then slip back to your old habits?

Determined not to do that this time.

I think most people work this way. They start to get the results they are after, feel good about themselves and slacken off a little.

When I reach goals in the Gym and my body shape changes to what I was after I always slacken off a little until I notice another change.

Human nature me thinks

hmm, I'm not a dieting sort of guy, and I suck at making the sort of life changes that result in better health, but I think I might have stumbled onto something that works for me.

I adopted a dog around the first of the year, and I started taking her for long walks nightly starting around May. I went in for a physical a few weeks ago and it turns out I've lost thirty pounds, which as far as I'm concerned, is sand off a beach, but its a wonderful benefit.

I've finally reached the point where a nightly walk of 5 or 7 miles is habit, and I feel guilty when I don't do it. That's a plus for me. If I'm able to rationalize away something for even one day, I might as well stop doing it altogether.

This is my weight loss plan: (i only want to lose 10 pounds)

I walk EVERYWHERE.
I do sit-ups and push-ups before bed and when i wake up.
I eat only at mealtime, and try to get lots of vegggies in there. I don't eat everything fat free or low fat, but i try to keep things pretty healthy.
I don't eat munchies or I just don't smoke weed.

That's it!! so far I've lost 6 pounds!!

=D

16kgs(35pounds) in 3.5 months, been fat most of my life until just recently.....Tried heaps of diets and failed till I realised its a life style change, not a diet.

Exercise, exercise & exercise!! No better way to do it, yes of course eat more healthy, but dont go all stupid and start cutting out shit and making urself starve!

Does this work the other way around too?

Say I want to be 100 kg at the end of this year. And Im now 90 kilos.
:)

^ you're also welcome here ksi!

I know it can be just as much of a struggle for some people to put *on* weight than for some to lose it.

If you guys who are trying to put on weight ever need a thread to vent in, please, vent here!

A new study of some 55,000 healthy, middle-aged Swedish women finds that those who ate little or no meat weighed significantly less than their more carnivorous counterparts. The findings are some of the first to show a direct link between a plant-based diet and a lower body mass index, or BMI.

The study found that 40 percent of women who ate meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy products as well as plant-based foods were overweight or obese, as defined by having a body mass index of 25 or more. (That's equal to a person 5 feet 6 weighing 155 pounds or more.) Compare that to 29 percent of the self-described vegans, who ate no animal products, and semi-vegetarians, defined as skipping meat, poultry and eggs but eating dairy products and fish. The leanest women were the lacto-vegetarians: 25 percent of this group were overweight or obese.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/20/AR2005062001056.html

Food for thought.

Leanest and weakest? I fail to see the merit in a diet void of the protein/etc that meat/chicken products provide. Whilst it's fine for vegans/vegaterians to not eat meat by choice, it's ludicrous to propose that such a diet leads to healthier and stronger human beings.

>>Leanest and weakest? I fail to see the merit in a diet void of the protein/etc that meat/chicken products provide. >>

You also have failed to lend empirical support for the notion that vegans and vegetarians are lacking in muscle mass.

no, I will not use myself as a datum. :)

ebola

I see no reason not to propose that a diet rich in a variety of vitamins, nutrients, and natural sugars, proteins, carbohydrates, and FIBER from plant sources could provide efficiently for a strong, healthy human being.

Need I cite famous athletes and olympians that were vegan or can you do a simple google search?

carl lewis! w00! he was also somewhat recently arrested on DUI charges. go vegans!

ebola

The Body Mass Index is a useless measure because it fails to take into account body fat percentage. If I were to train hard and add 20 pounds of muscle to my body, my BMI would suddenly say I was over-weight. It makes sense that the vegitarians would weigh less in that study. But there's a good chance that they weigh less because they have less muscle, not less fat.

That study sounds invalid for another reason: Most meat is not lean, and therefore contains lots of saturated fat. The meat eaters in the study were probably consuming fatty meats. A healthy meat eating diet includes mostly LEAN meats. Saturated fats have given meat a bad name.

It is possible to have a great diet being a vegitarian, but without consuming huge amounts of soy (which is now known to cause various health problems), it can be difficult to get enough protein. Even then, you have to supplement with vitamins and minerals. It is certainly not healthier, but with a little work and thought it can be JUST AS healthy.

edit: Just thought I'd add - Obviously a healthy diet should also include veggies, fruits, nuts, whole grains etc. None of the meat supporters here are advocating the atkins diet!

>>It makes sense that the vegitarians would weigh less in that study. But there's a good chance that they weigh less because they have less muscle, not less fat.>>

justify this empirically.

>>It is possible to have a great diet being a vegitarian, but without consuming huge amounts of soy (which is now known to cause various health problems)>>

Legumes, my friend.

ebola

Can we NOT make this a vegetarian vs. meat eating thread, please? (unless it specifically relates to weight loss)

This argument is in just about every other thread here in Healthy Living anyway. Reading it all again and again ad nauseum makes me want to club baby seals.

While on a weight loss diet, it is ideal to get 30-40% of your calories from protein. This is to prevent muscle loss while on a caloric deficit.

Legumes are an excellent food. . .but that's a lot of beans. And you have to remember that beans have lots of carbs in them too, which makes it harder to hit the ideal macro nutrient ratio of carbs : protein : fat.
-----------------------------
Unrelated Arguing:

In my previous post I was explaining some of the many reasons why that experiment was flawed. Obviously I cannot give you any empirical evidence to back up my claims about it because the article doesn't include many details, such as the body fat percentage of the participants. Here are some reasons why the study is flawed:

1) The study falsely implies that all diets containing meat are high in saturated fat. By automatically associating meat with saturated fats, the study knocks down a straw man. Correlation does not prove causation.

2) Body mass index is a poor indication of health, because it does not take body fat percentage into account.

3) A vegetarian woman is probably more likely to be concerned about her weight and health than a non vegetarian woman.

4) Avoiding a common food group will probably cause an overall reduction in calories for many people.

I have no evidence to back up 3 and 4 other than my own anecdotal experience.
-------------
Sorry for fucking up your thread SLM I'll stop beating the dead horse now :\

Last edited:
ive lost 17kgs in a month from a meth binge.. now ive quit but i like the weight ive lost.. have started cycling 3 times a week, helps keep minds of things and the fresh air does wonders..

just need to figure out a new diet.. plus im prescribed Reductil.. any thoughts on this drug?