• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Okay losers, post here! v. The Weight Loss thread

well yesterday went ok. ate less than usual but i doubt what i did eat would be anybody's idea of a diet lol.

feeling positive though, which is the main thing. :)

anyone got any ideas for exercizes i could do at home? specifically to shift the fat off my hips. or something cheap and fun?
cant afford a gym membership but i really think i need to start exercising if there's going to be any point to this.

xfillerbunnyx said:

anyone got any ideas for exercizes i could do at home? specifically to shift the fat off my hips. or something cheap and fun?

There is no way to spot reduce fat. Each of our body's has its own way of distributing fat based on our body weight and fat percentage. So let's say you lose five pounds of fat. Your body (not you) will decide whether that fat comes off of your hips or let's say. . . your arms. As you probably know, fat on the hips is usually not the first to go. For men, fat on the stomach is often the last to go.

The "secret" to losing fat is a eating in caloric deficit, good nutrition, strength training and cardio. Jogging, or walking briskly up a hill for 40 minutes to an hour is great cardio. That is cheap, and could be fun depending on what your idea of a good time is.

Strawberry Lovemuffin Wine

SL,
What is so awful in your program about having wine? As long as it's not Reislings or Kindzmaruli, etc. Then it's all good, no?

^ Wine is loaded with calories and sugar. :( I don't think it matters what variety.

I don't know how many calories it has because Weight Watchers affords everything a "points value" instead, but I know it's significant.

Put it this way, 1 normal-sized glass of wine = 2 points on the WW program, and I only have 20 points to spend in a day.

By the time I finish a bottle I'd have drunk the equivalent of my food allowance for breakfast AND lunch. I'd rather eat, at this stage! Plus alcohol makes me hungrier, and I make bad food choices after drinking.

I play a lot of sport during the middle of the year (usually 4-5 nights a week inc. training) and I usually go to the gym or do a lot of running or cycling during the rest of the year. That usually keeps me fit the year round.

Problem was this year I broke a couple of ribs and had to take time off, then I went back to sport to early and cracked them again so I basically have had several months off doing nothing. I usually eat fairly well, though I do go through good and bad stages. Mainly I just make an effort to eat enough servings of fruit and veges every day. If I decide that I'm going to have fruit for breaky and afternoon tea, that's two times that I'm avoiding eating junk and high carb foods. I'm usually rushed in the mornings though and usually end up having fruit when I get home from work and for desert so essentially it works out better having healthier foods later in the day and the less healthy stuff during the day when it's more likely to get burnt off.

My big problem is that because I've had time off exercise, my stamina and lung capacity have become seriously reduced. I am supposed to restart representative netball and footy in two weeks and I have come to the realisation that I have gained 15kg since I first got injured. I hate the idea of dieting but I think that my weight has really gotten beyond a joke if I want to continue with my sports. This is also considering that I have lost a lot of muscle as well.

My eating has always been ok but I've never really realised how much I depend on my active lifestyle. Guess it's time for more drastic dieting measures, at least for the next month.

On a positive note.... today I had wholmeal toast for breaky and a yoghurt for lunch, about to do some training and then have some fruit for afternoon tea. Snaps for me! :)

^ I'd interpret that list with caution. I've never in my life seen a 115ml glass of wine - even the snootiest wine bars pour 150ml glasses (which is one standard drink) and at home, most people pour about 250 ml (I have empirical data from years of boozing ;))

Not sure what mentaldent was saying about riesling - as a dry white it's among the lower calorie content wines.

Anyhoo I agree that cutting out alcohol is a good way to lose weight, not just for the calories, but because drinking can be demotivational to dieting :)

aunty establishment said:

Anyhoo I agree that cutting out alcohol is a good way to lose weight, not just for the calories, but because drinking can be demotivational to dieting :)

Yeah the lowered inhibitions and increase in appetite is a killer combo. I've also read in a few places that alchohol is specifically damaging to fat loss and metabolism. I don't remember the exact reason, but it really goes beyond the fact that it's empty carbohydrate calories.

Guys I thought I'd give you my first weigh-in result for week 1.....

2.3 kg!

1kg = 2.2 pounds, so I guess for you Americans that's over 5 pounds I lost this week. So proud! =D

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
Guys I thought I'd give you my first weigh-in result for week 1.....

2.3 kg!

1kg = 2.2 pounds, so I guess for you Americans that's over 5 pounds I lost this week. So proud! =D

Congratulations! That's a lot of weight to lose in one week though. You might wanna up your calories by maybe 300-500, adding some more protein and good fats. If you lose weight too fast you are going to end up reducing your muscle mass as well as your body fat, which will lower your metabolism. A good goal to shoot for is two pounds a week.

Yeah, it's not the usual for me. I've never lost that much in one week before, it's usually 500grams - 1kilo (1 or 2 pounds).

I think it's because I was drinking quite heavily, then I stopped cold turkey. That's a lot of calories and carbs to suddenly drop out of your diet. I probably lost a shitload of water weight because of that.

I am not planning to keep losing 5 pounds a week - I think it will stabilise around 2 pounds. But if it doesn't, I'll add in some things like nuts and avocado which I'm currently not eating. that's good advice - thanks!

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:

I think it's because I was drinking quite heavily, then I stopped cold turkey. That's a lot of calories and carbs to suddenly drop out of your diet. I probably lost a shitload of water weight because of that.

Ya, specifically cutting out or reducing carbs can cause a greater weight loss than overall calorie reduction. The reason being that your muscles normally store glycogen and water. So cutting out carbs causes a greater loss in water weight, as well as a reduction in weight due to a lack of muscle glycogen.

This is part of the reason that people on atkins see such incredible weight loss results in their first week of ketosis.

Congratulations SLM that's awesome. I have been getting into the Body Attack this week. Apparently you can loose up to 900 calories per class. Ive also been getting on the bike more this week and trying desperately to eat less crap but the choccie bickie were pretty tempting yesterday and i am two of em. Grrrr

I was going to start on Weight Watchers when I get back from europe in a few weeks... after hearing SLM's progress, I think it is definately for me!

It wasn't even that hard really. Just a bit of forward planning and determination. The first couple of days were a bit of a shock to the system, but I have to admit the less I'm eating the less I feel like eating.

Just to give you an example of an (average) day before WW. As you can see I was eating quite healthily (although probably servings were too large) up until 5pm :D

Breakfast: 2 pieces of toast spread thickly with 'lite' peanut butter, coffee.
Morning tea: banana, small handful of cashews or almonds
Lunch: Medium sized tin of minestrone soup, cheese and ham toasted sandwich
Afternoon tea: fruit, muesli bar (or if there was cake at the office, I wouldn't say no).
After work (5.30pm): 4 large glasses of wine (on a good day ;) ), 1 box of Snackatas crackers, half a tub of skinny tzatzki dip.
Dinner: Large plate of spaghetti bolegnaise with cheese plus buttered bread.
After dinner: 2 or 3 rows of a family block of chocolate

Now, here's an average day. It's just about weighing stuff. I don't get hungry really, it's just a mind trick. What you serve up on your plate is what you'll eat.

Breakfast: 1 piece of wholegrain toast spread thinly with lite peanut butter, coffee
Morning tea: banana
Lunch: 4 corn cakes topped with small tin tuna or 50g shaved turkey; large green salad
Afternoon tea: diet yogurt, apple
After work: 10 pretzels or 20 Snakata crackers ONLY (yes, I measure them out in a little bowl!), diet soft drink.
Dinner: homemade Chicken fried rice (with only 120g of chicken and 1/3 cup uncooked rice, unlimited vegies, no oil)
Desert: 2 small scoops Weight Watchers chocolate icecream.

It is actually yummer food on this program, because it forces you to be inventive and use vegetables and get excited about recipies again! Does take a bit more planning, but I'm pretty organised.

Man, the benefits far outweigh the small sacrifices... i really feel great. Okay I'll stop preaching now :D

Last edited:
I've lost about 8lbs so far, and I have decided to give up soda. All soda has been out of the house, and I haven't had any in a few days. Granted, I was drinking mainly Diet Rite, but it's still soda.....

The Meth Diet works quiet well.

No joke. Although I don't do meth and don't need to lose weight, my experiences with amphetimines have included like two days of having no appetite whatsoever.

Hey. I lost about 40 pounds in the last year 1/2.

I started working at an organic food store (Whole Foods), and began to eat lots of vegetables and fruit. No crazy diet ideas, just eating semi-balanced meals. Stop eating as soon as you're not hungry anymore - don't keep going until you're full. Cut soda pop and other sources of high fructose corn syrup out of your diet. I still have a weakness for red vines and coca cola, but treat it like a drug habit. Once and a while = great, all the time = gross.
Walk everywhere. Walk to work, walk to school, walk around your neighborhood. Go for a walk when you have a cigarette.
Dance. Seriously. Go out every weekend and dance your ass off no matter how jiggly you are. Some MDMA makes exercise fun ;) but I've noticed the really fat e-tweakers never really lose weight. Don't make amphetamines your weight loss tool.

thats that