Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Today Tonight Tue 9th - Ecstacy

Faustus

Bluelighter
Just saw an add for tomorrows Today Tonight. Looks like they will have some MRI scans of people as well as some other things about adulterants.

Will be riddled with lies but still going to watch it

wasnt there something on tonight about raves and drugs on today tonight?

i missed it

Its all a load of crap. Another scare campaign. i wonder if they injected lethal doses of meth into her brain to get those scan images. Numerous tests have already been done on all types of users eg, brain density, to show little too no damage to the brain and scans to show recovery after its usage stopped. Maybe she had a liking to paint sniffing to get her brain too look like that. I can't remember the site that goes through all the tests and experiments, i think it was ecstasy.org not sure i'll reply again if i'm incorrect

Nah it is tomorrow. I watched it tonight just to see the show and at the end they said it was Tuesday night. I think they just changed the nights it was on.

From what I can see this program will help to push some more lies about MDMA. They will be showing MRIs that have clear holes in the brain shown.

This show being aired is just cut bits from a MTV and Oprah show. Not 100% on this but seems like it. Below is a cut from http://www.tvtalkshows.com/board/showthread.php?t=476

It looks like the scans are nothing more than crap to stir up a scare. They are scans of brain blood flow and MDMA does not effect this. The scans were manipulated to show what looked like holes in the brain which had suffered strokes.

Commentary by Rick Doblin, Ph.D.:

"The recent MTV special on MDMA showed the results of a SPECT scan of a young woman, Lynn Smith, who had used a very large amount of MDMA. Lynn's doctors reported that her SPECT scan showed "holes in the brain" similar to what a scan would look like of an elderly woman who had had multiple small strokes.

The graphic image shown on the MTV special was a 3-D reconstruction of the SPECT image, which clearly showed dramatic and frightening holes throughout her brain. However, this image was in no way a visual representation of the structure of her brain The SPECT scan actually measured the variation in cerebral blood flow in Lynn's brain. The 3-D image was then created by assigning a different color to different amounts of blood flow. How the graphic image looks is a matter of threshold effect on the image processing.

One can take any normal brain SPECT and lower the threshold (lower areas of blood flow assigned a low or zero level of color) , and one will see "holes" on the 3-D image. Conversely, you can also take the same image and adjust (increase) the threshold to "remove the holes". These are not absolute blood flow measurements. The "holes" simply demonstrate relatively lower blood flow compared to the entire brain. One cannot make any statements about whether it's normal or abnormal unless absolute blood flow measurements are made, which requires more sophisticated scanning procedures than were conducted on Lynn Smith.

Dr. Linda Chang, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, has conducted a scientifically rigorous, controlled SPECT study in 21 MDMA users compared to 21 controls. [Chang, L. et al, Effect of Ecstasy ( 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine [MDMA]) on cerebral blood flow: a co-registered SPECT and MRI study. Psychiatry Research-Neuroimaging, Section 98 (2000) 15-28.]

The MDMA users in Dr. Chang's study averaged 211 exposures to MDMA, with a range of from 6-1500 exposures. The average amount of MDMA consumed was 13.1 grams. There were no significant differences in amount of cerebral blood flow between the MDMA users and the controls, either globally or in specific brain regions. Furthermore, none of the MDMA users showed any signs of stroke, as measured by MRI scans.

In Dr. Chang's study, 10 of the subjects were scanned again, after the administration of two doses of MDMA. Cerebral blood flow was reduced somewhat in some brain regions at two weeks after the last dose of MDMA. 2 subjects were scanned again after 10 weeks and were found to have elevated cerebral blood flow in some regions. Dr. Chang reported, "Our findings suggest that the initially decreased rCBF normalizes with time and may even increase above baseline at later time points."

In order to diagnose a stroke, or strokes, one can simply do an MRI and even lesions as small as 1-2 millimeter will be visible. MAPS has offered to pay for the costs of an MRI scan on Lynn. Even if there is evidence of stroke, which is highly unlikely, it would be possible to say whether this was from MDMA or from other drugs that Lynn had taken. Cocaine or methamphetamine both can cause strokes in some individuals.

No drug is completely safe and MDMA is no exception to this rule. However, the claim that MDMA causes "holes in the brain" is not backed up by scientific research. Such claims are irresponsible and serve to further reduce the credibility of anti-MDMA warnings. If MAPS arranges for Lynn to receive an MRI scan and/or another SPECT scan, MAPS will report accurately and honestly what the results show."

As I said I am pretty sure this is the show they are rehashing. If not I will eat my hat but here is a link from dancesafe.

http://dancesafe.org/48hours.html

Even if it is not they are using the same bullshit tactics used back then

OK i watched this report, if anyone recorded it. please post it, for everyone to laugh at.. TOTAL crap
they talked about the girl who earlier in the year died of a overdose of GBH.. making it out that she died from Ecstasy...

i watched this with my mum and she was pointing out all the flaws in the story how untrue it was.. i was quite in shock!
fucking terrible report.. they only aired one side of the story.. and the only points they made were mostly lies!

I didnt even watch it ! i caught a Quick glimps of it.. and left the room ! i cant belive they Missinform the general public like that 8(

What state are you in? In NSW they did not show it tonight and said tomorrow.

Faustus said:
What state are you in? In NSW they did not show it tonight and said tomorrow.

I'm in WA, if anyone from NSW reads this can they please record and post it, if it will be broadcast on Tuesday night :)

it was the same old propaganda.
holes in the brain, exctasy made out of ajax, pictures of meth addicts attributed to marijuana.

makes me so angry to see such shit which only preys upon the fears of parents.

reminds me of the book by ben elton. this other eden where the tv programs are all negative so that people seek solace in the only positive messages presented which are the adverts.
\
consumerism the new opiate of the masses

Christ, what normal person watches Today Tonight anyway? More than half of their stuff is just shock journalism.

they should show "shonky lebanese bricklayers ripping off the aussie battler while making Ecstasy in home-made labs" . . . that would be a ratings winner for TODAY TONIGHT, as it covers pretty much every story they do . . .

but seriously, anyone hoping for a decent report from this show is kidding themselves - and from what i saw of the shorts, and what everyone else is saying, its simply a re-hash of an american program . . .

poor "journalism" at best . . .

Without watching the show I am sure we all know what we will be in for and there will be very little if any open ended debate on the subject.

In the end though, the people who actually sit down to watch TT or ACA etc as if it is a news program have already made up there minds about the use of ecstasy/MDMA and this episode will just give them a little more scientific cred so the viewers can now back there comments up with the old...

"Well, you know, THEY say that....blah blah blah" 8( 8( :X

I gave em a call to try and see where they got their facts from etc before the show is aired in NSW. But they just gave me the run around and I left messages on 3 different machines at channel 7.

Is there a governing body you can make complaints too etc?

Cheshire Cat ^..^ said:
Christ, what normal person watches Today Tonight anyway? More than half of their stuff is just shock journalism.

Fuck and I thought it was a slap stick comedy ;)

I suggest a few people report today tonight to MediaWatch and complain to the Channel 7 management for such a poorly written story with so many holes.

These guys can't get away with this sort of crap...

Leprechaun said:
I suggest a few people report today tonight to MediaWatch and complain to the Channel 7 management for such a poorly written story with so many holes.

These guys can't get away with this sort of crap...
exactly what I was thinking lep..

Is it all possible we can get a transcript of the program, start a thread about it and catagorically destroy every single flaw that they have presented, then send it to media watch?

Damn schlock journos, why do people watch this crap?