• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Health trivia: Did you know? (Add yours)

Strawberry_lovemuffin

Bluelighter
I thought it might be fun to have a thread with health facts people may or may not know.

We all have varied backgrounds and may be able to enlighten each other!

Try to keep it to one per post, and although you don't need to quote sources, be ready to substantiate your fact if challenged: we don't want to spread misinformation here, just see what interesting bits and pieces you know.

I'll start. Did you know that your body can only absorb 600mg of calcium at a time? So it's better to spread out your calcium intake over the course of the day rather than take mega-doses or eat a calcium laden meal all at once. (and we generally need around 1000mg a day)

Did you know that CoQ10 (aside from being a supplement) is the rate-limiting step in the energy synthesis process in your body? It's found in your mitochondria, the organelles within your cells that produce your energy.

CoQ10 has been succesfully used to treat some mitochondrial diseases (such as MELAS), and can substantially aid in the recovery from heart failure.

^^ In other words (for the laypeople) Coenzyme Q10 is a substance manufactured in the body which when supplemented can be good for the heart and may help delay ageing?

(am I right?)

Did you know... Women need up to 16mg of iron per day... over twice that of men, at around 7mg? This amount increases during adolescence, pregnancy (to a whopping 22-36mg a day), or if exercising heavily.

Brainfreeze isn't actually directed to the head. Its in the stomache.

So rub your stomache when you have a brainfreeze.

Wait a minute...I thought it was do to constriction of blood-vessels in the roof of the mouth (due to the cold, obviously)...

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
^^ In other words (for the laypeople) Coenzyme Q10 is a substance manufactured in the body which when supplemented can be good for the heart and may help delay ageing?

(am I right?)

Yes..it helps delay aging because I believe our natural levels of the enzyme deplete over time...putting it back helps keep the cells like they are younger.

Good stuff. :)

Its too early in the moirning for me to think of something healthy to add..lol Ill come back later. :)

eating a slow release protein source like cottage cheese before bed helps to reduce muscle lost while you sleep as the casein protein reacts with the acid in your stomach to form a gel which is slow release - kind of like a 6hr amino acid drip.

Cinnamon contains a substance called MHCP (I think!) which regulates blood sugar levels - so add it to your high carb foods for greater blood sugar stability.

>>eating a slow release protein source like cottage cheese before bed helps to reduce muscle lost while you sleep as the casein protein reacts with the acid in your stomach to form a gel which is slow release - kind of like a 6hr amino acid drip.>>

What is the best vegetable protein for this purpose?

ebola

Where does one get this CoQ10?

And I'd love to read some research on it that proves it's "anti-aging." That'd be interesting.

sexyanon2 said:
Where does one get this CoQ10?

And I'd love to read some research on it that proves it's "anti-aging." That'd be interesting.

I usually see it in health food stores. I'm sure the internet has it ;)

ebola! said:
>>eating a slow release protein source like cottage cheese before bed helps to reduce muscle lost while you sleep as the casein protein reacts with the acid in your stomach to form a gel which is slow release - kind of like a 6hr amino acid drip.>>

What is the best vegetable protein for this purpose?

ebola

Huh...good question. I would have to say probably soy. You dont have too many options for protein sources as a veggie, do you?

Regardless, the deal is if you are serious about keeping away from an muscle catabolism and staying nitrogen positive through the night, but cannot take a slow absorbing protein like caesin, then my suggestion is to take you veggie protein (soy, or another) and wake up halfway through the night and take a shake.

Seriously...

lickety split said:
Cinnamon contains a substance called MHCP (I think!) which regulates blood sugar levels - so add it to your high carb foods for greater blood sugar stability.

This is a good one..I have a problem with my blood sugar dropping when I havent eaten in awhile..like say, before school in the morning Ill eat a small breakfast but usually halfway through class I get very hungry, dizzy, cant think, sometimes even feel nauseated. Today I made cinnamon toast and put TONS of the stuff on it. I felt a lot more evened out throughout class than on the days I have toast with jelly. Could all be in my head, but interesting none the less. :)

grains contain a fair bit of protein... quinoa up to 12% I think. quinoa is a latin american grain whose crops were destroyed by the spanish when they invaded the continent in order to weaken the population. very nutritious.

MynameisnotDeja said:
This is a good one..I have a problem with my blood sugar dropping when I havent eaten in awhile..like say, before school in the morning Ill eat a small breakfast but usually halfway through class I get very hungry, dizzy, cant think, sometimes even feel nauseated. Today I made cinnamon toast and put TONS of the stuff on it. I felt a lot more evened out throughout class than on the days I have toast with jelly. Could all be in my head, but interesting none the less. :)

nope not in your head at all - jelly (I presume) is going to be largely sugar based, check the ingredients + bread is very high gi (about 75) so eating these two together = very high insulin response so your body overcompensates & will remove too much glucose from your blood making you feel dizzy etc. I'm not a fan of bread but if you want your toast eat it with peanut butter instead as the fat slows absorption. better yet eat a bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon & tell me how good you feel.......

Chewing Sugar free peppermint gum has many positive effects on the body. It helps fight cavities through the production of saliva, it increases your metabolism by constant movement of your jaw and the smell of the peppermint with the repetative jaw movement have been proved to increase concentration and memory by up to 35 percent. So get some Orbit today.

eggROLLS said:
Chewing Sugar free peppermint gum has many positive effects on the body. It helps fight cavities through the production of saliva, it increases your metabolism by constant movement of your jaw and the smell of the peppermint with the repetative jaw movement have been proved to increase concentration and memory by up to 35 percent. So get some Orbit today.

Also peppermint (The smell) stops cravings for food. I've found it helps stop the munchies! :)