• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The First Possible Cannabis Fatality (merged threads)

seethe303

Bluelighter
First Supposed Death from Pot

First death by dope

A MAN aged 36 is thought to have become the first in Britain to die directly from cannabis poisoning.
Lee Maisey smoked 25,000 joints during his 11-year addiction to the drug — due to be decriminalised later this month.

He said he had a headache before collapsing.

Yesterday a coroner recorded that single Mr Maisey, of Summerhill, Pembrokeshire, died from cannabis toxicity.

Afterwards experts warned cannabis was getting stronger — and risks were even higher if it is eaten rather than smoked.

source

the telegraph article:

Cannabis is blamed as cause of man's death

By Richard Savill

(Filed: 20/01/2004)

A man of 36 is believed to have become the first person in Britain to die directly from cannabis poisoning.

Lee Maisey smoked six cannabis cigarettes a day for 11 years, an inquest heard. His death, which was registered as having been caused by cannabis toxicity, led to new warnings about the drug, which is due to be reclassified this month as a less dangerous one.

"This type of death is extremely rare," Prof John Henry, a toxicologist at Imperial College, London, said after the inquest at Haverfordwest, west Wales.

"I have not seen anything like this before. It corrects the argument that cannabis cannot kill anybody."

The inquest heard that Mr Maisey had complained of a headache on Aug 22 last year. Next morning he was found dead at the house he shared with a friend, Jeffrey Saunders, in Summerhill, Pembrokeshire.

Michael Howells, the Pembrokeshire coroner, said Mr Maisey was free from disease and had not drunk alcohol for at least 48 hours. Post-mortem tests showed a high level of cannabinoids in his blood.

He recorded a verdict of death by misadventure because Mr Maisey had died while taking part in an illegal activity. The death led to a warning about the changing strength of cannabis, which is to be reduced to a Class C drug on Jan 29.

Dr Philip Guy, a lecturer in addictions at the University of Hull, said: "Cannabis is not the nice hippy drug it used to be. It has been experimented with to produce stronger varieties."

Dr Guy said that death was more likely if users ate the drug rather than smoked it. "I would not be surprised if in this case the deceased had ingested a fatal amount of cannabis."

Last autumn police issued a warning that big consignments of strong cannabis were being smuggled in from Africa. On Jan 29, cannabis will be reclassified from a class B to a class C drug.

The shadow home secretary, David Davis, said last night: "This highlights what we have been saying about the effects of cannabis all along. When will people wake up to the fact that cannabis can be a harmful drug?

"By reclassifying the drug David Blunkett has shown he has lost the war on drugs. In my eyes, it's nothing more than an admission of failure."

Tristan Millington-Drake, the chief executive of the Chemical Dependency Centre, a charity that provides treatment for people with drug problems, said: "We have always taken the view that cannabis is an addictive drug, unlike the pedlars who try to persuade us that it is harmless. The Government's decision to reclassify cannabis is a mistake."

I think this is bullshit, personally. Just because the guy smoked a lot of joints doesn't mean that is why he died. I mean, if he had a headache and just died, couldn't it have been an aneurysm or something like that?

what a crock of rubbage! fuck england. english suck, everything about england sucks. seriously this article is such bullshit, reminds me of something you'd see on MAD TV or some other sketch comedy show. You cant believe a single word an english news article says.

When will people wake up to the fact that cannabis can be a harmful drug?

when there is real actual concrete evidence that it is. Why are people trying to make cannabis look so harmful when alchohol, a rather well accepted and known killer, is openly sold and consumed in amounts known to cause harm to the body just lingers about in society unnoticed? i dont understand what the fuck everyone's beef with weed is all about. This guy did not die from marijauana, you cant die from marijuana. Maybe he ate some and choked on teh stems.

A man died after complaining of a headache, they do a blood test and find cannabis..but no alcohol. This, of course, shows us that he MUST have died of THC poisoning. God, what the fuck is wrong with coroners in the UK? Isn't there a prerequisite of taking SCIENCE courses before you are licenced to perform autopsies? Maybe he had an anuyrism or something.

BTW the first man who reportedly died as a result of THC was Bruce Lee. One time he smoked hash and had a massive allergic reaction which almost led to his death, the second time he was with his mistress so he didn't have enough time to get his ass to a hospital.

And I am going to be very dissapointed with the UK if ONE man's death can reshape your drug policy. You guys are supposed to be better than us.

more correctly, if you smoke 25,000 joints you will die :)

by the way, that equals 6.2 spliffs per day.

Uh-oh, a single documented case of THC OD, lets all watch as supporters of prohibition use this ONE death as yet another pathetic excuse to push their draconian drug laws down the throats of "Free" citizens woldwide.

BTW - over 150 people are killed in Coconut-related accidents every year... where's the Justice!?! Where's the War on Coconuts?!?!

oh and something tells me he probably took in more tobacco than cannabis if he was smoking spliffs.. i'd be interested to know how it was determined he died of cannabis toxicity

BTW the first man who reportedly died as a result of THC was Bruce Lee. One time he smoked hash and had a massive allergic reaction which almost led to his death, the second time he was with his mistress so he didn't have enough time to get his ass to a hospital.

Do you have a reliable source for that? The story I heard was that a friend gave him a tablet of Equagesic for a headache. He had an allergic reaction to the pain medication and it caused massive swelling of his brain, a cerebral edema, while he was sleeping. He could not be woken up and he died in an ambulance before reaching the hospital. While it's true the autopsy found traces of cannabis in his stomach, it was never directly attributted to causing the cerebral edema.

Thats just plain retarded.
Just like all the heroin "overdose" deaths every year.

i.e. A long-time addict injects a normal amount of yay and immediately dies of massive pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs). For those of us that know Stuff, actual heroin overdose takes between 1-24 hours. If a coroner is unable to find cause of death, but knows the victim was an addict and died after an injection, then "Overdose" is an acceptable conclusion!
You'd think that with 1000's of addicts mysteriously dropping dead every year some type of investigation into the real reason for the deaths would be launched.... but no, who cares about dirty drug users, let em die right?

If the leading cold & flu medicine were killing people mysteriously, scientists would try and find out why immediately. Insted, those who make different choices than others, that are deemed "wrong" or even "immoral" are given the cold shoulder and a Fuck You We Told You So attitude.

rabble rabble rabble
I could go on and on. I'm just glad there are people out there like me who always have to know What-When-How-Why

Want to know more?
1. google ["Consumers Union Report" Drugs]
2. Read it
3. Amaze your friends

rabble rabble rabble indeed my friend

preach on brother beavis!

btw i still love pot!