• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Asthma And Pot

limpbizkid17

Bluelighter
i've been smoking for quite some time now and have had asthma since i was 8....i never have problems with smoking causing my breathing to be bad...i know weed opens the bronchioles but at the same time it harms the lung tissue...but during the winter my asthma always gets bad and i was at a friend's house today who has a cat...i had to leave after not even an hour b/c my breathing was so bad...and now its like, some 7 hours later and my breathing is still irregular...my question is, Do you think if i were to smoke and then take some ventolin my breathing will go back to normal? b/c the ventolin alone is not working and i dont want to be puffing on it all night long...anyone else have asthma and face the same problem? thanks ahead of time....

you might need an albuterol nebulizer treatment, you are probably allergic to cats too... that triggered you asthma. Ventolin might make the weed hit you faster when you smoke it but i really don't see how smoking can help your asthma whatsoever, just stop for a while, go on singular pills or somethin.

Weed helps my asthma.

I'de just like to say that I've been smoking weed for about a year now. Not every day usually, but almost. And I have just come to the realization this week that it is the reason that I haven't used an inhalor that entire time. I've been dry for a week and a half now and the other night I had a major asthma attack. I was just lying in my bed watching a movie. I just about suffocated until I stumbled downstairs and found my cousins inhalor. In the past my asthma was excercise/allergy induced ect. But over the past year I haven't had one asthma attack, even when sprinting or running long distances. I'm going to my doctors next week to talk to him about this. My mom found out that I 'tried' weed 'once' and she said I should do it and gave me a thousand reasons(all propaganda I might add, but what can you say) and one of those reasons was that I had asthma. But I just wanted to let you guys know about my suscess story! And I wanted to know if anybody else has something to add.

I know a kid who smoked a few grams aday and doesnt need an inhaler, but if he goes 24 hours without herbs he has to have his inhaler with him. I dont have asthma so i dont know much about it. Weed is great!

Use of pot to prevent asthma is well recognised, the only problem is weighing up those beneficial effects against the negative effects of inhaling smoke. I guess if you smoke without tobacco and not to often then it will be ok. Eating it is the best option though, rastafarians have used it in tea to treat childhood asthma for generations. I was also interested to find out that thc actually works an antioxidant and targets free-radicals in the brain, which in turn slows the ageing process. So, rather than the old propaganda that pot gives you brain damage, pot is actually neuro-protective. IN YOUR FACE ANSLINGER!
[ 06 June 2002: Message edited by: killarava2day ]

It's all propaganda! It pisses me off so much. That's a horrible misconseption that weed is bad for asthmatics when it's actually good for you. So then you go off and inhale all this artificial government made shit. WTF?? If everybody smoked weed, they'de all think of this kinda stuff....then THE MAN would be fucked.
Lead the Revolution!
/me sits back down to his chair.

All for legaliztion and I don't even smoke anymore. Mairjuana really is a magical plant, with so many damn benefits, but of course the Govt. can't have some pesky plant threaten thier precious oil, pharmaceutical and lumber industries. Sorry....not going to get into all this now...just wanted to say that it has been documented that weed can help treat asthma...but it's not true for everyone. I have asthma and smoking never helped me. Just don't want some kid running for his bowl instead of his inhaler during an attack!

take it from an asthmatic, in the long term, weed is definately not helping you. i %110 gaurantee it.

as an asthmatic for the past 19 1/2 years of my life (i'm 20), i'm not sure if weed helps or hurts... but i do know i love smoking the stuff! i've needed my inhaler a lot more recently, but i think that's the cloves that i've gotten into, not the weed... peace

Originally posted by day_for_night:
take it from an asthmatic, in the long term, weed is definately not helping you. i %110 gaurantee it.
As a fellow wheezer, I agree with that statement 127.3% Give me Combivent over buds any day!

day_for_night
Administrator
posted 07 June 2002 02:26 (ip)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have mild exercise induced ashtma and I smoked weed and cigarettes for five years at least three times a day and for 4 1/2 years every time I smoked my friends thought I was losing a lung. I don't even smoke every day anymore but when I do I have to take a few inhaler puffs before I smoke otherwise I won't stop coughing to the point where my face turns red and sometimes I cough so hard I actually throw up...yet I keep smoking? Something wrong here?

I used to have asthma pretty bad as a kid ( Im 20 now) but its gone away almost completely. Anyway i too was interested in pot and its effect on asthma and researched it about a year ago. I read that smoking a small amount of ganj acts as a bronchodialator but that too much negates this positive effect. If you want an alternative to smoking pot though, drinking a full 8-9 glasses of 8 oz. of water a day will do the trick, also going vegetarian helps a lot and cutting out dairy is a plus. So next time instead or reaching for the albuterol, reach for your pipe 'n puff!

Its true that marijuana does help some people with asthma, but some peoples conditions are so extreme, any smoke will puit them right into a lengthy coughing fit/asthma attack. But I do recommend a vapouriser! This will put THC into you just by breathing the smoke-less vapourised bud, I'm sure this would be a much better solution than smoking if you have asthma.

I dont know about long term effects on asthma but I know that it certainly helps asthma attacks.
im an asthmatic & I know that pot helps me more than my inhaler... i diidnt have my inhaler one day when i had a bad attack & i couldnt sleep or nothin.. smoked some pot & within 5 mins it cleared up.. id been awake with asthma for the past few hours so i was happy i could finally get some sleep. the dry smoke seems to get rid of all the crap in ya throat & open airway...
it says on erowid that pot is the best known substance to man for stoppin an attack....
on the other hand ciggers close ya air way.. make ya asthma worse.. so if ya have asthma attack dont touch ciggers but feel free to smoke some pot to clear it up............

Ya know, I've been smoking cigarretes a lot recently. Increased steadily over about a year. I started smoking cigarretes because it increased my high. But then I kept smoking them. Anyway, in my dry spell I smoked a lot of cigarrettes. and I even had a really nice cigar a day before my attack. I've recently made up my mind to stop smoking cigarrettes. I can't stand em when I'm stoned now. I can taste all the bad shit in my mouth. I almost puke. I'll be done with em soon. And what Mescalito said about the water thing. I've started drinking that much water every day (and SoBe...."Chase The Lizard"...) it's helped a lot. And about the dairy. I've had a lot of stuff the past week with dairy including drinking just plain milk. And I was kinda rejecting it. It tasted pretty bad. (Keep in mind I was stoned when making these conclusions[which I completely trust]). So I'm seriously stopped drinking milk and also I don't eat beef anymore. All because of things I've realized when I was stoned. Damn this herb. It messes everything up. It teaches me so much. It helps me learn this shit. Damn it's crazy.... I gotta go.
Thankz for yo help guys. Peace!!
[Se|/en]

More power to ya if the weed helps, fuck yeah man, thats cool as shit,,.,Keep the toking going strong and pass the news to legalize it ,.,for it really does have medical use.,LOL! Late

i was just wondering, if smoking pot can cause asthma, my mum seems to think so. i had an asthma attack a few days ago and last week i smoked a joint with some friends.

it just seems that everytime i have an asthma attack, i smoke marijuana before hand. is it coincidence or what???
i know this may seem like a dumb thread/question but im serious.....

ive smoked cannabis alot, and only 3 or 4 times have i had the attacks.....

I too have asthma & smoke pot.
ive read that pot can open airways & in some ways can be used to medicate asthma (unlike ciggers which close airways. pitty I cant find the link.
it sounds like a coincodence. I find that asthma has alot to do with the weather (if its cold & foggy)
pot has more tar than ciggers but only a small amount of pot is smoked compared to the amount of plant material smoked by an average cigger smoker a day.
if u have asthma try packing small cones into a bong which has water to cool the smoke down & dont mix it with tobacco & take your preventer puffers.
it tends to help my asthma if I smoke it corectly.
I also find the stronger the pot the better.