• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Asthma And Pot

Pot can actually be good for asthma, although smoking it can be detrimental. As far as I know eating pot is quite beneficial for asthmatics, in jamaica it is a quite common remedy. A study conducted in Hungary concluded that the muscle relaxant effects of THC could be good for asthma and could be used to devolp drugs to treat the disease sometime in the future.

thanks for the welcoming (Sex)(On)(X), ive still got the asthma 'attack' atm, i think it was just the ciggies, but i was still a bit weary about smokin cones tonight with my mates, i will wait til it dies over.

but yeah, thanks for the help!!!!

my best friend's brother has asthma, and he finds that smoking cannabis without tobacco helps him breath and relax the lung muscles, but I have no sources of scienfitic evdience to support that, but it's just what I noticed when i have sessions with him.

i used to have chronic asthma and have had asthma since i was 3 (now im 16)... i smoke daily and ever since i started smoking about a year and a half ago i haven't had to go to the hospital or use my nebulizer... 2 months before i started smoking i spent 3 weeks in the hospital because of asthma. i think pot is good for asthma (for me atleast) and i dont think your attack was cuased from smoking.

Marijuana cured my asthma. Just kidding. Seriously though, I used to have asthma when I was younger, swimming helped me rid myself of any asthma problems. I have been smoking rather heavily off and on for the last 3 years or so. My asthma has not returned in any way or form. I am still reasonably very fit. I guess every case is different.

Ganja was actually one of it not the main prescribed medicine for asthma in the United States before it was outlawed.
Yes, it's true.
Haven't you ever heard Peter Tosh's "Legalize It"?
"Good for asthma..."
Not that he's the authority (even though he is on weed) but like others have said, herb opens the bronchial pathways of the lungs.
Such a little plant, so much fear, but so much to offer!

I've had asthma for five years now smoked cigarettes for 7 and toked for 8. Ijust recently quit the cigs and kept up with herb. I haven't really had any bad asthma attacks since I quit with the cancer sticks. Since I'm mostly a sarcastic person, all my friends keep me high for most of the day becuase they say I'm nicer when high....I love my smoke and toke buddies :D

1. Don't smoke ciggers or only smoke occationally.
2. Smoke weed but dont take massive hits that'll hurt your throat & use cold water in ya bong to cool down your smoke. (or just get a vapourizer)
3. Go swimming, gets stronger muslcles & get used to holding your breath every few seconds.
4. Sleep in a clean atomsphere, make sure theres always fresh air.
5. Watch what u eat or drink. I notive alot of milk can trigger asthma or maybe it's just me.

I have had asthma my whole life also and have smoked pot and cigareetes for the last 14 years. Occasionally smoking pot can cause an asthma attack mainly because its (the smoke) is an irratant, although sometimes a hit or two will seem to have the opposite effect and loosen my breathing. Granted that is probably from just the relaxation the MJ brings to my body.

Yeah maryjane usually helps asthma because if i remember correctly it opens up "something" in the lungs? Ciggs are bad for asthma because they have the opposite effect and close "something" in the lungs.

heh I'm not sure what that something is maybe someone could help me out here?

i've had asthma my whole life. it got much worse at 16 when i started smoking cigs but since i quit at 21 (now 23) asthma has cleared up and now only rarely present. still smoke pot now but. could be due to just less smoke passing through lungs every day... who knows.

Get yourself some medication anyway for the asthma, keep it handy just incase.
good luck

These are several excerpts from a pamphlet I got from the Hash Marijuana Hemp Museum in Amsterdam:

Marijuana is:

* The SAFEST theraputic drug known to man. No records of death from marijuana.
*The best expectorant to void the lungs of smog.
* The BEST KNOWN overall bronchial dilator.

--

Eighty percent of asthmatics could add two to four years to ther life spans, by using marijuana over the presently legal toxic medicine used by asthmatics.

--

Marijuana is also the supreme dilator if the airways, the bronchi, opening them up to allow more oxygen into the blood. Marijuana is the best dilator of the little air tubes of the lungs, the bronchioles.

Medical research indicates that light marijuana smoking would be therapy of choice for mild emphysema to allow more fresh areas of bronchi to open up for more transfer and increase the quality of life for tens of millions of sufferers of emphysema.

--

Marijuana has been proven to:

* Help emphysema patients to breathe better, increasing oxygem transfer.
* Relieve asthma attacks and improve breathing

It says a bunch of other stuff in there too, but I just thought I'd point out the pertinent stuff.

i think that my asthma has helped me enjoy pot more. i've been taking medication for asthma for like 3 years now so im guessing that my lungs are more open than most people. and before i smoke pot at my house i do my inhalor so my lungs are more open and i can hold in more smoke.

Just merged a few threads together for anyone interested in Pot and Asthma. I still recommend a vapouriser if you're going to try medicate yourself with weed to stop asthma. Smoke is bad for you no matter what.

Here's some posts from another thread that might be useful too.

TABula rasa said:
don't know if this is helpful or not, but weed is a bronchial dialator. this means, unlike cigarettes which cause the tissue in your throat to contract, weed will actually open you up a bit. i find when i'm sick and coughing a lot that smoking a little weed relaxes the muscles in my throat and helps me breathe better. of course, this also probably has to do with the fact that i'm a hopeless pothead. as for congestion, i'm not really sure, but i suspect that, if anything, it would reduce congestion. try exhaling some hits through your nose and see what happens.

Dr. Quack said:
THC is a bronchial dilator in small dosages, the unfortunate down side is that it is filled with other chemicals which can cause irritation and congestion. It has been used as an asthma treatment, but is not very effective because it can cause bronchitis and other smoking related lung problems over time. Your nasal passageways as well as lungs can become irritated from any type of smoke, marijuana is no exception here. I know of more than a few people who have asthma and can absolutely not smoke pot or anything else with out having an attack.

Splatt said:
Just merged a few threads together for anyone interested in Pot and Asthma. I still recommend a vapouriser if you're going to try medicate yourself with weed to stop asthma. Smoke is bad for you no matter what.

Nice thread !! :) And maybe even better would be to eat it, not as convenient, but overal it's a lot healthier. However, if you do want to smoke something, just vaporize, that's also imo the most practical.