• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids your morning on methadone? (upset stomach)

I get the rotten feeling but I think it has to do with my metabolism and digestive system slowing to a crawl then being jacked back up before I take my daily dose of methadone.

Eating is very helpful in making your does last better and will in turn will mean you don't require taking much to make it till your next dose. And there is the added benefit you could get by it helping not make your stomach queasy...

When i first switched to methadone I always forced myself to eat before dosing... then as you get farther along in the program it becomes routine, that combined with your body leveling out after a while after the orginal switch from your D.O.C to methadone, you wont even have to force yourself anymore. I found eating before dosing very helpful in making my dose last better and helping my stomach..

I was on a relatively large amount of herion when I started the program and i was experiencing chronic pain. I found that 65 to 75mg was plenty and I never woke up feeling bad, I probably could have (and maybe should have) gotten away with less. When I started to taper down I never ran into any problems at all and never felt the slightest bit of withdrawal and had no problems sleeping at all.. I was surprised cause I heard all these horror story's about how bad it was at certain points for certain people I talked to that did the taper (of course you remember the horror stories not the good stories)..... but i know the longer you stay on it the more routine it becomes and there becomes a huge psychological role involved too. You breaking from the routine is harder the longer your on it. You have a whole mental aspect to get past... I didn't want to experience anything like that very bad so I had a goal - to get on methodone, avoid really bad withdrawals that always sent me back to using and to start to learn to live without drugs, and then to get off methadone in a timely fashion. I didn't want to replace one drug for another and when it came time to quit methadone have to experience what I heard some have experienced.

I know for some it may be necessary to take for long periods and is definitely better than using herion. I met people who had been on it for years and years, some I met had been on it for 10-15 years. What ever it takes and what ever works for you is by far the most important thing, but I had a goal I wanted to stick to.

I went up to something that held me just fine (maybe even a little to high a dose), and was there for less than two months or so and then immediately started to taper myself down somewhere around 1mg a day... total of around 5 months in the program. It worked for me and had no bad withdrawal from the methodone during my whole program..

It worked great for me and I wanted to share my experience incase anyone else may be thinking of trying the methadone program to quit their DOC and was wanting ideas or if someone just wants to taper off... you can do it and don't be afraid

It's definitely the Methadone, guys.

It happend to me A LOT when I was on MMT.

I discussed this with my PCP, he Rx'd me PROMETHAZINE, as an Opiate adjunct. It's FDA approved for this very purpose.

Ever since that day, I never had that problem again.

I highly recommend Promethazine for whoever suffers from Methadone induced Nausea, morning/motion sickness, etc.

Eating is very helpful in making your does last better and will in turn will mean you don't require taking much to make it till your next dose. And there is the added benefit you could get by it helping not make your stomach queasy...

When i first switched to methadone I always forced myself to eat before dosing... then as you get farther along in the program it becomes routine, that combined with your body leveling out after a while after the orginal switch from your D.O.C to methadone, you wont even have to force yourself anymore. I found eating before dosing very helpful in making my dose last better and helping my stomach..

I was on a relatively large amount of herion when I started the program and i was experiencing chronic pain. I found that 65 to 75mg was plenty and I never woke up feeling bad, I probably could have (and maybe should have) gotten away with less. When I started to taper down I never ran into any problems at all and never felt the slightest bit of withdrawal and had no problems sleeping at all.. I was surprised cause I heard all these horror story's about how bad it was at certain points for certain people I talked to that did the taper (of course you remember the horror stories not the good stories)..... but i know the longer you stay on it the more routine it becomes and there becomes a huge psychological role involved too. You breaking from the routine is harder the longer your on it. You have a whole mental aspect to get past... I didn't want to experience anything like that very bad so I had a goal - to get on methodone, avoid really bad withdrawals that always sent me back to using and to start to learn to live without drugs, and then to get off methadone in a timely fashion. I didn't want to replace one drug for another and when it came time to quit methadone have to experience what I heard some have experienced.

I know for some it may be necessary to take for long periods and is definitely better than using herion. I met people who had been on it for years and years, some I met had been on it for 10-15 years. What ever it takes and what ever works for you is by far the most important thing, but I had a goal I wanted to stick to.

I went up to something that held me just fine (maybe even a little to high a dose), and was there for less than two months or so and then immediately started to taper myself down somewhere around 1mg a day... total of around 5 months in the program. It worked for me and had no bad withdrawal from the methodone during my whole program..

It worked great for me and I wanted to share my experience incase anyone else may be thinking of trying the methadone program to quit their DOC and was wanting ideas or if someone just wants to taper off... you can do it and don't be afraid
I can see eating a healthy meal probably helping. Just don't have anything that raises stomach PH or else it will eat that dose up a lot quicker. I metabolize the methadone really fast. I went up as high as 120mg to try and have a full 24 hours of relief. I would probably benefit from a split dose but I dont have the will power to take half a dose in the morning and half at night.I have full carries and will try it one of these days,

This is opiates period.
I get this from h when I shoot up and over eat the night before , I end up waking up with all that undigestd food sitting there and I get massive knots and ties in my stomach of pain usually happens 4-6 am and lasts anywhere from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours and it's usually only after I puke up eveything including the bile that I'm sort of back to "normal" which whatever that means to us lol.

So yes this is common, my friend who smokes tar not shoots it like me also gets this problem when he wakes up after eating on opiate munchies

Waiting to have coffee until after your morning dose may help as well.

It's definitely the Methadone, guys.

It happend to me A LOT when I was on MMT.

I discussed this with my PCP, he Rx'd me PROMETHAZINE, as an Opiate adjunct. It's FDA approved for this very purpose.

Ever since that day, I never had that problem again.

I highly recommend Promethazine for whoever suffers from Methadone induced Nausea, morning/motion sickness, etc.

Yes, promethazine and Zofran are what are commonly prescribed to deal with the nausea of daily methadone.

Being on MMT wears out your body not nearly as much as junk tho

Starting to take of yourself can solve alot of problems

Morning vitamin intake eating whole quality foods eating more fruits and vegetables quitting smoking

I get nauseous late night or early morning occasionally it's the start of withdraw setting in that can come in different forms

You also want to take Metamucil a fiber supplement not much half tablespoon a day to make sure you use the rest rest room on high doses

Having your stomach upset without any other withdraw symptoms is a bit unusual and you could start with overall health

Ugh, methadone. Love hate relationship. Was on it for 7 yrs and kicked cold turkey. The half life wasn't long enough for me, I metabolize drugs quickly. I stayed off opiates for a year and now I'm on 24 mg Suboxone, 150 mg tramadol, 1200 mg nuerontins, and 50 mg amitriptyline. SOOOOOO much better

Waiting to have coffee until after your morning dose may help as well.

Yes, promethazine and Zofran are what are commonly prescribed to deal with the nausea of daily methadone.

I regularly use the first one (OTC here in UK) but was surprised to see the second mentioned, not aware of ondansetron prescribing for opioid nausea... I have known many people on large prescribed doses of methadone, morphine, oxycodone, fentanyl and others (mostly fellow Brits but also in the US, Canada, Aus/NZ & mainland Europe) ---
and while most find the nausea wears off after months or years of regular use, those who still have it typically get by with first generation antihistamines (like promethazine, cyclizine or cinnarizine.) In the most severe cases I've heard of Metoclopramide being Rx'd for this, but never ondansetron- considered the most "hard core" anti sickness drug and only licensed in most countries for nausea/vomiting caused by cancer treatment or following GI surgery.

Is it really that common in the US?

Not to wonder off topic if you could briefly describe the active relationship with buprenorphine and tramadol
I understand where the neurontin comes in bupe has a blocking effect but tramadols mechanism of action is different

I regularly use the first one (OTC here in UK) but was surprised to see the second mentioned, not aware of ondansetron prescribing for opioid nausea... I have known many people on large prescribed doses of methadone, morphine, oxycodone, fentanyl and others (mostly fellow Brits but also in the US, Canada, Aus/NZ & mainland Europe) ---
and while most find the nausea wears off after months or years of regular use, those who still have it typically get by with first generation antihistamines (like promethazine, cyclizine or cinnarizine.) In the most severe cases I've heard of Metoclopramide being Rx'd for this, but never ondansetron- considered the most "hard core" anti sickness drug and only licensed in most countries for nausea/vomiting caused by cancer treatment or following GI surgery.

Is it really that common in the US?

Well, I can't say exactly how common it is in the country, but I was surprised to run into a number of people prescribed it for this (as was I). I ran into fewer people using promethazine for this, although I'm aware it is rather common.

They are strict when they prescribe zofran, and for some reason for me if I gotta puke during withdrawals no amount of zofran will stop it...

In fact it makes it worse sometimes cause now you're in between about to puke it out and in between fighting not being nauseas and it's this middle limbo state I get in and still end up throwing up breaking through the zofran like my body needs to puke it's a defense mechanism that's not good to inhibit all the time .

My mom has food posioning that's how I came up on the Zofrans and they only gave her 9 pills 4 mgs ...

They are strict with it I don't get why ? There's no legit anti nausea medication you can buy over the counter "Dramamine" lol

Also, I'm wondering since I'm not feeling well, is it ok if I took my dose a few hours sooner than my normal time?? Just don't wanna get sick or anything if I do. Plus I'm on 150mg.. does that matter?? It's been a while. Let me know if you guys think I'll be fine or not k??..Stay blessed