• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids your morning on methadone? (upset stomach)

i wake up, dont wash, dont eat, usually dont go to the toilet.
straight to my car, and to the clinic for my 120mg dose. for me methadone doesnt last 24hrs like its supposed to.
if its a day when i have a takehome i wake up very early, drink all 120mg of it, and go back to sleep for 3-5 hours to wake up at a 'normal' time for me.

thats my morning on methadone. oh, and i go to toilet for #2 about once a week. this was bad before i started opiates but now with methadone its once a week like clockwork. i dunno, i dont feel bad, and when ive had my bowels emptied, i feel fine although the whole process feels painful but i can bear it. i bought a laxative from the drug store but for some reason i havent used it even though i bought it 2 months ago. guess my once a week bowel syndrome doesnt bother me THAT much...or should it?
Man this is sad.

I have been on methadone since I was 21 ( I'm 29 now), and I really only experienced stomach issues when I used to drink alcohol on a daily basis. I will say that I eat a relatively healthy diet, exercise regularly, and drink enough water to ensure that I have daily BM's. I currently am on 65mgs/day, but have been on as much as 120+/day at different times in my life. I too have acid reflux issues, but no nausea to speak of on a regular basis. Hope you get better. God bless.

I definitely feel this way every morning before I go and get my dose (i'm on fifty milligrams, so not much higher than you-that's assuming it's 1mg/mL). I always have described it as "My stomach is rotting". A bit melodramatic, but it's true. I've never understood what this was from, but methadone is not the only opioid that has caused it. When I took Suboxone and even Heroin I would experience it too.

Man this is sad.

actually i'd rather take my situation rather then the 'my stomach is rotting' feeling and all the other EXTREMELY WEIRD shit ive read in this thread. i just wake up in w/d's cause the methadone don't hold me for 24hrs, thats why i go get my meth first and then start my day like a normal person.

I been on MMT for 8 months. At first I had alot of nausea but if I take my dose on an empty stomach then eat a bit after it seems to really help. Also I get very carsick on it in the morning when I first dose....
Try not eating after 7 or at least not 3 hours before bedtime. Then drink water or yea, dose n eat a small meal. It works well for me. Also sometimes the stomach pain can be caused by constipation. I get this really bad n use teas and prunes to help. They have vitamins as well specifically for people on MMT called Vitadone.
All of this has helped me, hope you get some use outta it. Good luck <3

I am on 50MG Methadone per day and i Take my dose (pills) as soon as I wake up. It takes me about an hour to get away from the nauseous, sour stomach feeling. Lately, I have had no real appetite and when I do eat, I start to feel sick right away. It's like I eat to live, not live to eat. I'm going for an endoscopy next week because I have the sensation that something is caught in my throat. It's not acid reflux, but a really strange feeling of swallowing, belching etc. Also, my stomach has a general soreness to it all day.
I also wake up in the middle of the night, 3:15 AM like clockwork, Have a cig, read until my eyes start drooping.
Getting ready to go out to dinner, but not looking forward to it.

Im on 50mils (130mg) of Methadone per day and have been so for the last 3 years roughly.
Ive had 3 typs of Methadone, two liquids and then the 10mg Tabs, a bit of a hassle to down 13 tabs per day for some people (not me) but
you don't get that horrible taste of liquid methadone...

I don't care what they sweeten those things with they all taste like utter crap.
Some days after I have taken my liquid dose, like 5-15mins after I can get VERY nauseous and have actually puked up my dose in the past.
I would choose the pills over liquid any day but the program doesn't want their MMT patients on the pills because they say
that it will "remind" us that we are popping a lot of pills or something in that ballpark. I think its crap but who am I to set the rules.

I'm a post liver transplant patient, so I get written scripts every month for my methadone dose. I guess it beats going to a clinic, but I would rather have the liquid if I had a choice.

Yes also here get gnarley stomach noises/upset stomach. I started done about exactly 4 days ago. Maybe it will go away after get used to it as people say in earlier posts, also started at 30 mg and am at 35 blaHHHHH... It feels like the methadone is sitting in my stomach or something. Hey Jeff post liver transplant guy, i'm sorry to hear that, hope you are doing ok at least man!!!

First off this is an old thread so TB you may not get a reply from 3 years ago. But my main thing to add is I had the same exact thing happen i would literally plan to be sick every morning like dry heaving in pain woken up by my stomach. It would clear in about 30 mins to an hour but I wouldnt be able to move in the morning. It wasnt withdrawal or anything as it would clear before i got dosed. It went away shortly after i came off methadone but i couldnt accept a new job that started early if i wanted because id literally have to wake up an hour early to ensure i wasnt sick and i mean crippling pain sick.

I wish i saw this when i was in pain my mother was so worried and i told her im not going to a doctor paying with no insurance and having them tell me its probably the methadone.

This is an old thread that was bumped but I'll leave it open since it appears people have been continuing to add to it over the years and it's a common complaint.

Methadone

Well ive been on methadone for about a year and a half now , i cant remember when i first started feeling this but most mornings i wake up and my stomach feels rotten for about 30mins to an hour at most, usually a cup of tea helps but i am thinking of getting back in to work but this really puts me off as i usually have to sit around in the morning for that hour until i feel ready to get moving and do anything

Was just wondering does anyone else get that in the morning that is on a meth script ?

Im on 40Ml a day down from 90ml originaly although i do my metimes take less for a few days and then about 100ml on a saturday cos thats when i most want to go out and get some gear so it helps me stay away from the temptations a bit better
I've been having this Problem for about 6 months now, it is Anxiety of That Day, Anxious, and knowing you need to take your dose at certain times gives any Drug User bubbleguts before taking their dose lol that's a given. It takes mean hour to get right,I have to Take my Dose,drink Cup of Coffee than I can get dressed and start my day, but I'm about to start taking my Dose 1 hour Earlier than usual to hopefully skip morning diarrhea/Nausea. Hope it works cause like u said your stomach does feel Rotten its hard to explain that pain, your not the only 1 either, plenty of people Clinic say same thing. I've seen people shit there pants waiting on the Clinic to Open. Its Morning Bubbleguts, also eat Dinner a Lil earlierI learned that helps also. METHADONE IS A LAUGHING MONKEY ON MY BACK!!! I HATE IT BUT NEED IT

i had this issue as well, some mornings i would dry heave or throw up bile but it wasn't all the time and most morning i would take my dose i would then throw up. eating some saltines or bread would help as it helps to line the stomach with something before inducing that vile liquid called methadone. lol anyway, just wanted to tell ya you're not alone. (now this was back in 2005 when I was on methadone for 5 years but still relevant)

I'm currently on 25 mg from 125mg. I constantly wake up with panic attacks, sweating etc like full withdrawal by 4am. I take my medication at about 12pm every day but by 4 am I'm withdrawing. I don't really have any side effects EXCEPT when I go to the bathroom. I get this stabbing pain in my intestines, until my business passes. It's horrible
, but once that's done.

Welcome to BL Spacexwitch! So I take it you're tapering? Why not stay at 25mg until you've stabilized on it? It shouldn't take more than a couple weeks. Regardless, taking a week or two off your taper would probably benefit you. Tapers shouldn't be that uncomfortable, if they are it's because they're proceeding to quickly for the person's body chemistry to adapt in the allotted time frame or there are other issues going on.

Is the pain related to your GI system distressing enough for you to see a doctor about it? Do you have regular bowel moments? Constipation can definitely cause the discomfort you're talking about. I found eating fiber with lots of water (I found fiber cereals much more effective than fiber supplements) and trying a stool softener can help (avoid stimulant laxatives as they can cause more issues with your GI issues).

At the very least, most clinics provide clients with fiber pills. If it's all you can get, take them up on their offer when you dose to take fiber (just make sure to drink a fully 12oz of water after taking it).

to get rid of the throwing up, take dose with chaser of some kinda of soda,coke, pepsi, mt dew etc. works like a charm and now i dont throw up.

I find ginger tea to work best, but carbonated beverages can work pretty well too. Actually, Altoids or another strong mint or two right before and after really can help as well.

Better yet though, get some Zofran from your doctor. It is a very effective anti-nausea medication commonly prescribed to people taking opioids to deal with nausea like methadone.

I was on methodone for 5-6months... I could imagine if the liquid I had to take was 1mg/1ml that your stomach would be upset .... that's alot of liquid...

What i was taking was 10mg/1ml. ...I never got above 75mg (7.5ml)... and I'm glad I didnt... i chose to go down about 1mg a day for two months and I experienced zero withdrawals.....I hear so many horror stories I'm glad I did... do yourself a favor and don't just keep taking more, if I would have been in the mindset of more is better then, I would have been up to 200mg+ no problem... they don't care how much you get up to (at least where I was) ...so make what ever your getting stistanable and work, you will level out... then get off it asap so you don't become stuck

Methodone can definitely work...