• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Your ideology on what ‘Existence’ is.

Consciousness is a tricky bird. I wouldn't consider it the bed rock of existance.

Some of my argument is simply the vague definition of consciousness that the English language allows. I see a dividing line between awareness and consciousness because of the definitions I hold in my head. If I use awareness I'm referring to my state as pure observer not my state of conscious of self.

As a human my conscious state barely has any input from my body. My brain receives millions of inputs a second from my body but consciousness is only handed a few hundred of these inputs, the unconscious brain decides what to prioritize for the conscious me. To me consciousness is like the last layer before the story teller me that tries to make meaning out of my experience.

Consciousness isn't aware of much, it has no idea how it built this body it is in yet it thinks it did.

To know that one exists requires more than consciousness, it requires self consciousness. Am I correct?

To know that one exists requires more than consciousness, it requires self consciousness. Am I correct?
Yea to an extent, in Philosophy consciousness is said to be aware of ones existence. Sentience is to experience feelings, or sensations, so being/animal/etc that can experience even fear, or pain is sentient in the term itself. Though I’ve already got a 1500 word, and counting for a long time, essay now I dedicated myself to because of your specific comment with this.
Give me like, 2 weeks and I may do another post like this on what consciousness is. 🥴

Awareness comes long before self awareness. These are two completely different concepts.

As a human I imagine my boundaries to Start and end with what I see as "me". Lower down the life tree this becomes a blurry boundary when we reach flocks and hives and other interlinked separated beings acting as one. How self aware are they? Group aware for certain and aware as well of self in some instances. Ants will die by the thousands to complete needed repairs.

Our genetic material was tested and created in the life before us. We are more independent and have less of these lower basic traits of other before self. Long before life on this plant made it to the level of self aware it was co-operative, we can go outside and see the examples. Alternately I can look at my own body which houses trillions of micro organisms which clearly are not me but in some cases they access my CNS and communicate with my brain as if they were me. I Don't consciously control much on my body, there are billions of events happening all over my body daily, I'm conscious of my stubbed toe.

Consciousness and the thinking portion of the human brain where most of humanity spends it's focused time is a tiny tiny window of what's really happening in your body both physically and energetically.

Depending on what definition your using for consciousness (I am assuming awareness of self and other). This puts consciousness right below the story teller or top level function developed late in evolution.

It would be correct to say consciousness is the bedrock to human thinking but it's a late arrival to our being.

Awareness comes long before self awareness. These are two completely different concepts.

As a human I imagine my boundaries to Start and end with what I see as "me". Lower down the life tree this becomes a blurry boundary when we reach flocks and hives and other interlinked separated beings acting as one. How self aware are they? Group aware for certain and aware as well of self in some instances. Ants will die by the thousands to complete needed repairs.

Our genetic material was tested and created in the life before us. We are more independent and have less of these lower basic traits of other before self. Long before life on this plant made it to the level of self aware it was co-operative, we can go outside and see the examples. Alternately I can look at my own body which houses trillions of micro organisms which clearly are not me but in some cases they access my CNS and communicate with my brain as if they were me. I Don't consciously control much on my body, there are billions of events happening all over my body daily, I'm conscious of my stubbed toe.

Consciousness and the thinking portion of the human brain where most of humanity spends it's focused time is a tiny tiny window of what's really happening in your body both physically and energetically.

Depending on what definition your using for consciousness (I am assuming awareness of self and other). This puts consciousness right below the story teller or top level function developed late in evolution.

It would be correct to say consciousness is the bedrock to human thinking but it's a late arrival to our being.
I’ll have to say I respectfully disagree in what you by its very essence, I just won’t have my write up done on consciousness for another 2ish weeks.

I'm sure a redefinition of consciousness will move the "goal posts".

I'll come back and see where you're heading in two weeks once you've defined the arena.

Now why are you becoming rude? What is with this site and people who do that shit, I’m just researching the 9 types of Metaconscious, and while I’ve yet to garner a full encapsulated view of what it all in the greater sense is, I do have a few ideas of which I’ll lean when I finish.

If you plan to be a insufferable about it though, you’re more than welcome to yanno, go away? I’m not forcing you to sit here, leave. I don’t deal with snarky shit like that. “Oh you have a different opinion, you must be moving goal posts, I know I’m right and therefor if you agree you’re wrong!!”
🗿🗿

Umm you just wrote you were working on a definition of consciousness....

There's nothing at all rude in my post. If you're seeing something rude it's not me putting it there.

You're response might be rude once you understand I literally just said I'd wait til you've defined the arena then see if what I'm saying has Merritt.

I know what I'm talking about and I'm not being right or wrong. I'm trying to discuss it with you in your terms of reference.

I'll wait til you've defined them.

It doesn’t matter how you “intended to use the phrasing.”
This right here is an obvious attack on character, telling me you are sure that the “redefinition…blah blach.” redefining of what???? I’m not “redefining” a damn thing, these are notes on the 9 types of meta consciousness, touched on by contemporary philosophers. I’m just reading all the theories, finding one I agree with & at the same time typing the important know who and how’s into my notes in my wording/summary. I’ve done it for nondualism, fatalism, and utopianism, I’m doing it for theories of consciousness now.

Moving on, let’s give you a benefit of the doubt, what if I did plan to “move the goal posts”, what would I have moved them from because I certainly had no concrete belief prior to this discussion.

You're response might be rude once you understand I literally just said I'd wait til you've defined the arena then see if what I'm saying has Merritt.
It doesn’t have any merit though..? Don’t try to gas light me, jesus what are we, 12?
know what I'm talking about and I'm not being right or wrong. I'm trying to discuss it with you in your terms of reference
You obviously aren’t trying to discuss jack diddly in reference if your numero uno reply to me saying I want to get more knowledge & reading done is
will move the "goal posts".
Yep 🗿 definitely a non objective stance you planned to take there.

Yea to an extent, in Philosophy consciousness is said to be aware of ones existence. Sentience is to experience feelings, or sensations, so being/animal/etc that can experience even fear, or pain is sentient in the term itself. Though I’ve already got a 1500 word, and counting for a long time, essay now I dedicated myself to because of your specific comment with this.
Give me like, 2 weeks and I may do another post like this on what consciousness is

Hey, let's all step back a bit and chill... :cool:

absolutely !

But what importance is existence without some form of consciousness?

Some, to be sure ... but of what importance is it to any given individual, and how does this differ from individual to individual.

Just to clarify by individual I mean organism, not human.

Yeah I'd say you're having an emotional melt down over something in your imagination.

I can't even see what you're trying to accuse me of at all.

You said you would take two weeks to define consciousness better because you disagreed with my statement. I'm just gonna wait til you set the goal posts.

You're really being a bit too fragile I'm not even disagreeing with you except in reference to what we are using as the definition of consciousness. So rather than argue when we don't know where the goal posts are I'll wait til you define them.

Not rude at all.

Hey, let's all step back a bit and chill... :cool:

absolutely !

But what importance is existence without some form of consciousness?

Some, to be sure ... but of what importance is it to any given individual, and how does this differ from individual to individual.

Just to clarify by individual I mean organism, not human.
The issue where I’m studying is, there’s the broad Transitivity Principle that states, “I am conscious, because I am aware I’m conscious.”
Then there’s the 9 representationalism theories that seek to further describe their different views on the subsets of consciousness and awareness.

Yeah I'd say you're having an emotional melt down over something in your imagination.

I can't even see what you're trying to accuse me of at all.

You said you would take two weeks to define consciousness better because you disagreed with my statement. I'm just gonna wait til you set the goal posts.

You're really being a bit too fragile I'm not even disagreeing with you except in reference to what we are using as the definition of consciousness. So rather than argue when we don't know where the goal posts are I'll wait til you define them.

Not rude at all.
& You're seriously manipulative my dude, still ignoring what you intended to say, and playing “oh woe is me, it is you that is wrong not i.”
🗿

I dislike conversations with you already, I don’t know exactly what this ignore feature does here, but pls further me into finding out.

Beyond the engineering control known as the "Ignore Function" is one that exists in each and every individual.

That is the freedom to simply not respond.

There are no points taken off if an individual does not respond to a post.

To not respond is indeed an action ⚡

Beyond the engineering control known as the "Ignore Function" is one that exists in each and every individual.

That is the freedom to simply not respond.

There are not points taken off if an individual does not respond to a post.

To not respond is indeed an action ⚡
I’d functionally ignore someone though, 🗿 I’m not looking for brownie points, or philosopher points. I dislike him, his attitude, and his keen sense of gas lighting. So, to incur myself into happiness routes, and away from the likes of a person who leads me to being annoyed through hypocrisy. I’d just block entirely, as that’s functionally the best route to keep someone out of my eyesight.

So I've looked up what gas lighting is. Not a term I've been accused of before but it fits since you're also accusing me of being rude when I don't believe I was. It appears defending myself by saying I wasn't is gas lighting. What would be the correct term I can use socially to say you've misunderstood me that doesn't cause this?

So I'm not here to piss you off or argue with you about my character or even my motives or actions.

I used the term moving the goal posts because it fit. You find the term rude so I'm sorry. I'll wait til you define the terms before re-engaging in the discussion on existance.

So go back to my post read it and write you're piece on consciousness so I can read it and comment back.

Existence is futile.

Lol, seriously though. If the question in the thread title is taken literally, then the answer is simple. Existence is "what is", and "what is" is everything, and everything is all things, and...you get the idea.

If you're asking for theories on where we come from or why we are here then that's a whole other conversation.

While I don't have answers, I can say that it has something to do with crab people.