• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Tolerance Yikes, ~5 month T-break broken lately and surprised how different strain effects can be

BourbonMac

Bluelighter
It was great, at first. I was smoking on Northern Lights. I chose a different strain tonight called London Mints 11 and I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high. Oh my God. Turn it off someone please lmao..

The Northern Lights was absolute perfection. Zen. Peace of mind and body and soul. The London Mints is like my body weighs 5,000 pounds and I cannot focus on a single thing. At all. I just had to make a thread because I'm honestly fucking overwhelmed right now lol. This is the longest T-break I've taken in uh... ever, since I started 11 years ago. I wasn't always smoking daily, but I started to by 2017. Reasons for T-break were mainly related to complications with sinuses that require surgery this month, took forever to get to the bottom of it. After I got over the hard part I just kind of sat on my stuff not really thinking about it.

But I just said whatever, let's see what happens. I had some of the best highs I've ever had, and then I try a different strain and it's the opposite. How can it vary this much? When my tolerance was higher, I could tell differences in strains, but generally it was consistent. Sometimes I'd get those super whopping strains that I might've overdone with some kief, but I usually wasn't getting to a point where I felt too high. Usually I'd just hit a ceiling.

But still occasionally I would have a strain like the northern lights I have now that's like, totally zen, perfection. I wish I could find out how to find strains like this easier. Both are indica, and it's been long debunked that indica/sativa have anything to do with the high. So maybe there is a lot in the terpenes. One of the best strains I ever smoked was some homegrown lemon haze from a friend. The buds weren't special, pretty leafy and airy. But it was just like this northern lights. I think lemon-ey strains have historically been pretty good with me, but like, most of the stuff granted I smoke at night would put me in a chilling haze no matter what. Tonight it's more like... I feel this strange sense of shame almost, which is kind of out of place. Thinking too much basically. The N.L would just make me think happy thoughts and chill. Like wow, I've never experienced this level of difference in effects until I took a T-break (maybe I could notice them sometimes when I was new, but usually it was just a mindfuck no matter what I smoked)

Northern Lights is a classic : easy to grow and easy to smoke. Id be keeping some seeds of that aside should society collapse and we have to start again.

It could also just be THC % that delivers your experience too, if you smoke a certain amount each time say.
Terpenes can play a major role though i believe they do appear to alter the experience in fact its one of the key elements of CBD dominant strains. They matter even more when you are consuming more than 1 strain together (good ol mix n match)

Does sound like to me though you took a long break, your tolerance dropped then you tried some strong and new weed so it had strong effects.

One of my first medical marijuana experiences (about 12 years ago) was at a Mom & Mom shop (lesbian shop owners). They specialized specifically in growing northern lights. Most shops at the time were outsourcing their buds from lord knows where so it was nice to see a large in house operation done right.

I had the strain previously but not done to perfection like these kind ladies had done. Phenomenal nose. Soft and warm feelings when smoked/vaped.

It's getting more difficult these days to find a Mom & Pop shop (or Mom & Mom) so I'm not sure what to say. Good luck!

It'll be a year this month that I went from being a daily smoker (over 10 years) to only smoking once every 2 or 3 weeks. The difference is huge. My tolerance is so low that I can only do one hit and that's usually enough to last a couple hours. Any more and I get too high, which causes me anxiety and I start to rattle.

#bringbackmids

weed these days is honestly too strong for me

I’d like to be able to smoke a whole blunt and not have a panic attack. but like others have said, a few hits and I’m sent into the stratosphere

#bringbackmids

I’d like to be able to smoke a whole blunt and not have a panic attack. but like others have said, a few hits and I’m sent into the stratosphere
although the act of smoking can be pleasurable this was the reasoning behind making weed stronger so you smoke less overall

However this makes smoking joints/blunts less enjoyable because it goes stale , cant beat a nice freshly rolled one of either
this is why i switched to vaping, so i can choose what i want when i want amount wise and never have to vape old or stale

although the act of smoking can be pleasurable this was the reasoning behind making weed stronger so you smoke less overall

However this makes smoking joints/blunts less enjoyable because it goes stale , cant beat a nice freshly rolled one of either
this is why i switched to vaping, so i can choose what i want when i want amount wise and never have to vape old or stale
That’s a good point

I mostly use a dry herb vape too

But sharing a nice fat 2 g backwoods with some buddies will always have a special place in my heart lol

#bringbackmids

With a tolerance I loved the heavier strains but even some of those would get me so stoned I couldn't move. It was often the flower that looked airy and stemmy that gave me a more uplifting, functional high. That type of homegrown that you rarely see these days.

Turns out with this N.L, it's way higher in THC-V, which apparently is more associated with functional, heady highs. This may explain why the difference is literally black night and blinding day.

With a tolerance I loved the heavier strains but even some of those would get me so stoned I couldn't move. It was often the flower that looked airy and stemmy that gave me a more uplifting, functional high. That type of homegrown that you rarely see these days.

Turns out with this N.L, it's way higher in THC-V, which apparently is more associated with functional, heady highs. This may explain why the difference is literally black night and blinding day.
yeah I can’t handle the real sedating strains either. everyone says to try an “indica” if you have weed anxiety but in my experience the couch lock/extreme stoning just makes it worse

I try to go for so called “sativas”, but unfortunately it’s not legal where I live, so I’m at the mercy of my dealer. I never really know what strain I’m getting

It’s probably not the best way to do things, but I normally have 1-2 drinks to take the edge off of the weed paranoia

It tends to be enough to make the weed high somewhat pleasurable again at least

Northern Lights is a classic : easy to grow and easy to smoke. Id be keeping some seeds of that aside should society collapse and we have to start again.

It could also just be THC % that delivers your experience too, if you smoke a certain amount each time say.
Terpenes can play a major role though i believe they do appear to alter the experience in fact its one of the key elements of CBD dominant strains. They matter even more when you are consuming more than 1 strain together (good ol mix n match)

Does sound like to me though you took a long break, your tolerance dropped then you tried some strong and new weed so it had strong effects.
Northern Lights is high THC content induces a near-immediate sedative effect accompanied by an uplifting, carefree euphoria that melts away stress and anxiety.

I find it not that sedating to be honest. It could be about the THC-V, but I've also been smoking very little. But the uplifting, carefree euphoria, anxiety relief and enhancement of creativity is amazing and consistent 100% of the time. It's the other one that was so sedating I went brain dead and I smoked no more than I would've the N.L

try smoking the cookie crosses

they never get me too high

purple punch if you're feeling like a lightweight

bubble hash is nice too when you're on the comeback tour

#bringbackmids

Right? Some of the mids that had nice round buds with a slight pine/earthy smell were pretty good for being able to smoke all day, and share with lots of friends without costing a lot.

I don't even know where to get any mids these days. Everything is strong now except poorly grown/cured stuff, which honestly is worse than the mids I'm remembering.

BCs

that's what we called anything that looked good but didn't work good - because thats how most of the bud from BC Canada was

100% pretendicus

Well the N.L did get me a little too high last night, but I took a massive rip, my biggest in like, a long time. Was a good reminder that THC is THC, really.

It wasn't anywhere near the other shit where I went totally stupid. Sort of had that feeling of being "too far inside myself" where I start to think back on things I might've said or done and just have this bad, uncomfortable feeling. I realize now this was actually a pretty common thing for me. Particularly during the day, it'd often just make me feel outta place, like the world is all busy and I'm just sitting here stoned. I don't know if my use will ever ramp up to what it was or if I'll smoke during the day now. It used to just be something to do to take up time, when I could've just been productive or like, doing anything else.

I'd often ust feel self-conscious and shy, overly introspective smoking during the day, sometimes even at night as I had last night. But I think there can be value in that. Easier to just smoke less or smoke only at night lol, which is my intention from now on for the most part unless I'm out with some friends or something. Whole different story vs. smoking alone.

Bud that looked but didn't work good, that's been a lot of purple strains for me. They're beautiful and tasty but clearly a lot of growers drop the temps too soon and kill some THC, or whatever. I had some strawberry runtz months back though that was incredible, that one had to have been done right. Frosted leafs like lucky charms kief and a beautifully fruity smell.

I honestly just wish all this was more consistent for me in general. A lot of people just get high and it feels the same pretty much no matter what. That's never been the case for me. That could be a positive or a negative, I think it adds a bit of excitement when I come on to a new strain, but after stopping from smoking for many years and starting again, I realize there honestly weren't that many strains I smoked that had this like, "perfect" high. I can maybe think of 5 strains or so that every time I smoked, day or night, it was just maximum chill and largely able to function, just in a dazey, carefree way.

I think I do envy people who feel the same no matter the strain, but that'd only be if it was the same type of chill each time. I DEFINITELY feel differences and they can be quite remarkable. While most weed would make me more shy in general, cause of the whole more introspective thinking, some would make me wanna party and dance and everything in the world was amazing (looking at you loctite, you wonderful strain you)

I remember smoking "ninja fruit" and it was fucking TERRIBLE. My entire body became motionless. I couldn't move. I couldn't do anything, catatonic. That's the last thing I want when I get high. I always liked a hard stone before bed but now I realize I want the headier stuff the most. This N.L is very heady despite it's 95% indica, but it's obvious by now indica/sativa don't really determine anything but physical structure. I think it's pure coincidence that some sativas happen to have heady highs.

I think at the end of the day I just had a tendency to overconsume. I'm pretty sensitive to THC even if I smoke every day. I'd just hit a ceiling by ~0.5g where I can't get any higher if I smoke more. I need to treat it with true moderation and just learn to corner the pipe once and call it. I want the most benefits out of this plant that I can get and I realize I just wasn't getting that before. I've danced with valium for months now and I'm looking to ween off soon in place of this, which was my original chill out for the night thing till my sinuses decided no, you can't do that anymore. Crazy stupid how I end up on a benzo in place of THC, seriously, but I've at least only taken 10mg a day for 4 months as of now.

I just need to be careful and know when to quit puffing. I'm sure my tolerance will build and it'll be less of an issue. But that doesn't change the fact that I had a lot of uncomfortable highs before, mainly because of bad timing. But I do need to get my sinus surgery in 2 weeks and then I'll have to take another break and have to be even more careful with tiny puffs after like, 10 days maybe.

At the end of the day I think typical addict behavior in me just had me smoking too much sometimes, and it ramped up a lot last fall which is likely what ended up leading to fucking my sinuses more. I wouldn't say I have heavy addictive tendencies but they are there, as evidenced by my use in circumstances when I knew it would likely not have me feeling too good (like, 75% of daytime highs for me). But those rare strains with good day time highs, I won't forget them. Or the ones that just made me feel good a majority of the time. I gotta really preserve this northern lights.

A lot of marijuana to me is a love of the culture, the history, it just feels like being part of something really special, it's more than just the drug. There's also the nostalgia of that smell, that lighting and smoking. And the wonderful experiences it can bring when used appropriately. I suppose there is a chasing the green dragon element of that for me, but it'll never be like it was when I was first starting to toke at 17-18. They were the best years of my life so I automatically associate weed with positive things.

Damn I always be writing books when I'm high huh

Last edited:
Well the N.L did get me a little too high last night, but I took a massive rip, my biggest in like, a long time. Was a good reminder that THC is THC, really.

It wasn't anywhere near the other shit where I went totally stupid. Sort of had that feeling of being "too far inside myself" where I start to think back on things I might've said or done and just have this bad, uncomfortable feeling. I realize now this was actually a pretty common thing for me. Particularly during the day, it'd often just make me feel outta place, like the world is all busy and I'm just sitting here stoned. I don't know if my use will ever ramp up to what it was or if I'll smoke during the day now. It used to just be something to do to take up time, when I could've just been productive or like, doing anything else.

I'd often ust feel self-conscious and shy, overly introspective smoking during the day, sometimes even at night as I had last night. But I think there can be value in that. Easier to just smoke less or smoke only at night lol, which is my intention from now on for the most part unless I'm out with some friends or something. Whole different story vs. smoking alone.

Bud that looked but didn't work good, that's been a lot of purple strains for me. They're beautiful and tasty but clearly a lot of growers drop the temps too soon and kill some THC, or whatever. I had some strawberry runtz months back though that was incredible, that one had to have been done right. Frosted leafs like lucky charms kief and a beautifully fruity smell.

I honestly just wish all this was more consistent for me in general. A lot of people just get high and it feels the same pretty much no matter what. That's never been the case for me. That could be a positive or a negative, I think it adds a bit of excitement when I come on to a new strain, but after stopping from smoking for many years and starting again, I realize there honestly weren't that many strains I smoked that had this like, "perfect" high. I can maybe think of 5 strains or so that every time I smoked, day or night, it was just maximum chill and largely able to function, just in a dazey, carefree way.

I think I do envy people who feel the same no matter the strain, but that'd only be if it was the same type of chill each time. I DEFINITELY feel differences and they can be quite remarkable. While most weed would make me more shy in general, cause of the whole more introspective thinking, some would make me wanna party and dance and everything in the world was amazing (looking at you loctite, you wonderful strain you)

I remember smoking "ninja fruit" and it was fucking TERRIBLE. My entire body became motionless. I couldn't move. I couldn't do anything, catatonic. That's the last thing I want when I get high. I always liked a hard stone before bed but now I realize I want the headier stuff the most. This N.L is very heady despite it's 95% indica, but it's obvious by now indica/sativa don't really determine anything but physical structure. I think it's pure coincidence that some sativas happen to have heady highs.

I think at the end of the day I just had a tendency to overconsume. I'm pretty sensitive to THC even if I smoke every day. I'd just hit a ceiling by ~0.5g where I can't get any higher if I smoke more. I need to treat it with true moderation and just learn to corner the pipe once and call it. I want the most benefits out of this plant that I can get and I realize I just wasn't getting that before. I've danced with valium for months now and I'm looking to ween off soon in place of this, which was my original chill out for the night thing till my sinuses decided no, you can't do that anymore. Crazy stupid how I end up on a benzo in place of THC, seriously, but I've at least only taken 10mg a day for 4 months as of now.

I just need to be careful and know when to quit puffing. I'm sure my tolerance will build and it'll be less of an issue. But that doesn't change the fact that I had a lot of uncomfortable highs before, mainly because of bad timing. But I do need to get my sinus surgery in 2 weeks and then I'll have to take another break and have to be even more careful with tiny puffs after like, 10 days maybe.

At the end of the day I think typical addict behavior in me just had me smoking too much sometimes, and it ramped up a lot last fall which is likely what ended up leading to fucking my sinuses more. I wouldn't say I have heavy addictive tendencies but they are there, as evidenced by my use in circumstances when I knew it would likely not have me feeling too good (like, 75% of daytime highs for me). But those rare strains with good day time highs, I won't forget them. Or the ones that just made me feel good a majority of the time. I gotta really preserve this northern lights.

A lot of marijuana to me is a love of the culture, the history, it just feels like being part of something really special, it's more than just the drug. There's also the nostalgia of that smell, that lighting and smoking. And the wonderful experiences it can bring when used appropriately. I suppose there is a chasing the green dragon element of that for me, but it'll never be like it was when I was first starting to toke at 17-18. They were the best years of my life so I automatically associate weed with positive things.

Since I've only been smoking ever 2 or 3 weeks since a year ago, I've also found it easy to accidentally overindulge. Sometimes when I hit my friends little bong, I get a heavy chest cough and feel an intense buzz that leads to a little anxiety and the verge of a panic attack even though I haven't crossed that line yet. *knocks wood*

Once I was at my other friend's house and hit a little too hard. Then my friend was like, one of my music students is coming over in a few minutes so you gotta leave. I was in no way prepared to hit the highway at that moment. I couldn't really blame him because he had no idea my tolerance was so low. I somehow made it to a Burger King and ate even though I wasn't hungry. Sobered me up enough to make it home in one piece.

I relate a lot bro. Especially with what you say at the top in regards the overthinking loops that can occur. Used to happen to myself when I was younger and in the shameless wake'n'bake phase. I found with time, maturity, proving to myself that I could actually hold my shit down and undertake different types of responsibility and 'adulting' that these feelings would subside. Of course going through lean periods of not smoking definitely helped with this.

I'm just outta a year off of smoking also and the past few weekend have been indulging and it's been great. Really smooth. Although the lethargy can definitely be noticeable if overdone and the Sunday night end of the show kief layered doobie often does send us a bit too high accompanied by body tremors/slight anxiety. Just one to ride out until tolerance builds - although I don't think it will build that much considering it's just a weekend/fortnightly thing currently.

Speaking of which, I do actually find a lot of the benefits and best aspects of cannabis only reveal themselves when I'm using regularly and have the tolerance to match. It integrates a lot better and I can vibe with the high a lot more. On the flip side, over indulging becomes too easy and getting into the routine of being stoned all the daze can weigh heavy.

Another thought - perhaps your comment on all strains seeming like they're having the same affect on you is due to the vigorous homogenisation and in-breeding that has gone on within the cannabis gene pool in the past 20 years +. The diversity is being wiped out to be honest. We need an old world/landrace/heirloom genetic renaissance in my opinion.