• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Yerba Mate! Mega merged thread.

The store down the street sells it for a dollar an ounce, which is good enough for me. They only put about 6 dollars worth on the shelf at a time, which I don't understand at all.

I'm sure there are just as cheap places online.

tried it for a while but ultimately found canadian ginseng to be superior for long-term use. my problem with yerba, and this is the same problem i have with coffee, is that it's a bona fide stimulant. ginseng provides the energy of a stimulant without the nasty sketched out feeling that comes with consuming a bunch of coffee and yerba. not a freaking diuretic either and having to piss every five seconds can be really annoying at work

congrats on 10k posts Deja :)

Extracting Yerba Mate?

So i LOVE yerba mate so much, i drink it almost everyday, and its the corner stone to my social ability. Some may call it an addiction but i call it medicine.

Any way, i want to know if i could extract the active chemicals in yerba mate without any advanced chemistry knowledge. I was thinking using a Grain Alcohol extraction somewhat similar to doing a mushrooms extract extraction. Figured having the pure extract i could add it to my favorite 100% natural juices and still get the amazing effects.

If this was possible, what would be the proper dose?

Why not just get loose yerba mate, make it and mix it with juice?

I have no idea how to make a tincture/extract.

I also drink yerba mate daily but I mix it with loose black tea and it's the same thing as Celestial Seasoning's Morning Thunder but cheaper.

Yes i drink the loose mate, but lately i have to drink ALOT to get the same effects.

Pff ;) Everything is linked to cancer

What I'm saying is we just plain need to know more. Personally though, I would avoid it. But that's just me, and to be honest, maté is quite disgusting. I used to work in a quality loose lea shop for over a year.

Im a slight feind for caffeine, and coffee give me the jitters hardcore, the mate just does it right for me.

And as for the taste, thats why i wanted to get a pure extract. That we i could add it to my 100% juices. To get the effects without the taste.

Well when you extract something(ANY plan sample) you pull out whatever is polar to that solvent. llex paraguariensis contains plenty of alkaloids and other organic compounds you'll be extracting as well. You'd have a few more steps to go before crystalline caffeine.

Im not looking for crystalline caffeine.

Im looking for all of the alkaloids in the yerba its self, in a more concentrated form so i dont have to drink 6 cups of tea to reach desired effects.

I want to be able to share it with people who cant stand the taste of the tea, as it has many many healing properties.

Im not looking for crystalline caffeine.

Im looking for all of the alkaloids in the yerba its self, in a more concentrated form so i dont have to drink 6 cups of tea to reach desired effects.

I want to be able to share it with people who cant stand the taste of the tea, as it has many many healing properties.

as it has many many healing properties.
^Like the ones I mentioned above? lol

But seriously, a simple ethanol extraction will remove the bulk of the plant material while leaving the actives. You could take this even further( much further, actually)....but I get the feeling I should be treading water when it comes to explaining complex chemical extractions to you...

Ive never herd anything about yerba linked to cancer. It cant be any more dangerous then ingesting research chemicals, street drugs.

I thought about the ethanol extraction. Im no advanced chemist, but if theres steps to take that im not going to kill my self with, please enlighten me. Its not illegal by any means to extract yerba.

I've heard that the yerba mate itself does not cause throat and esophageal cancer but that the hot temperature of the liquid does. There's lots of contradictory information out there about if yerba mate is carcinogenic or if it's not and it helps prevent cancer.

http://www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/questions

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar/16/health/he-nutrition16

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/yerba-mate/AN01774

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69297.cfm

I drink yerba mate at times when I don't want to drink coffee and I want to cut back on coffee, but I just drink 1-2 cups of it in a day, and sometimes I'll mix it with black tea.

Apparently in Central and South America people drink a lot more yerba mate than that on a daily basis.

If its the heat of the liquid, then any tea or coffee even hot choclate is going to cause the same effect. Lately, i have been drinking about 4 large cups of yerba a day, made through a coffee pot. About 3/4 of a pot. Hence the reason im looking for a way to extract it.

If the extract does not work, im going to switch to the traditional way with the filtered straw. Glad someone else knows about yerba.

It sounds like you drink too much of of the stuff if you're looking for a way to concentrate and distribute it :p

Maybe take a break, then go back to drinking a normal quantity?