• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

yerba mate as maoi?

Said what? The correct assumption would be "Don't use random combinations of 4 drugs at once". Amphetamine has effects mainly on DA- & NE-levels (releaser); tramadol resp. its metabolites possess combined opioid-agonist activity (no subtype-selectivity), NE-reuptake inhibition and 5HT-release; caffeine does all kinds of stuff including (slight) rise of BP, increase of heart rate etc.; kavalactones have effects on DA-levels and one of them is a MAOI ... and these are all only the most relevant activities. 8)

Thank you for the (obvious) information, oh wise one 8)

btw does anyone have any sources citing the actual amino acid content of mate?
most of what i've found simply states that it contains 15 amino acids, which obviously isn't very helpful

If this was so obvious, why did you take the combo in the first place?

btw does anyone have any sources citing the actual amino acid content of mate?
most of what i've found simply states that it contains 15 amino acids, which obviously isn't very helpful
Try this. The mentioned levels are ridiculously low and can't see any reason in citing them. The nutritional value is next to zero.

Thanks for the link :)

Looking back at that thread, i now recall i had been taking tramadol, zolpidem and adderall together daily for 1 month+

Why i did it i don't know. According to my posts here, i was well aware of the interactions at the time, tho I regularly slipped in and out of psychosis late 09-10' so my memory of that time is pretty fragmented

Last edited:
Ive also read it to be a MAOI inhibiting MAO Type B. But Honestly Guys just because its a MAOI doesnt mean its dangerous. Tobacco contains MAOIs (b-carbolines) as does Coffee (b carbolines again) as does Tea (Catechins). None of these makes big sideeffects. Also theyre all reversible, whilst the MAOIs known for making grave interactions are all irreversible.

And for that one there:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but i just felt the need to mention something here..

Last year i had a hypertensive crisis from a combination of: yerba mate+kava+tramadol+d-amp (residual/in my system).. Not being an expert, i assume the kava and tramadol caused most of the problems, but i'm sure the addition of yerba mate couldn't have helped

Just be careful and don't consume copious amounts of mate like i did; especially while on powerful stims
lol^^. Of course when you mix a SNRI with amphetamine and consume a relative strong MAOI like Kava you dont have to expect any different if you dont watch your dose. The Mate surely is only a minor factor for it...

mfg M3ph

just remember its been established by J ott that reversable maois, anr't bad to break the diet with atleast. some recent thereafter drugs could be this way?
Couldn't you not do caffeine if there was a nonreversable maoi?

I'm not sure what you are trying to ask anymore..

I think the statement was made that many commonly used substances have (reversible) maoi properties, weak at that, such as tea coffee and ciggs etc..

but problems occur when combining stronger irreversible MAOIs with other drugs like SNRIs and amphetamines.

AFAIK kava is a reversible maoi. (though its not clear particularly, to me at least, which of the many active chemicals in it trigger which effects in Kava: GABA, MAOI, etc)

Good to know that Kava contains a MAOI as well.
I use kava to get rid of my headache that a night (or two or three) of etizolam gives me when it left my system.
On top of that I like to drink a lot of mate and have recently been taking amphetamines every few days.
Its impossble to explain where the spaced out feeling comes from

Writing all this out makes me realize how rediculous this is and should keep these drugs apart for a few days.
Or quit them and fix my life :\

Good to know that mate should be fairly safe with other drugs

It's an extremely weak MAOI, just like how coffee is with the the beta-carbolines in it are MAOIs as well. Or how dark chocolate, tea, and cocoa are also MAOIs.

Coffee has more caffeine than yerba mate and is apparently a more powerful MAOI according to the first link below; but people drink it like crazy even people who should avoid MAOIs.

http://biopsychiatry.com/coffee-maoi.htm

This is also an interesting link about yerba mate:
https://www.reddit.com/r/tea/comments/24gzey/yerba_mate_a_maoi/

There's also a mega thread about yerba mate in healthy living:
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/219317-Yerba-Mate!-Mega-merged-thread

Last edited: